Tablet Tuesday: Lenovo, Fujitsu, Archos unveil touchscreens

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

What's more I suspect there is less resistance from us Apple FanBoys to anything Google compared with the anti-M$ sentiment. As others have said many things that make iPhone and Macs so nice come from Google and I simply can't see Apple having the ability to replicate any of it. Hopefully Google and Apple can continue in a healthy competitive way that benefits both companies as well as users. This unlike the M$ history where so much stifling of innovation and trampling on others took place.

That is a bit silly if you ask me.

Such is the history of every civilized, democratic country nowadays - yet we don't hate US, Australia, GB for that.

I am only interested what MS and Apple stand for today, not what they did in far IT history.
  • Reply 62 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

This Archos is exactly the type of device Apple IS competing with, not the Netbook. And this rumored tablet should be priced accordingly. but, from what i've seen, it looks as though Apple will be double the price of the Archos. I think Apple kind of priced themselves out of the competition when the iPhone and the iPod Touch surfaced. The Archos has double the screen size for virtually the same price as the touch? no way is this tablet going to be that price either since the touch is roughly that.

There is strange miss-proportion in Apple's pricing that I can't understand.

For example, iPhone 3GS 32GB (full priced handset only, no plan) here in New Zealand is NZ$1370. You can easily find a Blackberry or two, and some Nokias, having retail price tag of NZ$1600 and more.

iPhone feels and looks better, has more memory, and is actually cheaper.

Same goes for iPod. Last time I was looking for media players, iPods were perfectly price-competitive with Creative Zens and others (Touch being a bit more expensive, but not much).

And Apple is selling loads of them here in NZ.

However Apple computers are much more expensive than competition (performance wise) and - I believe closely related to that - are not overly common in New Zealand. In fact they are very rare beasts here.

How come can Apple be price competitive with portables and not with computers? Wouldn't the same approach of lower prices, much bigger volumes work with their PCs as well?
  • Reply 63 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

A 6" to 9" device, that is actually usable, is what a large number of people are itching for. The current Microsoftian vision of a computing "tablet" is a failure in all but the deepest recesses of certain geeky niches.

As we see with the success of the iPod touch, it's a device that MANY people can use in MANY different ways. Look at all the apps: remote controls, Skype, sketching and painting (with multiple selectable line weights), business-type apps that sync with your Mac, zillions of games, ebook readers, maps, media players, etc., etc., etc..

The size of the current iPod touch/iPhone screen really limits the amount of time you can spend working on it. I would spend MUCH more time working remotely, if my eyes didn't quit trying to focus on some of the miniscule on-screen text. A larger screen would enable Apple to steal the eBook market from Amazon and the Kindle, not that the actually "own" it..

It would have to have a long battery life that can hold a charge and withstand the rigors of gaming. If it can recharge with USB ALONE and not a big, heavy power brick like my MacBook Pro, that would be a big deal. You could toss it in a bag with ONE cable and without the extra 3 or 4 pounds of laptop junk we're all forced to carry.

Isn't that what you already have with netbooks? 8 - 9 hours of battery time (on a selected few), small (phone-like) AC adapters..?
  • Reply 64 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

when you use the word 'apple fanboys' in your first post in a thread, you clearly don't earn any credibility around here. to insult a user with a long history of contributing here doesn't help.

you also don't seem to know where google makes its money: it's from the ads they display on their search results. for example from the default 'google search' in safari. it is a business after all, as you pointed out. it would be foolish for google and apple to get into a pissing contest.

as far as google and apple being in competition - i'd say: not yet. it's the winmo manufacturing crowd that seems to be jumping ship to android the fastest.

no go troll precentral...

I wouldn't agree 100% with everything NonVendorFan said, but Apple and Google being in competition - Absolutely. Problem is if Apple actually realizes it yet. Most of Apples growth is coming from the home market, mainly because with the big enterprise there's the issue that they have loads of custom apps that just only work on Windows or IE6. Google isn't going to get those customers any easier than Apple is.

Competing with OS X and iPhones though is easily doable. They just need the right harware to be produced and they will be stealing market share. Unlike Apple being compared with MS there brand doesn't seem to have much over Google. Both make good products but to the public Googles free, Apples expensive. Not only that, think how quickly Chrome just killed Safari on Windows!
  • Reply 65 of 75
    Answers in bold. Seemed easier to just work with the quoted material itself.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

Competing with OS X and iPhones though is easily doable.

It apparently isn't. Android still hasn't taken off significantly against the iPhone. We're all waiting. Where's the beef? We're living in the day of the iPhone revolution.

