Apple, Microsoft trade places selling iPod touch and Zune HD

Comments

• Reply 61 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

I love the constant bashing the the ifans give off here.

Face it, the Zune has better hardware than the ipod touch, even with its new 3GS innards.

As a "gaming platform" its pathetic at best, and thats being incredibly modest. There are no high caliber developers actually DEVELOPING for the platform. When i see games like Crisis Core, Metal Gear Solid, Kingdom Hearts, and Dragon Quest on the platform then it'll get a nod as being a good gaming platform. As it stands, its no different than all the other phones that run java games, just cause they can doesnt mean their good, and doesnt mean their a gaming device. Sorry thats the truth no matter how you slice it.

Sadly, the iphone/touch platform will never ascend into true gaming goodness. IT JUST ISNT POSSIBLE. 1 input method -touchscreen- (no matter how you slice it) can not make up for buttons. Even if you have the on screen buttons...you get a direction pad/4 buttons? Congrats you just hit gameboy era. No bumper buttons or anything means the games cannot go into extreme depth. Maybe you could get a RPG, but any fighting game or something that commands many button presses is out the window instantly.

Lets face the facts, these minigames they offer are there to kill time. They arent engrossing and they dont compete with other platforms (with that said, the Zune HD wont either as a gaming device, even with its beefier hardware).

I used to own a 2g touch and the real draw for me was the fact i could surf the net and get emails practically anywhere, since school and home and work all had wifi. I eventually got tired of being tethered and ended up getting a Blackberry. The browsing on the touch is awesome, but emails were supbar and the games were hilariously terrible. I grew tired of holding onto two devices, one just to surf the internet essentially. Still i wont deny that if i didnt want a "huge phone bill" id be going for a Zune or Touch again.

Fair point. But what you have to remember is it's not Apple that refer to the iPhone or Touch as a gaming platform. That title's been given by press and users alike. Steve Jobs has now come out and acknowledged this.

So....i'd bet my next 50p that Apple will see this as an opportunity to bring something to the market that will get the respect of hard core gamers like yourself. Tablet perhaps??
  • Reply 62 of 83
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

I love the constant bashing the the ifans give off here.

Face it, the Zune has better hardware than the ipod touch, even with its new 3GS innards.

As a "gaming platform" its pathetic at best, and thats being incredibly modest. There are no high caliber developers actually DEVELOPING for the platform. When i see games like Crisis Core, Metal Gear Solid, Kingdom Hearts, and Dragon Quest on the platform then it'll get a nod as being a good gaming platform. As it stands, its no different than all the other phones that run java games, just cause they can doesnt mean their good, and doesnt mean their a gaming device. Sorry thats the truth no matter how you slice it.

Sadly, the iphone/touch platform will never ascend into true gaming goodness. IT JUST ISNT POSSIBLE. 1 input method -touchscreen- (no matter how you slice it) can not make up for buttons. Even if you have the on screen buttons...you get a direction pad/4 buttons? Congrats you just hit gameboy era. No bumper buttons or anything means the games cannot go into extreme depth. Maybe you could get a RPG, but any fighting game or something that commands many button presses is out the window instantly.

Lets face the facts, these minigames they offer are there to kill time. They arent engrossing and they dont compete with other platforms (with that said, the Zune HD wont either as a gaming device, even with its beefier hardware).

I used to own a 2g touch and the real draw for me was the fact i could surf the net and get emails practically anywhere, since school and home and work all had wifi. I eventually got tired of being tethered and ended up getting a Blackberry. The browsing on the touch is awesome, but emails were supbar and the games were hilariously terrible. I grew tired of holding onto two devices, one just to surf the internet essentially. Still i wont deny that if i didnt want a "huge phone bill" id be going for a Zune or Touch again.

You waste all your time making that post, and you just show that you don't knowanything.

I suppose coming here and knocking Prince, who did make some mistakes in his article, and posting something that is totally wrong seems like a good idea to all the Windows fans who are now popping up here for their two seconds of self satisfied glory.

