Apple, rapper Eminem could end up in court over iTunes battle

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by parky View Post

They do pay for the production costs themselves, it is taken out of the money they get for the sales of the tracks. If you actually look at what the labels pay for it is not that much!

This is interesting :-

http://www.postaudio.co.uk/education...breakdown.html

average net profit margin in business is around 5%. some industries like food is less and others like tech is 10% or a little higher. even at $4 gasoline Exxon was making only around 10% or 12% net profit. artists getting 5% of the price of a CD is not that big a deal

i was way off on my music video costs. i thought i read somewhere it's in the $10,000,000 per video. turns out it's $1,000,000 on average. that's part of the promotion cost including paying the radio stations to play the new hit single

you still have to be naive to believe that artists should take most of the cost of a piece of music as profits. even Apple doesn't mark up their products that high. record companies are also now taking part of the concert profits for artists because it's so expensive to organize a tour that artists need someone else's money to do it.

when a record company sponsors an artist they are in effect giving them a risk free loan for a risky business venture. it's risk free for the artist, but risky for the record company. and even George Lucas hired Fox to distribute his movies
  • Reply 22 of 41
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DiscoNomad View Post

I hate these whinny musicians. I have my stuff on iTunes and I think that the deal is very fair. Eminem is just an idiot and they should just pull his crap off iTunes. The iTunes system is the best thing since the corner music store and they shouldn't change a thing.

And you are a very smart guy - with your iTunes, and all that. I think they should elect you for president (for them) so they don't have to change a thing.
  • Reply 23 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

good luck Mr Mathers

I didn't know "The Beaver" was suing Apple too?! I thought we were talking about that m&m guy who likes himself plain instead of nuts, Bruno's nuts, that is.

• Reply 24 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

And you are a very smart guy - with your iTunes, and all that. I think they should elect you for president (for them) so they don't have to change a thing.

Judging by that astonishing bit of English literature you just graced the internet with, I'm so glad you are a judge of intelligence.

Also, last I checked I am an artist not a record label and it is fair as it is. Instead of passing judgement on the way Apple conducts business maybe you should learn the facts first.
  • Reply 25 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

i see two issues going on here

1. did Apple have permission to sell the tracks. very likely yes. they would have paperwork between themselves and the controlling company. now if the controlling company didn't have the power to make that deal is a separate issue that Apple can't be held for. not unless you can prove that Apple knew the company didn't have the power and didn't care. but I doubt there is proof of that

2. how much money the artists make. this is not an issue for Apple. this is between artist and holding company.

Yeah, I was thinking exactly the same. He included Apple just to get some attention, just hope it doesn't backfire and have the whole case thrown out for incorrectly including Apple.
  • Reply 26 of 41
    Surprised anybody would stand up for the labels on this one. They really screw over musicians; you have to go platinum to "break even" by the hollywood accounting. The labels don't "pay" the artist anything; they "advance" them money from future profits. Then they make sure that there are no profits for them to net anything.

It sure smells more like "licensing" than "distributing" on the part of the labels, since they do nothing for each sale and all the work is performed by others. It isn't Apple's problem, it is the labels'.
  • Reply 27 of 41
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Surprised anybody would stand up for the labels on this one. They really screw over musicians; you have to go platinum to "break even" by the hollywood accounting. The labels don't "pay" the artist anything; they "advance" them money from future profits. Then they make sure that there are no profits for them to net anything.

It sure smells more like "licensing" than "distributing" on the part of the labels, since they do nothing for each sale and all the work is performed by others. It isn't Apple's problem, it is the labels'.

Agreed. It sounds like Eminem has more of an issue with the contracts he's signed with his label. If they have the power to distribute his work, then he's SOL. Why they keep dragging Apple into it is curious, since Apple is downstream from all of this. If Eminem wants more of the cut, he should re-negotiate his contract with Aftermath Records.
  • Reply 28 of 41
    So he's upset that:
    1. His music is for sale in the the largest music store on the planet without his permission. and...

2. His record company made this deal on his behalf, without consulting him.

Well, 1. Boo hoo Mr. Mathers. 2. That's what record companies do... they sell your music for you!!! What an idiot. How dare your record company you signed an agreement with make you money!!! What is up with that?

Don't like it, negotiate better next time when your contract is up.
  • Reply 29 of 41
    Quote:

Judging by that astonishing bit of English literature you just graced the internet with, I'm so glad you are a judge of intelligence.

Also, last I checked I am an artist not a record label and it is fair as it is. Instead of passing judgement on the way Apple conducts business maybe you should learn the facts first.

OK, if you are an artist on iTunes I'll eat humble pie and apologize. Now it don't read so dumb...

It musta been your spelling of whiny that threw me. If you read your post the way I read it you'll see my imagined point, I'm sure. Anyway, my bad...

What passing judgement on the way Apple conducts its business? I didn't and am pretty much up on the facts
  • Reply 30 of 41
    My favorite line regarding C-Rap "music" is from "The Last Boy Scout" starring Bruce Willis.

Milo, the proverbial bad guy, says: "But just once, I would like to hear you scream in pain... "

Willis says: "Play some rap music".
  • Reply 31 of 41
    Quote:

OK, if you are an artist on iTunes I'll eat humble pie and apologize. Now it don't read so dumb...

It musta been your spelling of whiny that threw me. If you read your post the way I read it you'll see my imagined point, I'm sure. Anyway, my bad...