For one, Android has very little mindshare, and the iPhone brand itself is a huge stumbling block. Rogers is marketing the hell out of Android up here in Canada, but it doesn't seem to be achieving much. Ask a Rogers middle-manager (of say, GTA-marketing), and they'll give you a simple, one-word reason: iPhone.

They just need the right harware to be produced and they will be stealing market share.

Like what? Apple makes a single device. Unified, easy experience. The very problem is that these mobile operating systems are supposed to run on every handset out there. It's the PC paradigm. That's actually part of the problem, and it's apparently a losing proposition.

Unlike Apple being compared with MS there brand doesn't seem to have much over Google.

It does. Apple caters to the Premium end and rules it. Apple's ecosystem is tight, integrated, and provides an unequalled user experience. Google provides about half of the experience to users. Google offers no OS as of yet, and when they do, it looks like it'll be catered to the low-end of the market, where Apple has no presence anyway and doesn't intend to have any presence. Google makes no hardware. Google has nowhere near the cohesive tech ecosystem Apple does.

Both make good products but to the public Googles free, Apples expensive. Not only that, think how quickly Chrome just killed Safari on Windows!

Seems people are more than willing to step up and pay for entry into the Apple ecosystem, especially in a recession. Hence record quarters, record Mac sales, the iPhone phenomenon (and that's an understatement.) In fact, Apple's astounding success in all areas during this economic downturn simply proves that the "Apple way" has been right all along.

Google competes with Apple directly in a precious few areas as of yet. When they show a little more in the OS realm and manage to make a significant dent in the mobile sector, then we'll see. Right now all we're looking at are some Cloud services, a browser, a mobile OS that isn't really gettting any traction, and a promised OS that looks like a direct competitor to Windows on the low end rather than OS X.

• Reply 66 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

It's been a while since I've used a Wacom tablet, but couldn't what you suggest be accomplished without changing the touchscreen, itself-- intelligent (BlueTooth) stylus and software on the Tablet's touch display.

In Tablet mode:

1) zoom in or out with finger touches or stylus touches to screen buttons (or a combination of finger touches and stylus touch)

2) precision to a magnified pixel level

3) when the tip of the stylus touches the screen with no pressure, a pointer (arrow, crosshairs, loupe, etc) is displayed

3) when pressure is applied to the stylus, drawing begins, then ends when pressure is released

4) pressure level settable between off/on, always on, levels between 0-255, levels between 1-255

5) the always on and 1-255 settings would act as a "hot stylus" where drawing would begin whenever the stylus touched the surface-- similar to a paint brush or India ink pen

6) when in "hot stylus" mode, the software could detect the [larger] position of the hand and fingers to triangulate the location of the tip (above the surface) to display a cursor

7) the pressure level sensitivity on the stylus would be adjustable to suit the user

8) the stylus would be sensitive to angle and orientation as well as pressure, to accommodate painting and calligraphy

9) Eraser modes to reverse the above

10) multiple levels of undo/redo

The only thing that appears to be missing is precise positioning in "hot stylus" mode without actually touching the stylus tip to the screen. I don't know if this is a deal breaker or if a work-around is acceptable:

1) zoom in and "eyeball" the position of the stylus tip relative to the pixels on the display.

2) touch the screen with a finger (Invisible Ink) to allow the stylus to be positioned precisely, then release the finger

I have no idea about the details of all that but if it can work with the regular touch screen then perhaps there is hope yet for just buying a pricey stylus and software as an add-on to accomplish all those wonderful treats on any tablet. That would certainly make my day.
  • Reply 67 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Isn't that what you already have with netbooks? 8 - 9 hours of battery time (on a selected few), small (phone-like) AC adapters..?

Netbook? Cheap parts. Generally poor industrial design. Miniscule keyboard. Running Windows? I have no interest tinkering endlessly on some Hackintosh project.

Yeah, sign me up.

I love my iPod touch, but it would be nice to have a larger version. Something I could carry around and not have to deal with the awkwardness of the laptop form factor (2-piece, hinged, keyboard input). Have you ever tried to walk around using a laptop? No fun. They're designed to be used in some static position.

If someone would release an iPhone/iPod touch CAD app (Vectorworks Lite?) I could use it in the field.
  • Reply 68 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Android still hasn't taken off significantly against the iPhone. We're all waiting. Where's the beef? We're living in the day of the iPhone revolution.

Android, at this point, seems to be the handheld Linux. It's all pipe dreams and promises.

In the consumer market, it's all about the HARDWARE, the OS is secondary.

The iPhone as a device caught on first. THEN the OS got the attention. THEN came the App Store and the software caught on. The iPod, too. How many look-alikes do we see that fail because they don't work the same?

Marketing an "Android Phone" is only compelling for Apple-hating geeks.