It won't help the likely failure of the Zune to gather too many sales.

Let's see if they can get sales back to their once upon 3.4% marketshare high from its current 1.1% If they can triple sales to that dismal number, they will claim victory.

Let's also see if they can close in to SanDisk, though they've given up on all their other models as hopeless.
  • Reply 63 of 83
    The question is how much money has Microsoft lost trying to follow Apple's lead.
  • Reply 64 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You waste all your time making that post, and you just show that you don't knowanything.

I suppose coming here and knocking Prince, who did make some mistakes in his article, and posting something that is totally wrong seems like a good idea to all the Windows fans who are now popping up here for their two seconds of self satisfied glory.

Let's see if they can get sales back to their once upon 3.4% marketshare high from its current 1.1% If they can triple sales to that dismal number, they will claim victory.

Let's also see if they can close in to SanDisk, though they've given up on all their other models as hopeless.

Really, care to point out any errors in my logic? You think for some reason the touch rivals PSP or DS (ill be even kind enough to go regular GB) that would show just how much YOU dont know anything, other than being a biased fanboy with no objectivity.

Sorry these MS boys keep blasting your stupidity into oblivion, i dont blindly follow any company with loyalty...not sure why you do either but thats cool.

Lets see, i didnt really want to address the flame-bait remark you made about marketshare (you'd know all about that being on the bottom of the PC food chain)
  • Reply 65 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

Fair point. But what you have to remember is it's not Apple that refer to the iPhone or Touch as a gaming platform. That title's been given by press and users alike. Steve Jobs has now come out and acknowledged this.

So....i'd bet my next 50p that Apple will see this as an opportunity to bring something to the market that will get the respect of hard core gamers like yourself. Tablet perhaps??

I'm not sure to be honest. I really dont know of any person who uses an iphone/touch as a serious gaming device. Dont get me wrong i have about 20-30 friends who have an iphone and its loaded up with the same apps...weatherbug, taptap and some random games. Only one of my friends who is a pretty serious gamer like myself had Sonic and FF:Crystal Defenders. Those were two games i was mildly impressed by. Crystal defenders is strategy but incredibly simplistic and repetitive in nature. Even he says it sucks as a true gaming device.

Most of the people who claim it as a "gaming device" dont really game much if at all.

If apple were to make a serious stake at true mobile gaming, and i think its feasible they could, just not with the iphone without physical buttons. they would have a lot of work cut out for them agaisnt the monster powerhouse like Sony and Nintendo...the king of portable games atm.

Also the tablet seems to follow the same premise of the iphone with touchscreen input, it wouldn't be successful either unless there are bluetooth add ons for controllers...but then, if it cost 399 at a subsidy to 700 bucks....id rather just get a PS3 or 360 at that price range (but then it comes down to mobility and content if id drop that kind of money)
  • Reply 66 of 83
    A one post wonder turns into a two post wonder.

The attitude of the avid gaming crowd has always interested me. Not only do they tend to believe that the computer industry revolves around them, at least some also now believe that their preferences should drive the handheld market. No handheld device that isn't built to serve their preferences should be taken seriously, and apparently neither should the people who play games they don't happen to like.

I'd happily ignore this strange attitude if I hadn't encountered it so often. Maybe it comes from having your head in the non-real world so much of the time.
  • Reply 67 of 83
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

A one post wonder turns into a two post wonder.

The attitude of the avid gaming crowd has always interested me. Not only do they tend to believe that the computer industry revolves around them, at least some also now believe that their preferences should drive the handheld market. No handheld device that isn't built to serve their preferences should be taken seriously, and apparently neither should the people who play games they don't happen to like.

I'd happily ignore this strange attitude if I hadn't encountered it so often. Maybe it comes from having your head in the non-real world so much of the time.

