Microsoft hires Apple Store staff; potential employee walk-out

Comments

• Reply 61 of 120
    Microsoft searching for retail employees through headhunting? Wow, that's nothing new. Every industry does that. Even Apple does headhunting to lure people from other companies.

A walk-out? Now that is funny! Like management cares! Show me a company that doesn't have managers that are typically thought of as "abusive." With the unemployment rate high, I am sure there are hundreds if not thousands of people ready to take the place of those bonehead employees complaining about their jobs. I am sure it is only 1 or 2 talking about a walk-out, and the rest are happy to be employed! They should all shut the hell up and be happy to be earning a paycheck during these tough economic times.
  • Reply 62 of 120
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Microsoft searching for retail employees through headhunting? Wow, that's nothing new. Every industry does that. Even Apple does headhunting to lure people from other companies.

A walk-out? Now that is funny! Like management cares! Show me a company that doesn't have managers that are typically thought of as "abusive." With the unemployment rate high, I am sure there are hundreds if not thousands of people ready to take the place of those bonehead employees complaining about their jobs. I am sure it is only 1 or 2 talking about a walk-out, and the rest are happy to be employed! They should all shut the hell up and be happy to be earning a paycheck during these tough economic times.

YEAH!!! You tell 'em! Those stupid workers who are stupid enough to want to feed their families. Screw 'em all! Let 'em eat cake!
  • Reply 63 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paladinkn00be View Post

Some of us actually want a job, too bad it isnt anywhere in my area.

I was invited to an apple hiring seminar, and just over hearing some of the other people there, they were looking for second jobs, or to replace their first job. Greedy people! I dont even have a job and most of them already had one... jerks

Quote:
    Originally Posted by star-fish View Post

Maybe there's a reason you don't have a job with an attitude like that. Not everyone likes their job, in which case it's only natural to look for a new one. Don't blame other people for your own failure. You don't get anywhere in the job market waiting for everyone else to get a job just so it means there's one left for you.

There's more to it than even that. Often, one job doesn't pay enough to support yourself or your family. I was working two retail jobs for a while, because my first one didn't give me enough hours (we're talking one 6-hour shift a week, and several of my peers had similar complaints) and I have to help my family by being its second source of income. Eventually, I quit the first job because there weren't any more hours on the horizon, and it wasn't worth even a fraction of the extra gas money (for shifts on days that my father had off — we have a 1½-hour drive from the jobless small town where we live to the nearest "city"). Now, due to slumping sales, I'm about to start alternating 2- and 3-day work weeks at my new job, because that's all they can give me. Meanwhile, I'm paying our internet bill as well as trying to pay down more credit card debt (my mom's card, which is only ever used for emergency bill payments) than I'll likely ever see the end of.

I doubt those people lining up to work at the Apple Store are doing so out of greed. Especially in this economy.
  • Reply 64 of 120
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shunnabunich View Post

There's more to it than even that. Often, one job doesn't pay enough to support yourself or your family. I was working two retail jobs for a while, because my first one didn't give me enough hours (we're talking one 6-hour shift a week, and several of my peers had similar complaints) and I have to help my family by being its second source of income. Eventually, I quit the first job because there weren't any more hours on the horizon, and it wasn't worth even a fraction of the extra gas money (for shifts on days that my father had off — we have a 1½-hour drive from the jobless small town where we live to the nearest "city"). Now, due to slumping sales, I'm about to start alternating 2- and 3-day work weeks at my new job, because that's all they can give me. Meanwhile, I'm paying our internet bill as well as trying to pay down more credit card debt (my mom's card, which is only ever used for emergency bill payments) than I'll likely ever see the end of.

I doubt those people lining up to work at the Apple Store are doing so out of greed. Especially in this economy.

Keep in mind that those ridiculing the workers at the Apple Stores are John Galt wannabes who think the world would come crashing down without their earth-moving brilliance.

They've been brainwashed to think that the interest of corporations is the same as their own.

Then they take the decent wages, 8-hour days, overtime, vacations, safe working conditions etc etc that were brought to them by union members' cracked heads and think they got it on their own.
  • Reply 65 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

You seem to be implying that support for Windows isn't technically viable

It's viable. It just isn't ever going to be as smooth and slick as it is for a vertically integrated vendor. Without a single point of responsibility, the answers are not going to be palatable to the end user. And trying to take on that responsibility, as quality support shops do today, isn't economically feasible without a bill attached.
  • Reply 66 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Keep in mind that those ridiculing the workers at the Apple Stores are John Galt wannabes who think the world would come crashing down without their earth-moving brilliance.

They've been brainwashed to think that the interest of corporations is the same as their own.

Then they take the decent wages, 8-hour days, overtime, vacations, safe working conditions etc etc that were brought to them by union members' cracked heads and think they got it on their own.

