With iTunes 9, Apple again disables Palm Pre sync

Comments

• Reply 61 of 94
    http://www.doubletwist.com/

Are there any Palm Pre owners among the Appleinsider members? I would be curious to know how well this software works.
  • Reply 62 of 94
    Microsoft should break iTunes with every version/patch they send out. iTunes would be nothing with out windows.
  • Reply 63 of 94
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheSnarkmeister View Post

It looks like Apple is just itching for a fight, which is stupid, since they are clearly on the wrong side of the law.

Oh really? Palm is the one itching for a fight because it gives the Pre more press coverage. I would say the most blatant wrong being committed here is the Pre claiming to be an iPod.
  • Reply 64 of 94
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by phalanx View Post

Microsoft should break iTunes with every version/patch they send out. iTunes would be nothing with out windows.

The two concepts aren't the same in the least.
  • Reply 65 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

My point is really this: By allowing iTunes to be opened to Palm/RIM/MS/etc... means that people with these devices could BUY from the iTunes store (which is the main reason the software is free in the first place). They may not be Apple products, but Apple would be getting revenue, even taking it away from Rhapsody (ugh how I loathe them). On top of that, they would draw in customers to their eco-chain instead of pushing them away like they are now.

That's where you're wrong... Apple is not worried about making money from iTunes. In the past it's been more of a break even business for them. Now it's a bigger business, but that's due mostly to the tie in with their hardware. Sure it's nice when they do make money, but the main reason behind it is to sell hardware that works with it. ie Macs, iPods and iPhones. Just look at the App Store. It's been a huge success and money maker for them, but it only works if you have an iPod or iPhone.

Although the idea of opening iTunes up to all 3rd parties sounds great, it's a bad idea business wise and won't happen. What Palm is doing is pathetic in my eyes. They're relying on their main competitor to offer a service they're too lazy to do themselves. Develop your own software like RIM did to work with iTunes or make a competing service. The open API argument doesn't fly here cause Apple isn't like Facebook or Twitter... they're a hardware company, selling hardware at a premium price because of the simple integration between the hardware and software. Opening iTunes up would just become a huge headache and tarnish the user experience.
  • Reply 66 of 94
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appleinsider View Post

the tug of war between apple and palm continues, as the latest update to itunes has once again blocked the palm pre from syncing with a users' itunes library.

When the palm pre was first released, it, by default, would transfer media from itunes by incorrectly identifying itself as an ipod. Apple struck back in july with itunes 8.2.1, which broke sync capabilities, but only temporarily.

A week later, palm fired back with webos 1.1, a software update that again enabled the pre to access media from itunes. In a jab at apple, palm announced the fix at the end of a blog post by stating "oh, and one more thing," just as the ipod maker often does when it introduces new products at a keynote.

According to precentral.net, when sync initially worked, the pre identified itself as a "mass storage device" called an ipod. Then, to get it working the second time, palm had the device identify itself as a "mass storage device manufactured by apple" called an ipod.

Given the back-and-forth nature of the ongoing dispute, it's likely safe to assume that palm will once again issue a webos update and circumvent apple's latest blocking method. The latest update, webos 1.2, was expected to be released this week, but has been quietly delayed.

In other palm news, the handset maker this week unveiled the pixi, the second smartphone built on the webos platform. It is coming to sprint later this year.

The timing of palm's announcement has once again seen the company overshadowed by apple, with the ipod maker announced new media players this week. Earlier this summer, the pre launched just as apple announced the iphone 3gs.

what proof can a i offer to back these claims that apple block the pre ??
  • Reply 67 of 94
    Quote:

It looks like Apple is just itching for a fight, which is stupid, since they are clearly on the wrong side of the law.

Just to clarify, are you a lawyer? Specifically, are you an anti-trust or intellectual property attorney? I'm just curious what information you are drawing upon to so confidently assert that Apple is on the wrong side of the law. While you are at it, can you comment on Palm's identification of their device as A) manufactured by Apple, and B) being an iPod. Last time I checked, those are both trademarked names that can't be used without permission. Perhaps I am just in the dark, here.