Who else really cares. Who even knows what Android is or does? Just like Linux.
  • Reply 69 of 75
    So who posted an article saying windows 7 touch technology was dead on arrival? ...
  • Reply 70 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

Android, at this point, seems to be the handheld Linux. It's all pipe dreams and promises.

In the consumer market, it's all about the HARDWARE, the OS is secondary.

The iPhone as a device caught on first. THEN the OS got the attention. THEN came the App Store and the software caught on. The iPod, too. How many look-alikes do we see that fail because they don't work the same?

Marketing an "Android Phone" is only compelling for Apple-hating geeks.

Who else really cares. Who even knows what Android is or does? Just like Linux.

The android products are six months away. They are not from a single vendor and they don't fit into the same segment either. Android will be a strong competitor to anyone.
  • Reply 71 of 75
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If anyone finds an extensive review of the Archos 5 would you please post the link here?

Detailed description and 143 customer reviews at Amazon Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars.

Warning: The low-rated reviews tend to focus on bad to awful Customer Service experience. The high-rated were from people for whom it worked out of the box and never dealt with Customer Service.

Overall, while not up to Apple's aesthetic and UI standards an apparently interesting device with the system capability of doing many useful things - acting as a DVR, accessing an external hard drive - however and unfortunately, lots of those cool potential functions require additional purchases. Check out this list. You'd need a separate gadget bag to carry - and keep track - of it all. And buying them probably triples the price.......

Add-ons--Enhance Your Archos 5

* DVR Station

Record TV, play video back to your TV, and charge your Archos device via the DVR Station. With the included TV Program Guide, scheduling and recording from your satellite receiver, cable box, Digital TV adapter has never been so easy. You also can surf the Web or stream web video to your TV while comfortably laid back on your couch using the included remote control as a keyboard and mouse pointer.

* DVR Snap-on

Record from most any audio or video analog source on the move with the DVR Snap-on, a small device that's no bigger than a pack of gum.

* Mini Dock

Transfer your files directly from USB keys, digital cameras, or other portable media players with the Mini Dock. Quickly charge your Archos with the included charger/adapter. Play video out to your TV with video output in high quality S-Video or standard quality composite.

* Battery Dock

Benefit from all the great features of the Mini Dock and get extended playback with the built-in backup battery.

* Helmet Cam

Turn your Archos into a hands-free digital camcorder with the Helmet Cam, perfect for sports and family fun.

* FM Remote

A built-in FM receiver and microphone on the FM Remote let you listen to radio anywhere or make voice recordings.

* Protective Cases

Protect your Archos and show your style with a protective case.

* GPS Car Holder

Turn your Archos 5 into a high-end GPS with the GPS In-Car Holder.

* TV Snap-on (Available by end of 2008)

Watch live digital TV right on your Archos, record, and enjoy the time-shifting function.

Sheesh.......
  • Reply 72 of 75
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Current "tablet" offerings are just pathetic.

Apple will shake this segment up completely.

Lenovo, HP, Fujitsu. LOL.

If the following is any indication, you're absolutely right.

Look how the headline touts the thing and as you read more you realize it isn't even a computer with a full OS, more the second coming - in touch screen and compact mode - of the ill-fated "internet appliances" of the late '90's ("The Audrey" comes to mind - check it out!). As for this "revolutionary" device from HP, watch the embedded promo video which seems to aim at the level of those having never touched a "computery thing" before - i.e., as sophisticated a pitch as for those Mom and Pop consumers that Microsoft's "Web TV" was aimed at.

The long-awaited DreamScreen tablet computer comes from HP, not Apple

Hewlett Packard has beaten Apple to the punch in coming up with a beautiful tablet-like*computer. The company’s just-announced DreamScreen products represent a new category of wireless connected screens.

This Venturebeat.com site can't be up to much. And the asterisk after "tablet-like" is for LoLz.

Still, the current state of the competition (whether for hardware, software, service, quality reasons) aside, that doesn't mean there won't be real competition in these spaces. For one thing there are too many potential niches for any one company to fill. And as the continuing success of the Blackberry indicates, more than one well-executed UI metaphor can appeal and meet the needs of different folks makin' different touches and (key)strokes. Finally, this Android phenomenon gets more real every day.

In the MS era, Apple wasn't just competing against another start-up. In essence it was competing with IBM and its nearly complete lock on business computing - which was 95% of computing at the time, and Apple was still two geeks just out of the garage. Another factor was Apple's struggle to transition from the Apple II through the unsuccessful Apple III and hugely expensive Lisa before Steve Jobs' rogue skunk works team finally rolled out a tiny screened b&w Mac - and even then keeping many of its eggs in the Apple II for too long. These things, more than any further genius on Redmond's part - other than in practicing opportunistic ruthlessness - turned the tide in favor of the inferior Wintel products, even as MS was conspiring to soon stab Ceasar (IBM) in the back.

