Apple warns of near-term iMac, Mac mini constraints

Comments

• Reply 41 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elliots11 View Post

My iPhone is a life saver for living in a new city. GPS helps me get where I need to go and find new and useful stuff around me. Streaming radio keeps me from getting bored at work. Any time I need to know anything I reach in my pocket and in 5 minutes I'm a lot more informed. Does it justify the cost of the service? In my case probably, but it's still to expensive, and I can't wait for it to go to other carriers for competitive pricing.

Right, the sooner Apple moves to other carriers the faster the price will come down for both the iPhone and the service. People like myself who can't justify it's high monthly cost or need it will buy one because they want one.

I can afford a iPhone easily, I can afford a Rolls Royce too (if I want to live in it), I just can't justify it's costs. $80 a month is INSANE and not a good value when I got one for $15 a month. That monthly $80+ bill coming in from AT&T just makes me sick, I didn't like it when I was with them before. I was so happy to quit and get a pre-paid phone instead.

I'd rather pay a upfront cost for the phone and service for a year and be done with it, not get soaked every month. It's like dealing with beggars "got some change?" over and over.

Perhaps if I paid someone to take care of all my bills, but then I got to pay them. Will someone work a year if I pay them up front? Or will they just take off with the money?

Apple should use any carrier and encourage a yearly "all you can eat" pre-paid plan.

That would make me happy. Less hassle. Less begging. Sell a hell of a lot of iPhones too.
  • Reply 42 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Give the MacMini HDMI with blu-ray optional and kill the environmentally unfriendly, bastard step-child of Apple,

that iTunes Digital Jukebox, the AppleTV.

No, please don't - or at least drop the price of the Mini and give it AppleTV ease-of-use before killing it off. We've had this conversation elsewhere, but I love my AppleTV. Granted it needs the added functionality the Mini would give it, but I don't think the Mini (as it is) would be the perfect replacement for those of us who primarily want a media client.
  • Reply 43 of 136
    "I'd rather pay a upfront cost for the phone and service for a year and be done with it, not get soaked every month. "

So you'd rather that your provider make interest on a year's worth of fees, rather than you?
  • Reply 44 of 136
    Does Apple ever do what we speculate? I am using a 1st gen MacBook as my HTPC... and really, my PS3 does a better job of it (especially with the companion, MediaLink) and it has Blu-ray. I can watch most all videos that I download (99% podcasts) as well as music, pictures, and Blu-ray movies.

Sony does make up some of the hardware costs with the sale of games, but surely Apple could put BR in a Mini... for being a part of the Blu-ray board, they have done 0 with BR. Maybe, that time is now.
  • Reply 45 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

If you're lucky, you might see the new quad-core Core i7 mobile processor (45nm technology) in the Mac mini or iMac, but if you think you're going to see a MacPro CPU in the mini, don't hold your breath.

The Core 2 Duo chips in the current Mini (P7350/P8400) have a TDP of 25 watts.

The i7 chips have a minimum TDP of 45 watts.

I don't think Apple can go quad core in the Mini until Arrandale chips are released in early 2010.
  • Reply 46 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vandil View Post

The Mini was "just" updated in March after such a long time of stagnation.

I'd be very curious if this was a speedbump or an architectural change. The former would be fun (and make me feel less bad about buying a March 09 Mini). The latter would make my jaw drop.

2.26ghz STD, 2.53 opt. 160gb HD in STD (120gb HD they are using costs more than 160gb, Thank you netbook makers). They already switched to the Pioneer slot loads (which are actually better than advertised since the FW update).

For a Mini the Arch. is already state of the art. in fact to get the same bus spd, graphics perf, cpu speed you need to spend a bit more with Dell or HP (if available).

HP is moving towards low-cost Low power CPU arch. in their consumer line of systems. You'll notice it more Oct 22nd with Win7 intro. They have a couple iMac look-a-likes and laptops that look like a Macbook coming out that day based on AMD's low-cost low power CPU's. THERE NOT BAD for a PC. I like HP's all-in-one better than the iMac in terms of design only because I like the chinless look. I also run their TS series monitors at the office and home. Love'em. - - - That's the mini's competition.
  • Reply 47 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

The Mini won't be getting Blu-Ray, so you can uncross your fingers now.

If it appears it will either be in the likes of a high-end iMac, or it will be a BTO option (likely sold with a frown-inducing markup) on professional product lines and perhaps the iMac as well.

BR Slot load drives only come in 4x (not bad, useable) but cost just over 200 USD in lots of 1000+. It makes it to the Mini it will probably be a $299 BTO, maybe $399 depending on which drives they go with... Pioneer most likely.
  • Reply 48 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

I don't think Apple can go quad core in the Mini until Arrandale chips are released in early 2010.

Yea, i7 cpu's in a sub $1000 Mac... I'd bite my tongue but don't think so. Agree.

Yonah CPU's were 35w tdp though... Use copper and/or ceramic and up the min fan speed you could do 45.
  • Reply 49 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

If matte does become an option, unfortunately it'll probably come at an additional $100 pricetag. Ka-ching! Kind of gives a whole new meaning to a 'greener' Apple.

$100 more is a bit much, even present $50 is too much for many.