Because the avid crowd sets the tone for what most consumers really want. Dolby Digital? Yeah, HD output? Yeah got that too. Look at the 360 and PS3 and how they pretty run break neck trying to one up each other.

The Wii on the other hand took a different approach by not catering to the hardcore/traditional gamer, which does not have ONE method of input.. Consequently it appealed to a lot...yet numbers show most people barely touch their Wii or play it significantly less than those of PS3/360 users.

The App Store has nothing depth wise that can match up with other platforms offerings in solely games. I always figured kool-aid drinkers were all about quality, so where is it in these games based against other offerings?

Oh, how can you try and blast someone for playing games when your on the internet posting about computers and PMPs....yeah guess you roll with the cool crowd in school
  • Reply 68 of 83
    I'm not blasting anyone for playing games. I'm sure I've been gaming a lot longer than you. And I'm certainly not concerned about what crowd I "roll with" -- I'd suggest that maybe you shouldn't be either. Instead, you might want to spend some time considering why people play games. If you did, it might occur to you that it's about entertainment, and also that what people find to be entertaining doesn't have to be the same as what you find to be entertaining for it to be valid.
  • Reply 69 of 83
    Quote:

Really, care to point out any errors in my logic? You think for some reason the touch rivals PSP or DS (ill be even kind enough to go regular GB) that would show just how much YOU dont know anything, other than being a biased fanboy with no objectivity.

Sorry these MS boys keep blasting your stupidity into oblivion, i dont blindly follow any company with loyalty...not sure why you do either but thats cool.

Lets see, i didnt really want to address the flame-bait remark you made about marketshare (you'd know all about that being on the bottom of the PC food chain)

Your first major error is stating so blindly that the Zune has better hardware. Care to show that's true? The Tegra, while pretty good doesn't show anything that's better than what's in the 3GS or new Touch, possibly, it's even a bit worse. Sure, I see some non technical type reviewers gushing over the Tegra, but they don't show much knowledge about it either.

Also those of you who are so into the DS and PSP fail to understand that a successful game machine doesn't need to have the games YOU like, but rather, the game that the other 80% of the population who play games likes. The number of games sold on the Apple platform shows that, yes, in the 18 months or so that OS 2 had enabled programs, games are very popular on the platform. It also takes time to come up with a program after an SDK is available, so bigger games didn't start coming out until some time after. If you look around, you WILL see some pretty good "gamers" games, with plenty more coming, but I expect that you will try very hard to denigrate them as that moves against your opinion on those games.

I don't believe that anyone would say that the platform is, right now, able to challenge the DS for leadership, though challenging the PSP is already happening. But in a couple of years, when the sales can reach 60 million units a year, and higher after that, then yes. After all, even Nintendo has only predicted that its DS sales will at best, equal last years sales with an estimate of 30 million sales.

Another mistake you make is to believe that almost all the games on the DS and PSP are heavy duty games, when they aren't. Most games for the DS in fact are for younger kids. I know, my kid has been using the Nintendo portable players since the first came out, and also has most other gaming platforms. She's now 18, and finds the DS to be less interesting than before, as do her friends.

So who are we talking about here as what you would like to call "gamers"? Is it that fairly small crowd, who like RPG games so much, or FPS games? Or is it the vast majority, as shown by studies who prefer, and play, more casual games.

They are ALL gamers as they play games, and that's all that matters.

As far as the controls on the Apple devices, yes, they sure are different. And for those who are used to more physical controls, they can be disappointing. At first my daughter didn't like them at all. now, she's much more used to them and is beginning to find them to be fine, not perfect. But then, she also admits that for a number of things, they are better. Depends on the game, and how it;s written.

It's like the virtual keyboard. Those who are familiar with the old little bubble keys don't like it, certainly at first. But those who have never used them, do like the virtual keyboards, often a lot. So what you are used to also matters. As more people get used to the virtual controls, they will like them as well, and we may still get add on controls. One is out, and two more may be here for the holiday season.

