Intel releases Core i7 'Clarksfield' mobile processors

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Intel this week unveiled two new high-performance Core i7 mobile processors, bringing the power of Nehalem, previously seen only in desktops, to the mobile market.

The Intel Core i7 Mobile Processor and accompanying "Extreme Edition" were unveiled this week at the Intel Developer Forum 2009. The quad-core processors, formerly code named Clarksfield, are said to offer better performance on highly threaded applications and can accelerate the processor clock speed up to 75 percent to match workloads.

"With intelligent features like Intel Turbo Boost Technology, Intel Hyper-Threading Technology and a host of others, Intel has revolutionized the laptop PC processor, delivering performance when you need it, energy efficiency when you don’t," said Dadi Perlmutter, executive vice president and general manager, Intel Architecture Group. "For the first time, mobile users can choose a laptop that delivers Internet-server like speed, right in their laps for the most demanding tasks, from intense gaming to digital video editing and social media applications."

Pricing is $1,054 for the i7-920XM model, $546 for i7-820QM, and $364 for i7-720QM. They debuted alongside the new Intel PM55 Express Chipset. Combined, Intel claims they offer the best laptop experience for gaming, digital media, photos, music, business applications and other multi-threaded tasks.

The processors run at 1.6GHz and 1.73GHz, but each can boost up to 2.8GHz and 3.06GHz, respectively, when necessary. The Extreme Edition i7-92XM runs at 2GHz.

Currently, the MacBook Pro line sports Intel Core 2 Duo processors with speeds from 2.26GHz to 3.06 GHz. The new chips could make their way into future iMac and MacBook Pro designs. However, there has been no evidence to suggest the new chips would show up in any near-term refreshes.

Intel plans to release its dual-core processors code named Arrandale in early 2010. Those chips are said to include two processor cores and graphics under a brand new 32-nanometer technology, and might be an ideal candidate for a future MacBook Pro update.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 82
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Mmmm... if the MBP gets i7 then it'll be time for me to upgrade.
  • Reply 2 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The new chip is essentially a minor upgrade before Intel releases its dual-core processors code named Arrandale in early 2010. Those chips are said to include two processor cores and graphics under a brand new 32-nanometer technology, and might be an ideal candidate for a future MacBook Pro update.

How is a quad core processor a "minor upgrade" before "upgrading" to two cores. That's idiotic.
  • Reply 3 of 82
    Intel sure loves to jack over the consumer when they release a new chip.
  • Reply 4 of 82
    I really need a mobile quad-core machine for editing HD video...

I've said it before and I'll say it again: If HP can do it... http://www.hp.com/united-states/camp...nvy/index.html ...for well under $2K in a notebook, why can't Apple?

I'd rather have a 4 core/ 8 thread Clarksfield i7 (with hyperthreading), and a beefy discrete Nvidia GPU... than a 2 core/ 4 thread Arrandale with a wimpy integrated Intel GPU.

8 threads would surely help me export HD video!... and justify the Pro in MacBook "Pro".
  • Reply 5 of 82
    Good, now Apple can announce the new iMac's on Tuesday.
  • Reply 6 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Good, now Apple can announce the new iMac's on Tuesday.

Given that they haven't announced a media event yet, I would think a week from Monday would be the earliest possible/likely date.
  • Reply 7 of 82
    Quote:

Intel plans to release its dual-core processors code named Arrandale in early 2010. Those chips are said to include two processor cores and

graphics

under a brand new 32-nanometer technology, and might be an ideal candidate for a future MacBook Pro update.

It's great that Apple will upgrade MBP's CPU,

but integrated graphics anyway sucks.

It'd be better to see both NVIDIA and Intel GPU included:

NVIDIA for gaming, Intel for power saving.

If there would be only Intel GPU, then I'll not be surprised if some people will choose older MBP only because

they want NVIDIA and don't want to see their games freezing...
  • Reply 8 of 82
    But will it run Crysis?
  • Reply 9 of 82
    I sure hope this Clarksfield finds its way into the iMac in place of the current dual core chips. The thermal/power envelope seems to be a match, as is the chip pricing and release date.

Actually I'd prefer the low power Xeon because it's higher clocked while only slightly more demanding from a power standpoint, but Apple is unlikely to put a "server" chip in a "consumer" Mac.

Arrandale, because it's merely a dual core processor, is mostly about reducing power consumption and thus extending battery life. Like the quad core Clarksfield it's clocked significantly lower than the current Core 2 Duo so it'll need to make really good use hyperthreading and turbo mode to beat the current MBP.
  • Reply 10 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Given that they haven't announced a media event yet, I would think a week from Monday would be the earliest possible/likely date.