But the option should be there, and those who know will pony up the extra bucks because matte screens make their computers all that much more usable in nearly any enviroment, especially laptops.

One would spend a lot more that $100 to darken their windows, cover the lights and paint the walls a dark color to eliminate reflections and glare. Or they can buy a cheap ass $20 anti-glare film, which has to be replaced as it will crack, yellow and peal from the heat of the monitor, sun etc.

What's the use in having a computer if you see your reflection all the time? A mirror is a better value.
  • Reply 50 of 136
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

The Mini won't be getting Blu-Ray, so you can uncross your fingers now.

If it appears it will either be in the likes of a high-end iMac, or it will be a BTO option (likely sold with a frown-inducing markup) on professional product lines and perhaps the iMac as well.

Quoting this because you seem very sure of yourself. If macs get Blu-ray, I could easily see the mini getting it at the very least as a build to order option. Especially if they are announcing iMacs with Blu-ray on the same day.

The competing with Apple TV argument doesn't fly with me because the Mac mini already has the advantage of an optical drive, a Blu-ray drive would simply increase the price differential between the Apple TV and the Blu-ray equipped mini. Different strokes for different folks.

I'm also expecting a "video" event in January announcing the tablet and updating the Apple TV to 1080p (which would increase its value relative to the new mini). Maybe they would even release a 720p dock for the latest iPod touch and iPhone. They are more than capable of 720p. Of course, this is based on nothing but the fact that I think it makes sense.
  • Reply 51 of 136
    I think The new iMac is going to look like the current LED Cinema Display. LIke, Identical.

The Mac mini, and the Macbook are the only two machines that are starting to stand out. I don't know how Apple would change the look of the mini, But, I think its about time they do. its been what? almost 5 years and the mini still looks the same....
  • Reply 52 of 136
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jenkman91 View Post

I think The new iMac is going to look like the current LED Cinema Display. LIke, Identical.

The Mac mini, and the Macbook are the only two machines that are starting to stand out. I don't know how Apple would change the look of the mini, But, I think its about time they do. its been what? almost 5 years and the mini still looks the same....

Identical, as in no chin, but slightly fatter than the cinema display? That could look good.

I don't want the mini's look to change because airport stacks on it nicely and you can get external hard drives of the same shape.
  • Reply 53 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

I can see maybe a core i5 going into the mini or say one of those new dual core atoms with an ion chipset?

There is little likelihood that Apple, at this time, will make substantial changes to the Mini. A speed bump, more memory, boosting the base model up to similar territory to the current top model, these are things to be expected. Going with a new chip set, not so much.

Really, what's Apple's motivation for making significant changes to an already capable machine. They're simply updating the hardware to ensure it remains current. Considering the reason for having the Mini is affordable computing, unnecessary changes are out.

This isn't a bad thing. A Mini with the 9400M, atleast 2gigs of RAM, and a reasonably capable processor is just what most of us need to get the job done. That's available now and all Apple needs to do is make some incremental upgrades to keep the Mini current.
  • Reply 54 of 136
    I believe the mini will simply get a 2.26GHz processor (that's now the lowest one on the Intel price list), more RAM and a bigger HD.

I'm hoping the iMac gets a performance boost and anti-glare glass, but I'm not holding my breath. Apple doesn't seem to want me as a customer.
  • Reply 55 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleBiter View Post

"I'd rather pay a upfront cost for the phone and service for a year and be done with it, not get soaked every month. "

So you'd rather that your provider make interest on a year's worth of fees, rather than you?

Yes if it means the carriers would compete on price and service alone and the net result is more overall annual savings for consumers.

I pay $180 a year up front for voice and text, then forget about it and never see a bill for another year.

It's sweet.
  • Reply 56 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Arrandale will be a DUAL core chip. There are no low power quads in sight for a year.

If Apple isn't prepared to accommodate chips in the 45-60W range they have to stick with the current Penryn Core 2 Duo and that would be suicide.
  • Reply 57 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Identical, as in no chin, but slightly fatter than the cinema display? That could look good.

Yes, that would be ideal so you could add a cinema display of the corresponding size and have the displays be visually identical from the business ends. Thinner is not as important as getting rid of the "chin". (Well, to some, thinner isn't important at all, but, personally, I'd like the computer to become like the Cheshire Cat, but not as chatty.)

The i7 would be nice, more Core 2 Duo would be a bit of a disappointment.

Blu-ray, I don't really care.
  • Reply 58 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

I believe the mini will simply get a 2.26GHz processor (that's now the lowest one on the Intel price list), more RAM and a bigger HD.

I'm hoping the iMac gets a performance boost and anti-glare glass, but I'm not holding my breath. Apple doesn't seem to want me as a customer.

I agree.

If anything's getting the newest i7 notebook quads, it's the top iMac.

Anything other than a mild jostle for the Mini is probs. a long way off.

I'm still hoping for the xMac/headless iMac;

-which I know is about as likely as a Core i9 Mini.
  • Reply 59 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by superkaratemonkeydeathcar View Post

I'm still hoping for the xMac/headless iMac;

-which I know is about as likely as a Core i9 Mini.

Slightly less so, I would think.
  • Reply 60 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleBiter View Post

Better to invest in Apple stock than put money into savings.