Also, having your gaming platform be in the same case as your phone, iPod etc is an advantage. Even the DS was forced to add Music playback.

So I think what you've said is wrong. I really don't think you've thought it out. I think that you're being defensive towards your favorite gaming platforms, and also possibly, antagonistic towards Apple's.
  • Reply 70 of 83
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Because the avid crowd sets the tone for what most consumers really want. Dolby Digital? Yeah, HD output? Yeah got that too. Look at the 360 and PS3 and how they pretty run break neck trying to one up each other.

Do what now? "Gamers" taught "consumers" to want Dolby Digital and HD output? You know, because there's this thing called "movies" that......... never mind.

Quote:

The Wii on the other hand took a different approach by not catering to the hardcore/traditional gamer, which does not have ONE method of input.. Consequently it appealed to a lot...yet numbers show most people barely touch their Wii or play it significantly less than those of PS3/360 users.

I would be interested in seeing the "numbers" that show Wii owners "barely touch" their devices. After that, I'd be interested in hearing what that has to do with the topic at hand.

Quote:

The App Store has nothing depth wise that can match up with other platforms offerings in solely games. I always figured kool-aid drinkers were all about quality, so where is it in these games based against other offerings?

What does this even mean, in that lots and lots of people like to play lots and lots of games on the iPhone/Touch? That lots and lots of people are wrong? Foolish? Any discussion of "gaming" that starts with some arbitrary definition of what comprises "real" gaming and proceeds to simply dismiss out of hand whatever number of people seem to be enjoying "fake" gaming is just tautological wanking, IMO. Worse, it's a particular species of smug, clueless, tech nerd wanking that grates on the nerves. You might as well declare that every MP3 player on earth is not, in fact, a "music" device because compressed audio is vastly inferior to high bit-rate CD formats played back on high end home systems and "real" music enthusiasts all agree this is so.

Quote:

Oh, how can you try and blast someone for playing games when your on the internet posting about computers and PMPs....yeah guess you roll with the cool crowd in school

Ah, gamers, with your winning adolescent dickishness.
  • Reply 71 of 83
    Quote:

You really are desperate.
  • Reply 72 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

In my experiences I noticed that if the app is good they will make money. Quality apps/games seem to sell.

Yes, as long as people are exposed to a good app, it will sell. The inclusion of the new "Genius App" tab in the iPhone OS is a huge help. I've been downloading apps I hadn't seen before like crazy. Many of the recommendations are right on.
  • Reply 73 of 83
    Quote:

I think they may be disgruntled daytraders trying to trash talk AAPL into giving up some of the past week's gains... which has gotten insanely hot all of a sudden. Good grief, I almost fell over after I saw today's levels.
  • Reply 74 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Yes, as long as people are exposed to a good app, it will sell. The inclusion of the new "Genius App" tab in the iPhone OS is a huge help. I've been downloading apps I hadn't seen before like crazy. Many of the recommendations are right on.

That's good. but honestly, I was hoping for something even easier, and better.

Books, for example. Apple can afford to hire one or two people to organize the book section. I liked the categories on the left side. It made it easy to get to one.

But once you got there it was a problem.

So what I wanted to see was the bookstore, for example, because that's what it is, arranged like a real bookstore. Use standard categories. The truth is that often we don't know what we might want until we see it.

Does everyone always go into a bookstore just for a particular book, or do other people than myself go in and wander around for up to a hour? If they had "science Fiction" it would be easy for me to find something. If that was arranged alphabetically, like a real bookstore, instead of newest first, that would actually make sense. They could also have a sub category, or more. New today. New this week. New this month. Discounted books etc.

They break music down pretty finely, they could do it with everything else.

The Genius works in a limited way, and not always well. None of these methods do when you want one thing to get.
  • Reply 75 of 83
    Quote:

I think they may be disgruntled daytraders trying to trash talk AAPL into giving up some of the past week's gains... which has gotten insanely hot all of a sudden. Good grief, I almost fell over after I saw today's levels.