I sincerely doubt that they'll have a media event to trot out the new iMac. It's just not big enough to justify its own event. We'll wake up one day soon to find the news splashed across apple.com, that's all.
  • Reply 11 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CdnBook View Post

I really need a mobile quad-core machine for editing HD video...

I've said it before and I'll say it again: If HP can do it... http://www.hp.com/united-states/camp...nvy/index.html ...for well under $2K in a notebook, why can't Apple?

I'd rather have a 4 core/ 8 thread Clarksfield i7 (with hyperthreading), and a beefy discrete Nvidia GPU... than a 2 core/ 4 thread Arrandale with a wimpy integrated Intel GPU.

8 threads would surely help me export HD video!... and justify the Pro in MacBook "Pro".

A joke? Those dont ship for a month and they are not "well under 2k." The price is estimated $1700-1800.
  • Reply 12 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by clickmyface View Post

A joke? Those dont ship for a month and they are not "well under 2k." The price is estimated $1700-1800.

Ummm... Are we really getting into the semantics of what I personally think is well under 2k?... because last time I checked with myself, I thought $1700-1800 was well under 2k.

And who cares if it doesn't ship for another month... at least HP has come out and announced they're making it.

Remember when the Mac Pro got Nehalem Xeons early, before the rest of the market? What makes you think the MacBook Pro couldn't have gotten the new Nehalem Clarksfields early? Please, your lack of insight on an "insider" forum is the real joke.
  • Reply 13 of 82
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

And who cares if it doesn't ship for another month... at least HP has come out and announced they're making it.

Remember when the Mac Pro got Nehalem Xeons early, before the rest of the market? What makes you think the MacBook Pro couldn't have gotten the new Nehalem Clarksfields early? Please, your lack of insight on an "insider" forum is the real joke.

HP has announced it - that doesn't make it exist.
  • Reply 14 of 82
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    To dream of the day when Apple uses an Intel DESKTOP CPU....
  • Reply 15 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

But then they may not be able to make the case look as cool, and that is waaay more important.... for some.
  • Reply 16 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Smaller, thinner, more compact is the trend. Desktop CPUs are giving way to mobile technology, at least in the segment occupied by the average user (the largest segment.)
  • Reply 17 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

HP has announced it - that doesn't make it exist.

Thank you for that insightful bit of wisdom

Ummm... HP is making it... so it will exist. Need I say more?

Again, if HP can do it, so can Apple.
  • Reply 18 of 82
    Quote:

Thank you for that insightful bit of wisdom

Ummm... HP is making it... so it will exist. Need I say more?

Again, if HP can do it, so can Apple.

Not with aluminum, it will be well under $3k $2799 will be more like it, sorry. Here's to hoping for real processors!
  • Reply 19 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

Not with aluminum, it will be well under $3k $2799 will be more like it, sorry. Here's to hoping for real processors!

If the new MID-RANGE Clarksfield i7 quad-core sells for about the same as a Core 2 Duo in the current 15-inch MBP, why would Apple suddenly raise the price of the MBP from $1699 to $2799??? Think about it.

Not to mention, even the mid-range Clarksfield chip outperforms the fastest Core 2 Duo... making the Clarksfield (with hyperthreading and turbo boost) an excellent performer at great value.

I seem to be encountering a lot of people in these forums who know little about the tech they're commenting on. But don't take my word for it... google it for yourselves.
  • Reply 20 of 82
    Quote:

If the new MID-RANGE Clarksfield i7 quad-core sells for about the same as a Core 2 Duo in the current 15-inch MBP, why would Apple suddenly raise the price of the MBP from $1699 to $2799??? Think about it.

Not to mention, even the mid-range Clarksfield chip outperforms the fastest Core 2 Duo... making the Clarksfield (with hyperthreading and turbo boost) an excellent performer at great value.

I seem to be encountering a lot of people in these forums who know little about the tech they're commenting on. But don't take my word for it... google it for yourselves.

At least you are enthusiastic about it, but there are other things to consider. You seem to think Apple will just ho-hum throw the chips in and that's it there's the upgrade. However, there are other things to consider. Blu-ray, for example, and the associated licensing. Apple will be more expensive than HP or Dell because of the Aluminum enclosures, for one. They also have illuminated keyboards, for two. If HP's 15" is $1700, I don't need Google to tell me Apple's will be more money.

HP's isn't running any operating system you want, with a 7 hour battery and the best hand gesture trackpad on the market in a laptop.

If HP releases for $1700-$1800 as you claim, Apple's prices will go up. They will blame it on the Blu-Ray and won't cry about lost sales in the papers, either.

For someone who loves to compare tech and Google stuff, start with business and marketing to learn why Apple can raise their prices and get away with it.