And for any who don't know, yep, the Mac (and therefore Apple) only exists today because the CEO hung out in the basement and competed against his own company board's chosen business plan, relying on those now famous strategic instincts. Apple is the most interesting corporation in any line of business ever (which is why Apple Insider and this forum and so many others like it exist). And has migrated its entire base through major transitions more times than Oprah's changed dress sizes, often in uncharted seas and unpromising times. Amazing story. There's just no equivalent in modern times.

Anyway, that was then. In the emerging mobile computing era, MS most likely will have to settle for crumbs this go round.

However, in Google, Apple's facing another iconic, wealthy competitor with better software (and some of Apple's cachet) than MS had at the same stage of Win v Mac, and who is working with many well-established partners with plenty of hardware smarts. The playing field's somewhat equalized this time by the fact that Apple is hardly a start-up anymore, is in peak form, has a big war chest, and has a well-established history of surviving all challenges. Plus, neither company is a key enterprise player, and finally, corporations haven't truly standardized on OS or hardware specs for any of these new devices.

Should be an interesting tussle. And it's just warming up. Stock up on popcorn.
  • Reply 73 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by talksense101 View Post

The android products are six months away. They are not from a single vendor and they don't fit into the same segment either. Android will be a strong competitor to anyone.

Another six months?

They've been six months away for well over a year now.
  • Reply 74 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

If the following is any indication, you're absolutely right.

Look how the headline touts the thing and as you read more you realize it isn't even a computer with a full OS, more the second coming - in touch screen and compact mode - of the ill-fated "internet appliances" of the late '90's ("The Audrey" comes to mind - check it out!). As for this "revolutionary" device from HP, watch the embedded promo video which seems to aim at the level of those having never touched a "computery thing" before - i.e., as sophisticated a pitch as for those Mom and Pop consumers that Microsoft's "Web TV" was aimed at.

The long-awaited DreamScreen tablet computer comes from HP, not Apple

Hewlett Packard has beaten Apple to the punch in coming up with a beautiful tablet-like*computer. The company?s just-announced DreamScreen products represent a new category of wireless connected screens.

This Venturebeat.com site can't be up to much. And the asterisk after "tablet-like" is for LoLz.

Still, the current state of the competition (whether for hardware, software, service, quality reasons) aside, that doesn't mean there won't be real competition in these spaces. For one thing there are too many potential niches for any one company to fill. And as the continuing success of the Blackberry indicates, more than one well-executed UI metaphor can appeal and meet the needs of different folks makin' different touches and (key)strokes. Finally, this Android phenomenon gets more real every day.

In the MS era, Apple wasn't just competing against another start-up. In essence it was competing with IBM and its nearly complete lock on business computing - which was 95% of computing at the time, and Apple was still two geeks just out of the garage. Another factor was Apple's struggle to transition from the Apple II through the unsuccessful Apple III and hugely expensive Lisa before Steve Jobs' rogue skunk works team finally rolled out a tiny screened b&w Mac - and even then keeping many of its eggs in the Apple II for too long. These things, more than any further genius on Redmond's part - other than in practicing opportunistic ruthlessness - turned the tide in favor of the inferior Wintel products, even as MS was conspiring to soon stab Ceasar (IBM) in the back.

And for any who don't know, yep, the Mac (and therefore Apple) only exists today because the CEO hung out in the basement and competed against his own company board's chosen business plan, relying on those now famous strategic instincts. Apple is the most interesting corporation in any line of business ever (which is why Apple Insider and this forum and so many others like it exist). And has migrated its entire base through major transitions more times than Oprah's changed dress sizes, often in uncharted seas and unpromising times. Amazing story. There's just no equivalent in modern times.

Anyway, that was then. In the emerging mobile computing era, MS most likely will have to settle for crumbs this go round.

However, in Google, Apple's facing another iconic, wealthy competitor with better software (and some of Apple's cachet) than MS had at the same stage of Win v Mac, and who is working with many well-established partners with plenty of hardware smarts. The playing field's somewhat equalized this time by the fact that Apple is hardly a start-up anymore, is in peak form, has a big war chest, and has a well-established history of surviving all challenges. Plus, neither company is a key enterprise player, and finally, corporations haven't truly standardized on OS or hardware specs for any of these new devices.

Should be an interesting tussle. And it's just warming up. Stock up on popcorn.

LOL!!! Lets see, a "computer" with no touchscreen and no OS. Oh and it looks like crap. How is that going to compete with Apple?
  • Reply 75 of 75
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    Apple should make something like the xpPhone, without the phone, and with Mac inside:

http://www.xpphone.com/en/product/configuration.html