Apple unveils 64GB iPod touch with faster processor for $399

Comments

• Reply 101 of 260
    Agreed. Not impressed. Bland, safe, minor update.

I'm in the group wanting the Touch to be an iPhone without the "phone". Obviously, that would drive the cost up, and Apple chose to keep the price low (or the margins high). Meh. It's their business. I'm also not impressed that the speed boost didn't happen across the line; it keeps the market fragmented into "slow" and "fast". Which will developers target? Is it easy to target both, with some graphical glitz automatically disabled on the "slow" machines? Adding some of the "toys" people have wanted - camera, GPS - in addition to raising cost may have not fit in the current case and required thickening.

The nano is now a feature packed little gizmo. The Touch is a *shrug*, whatever.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 102 of 260
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UltimateKylie View Post

No its not out... September 15th at Walmart, Bestbuy, Amazon, Newegg.

But I know your just being sarcastic and being a typical fanboi instead of having a mature discussion about why Apple should have included FM Radio and OLED. Why allow your competition to be better? Its not like the specs for the Zune have been secret (unlike Apple). Its been known for months it would have OLED and Tegra.

What's a fanboi? Lazy-speak much?

As to your substantive points: (i) There are tons of superb FM apps for the Touch; (ii) FM is dying as we speak; (iii) I understood the Zune is expected to have FM HD (whatever that means); (iv) Why do you need OLED for something the size of a Touch screen? (vi) What about all that the Zune will not come with (for starters, not Mac-friendly)?

If/when the Zune is introduced, let's come back and have a chat about exactly what it has, what it does not, what works, what does not, etc., and then compare it to the Touch.
  • Reply 103 of 260
    Well it goes back to this. If you have an iPhone (like me) this doesn't really matter to you unless you want a second PMP for some reason (car, house, boat etc).

If you have an iPod Touch 1G or 2G, your probably not gonna upgrade now as there is no real compelling reason unless your running out of space. If you do upgrade, you will want your app investments to work and will go with the iPod Touch

IF YOU ARE NEW, you have a iPod Nano or Classic. You have a Zune. You have another brand. You are finally looking to get a touch based PMP. Provided you don't need to worry about DRM, won't you look really hard at the ZuneHD before your purchase. Apple could have killed the ZuneHD if they had done more spec changes than just storage update.

All in all, it will result in lost sales of Apple. Only time will tell how much, but the Zune HD WILL do better now then if Apple had upped the game.
  • Reply 104 of 260
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Ok now get this.................I'm still shaking my head as I type this..............

Apparently, the new ipod nano only does video......no still pictures. Yes, a digital video camera that is not able to take still pictures............. \
  • Reply 105 of 260
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Ok now get this.................I'm still shaking my head as I type this..............

Apparently, the new ipod nano only does video......no still pictures. Yes, a digital video camera that is not able to take still pictures............. \

.....Videos that you can't post directly to YouTube nor mail to anybody directly.

Still cameras sell more than videos cameras yet Apple cares to go after this Flip? The logic will come to me - someday, somewhere, somehow.
  • Reply 106 of 260
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

What's a fanboi? Lazy-speak much?

As to your substantive points: (i) There are tons of superb FM apps for the Touch; (ii) FM is dying as we speak; (iii) I understood the Zune is expected to have FM HD (whatever that means); (iv) Why do you need OLED for something the size of a Touch screen? (vi) What about all that the Zune will not come with (for starters, not Mac-friendly)?

If/when the Zune is introduced, let's come back and have a chat about exactly what it has, what it does not, what works, what does not, etc., and then compare it to the Touch.

"If/when?" What are you on... its coming out next week. The specs are final. There have even been positive reveiws by the press. All that is waiting if final release in a week and the take on how the first consumers review it.

If FM is dying (as fanbois have said for years) then why is Apple wasting money to include a FM chip in the Nano. HD Radio is an expansion of FM that allows you to receive more high quality stations in the same spectrum. Its like ATSC in the fact that one Channel can transmit more than one station at a time.

OLED will give you true blacks when watching movies. So it makes for a superior experience even on a small screen. Its why I picked up a a Plasma over LCD when I bought my TV. Sure your making fun of it now... but Apple will pick it up eventually and eventually even our Macbooks will have OLED or a variant.
  • Reply 107 of 260
    Regarding the new iTunes... have apple regionalised it? In my Library list it says "Films" instead of "Movies" and if I hover over a film it says "Play Film" and not "Play Movie". Or was this done a while ago and I missed it? This is soooo good because I really got into the habit of saying "let's watch a movie" and my friend's looked at me wierd. Silly UK thing, I know, but it made me happy. None of today's announcements seem particularly noteworthy, except maybe selecting playlists AND particular artists to sync.
  • Reply 108 of 260
    b747b747 Posts: 27member
    Looks like my 2G 16GB Touch will last another year.

No reason to upgrade. I'm very surprised they removed the 16GB option too.
  • Reply 109 of 260
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kamisama View Post

Sept. 9 is my birthday, and just a week ago, my wife asked me, "What do you want for your birthday?". I told that I wanted a new Ipod 64GB touch with the "new camera/video" features, to replace my first gen 32GB Ipod touch. Looks like that ain't gonna happen. It was nice to see Steve back in form, but it was a GIANT MISTAKE to leave the camera off of the touch, and instead, put it on the Nano??? WTF??? Apple is going to lose tons of ipod sales this season, because of this major oversight. Not sure what to think. As one of the Apple faithful, this is one of the most disappointing releases yet. Because of this, Zune will probably gain more sales momentum this season.

Guess I'll have to get a Windows based netbook for my birthday.