Quote:

against a frail old billionaire who just stole a liver from some poor Tennessee kid so he could move back to California to squeeze a few more pennies out of fanatical Apple fans who naively still think he's the brilliant young idealist who set out to change the world four decades ago.

That's just cold and nasty. First, characterizing SJ's liver transplant as 'theft' is just bonkers crazy. You act like he rear ended the guy on the highway himself, so he could quick grab that liver. Is that the sort of trash you are arguing, or were you just trying to show the rest of us how ignorant you are of how the transplant process works?

Quote:

What a difference a few decades and billion dollars makes in a man's principles. People are starting to notice.

Do you happen to know the man, or are you once again speaking out of your rear end? Unless you personally know SJ, then we'll have to classify your rant as mean spirited trolling.
  • Reply 68 of 94
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Phil S. stated this publicly at a White House press conference yesterday. Did you not catch this??
  • Reply 69 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

System software like iTunes which is used for mobile device sync should work with any third party hardware. Otherwise it's enforcing product tie-in, and is a horribly Microsoftian type tactic.

I'm not saying that Apple's own products can't have more advanced features (e.g., apps from the app store), but that there should be a bare minimum support for media and PIM sync via a standard protocol that third party device could implement.

Itunes is not a software program it is the largest music/podcast/movie /app etc etc store in the world .with hundreds upon hundreds of written agreements with third and fourth and fifth parties in over 65 languages . these thousand of small companies have followed all the apple rules as apple follows there rules >>in some cases apple took yrs to enter a market . Why or should palm cut the line and walk in ?? For free?? even the commies forced apple to sign agreements

Why is apple held accountable to palm ?? This is a common situation and most times parties sit down and work it out

its called business

Like intel ands nvida chip makers who compete yet have agreements on three or four chip designs .

Really dude what does apple owe palm ??

Why should apple hurt its shareholders by giving away its buisness rights . Apple will soon have invested hundreds of millions to over a billion $USA dollars in the whole itunes empire , PALM HAS invested zero dollars ina music store.

ALSO palm has gone out of its way to block apple anything in the past .

really dude you have a warped idea of how thing;s work themselve's out in this world

really dude
  • Reply 70 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Phil S. stated this publicly at a White House press conference yesterday. Did you not catch this??

OH BOY http://www.comicbookbin.com/comicsnews101.html

THE COMIC BOOK SITE SAYS SO

and that is real proof that apple updates its itunes and somehow palm pre gets blocked

well i will say to all those bloggers across the whole net and including the idiots here that APPLE updates all its SW ALL THE TIME . What should apple do ??

And if you sell a quarter million smartphones with 2 yr deals and link it to a place that does not accept you or even care if you die in a horrible train wreck you should expect to lose the LINK every time the owner of the music store updates .

and if this same company invented smartphones way back when and has sold tens of millions of phones you think it would not risk its clients ire over a real stupid move like linking to a closed system without calling apple to iron things out .

so we have apple and its a great company

and we have palm also good but did a stupid move

and we have all the idiots backing the palm
  • Reply 71 of 94
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    BS. iTunes is NOT system software. It is an application that Apple gives away free to create value for the hardware that it sells. It is what in part makes the iPods, iPhones, and Macs Apple products. Apple gives away it's developer tools for free, and in no way is preventing Palm from developing an application to sync music on the Mac.

However, not only does Palm want to take hardware sales from Apple, but it also wants to use Apple's product to do so. Apple shouldn't be required to allow Palm to do so. iTunes is attractive to Palm because it works on both Macs and Windows. Besides interfering with Apple's chosen business model, Palm using iTunes has another problem.

Palm users on Windows are unlikely to be compensating Apple in any way for the use of iTunes. They aren't using a Mac, and they probably are using the Palm device to replace an iPod or iPhone.

Quote:

System software like iTunes which is used for mobile device sync should work with any third party hardware. Otherwise it's enforcing product tie-in, and is a horribly Microsoftian type tactic.

I'm not saying that Apple's own products can't have more advanced features (e.g., apps from the app store), but that there should be a bare minimum support for media and PIM sync via a standard protocol that third party device could implement.