It feels like a Mac owner in the '90's. Whenever I was with a few people, and we were talking about computers, and they would ask what everyone had, when it came to me, and I said a Mac, they would deride me and the Mac. You could tell they were trying to get a rise out of me by doing that. That's why some Mac owners respond so viciously to perceived attacks to the platform. They remember those days of being constantly attacked by PC owners. I still have the scars.

Now, at least in phones and players, it's on the other foot, so to speak, and when their platform is attacked, they respond like a few Mac owners have done. tit for tat, I guess, without their realizing it.

I also guess they get tired of reading everywhere, including in the supposedly PC publications, about how much better the Mac OS is, and how good their computers are. How their marketshare is rising etc.

And I have to admit that sometimes Prince's articles aren't as well researched as those in ARsTechnica and Anandtech. They're mostly correct, but he gives them just enough of a wedge that they can attack the whole thing just by association.

I don't think it's day traders per se.
  • Reply 76 of 83
    While OS news is anything BUT a PC oriented site, this is still the kind of article I'm talking about. It must hurt PC people to read this.

http://www.osnews.com/story/22178/Ha...t_With_Mobile_
  • Reply 77 of 83
    Quote:

when it came to me, and I said a Mac, they would deride me and the Mac. You could tell they were trying to get a rise out of me by doing that..

Ah the memories.

Although things have changed. Now i get "Oh you use a Mac, i'd love one of those but i can't afford one".
  • Reply 78 of 83
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Your buddy tim is almost a good writer

almost he gets it

he states it but falls far short of what this vnano will really mean world wide.

the nano is way more of a game changer than the weak examples he gives

when the nano hits 70 million in sales we will have a army of wild crazy nanites >>

shooting quick vid

syncing quick vid

uploading and spreading in minutes world wide almost any fantastic situations we have in the past missed

How many elected official will the vnano bag ??

How many topless shots of movie starlets will we ogle ?

How many crimes or revolutions will we broadcast to us at a near live time space giving the ease of use that APPLE affords us all

on and on >> no one will be safe

no one can hide

if you think that the London camera system is out of sorts

just wait yrs. for the nanite's take over

and we can also inform >> like having flash mobs contests to see how many un filled pot holes are out there or how many cops are snoozing on the job . holes in nyc

timmy is way too timid for the coming nanite nano world

the last poets said the revolution will not be televised >> yes it won't

it will be filmed .

And more, this one from today's NY Times.... ...how many athletes and other celebs will be harrassed....

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/17/sp...html?th&emc=th

PS: bonus points for mentioning "the Last Poets" - I have their original LP....
  • Reply 79 of 83
    Quote:

That's good. but honestly, I was hoping for something even easier, and better.

Books, for example. Apple can afford to hire one or two people to organize the book section. I liked the categories on the left side. It made it easy to get to one.

But once you got there it was a problem.

So what I wanted to see was the bookstore, for example, because that's what it is, arranged like a real bookstore. Use standard categories. The truth is that often we don't know what we might want until we see it.

Does everyone always go into a bookstore just for a particular book, or do other people than myself go in and wander around for up to a hour? If they had "science Fiction" it would be easy for me to find something. If that was arranged alphabetically, like a real bookstore, instead of newest first, that would actually make sense. They could also have a sub category, or more. New today. New this week. New this month. Discounted books etc.

They break music down pretty finely, they could do it with everything else.

The Genius works in a limited way, and not always well. None of these methods do when you want one thing to get.

You may be interested to see this from Google. It's a start in the right direction. Very much like a newsstand.

http://fastflip.googlelabs.com/
  • Reply 80 of 83
    Quote:

You may be interested to see this from Google. It's a start in the right direction. Very much like a newsstand.

http://fastflip.googlelabs.com/

That was interesting. The categories would have to be different of course, but yes, it's a good step. Not very Apple-like though.