The rumor world isn't representative of the real world. Most people don't know about the camera rumor, nor do they know about the ZuneHD, but they do know about the iPod Touch. A larger update would have brought in more ipod touch upgrades, that's true, but we have no idea why Apple left the camera out, so I wouldn't jump to call it a mistake.
  • Reply 110 of 260
    I could care less about there being no camera?GPS and/or compass would have been better?

?but I?m not pleased with the discontinuation of 16GB, which would have been the right size at around the right price. Also no inline mic for the 8GB sucks. If I have to add $29 to get the inline mic, I might as well add $71 and get 24 more GB.

It seems as if Apple is forcing people into the 32GB model, so their stated $199 magic price point is really a bait and switch game.

It?s also clear that all of the love went into the Nano. Does this holding off on adding features to the Touch portend a possible next refresh with XL and XXL screen models, because it seems as if the new Touch is just a stop gap between what was and what could be the legitimate ?desktop-like experience? that Schiller overstated the case for.
  • Reply 111 of 260
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcmlxix View Post

I could care less about there being no camera?GPS and/or compass would have been better?

?but I?m not pleased with the discontinuation of 16GB, which would have been the right size at around the right price. Also no inline mic for the 8GB sucks. If I have to add $29 to get the inline mic, I might as well add $71 and get 24 more GB.

It seems as if Apple is forcing people into the 32GB model, so their stated $199 magic price point is really a bait and switch game.

It?s also clear that all of the love went into the Nano. Does this holding off on adding features to the Touch portend a possible next refresh with XL and XXL screen models, because it seems as if the new Touch is just a stop gap between what was and what could be the legitimate ?desktop-like experience? that Schiller overstated the case for.

I just want to make sure we're all on the same page here. But there is a mic on the new ipod nano with video. I'm just kinda surprised it doesn't do still pictures too. I would think a software update would enable it to do still pictures right?
  • Reply 112 of 260
    Quote:

I just want to make sure we're all on the same page here. But there is a mic on the new ipod nano with video. I'm just kinda surprised it doesn't do still pictures too. I would think a software update would enable it to do still pictures right?

You are correct. It only takes video and does have a mic. It could be updated to take pictures by software but I doubt it since I'm sure the camera is probably pretty crappy and enginereed to take YouTube quality video.
  • Reply 113 of 260
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UltimateKylie View Post

You are correct. It only takes video and does have a mic. It could be updated to take pictures by software but I doubt it since I'm sure the camera is probably pretty crappy and enginereed to take YouTube quality video.

Yet has no WiFi to post it to YouTube? Sounds very convoluted.
  • Reply 114 of 260
    Hey, anybody know why on the Apple iPod site the 8GB Touch is listed as a separate and distinct model from the 32 and 64 GB model? (other than that it doesn't come with the mic remote ear buds)

http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/specs.html
  • Reply 115 of 260
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

He's right, y'know. Why offer large fonts if they're not allowed? Take 'em out.

OK, makes sense, I'll see what the others think.

Quote:

Jeff, be careful what you say dude. Seriously. You did your job, you edited the posts....now don't say a word more to me.

EDIT: I decided to edit my post at the last second before you responded. Seriously, drop it.

Now the other problem is someone making some vaguely threatening comments, and getting needlessly angry over what's really an electronic trinket.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcmlxix View Post

I could care less about there being no camera…GPS and/or compass would have been better…

…but I’m not pleased with the discontinuation of 16GB, which would have been the right size at around the right price. Also no inline mic for the 8GB sucks. If I have to add $29 to get the inline mic, I might as well add $71 and get 24 more GB.

That is puzzling, I assumed it was a given that the 16GB model would be the new low end.
  • Reply 116 of 260
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Yet has no WiFi to post it to YouTube? Sounds very convoluted.

Oh I agree. There should be WiFi Sync and WiFi YouTube posting (which makes it all the more confusing the Camera is not in the iPod Touch).

The Zunes have done WiFi Syncing very well...
  • Reply 117 of 260
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Hey, anybody know why on the Apple iPod site the 8GB Touch is listed as a separate and distinct model from the 32 and 64 GB model? (other than that it doesn't come with the mic remote ear buds)

http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/specs.html

It isn't a new model like the 32 GB and 64 GB versions. The are keeping the 2nd gen iPod touch around at a reduced price just like the 8 GB iPhone 3G.
  • Reply 118 of 260
    Doesn't Apple typically have a refresh in October too? If so, which product family does it usually pertain to?
  • Reply 119 of 260
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

It isn't a new model like the 32 GB and 64 GB versions. The are keeping the 2nd gen iPod touch around at a reduced price just like the 8 GB iPhone 3G.

The Apple Store does say that the 8GB model is updated (as opposed to new). Who knows exactly what was updated relative to the previous model?
  • Reply 120 of 260
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

He's right, y'know. Why offer large fonts if they're not allowed? Take 'em out.

Like anything, it can be abused. If I type the alphabet over 10,000 times in a post I surely couldn?t use the excuse the you shouldn?t let me type letters if you are going to police how I use them. That said, I have seen many posts that use the markup text quite effectively, but I wouldn?t care if it went away. Though I?d personally rather see personal sigs go away. Some people have overly large sigs.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jodyfanning View Post

Apple prices still a ripoff in Europe. We didn't get any pre-event discounts and $ is still converted straight to ?. At the moment 1? = $1.45.

There are nothing like enough differences in taxes to make up anything like that kind of overcharging

Are you accounting for import taxes, VAT, etc. or just doing a straight comparison from the US price?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

what is the point of 802.11n when most people don't have broadband that fast?

It would mean that you wouldn?t have your network drop down to the lowest common speed when it connects to the network. You could also use the 5Ghz network if it had 802.11a/n. Apple?s current solution is the Airport base stations with dual radios so that your PCs can be on 802.11n and your other devices on 802.11g (or 802.11b).