Apple inquires with users about iPhone OS 3.1 battery life

Comments

• Reply 41 of 64
    I have no problem with wi-fi and I am connected 24/7...battery last 7-8 hours on average.
  • Reply 42 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joerabbit View Post

Are you talking about a Unibody 15" or a C2D (core 2 duo) ?

Mine's the Core 2 Duo. Latest model 6 weeks old.

Quote:

How much has it improved in mAh? Minutes? Hours?

Never anaylsed it to be honest although i noticed a big improvement since the SL upgrade. At full charge it would sort of hang at 90% then all of a sudden the percentage would drop dramatically. Now whether SL has solved another issue here relating to that battery indicator i don't know but battery drain seems to be more consistent.

My initial reaction to the new MBP battery was based on the two year old 17" Macbook Pro i traded in for it. I was surprised how poor the new Macbook Pro's battery seemed to drain in comparison. For example if the missus was watching wallpaper TV i'd go upstairs and watch a movie or listen to music but NEVER without it plugged into adapter. Now i can confidently do this without worrying about it. The improvement is that obvious.
  • Reply 43 of 64
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    I've noticed that the 3.1 update does drain my battery much faster when the iPhone is in stand by.
  • Reply 44 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Oh but it is. I looking into this for about 3 hours the other night. It's very cut and dried. In 3.0 and 3.1 this is a bug, it's that bloody simple.

Quote:

It's a bug in the OS. It's like buying new tires, you drive down the road and they blow up and someone suggest you check your oil. Fuck the router. As I said the issue is the OS, the OS, the OS, the OS.

Then how do you explain that only thousands are having this problem and not millions? Or every iPhone that has OS 3.x installed? Your understandable anger and frustration is clouding your judgment I think.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Good call. Open-mindedness is an absolute necessity in debugging complex

systems.

+1
  • Reply 45 of 64
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Then how do you explain that only thousands are having this problem and not millions? Or every iPhone that has OS 3.x installed? Your understandable anger and frustration is clouding your judgment I think.

+1

there is a huge thread about this in the apple support forums

after my experience i don't think it's a bug, just that the iphone software updater is very bad unless you restore as a new phone
  • Reply 46 of 64
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ireland View Post

thousands of people have noticed after updating to 3.1 they have no wifi whatsoever, .

name them!!
  • Reply 47 of 64
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

he tire analogy

1) brand x tires

2) brand y rims

3) unknown road

I use the same analogy, but I was assuming the road was perfectly new.
  • Reply 48 of 64
    Quote:

Your understandable anger and frustration is clouding your judgment I think.

Maybe? But I think it's more likely that the issue is the software update, and Apple won't admit it cause they don't want to take blame.

It's like people updating to 10.6.2 and for argument sake let's say 1/3 of people's Macs cannot connect to a network and people saying, check your router. There are too many people having this issue right after the update. It's too much of a coincidence if you ask me. Apple not wanting to take the blame for the update issue is nothing new anyhow.
  • Reply 49 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

name them!!

John, Mark, Michelle, I could go on...

Don't go all fanboy on me now.
  • Reply 50 of 64
    Quote:

Maybe? But I think it's more likely that the issue is the software update, and Apple won't admit it cause they don't want to take blame.

It's like people updating to 10.6.2 and for argument sake let's say 1/3 of people's Macs cannot connect to a network and people saying, check your router. There are too many people having this issue right after the update. It's too much of a coincidence if you ask me. Apple not wanting to take the blame for the update issue is nothing new anyhow.

I don't think anyone here is saying that it is 100% NOT update related. Obviously it is a combination of several factors. These factors have to be discovered and recreated to be able to reproduce the problem. This takes time. Have you ever known Apple to talk about some bug or manufacturing defect without them understanding the problem first? Or are you saying that Apple isn't even acknowledging that some of their users are having a wi-fi problem at all?
  • Reply 51 of 64
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    I saw a pretty drastic crop in battery life after 3.1. About a 30% - 40% drop on some days. All mail set to manual checks and push disabled.

I hope they fix it soon.
  • Reply 52 of 64
    Double post.
  • Reply 53 of 64
    Battery life:

My battery life was terrible as soon as I upgraded to 3.1. Then, I restored the phone again and now it is much better. However, twice this week a "full charge" was 96% when I took it off the dock after charging all night.

