iPhone predicted to drive Apple stock to $235

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 51
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

I chuckle when I read the levels at which you wish you purchased AAPL, not in fun but amazement.

I picked up 4000 split adjusted shares @ about $4.45 a share in the early part of 1997.

My dad once told me to only invest in companies that I believe in. My first need for a computer was for use in my printing business. I bought a IIci in 1990.... it was amazing....and I still have it. It was from that point on that I believed in this company and, since then, have realized a tremendous ROI.

If I would've dumped $50,000 in AAPL in '97, I'd be sitting on a cool couple million right now. Talk about one wishing one had extra cash........

btw...the IIci probably still boots. It's been a few years since I tried but, I believe in this company so I'll bet you it still does.

I also invested in Apple in the '90's. Did pretty well too. But then we all did well with just about anything. My broker and I pretty much took a dart and threw it any IPO that smelled of technology. Worked with old line manufacturers like International Rectifier too. Of course by 1999, things started dropping, and we had to jump ship before it got bad. When I got back into Apple in mid 2004, it became about 20% of my new portfolio, but now it's about 50%
  • Reply 42 of 51
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Luckily, the largest AAPL purchase I've ever made (during this downturn) was at $85. Same here though... a good buy can never be big enough, and a bad buy can never be small enough.

wait until apple market the nano phone .

$450 a share easy .
  • Reply 43 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

My dad once told me to only invest in companies that I believe in.

The corollary advice is to invest in companies who's business you understand. I bought AAPL in '97 because of this (Mac user since '84), and also because the downside risk at the time seemed minimal. Still, it was a gamble, and nobody could honestly say they foresaw what was coming. Not to mention the several frightening, sickening drops over the last 12 years which certainly cause a person to question having so much money wrapped up in one investment. Now that's contrary to all good investment advice.
  • Reply 44 of 51
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Luckily, the largest AAPL purchase I've ever made (during this downturn) was at $85.

Stock went up nearly 4% today.

Great move - I hope it counters any ill-timed purchases if any, and that it was made in an IRA account!

I was too stupid to know if AAPL was a good buy then, even considering how much time I spend on AI.
  • Reply 45 of 51
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    damnit I got out at $170...I was hoping to start buying and selling to actually make money instead of just buying and holding. (emptying the truck and then filling it up again) I hope AAPL goes down for a bit, so I can buy it again! And then probably just hold tight. Apple is a roller coaster, certainly... But does everyone think it'll go down below $160 sometime again in the next few months?

It's like C. I got in at 3.86 and sold at 4.50....then it hit 5 bucks! Now I'm cheering it as well to go go down down, so I can buy it up again. Once AAPL and C dip again I'm buying and holding for a looong time.
  • Reply 46 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

damnit I got out at $170...I was hoping to start buying and selling to actually make money instead of just buying and holding. (emptying the truck and then filling it up again) I hope AAPL goes down for a bit, so I can buy it again! And then probably just hold tight. Apple is a roller coaster, certainly... But does everyone think it'll go down below $160 sometime again in the next few months?

It's like C. I got in at 3.86 and sold at 4.50....then it hit 5 bucks! Now I'm cheering it as well to go go down down, so I can buy it up again. Once AAPL and C dip again I'm buying and holding for a looong time.

I certainly hope it doesn't go below $170 again.

But all stocks fluctuate. Remember that the markets are irrational. Stupid news brings stocks up and down.

Now that new iMacs and MacBooks are predicted for a few weeks from now, the stock has gone up again. What if they don't appear? And we'll have to see how well they did this quarter. That's near the end of October.
  • Reply 47 of 51
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

STOP IT

buy apple and hold

it will have a big jump soon as the GAAP is phased out

buy and hold

remember this always for aapl

peace 9
  • Reply 48 of 51
    Trying to time the market is a sucker's game. Unless you spend your day hunched over your keyboard with your fingers ready to push buy and sell, you're begging to get burned. Even if.
  • Reply 49 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Trying to time the market is a sucker's game. Unless you spend your day hunched over your keyboard with your fingers ready to push buy and sell, you're begging to get burned. Even if.

We were doing that in the '90's, though not with the computer.

I remember many times when at my desk, where Henry, my broker, would call me about something that we wanted to buy or sell, and hang on the numbers as they were rising or falling. Sometimes, I had to shoo employees away while we were waiting out a tense price move. My people used to say that "He's caught up with his pennies again."

But it made a difference when you were trading thousands of shares, and they were quickly moving. Those pennies added up.

I've been much more lay back since the early 2000's when I got back in.
  • Reply 50 of 51
    Most people are not prepared for the commitment it requires to be a trader (as distinguished from being an investor). Not to mention, the plain dumb luck it takes to beat, say, investing and holding an index fund. Most of the pros can't even do that. An amateur is going to be road kill, unless they get very lucky.

FWIW, given the big run-up in the markets recently, we're probably due for a correction, 10-15% being the usual target range, and October being the most favorable month for this, historically speaking. Another window of selling could be the last week of the year as the institutions readjust their portfolios. But do you want to bet on it? Not me.
  • Reply 51 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Most people are not prepared for the commitment it requires to be a trader (as distinguished from being an investor). Not to mention, the plain dumb luck it takes to beat, say, investing and holding an index fund. Most of the pros can't even do that. An amateur is going to be road kill, unless they get very lucky.

FWIW, given the big run-up in the markets recently, we're probably due for a correction, 10-15% being the usual target range, and October being the most favorable month for this, historically speaking. Another window of selling could be the last week of the year as the institutions readjust their portfolios. But do you want to bet on it? Not me.

I'll tell ya, I no longer care about those corrections. Once upon a time, I would calculate all my costs and buy or sell when a profit showed up. But not any longer. I only have what I think is going up a good amount over the medium term, meaning, long enough to cover Capital Gains. If something rises much more than that in a shorter time, and I feel it's shot its load, I might sell earlier. But tax differences make my decisions a lot of the time.