What passing judgement on the way Apple conducts its business? I didn't and am pretty much up on the facts

what are your facts, not being rude, but you have not provided any factual support so far. All I have read are your opinions.
  • Reply 32 of 41
    So it sounds like his dispute is really around the cut he gets from his label. I'm confused by how suing Apple helps him take a greater control of the profit from distribution. I'm not sure what type of contractual obligations surround Eminem's music (does he have any say in where they are distributed or is that entirely up to his label).

However taking his content of the largest music distributor in the world won't necessarily benefit him.
  • Reply 33 of 41
    While I agree with the "different strokes for different folks" argument, there are some universal truths out there and one of them is that Eminem sucks. He was amusing for a bit but that time has passed and it's not like his 'music' has staying power. Just drop his a$$.
  • Reply 34 of 41
    wow the real slim shady will be suing apple?

for what? for music he's sampled off other people set to some stupid rap lyrics?

let's be real, and I know this might upset kids here, but it's not our problem that we were born in times that great music was being made (hint it's not the past 10-15 years), the real slim shady isn't top 1000 material, let alone top 10.

And let's be completely frank, the guy is crap. He sucks ass, and there's that photo of his face stuck between two ass cheeks to prove that. Actually this guy should be arrested for crimes against music.

He's slime shady, he's the real slim shady, who's slim shady, sue the hottest brand on the globe apple to get some free publicity for your slim to none performances.
  • Reply 35 of 41
    All I know is that before iTunes a small artisit like me had to pretty much sell his soul to find someone to help pick up the record and then help pay to make the CDs. I never worked with a real record company. When iTunes came out I just put my own music on iTunes for zero money. Now I mix everything down my self in Logic Pro then send it to a buddy to master it for me. What's really cool is that I'll be playing in some no where bar and people will get on their iPhone and buy my album...no CDs no real label just get the music out there and I get a check right away from Apple (very cool). In my opinion Apple has made the music world amazing and has always been fair. Back to my origianl point...it frustrates me when these superstars make an ass of themselves by complaining to the wrong people. Apple takes the same cut from the 20 measily albums I might sell to my relatives as this dumbass who sells millions, just think about that.
  • Reply 36 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

what are your facts, not being rude, but you have not provided any factual support so far. All I have read are your opinions.

What are you talking about? I haven't said anything that require facts. Please tell me what specific factual support you want. And in support of what?
  • Reply 37 of 41
    Quote:

All I know is that before iTunes a small artisit like me had to pretty much sell his soul to find someone to help pick up the record and then help pay to make the CDs. I never worked with a real record company. When iTunes came out I just put my own music on iTunes for zero money. Now I mix everything down my self in Logic Pro then send it to a buddy to master it for me. What's really cool is that I'll be playing in some no where bar and people will get on their iPhone and buy my album...no CDs no real label just get the music out there and I get a check right away from Apple (very cool). In my opinion Apple has made the music world amazing and has always been fair. Back to my origianl point...it frustrates me when these superstars make an ass of themselves by complaining to the wrong people. Apple takes the same cut from the 20 measily albums I might sell to my relatives as this dumbass who sells millions, just think about that.

But if Eminem has the clout to increase the cut people like yourself get, isn't that a good thing? The point being made is that digital distribution through iTunes has changed the business model and as a result the labels are getting more, but the artist is not. I don't think Apple is the direct target here but because of Apple's position in the distribution chain the company is necessarily implicated in the legal process to rectify the unjust status quo (according to Eminem and Eight Mile Style). I am surprised you hate Eminem for doing this. From where I stand he should be applauded for stirring things up. The fact that he doesn't need to do it is neither here nor there.
  • Reply 38 of 41
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John the Geek View Post

So he's upset that:
    1. His music is for sale in the the largest music store on the planet without his permission. and...

2. His record company made this deal on his behalf, without consulting him.

Well, 1. Boo hoo Mr. Mathers. 2. That's what record companies do... they sell your music for you!!! What an idiot. How dare your record company you signed an agreement with make you money!!! What is up with that?

Don't like it, negotiate better next time when your contract is up.

f the record comp

let the artist go direct to itunes walmart and target starbucks amazon/

cut everyone out and sell ea song foe 50 cts
  • Reply 39 of 41
    Quote:

But if Eminem has the clout to increase the cut people like yourself get, isn't that a good thing? The point being made is that digital distribution through iTunes has changed the business model and as a result the labels are getting more, but the artist is not. I don't think Apple is the direct target here but because of Apple's position in the distribution chain the company is necessarily implicated in the legal process to rectify the unjust status quo (according to Eminem and Eight Mile Style). I am surprised you hate Eminem for doing this. From where I stand he should be applauded for stirring things up. The fact that he doesn't need to do it is neither here nor there.

I take it DiscoNomad is acting as his own label in dealing with Apple and gets to keep the money outside of paying back whatever expenses are involved in getting the song mastered. If this is the case the lawsuit would not change his take in anyway. I think artists like Eminem have a point that they should receive a bigger slice of the pie for digital distribution, since the costs to the record company are lower. Something for them and their lawyers to tackle in the next contract they negotiate.
  • Reply 40 of 41
    Quote:

What are you talking about? I haven't said anything that require facts. Please tell me what specific factual support you want. And in support of what?

That passing judgement on the way Apple conducts its business? I didn't and am pretty much up on the facts

Above quote from you, so what are the facts?