Might have a point there.
  • Reply 67 of 120
    Come on apple fans should be the last ones to complain about copying.
  • Reply 68 of 120
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roc Ingersol View Post

It's viable. It just isn't ever going to be as smooth and slick as it is for a vertically integrated vendor. Without a single point of responsibility, the answers are not going to be palatable to the end user. And trying to take on that responsibility, as quality support shops do today, isn't economically feasible without a bill attached.

The support model really isn't any different. If these MS guys should find that the issue is hardware (say driver for example) related, they will just refer them back to the hardware vendor. Since Apple is a one stop shop, the process is more streamlined (and definitely easier with known hardware configurations), but the basic business model is the same. The difference here being MS would have to refer the user outside of it's support structure for help, while Apple would not.

I don't think these Guru's or whatever they are calling them will struggle that much. They will have MS to back their service questions as far as the OS is concerned and anything else will get booted out to the manufacturer's, just as the OS is supported today (for a small fee I'm sure
  • Reply 69 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

And Ballmer is standing there sweating and eating a churro.

Ugh. I just threw up my breakfast.
  • Reply 70 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by r210 View Post

hmm... xbox 360

wonder how many people will walk in and say, "can you tell me why i got these red rings of death"
  • Reply 71 of 120

• Reply 72 of 120
    rnp1rnp1 Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

Come on apple fans should be the last ones to complain about copying.

Microsoft theft History Lesson:

1. DOS was not written by Gates/Allan-it was written by another desperate Seattle programmer who sold it cheap, with no royalties. It became the de-facto OS for IBM compatibles and Gates's fortune. (Aside from the crooked stock options which turned into Billions) See Bill Parish YouTube

2. Windows was a direct lift of Apples intense work, which was purchased and modified, with full approval, from Park-Doug Engelbart's desktop system using the mouse, which Engelbart invented and patented. Microsoft circumvented paying for Windows and the mouse, by theft.

3. Blatant theft of QuickTime

4. Internet Explorer-the complete, intensional destruction of Netscape

5. Zune

6. Retail stores

7. Apple Retail employees
  • Reply 73 of 120
    Sack the manager...Simples!!
  • Reply 74 of 120
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Must suck to be a smug jerk who resents anyone wanting decent working conditions and fair pay.

We don't know what the grievances are, do we? Is it about wages? Besides, what is their typical pay range?

If whatever is going on is really illegal, isn't there an Attorney General or similar post in the state to investigate that?

Quote:

FWIW, remember that Alan Greenspan worked for years to make sure that the economy ensured high unemployment in order to keep labor in oversupply, wages down (and corporate profits up.)

Wait, what? This is the first I've heard of it, and I've heard of lots of conspiracy theories. Do you have a source for this? A reliable quote from the man himself would help.
  • Reply 75 of 120
    ***Breaking News***

In an amazing dastardly twist, the free market economy resulted in some employees of one company being lured to another on the promise of more money, more interesting work and possibly even a slightly better role. The entire world died of shock.

Stay tuned for more obviousness as the day goes on...
  • Reply 76 of 120
    Now Microsoft is stealing away Apple employees from retail stores. What else is new. They've been stealing from Apple since Bill Gates worked for Apple.

don5404
  • Reply 77 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DKWalsh4 View Post

For a company with such small market share relative to their own, Microsoft seems to be taking them pretty seriously.

Maybe a small share of those computer things. But Apple's market cap is $165B and Microsoft's is $229B. Must be a different problem, then.

And their financial numbers this quarter were down (second time, I think).

So Steve B has a right to be worried. They need to find a life beyond Windows+Office and so far every attempt has been a "fail". He also needs to be thinking about his own job prospects if things keep going the way they are.
  • Reply 78 of 120
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,655member
    You can steal a few employees from another company, but if you try and steal lots of them you can be sued for predatory behavior.

Having said that, if Microsoft is paying more and this in turn requires Apple to pay more to its employees, I think that's great. While I don't know specifically what Apple is paying these days (previous reports indicated anywhere between $10 and $50 per hour), obviously you can't live in most urban areas on $10 an hour, but $50 an hour (presumably to store managers and senior techs) is an extraordinary wage for retail, especially today. But I don't how real that is.

As for the employee complaints, it could be valid, it could be B.S. There's no way to know. It only takes one egocentric micro-manager to drive everyone crazy. But on the other hand, some people don't know what "work" means.
  • Reply 79 of 120
    I think this is a step in the right direction by Microsoft. Given their global presence, it will be popular PR.
  • Reply 80 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

The support model really isn't any different. If these MS guys should find that the issue is hardware (say driver for example) related, they will just refer them back to the hardware vendor. Since Apple is a one stop shop, the process is more streamlined (and definitely easier with known hardware configurations), but the basic business model is the same. The difference here being MS would have to refer the user outside of it's support structure for help, while Apple would not.

I don't think these Guru's or whatever they are calling them will struggle that much. They will have MS to back their service questions as far as the OS is concerned and anything else will get booted out to the manufacturer's, just as the OS is supported today (for a small fee I'm sure

That's exactly the reason why it will be so shitty for the MS end user.