• Reply 72 of 94
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    LOL. Except for the fact that Al Gore sits on Apple's Board, and Clintons have stayed at Jobs house when their daughter was going to college in California. I doubt Obama will spend a lot of time looking at Apple.

As for the stealing the liver part, you should be careful. That is called libel. It is a tort, and Jobs could sue you. Yes, I am a lawyer. The Tennessee hospital in question has publicly stated he legitimately was the next person in line because Tennessee has a low waiting list.

Quote:

It looks like Apple is just itching for a fight, which is stupid, since they are clearly on the wrong side of the law. That aside, they should consider the practical public relations issue of a youthful vibrant Obama Justice Department out to save the world from the raging corporate monopolies that have brought our economy to the brink of disaster being pitted in the press against a frail old billionaire who just stole a liver from some poor Tennessee kid so he could move back to California to squeeze a few more pennies out of fanatical Apple fans who naively still think he's the brilliant young idealist who set out to change the world four decades ago. What a difference a few decades and billion dollars makes in a man's principles. People are starting to notice.

• Reply 73 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

BS. iTunes is NOT system software. It is an application that Apple gives away free to create value for the hardware that it sells. It is what in part makes the iPods, iPhones, and Macs Apple products. Apple gives away it's developer tools for free, and in no way is preventing Palm from developing an application to sync music on the Mac.

However, not only does Palm want to take hardware sales from Apple, but it also wants to use Apple's product to do so. Apple shouldn't be required to allow Palm to do so. iTunes is attractive to Palm because it works on both Macs and Windows. Besides interfering with Apple's chosen business model, Palm using iTunes has another problem.

Palm users on Windows are unlikely to be compensating Apple in any way for the use of iTunes. They aren't using a Mac, and they probably are using the Palm device to replace an iPod or iPhone.

+1

agreed

i wish i said as well as you have

• Reply 74 of 94
    It is sad to read the posts from all these pre-sentimentalists. It's got nothing to do with restaurants, cars or windows for that matter.

What Palm is doing is exactly the same as... What's the companies name again? Oh yeah, Phystar. ...is doing. Pretending to be a particular hardware in order to use all the development efforts done by Apple. Apple even provides tools to third-party folks to create their own software. Yet Palm refuses to do so and puts itself in the mercy of their competitors.

As a customer of Palm, having bought the pre, I would be upset that they didn't take the time to create their own application and that they are putting their customers in such a position. I wouldn't even buy hardware from a company that puts itself at the mercy of one of their competitors. If that's how they do business they might do the same to you. Think about it.
  • Reply 75 of 94
    Quote:

System software like iTunes

itunes is an application, not system software

Quote:

which is used for mobile device sync should work with any third party hardware. Otherwise it's enforcing product tie-in, and is a horribly Microsoftian type tactic.

Itunes uses XML to hold the library info, making it very easy for anyone to write an interface for their devices automatically recognizes what music you have and where on your drive it is located.

certainly not a totally closed system is it. compared to say iweb or iphoto

Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnmcboston View Post

Is it leeching, or just using what just popular?

it is leeching when you either don't ask for permission or having been told no you do it anyway. and continue to do it when you are told no via someone blocking you from continuing

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SGSStateStudent View Post

I don't understand why Apple dosen't sue them for that. It's blatantly going against rights!

because it is not illegal. it's more a case of being rude.

there is a USB forum that dishes out the id codes but they have no weight of law. the best they can do is to refuse to give someone device codes or a vendor code. but that's it.

Quote:

Oh right, so it wasn't shipped with Snow Leopard then?

yeah well they also included Flash which is from Adobe.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

if microsoft would have killed itunes from the get go with this tactic that apple is using on palm (why should apple get a free ride on MS marketshare?) then you would see a lot more zunes in use.

funny you mention Microsoft and Zune. cause you know they refuse to create a Mac version of that software and you can't sync an ipod with the Zune software.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

I've brought a Ford into a Toyota shop before, and they fixed up my fiance's car without any issue or complaints.

because they wanted to. if they had said no there is nothing to force them

Quote:

On a flight that was cancelled back when TWA was around, I had to fly on United who were nice enough to all those TWA people (yes, on TWA's dollar I believe).

you have no idea what kind of handshake deals they might have going to help each other out in an emergency

Quote:

I've seen folks bring in McDonalds into other restaurants (mainly for their children) and usually the restaurant was fine with it as long as they bought stuff there.

the key being that something was bought from the other restaurant. if you just walked in with your McDs and sat down without ordering something from them you wouldn't be so welcome.

