Apple rivals DVD with new iTunes Extras for movies and albums

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

My understanding of it is that you can only "share" amongst computers in your home who use the same iTunes account. So if your spouse and kids have their own, you still can't share amongst eachother.

Ok, lets say that Bob, Sue, Mat, and Dan all live in the same house and all have iTunes accounts based on their names and all have their own computers and ithings. Sue being the mom purchases the bulk of content and has authorized Bob, Mat and Dan's computers. She purchase one copy of Iron Man. That one copy can be played on all 4 of the computers and all of their ithings.

You see a single computer can be authorized to play anyone's content.

Now lets say that Sue had a friend Betty who was having a party and wanted to watch Iron Man on here big screen TV (attached to an AppleTV). Sue can send the file, burn the file whatever and when at Betty's house can authorize her system to play it. Presto, Betty can play the movie on her computer and any iDevices she connects to her computer as long as Sue leaves her computer authorized.

I hope this helps. The beauty if iTunes Movies is when I purchase 1 copy, I can watch it, my dad can watch it, my brother can watch it and my friend can watch it all without trying to swap around a single disk that Will eventually get lost or destroyed.

Digital has HUGE benefits over physical media.
  • Reply 102 of 110
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by puggsly View Post

You seem to be confused, or missing some words out of the little speech.

Blu-ray and DVD are digital
  • Reply 103 of 110
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

Ok, lets say that Bob, Sue, Mat, and Dan all live in the same house and all have iTunes accounts based on their names and all have their own computers and ithings. Sue being the mom purchases the bulk of content and has authorized Bob, Mat and Dan's computers. She purchase one copy of Iron Man. That one copy can be played on all 4 of the computers and all of their ithings.

Now lets say that Sue had a friend Betty who was having a party and wanted to watch Iron Man on here big screen TV (attached to an AppleTV). Sue can send the file, burn the file whatever and when at Betty's house can authorize her system to play it. Presto, Betty can play the movie on her computer and any iDevices she connects to her computer as long as Sue leaves her computer authorized.

I hope this helps. The beauty if iTunes Movies is when I purchase 1 copy, I can watch it, my dad can watch it, my brother can watch it and my friend can watch it all without trying to swap around a single disk that Will eventually get lost or destroyed.

I don't know if the benefits are so one sided.

What happens when the system hard drive dies? You know that most people don't back up, right? And that Apple generally doesn't permit people to redownload their purchases? You lose one disc, you lose one movie. Or you lose your hard drive, you lose almost all your movies. People should be backing up, but I'm pretty sure most people aren't, and there isn't any excuse, but it happens. To me, getting people to put more eggs in one basket without making sure they have a working backup system doesn't seem like a good idea.

For me, losing or damaging media isn't inevitable or that common. Messing around with authorizations is pretty irritating. If you forget to deauthorize something, you deauthorize everything and then reauthorize everything. With a disc, it just plays. I don't know if iTunes easily allows just playing from any source device (say, direct from a borrowed USB stick) without messing with preferences and then changing it back if you want iTunes to manage the library, it usually tries to transfer the file, and you need to wait for it to complete the transfer before playing.
  • Reply 104 of 110
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:

In our house, if 4 people wanted to watch a movie we would all watch it on our HDTV, not each separately on their own computers. The beauty of a disc is that it is there, no need to mess with file transfers connecting/disconnecting hard drives. And the best benefit of a disc is picture quality, 48 Mbps Blu-ray, 5 Mbps iTunes, no contest.
  • Reply 105 of 110
    With HD movies (and movies in general) I think we're going to need a file format more advanced than MPEG-4. It has to be better quality and take up less hard drive space.
  • Reply 106 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

OK, it's great an convenient that you can share everything and download everything on up to 5 computers, but what if you're not married with kids? What if you break up with someone? How in the heck are you going to split up your iTunes collection between you two? If you're not an IT person then you probably will not. and you'll loose a ton of stuff.

Just de-authorise their computer (you can do that within account settings). You'll only loose what they have bought themselves
  • Reply 107 of 110
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

BTW it is not illegal to RIP movies. the law state that it is Illegal to make the software to RIP a movie

No it is not illegal to make software that RIPs DVDs.

Quote:

and to distribute the movies once they are transcoded,

Correct.

Quote:

but it is not illegal to own the software

Correct.

Quote:

or RIP the movies for your personal use

Thisi s wrong.

In order to do RIP a movie, one must break the CSS encryption used on DVDs and breaking that encryption is illegal under the DMCA.
  • Reply 108 of 110
    it is illegal to rip most DVDs

Quote:

In the case where media are protected using some effective copy protection scheme, the Digital Millennium Copyright Act makes it illegal to circumvent that copy protection scheme. This law makes it illegal to rip most commercial DVDs as they are typically protected by CSS encryption.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ripping
  • Reply 109 of 110
    Does anyone really care about format? In the end all anyone wants is to be able to play watch content they purchase when they want.

I don't want a 300 plus DVD or Blue Ray disk collection

I don't want a multi Terabyte drive with all my movies either.

I don't want to pay for 500 channels so i can watch the 5 or 6 programs I like

I like the idea of netflix streaming except for the quality.

I want to watch what I want when i want.

I don't know what the future will be but I doubt it will be an attic full of DVD's or DRM material you can only play on one set.
  • Reply 110 of 110
    I have owned a Sony NW-HD5 for the past year, and have been spoiled by the sound quality it produces. However, I couldn't pass up picking up this new Ipod (as I've been an avid dissenter of "IPod Culture" for the better part of 3 years) because of the many features taht were added, battery life in particular. The ability to play movies, games, and such are very nice as well, and the 80 gig hard drive and 349 price make it a steal.

With the good comes the bad as well. The sound quality from the Ipod does not compare to the Sony, in terms of overall clarity. The bass often time blends into the music failing to define itself as the beat. I've listened to the same songs on both the Sony and the Ipod through the new Bose Quiet Comfort 3 headphones and there really is no comparison in terms of sound quality. However, the Ipod is just infinitely more convenient, which is why I like it. The ability to make playlists on the go, Itunes over sonicstage, and the many many available accessories for the product give it an edge over all other mp3 players on the market.

Please do yourself a favor if you buy this Ipod or any Ipod, go out and buy some real headphones. As much as Apple has done a tremedous job marketing their product the quality of their headphones is absolutely atrocious. For a 350 piece of equipment do yourself, and everyone around you (since they can probably hear your music leaking through the stock headphones) a favor and buy sony's $30 sound isolating ear buds, the clarity you will get out of the hi's and lo's of your ipod will increase tenfold.