Wifi:

Ever since I got the 3GS my wifi has been shit. My brothers 3G and my old 3G iPhones have no wifi issues. Apple store swapped out my 3GS for a new one and still the same crap. It didn't matter if it was 3.0 or 3.1. This past weekend I noticed both routers in the house were on channel 6. I switched my Airport Extreme to channel 1 and no difference. Then, changed to channel 11 and my wifi has never been better! ;-)
  • Reply 54 of 64
    Newsflash: Using a device causes a battery to lose power.

3G, WiFi, Bluetooth, Push Email, Apps, Music, Video...all cause the battery to lose power, and quickly if used ecessively.

I have an original phone and it lasts all day. While I work I turn off WiFi and Bluetooth. No reason to have them on when niether feature is being used. If I had a 3G, I would turn off that feature, and only use it for data use when it is most needed. Push email? I will get my email when I tap the Mail icon. I don't need to see email the instant it arrives in the In Box. Push is one of the biggest power drains, especially if you have it checking every 15 minutes.

Learn now to use your smartphone, smart. Take advantage of battery saving techniques. Since most of you also use a PC at work, most have a front panel USB port. Bring in an extra cable and plug in your iPhone while at work. You don't need any software installed to charge the battery.

My Moto Razr before the iPhone would last all day unless I played games on it, then the battery would drop pretty fast.
  • Reply 55 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

3G, WiFi, Bluetooth, Push Email, Apps, Music, Video...all cause the battery to lose power, and quickly if used ecessively.

I have an original phone and it lasts all day. While I work I turn off WiFi and Bluetooth. No reason to have them on when niether feature is being used. If I had a 3G, I would turn off that feature, and only use it for data use when it is most needed. Push email? I will get my email when I tap the Mail icon. I don't need to see email the instant it arrives in the In Box. Push is one of the biggest power drains, especially if you have it checking every 15 minutes.

Learn now to use your smartphone, smart. Take advantage of battery saving techniques. Since most of you also use a PC at work, most have a front panel USB port. Bring in an extra cable and plug in your iPhone while at work. You don't need any software installed to charge the battery.

My Moto Razr before the iPhone would last all day unless I played games on it, then the battery would drop pretty fast.

Push emails aren't updated every 15min. They are pushed when they arrive. Hence, the term "push". Some emails are fetch. Fetch email accounts can be setup to be checked every 15min.
  • Reply 56 of 64
    Quote:

I don't think anyone here is saying that it is 100% NOT update related. Obviously it is a combination of several factors. These factors have to be discovered and recreated to be able to reproduce the problem. This takes time. Have you ever known Apple to talk about some bug or manufacturing defect without them understanding the problem first? Or are you saying that Apple isn't even acknowledging that some of their users are having a wi-fi problem at all?

Apple have said "no that wouldn't be the issue... it's the phone itself". I.E. They are lying. Pretending it's not the update, when in fact they know it is. So they are giving people new phones, which is all well and good, but they don't want to admit they f-d up with a software update, which they did. I don't want to even here people saying you can't blame them, cause I do.
  • Reply 57 of 64
    Quote:

3G, WiFi, Bluetooth, Push Email, Apps, Music, Video...all cause the battery to lose power, and quickly if used excessively.

What is with fanboys these days? Newsflash: I am convinced you didn't read the article.
  • Reply 58 of 64
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:

Amazing that my habits in all of these areas changed dramatically since I upgraded to 3.1

Actually my habits haven't changed at all. I am very conscious of my power usage on an iPhone. I typically get 3+ days on a charge, but the 3.1 update knocked that down from 3 to 2 days and even down to 1.5 days in some instances. The weird part is that it's not consistent. Same usage patterns from day to day and sometimes battery life is good (3 days), and some times it's bad (1.5 days).
  • Reply 59 of 64
    Quote:

Geesh, please read the article

You sound like one of those "genius" apple store clerks.

Thanks-
  • Reply 60 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Amazing that my habits in all of these areas changed dramatically since I upgraded to 3.1

Actually my habits haven't changed at all. I am very conscious of my power usage on an iPhone. I typically get 3+ days on a charge, but the 3.1 update knocked that down from 3 to 2 days and even down to 1.5 days in some instances. The weird part is that it's not consistent. Same usage patterns from day to day and sometimes battery life is good (3 days), and some times it's bad (1.5 days).

Lucky you! Ever since the original iPhone I have yet to get 2 days use out of it. I wake at 6am each day with 100% battery and when I get home around 7pm I usually have 10% or less battery left. Granted my Bluetooth runs all day which I should turn off because it gets used once a month and I surf facebook and AI all day.