Quote:

My point is really this: By allowing iTunes to be opened to Palm/RIM/MS/etc... means that people with these devices could BUY from the iTunes store

uh, they can buy now. nothing is stopping anyone from buying from the itunes store so long as you have an internet connected computer and the money. you don't need an ipod or anything else.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Not necessarily. Supposing that each iPod/iPhone has a serial number and/or other unique ID and/or characteristic that can be queried (and the iPhones, and I believe at least newer, if not all, iPods, do) they could require that the iPod/iPhone be validated through the iTunes store (like iPhone activation) before it will sync, at least the first time. This would require Palm to copy specific information from Apple manufactured devices and essentially forge them on their devices.

which is what they did, using the vendor code. now they will have to probably go in and pick a device code as well. which just makes them even more guilty of being douches.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

find the exact code that analyzes the device, identifies if as coming from Palm and tells itunes to ignore the device.
  • Reply 76 of 94
    iTunes is Apple's software, meant to work with Apple's devices or possibly those and only those approved by Apple. Apple makes no bones about this. It's pretty clear and is perfectly legal. Even by the EU's standards.

You know for how long this has been a problem? Since never.

It's an artificial issue that seems to exist only on tech fansites on the ass-end of the net, perpetuated by people who want to have whatever they want, when they want it, and are prepared to justify it with ridiculous arguments.

The whole Pre-not-syncing-with-iTunes situation is a non-issue. It doesn't matter. Direct all bellyaching toward Palm and the rest of the industry for not being able to offer any better alternatives if the issue really does mean that much to you.
  • Reply 77 of 94
    Quote:

Unfortunately Apple is more Microsoftian nowadays than Microsoft is.

You can put MS Windows on any brand PC. You can't put OSX on anything but Apple.

There is MS Office for OSX. There is no iWork for Windows.

Windows Media Player, I believe, is also opened to any media player willing to follow specs. iTunes is trying to prevent player that actually follows its specs.
  • Reply 78 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by parky View Post

And who exactly pays Apple for the work to design, build and test that iTunes works with the hundreds of devices that exist? How quick would complain when iTunes got bigger and bigger and more bloated due the support required for non Apple devices.

Beside Apple players, I believe most others are standardised and will act like mass storage device or something... so supporting all of them with a single module should not be a problem.

But Apple does not want us to use their hardware without their software, and doesn't want other hardware to use their software, unless they see big money in there. I was told Blackberries will sync with iTunes - if that is true, then it is obvious Apple wants money from numerous BB users, but at the same time as they know number of Pre users is still limited and would not generate significant income, they are trying to assassinate Palm Pre platform while still in its infancy in every possible way.

A bit of nasty, a bit of greedy, and all together ugly.
  • Reply 79 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

To get away from Windows entirely. Which is why a lot of people switch.

But a lot of people can't afford to get away from Windows for various reasons, and in not being able to run Windows on Mac they would be forced to stay with Windows, or have separate Mac and Windows computers.

I believe that would reduce current number of Mac users... \
  • Reply 80 of 94
    palm needs to piss off!!!

what is it with companies recently??? what makes companies think they have the right to use another companies intellectual property?? there are some many Idiots out there trying to leech off apple they should just go to hell like that stupid psystar company that just needs to have a nuke dropped on them

HOW ABOUT THEY ALL MAKE AND DEVELOP THEIR OWN SHIT AND STOP BEING STINGY BASTARDS

JUST BECAUSE YOU WANT IT AND ARE JEALOUS OF ANOTHER COMPANY AND ITS ACHIEVEMENTS

DOESNT MEAN YOU CAN HAVE SOME OF IT!!!