Apple warns of near-term iMac, Mac mini constraints

Comments

• Reply 61 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Quoting this because you seem very sure of yourself. If macs get Blu-ray, I could easily see the mini getting it at the very least as a build to order option. Especially if they are announcing iMacs with Blu-ray on the same day.

The competing with Apple TV argument doesn't fly with me because the Mac mini already has the advantage of an optical drive, a Blu-ray drive would simply increase the price differential between the Apple TV and the Blu-ray equipped mini. Different strokes for different folks.

I'm also expecting a "video" event in January announcing the tablet and updating the Apple TV to 1080p (which would increase its value relative to the new mini). Maybe they would even release a 720p dock for the latest iPod touch and iPhone. They are more than capable of 720p. Of course, this is based on nothing but the fact that I think it makes sense.

BlueRay is a "bag of hurt" according to Steve Jobs, I'm on my second PS3 because of a firmware update glitch that Sony is refusing to pay attention too, it's time to ditch mechanical devices anyway.

Now if a BlueRay device can be made without the moving parts, like some sort of flatbed scanner, that would be interesting. But some dumb dumb would burn their eyes out and that would be that.

Look at all the latest trouble with Superdrives, mine failed too, got it replaced under AppleCare. Time is over for these mechanical devices, trouble is there is no cheaper permanent storage medium to replace it.

Apple likes SD now, especially since capacities of up to 2TB are coming down the pipeline.

Blueray? Play it or burn it on a third party external device, that's going to make Hollywood happy and keep Apple out of the MIAA trouble.
  • Reply 62 of 136
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

BlueRay is a "bag of hurt" according to Steve Jobs, I'm on my second PS3 because of a firmware update glitch that Sony is refusing to pay attention too, it's time to ditch mechanical devices anyway.

Now if a BlueRay device can be made without the moving parts, like some sort of flatbed scanner, that would be interesting. But some dumb dumb would burn their eyes out and that would be that.

Look at all the latest trouble with Superdrives, mine failed too, got it replaced under AppleCare. Time is over for these mechanical devices, trouble is there is no cheaper permanent storage medium to replace it.

Apple likes SD now, especially since capacities of up to 2TB are coming down the pipeline.

Blueray? Play it or burn it on a third party external device, that's going to make Hollywood happy and keep Apple out of the MIAA trouble.

Not that I disagree with your overall premise, but a scanner has moving parts too. I'd rather put my faith in a spindle with a laser moving in one axis on a pivot than a scanner which is full of way more moving parts. To your point, Flash is the way of the future and the AppleTV needs upgrading to stay current. Really it would be best to make the AppleTV the Hi-End of the digital HD universe.
  • Reply 63 of 136
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

Blu-ray was a "bag of hurt" a year ago. Things have changed, in particular, the licensing fee structure for Blu-ray and Blu-ray adoption rates. The time of mechanical devices may be over for you, but it is far from over for the general population. I'm sorry you have had bad luck with optical drives as of late.
  • Reply 64 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

Arrandale will be a DUAL core chip. There are no low power quads in sight for a year.

If Apple isn't prepared to accommodate chips in the 45-60W range they have to stick with the current Penryn Core 2 Duo and that would be suicide.

As processors get progressively more capable, having the latest and greatest unit under the hood is rendered progressively less significant. My current Mini, a 1.87 Intel with a gig of RAM, does most things rather well. It has an issue handling HD video files in their native form. It can do it but struggles. Playback of the H.264 files coming from my hybrid camera was a problem but with the arrival of Snow Leopard, that has changed, so watching the files is fine now under the new Quicktime.

That suggests to me that with the right upgrades, the current architecture is capable enough. The latest Mini already is significantly upgraded relative to my Mini. The 9400M GPU alone represents a serious upgrade. Going up significantly in RAM would no doubt also pay huge dividends. Combine that with a jump up from 1.87Ghz to something in the range of 2.53 Ghz and I would be surprised if such a configuration had trouble processing HD files. The processor boost alone would mean a 36 per cent boost. No small thing. And the latest bits in the Mini are better able to take advantage of Snow Leopard advances.

Perhaps I'm naive but I honestly believe that if I opt for a 2.53Ghz Mini with 4 gigs of RAM, this configuration would comfortably handle whatever I throw at it. If that is the case, is there really much gain to be had from being able to say you've got the latest and greatest? Maybe we're coming to the point where all the tick tocking Intel will engage in will be more about marketing than impacting on our lives in a tangible fashion. It seems that there is always some new CPU coming up that blows away the current technology. But if you are going from great to really great to incredibly great, well, great is great. If the current generation of Core 2 Duos are not quite great, they're certainly very, very good. Hopefully they'll be good enough.
  • Reply 65 of 136
    Also of possible interest, if the rumors pan out, may be the new "touch mouse", although, it's not clear to me what this may actually be: Mouse? Trackpad? Hybrid?
  • Reply 66 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

buy cheaper (and less) beer

That is the most asinine comment I have ever seen on this forum — and that's sayin' a lot.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Also of possible interest, if the rumors pan out, may be the new "touch mouse", although, it's not clear to me what this may actually be: Mouse? Trackpad? Hybrid?

I'm thinking it'd be like the regular mouse but without a scroll ball/wheel — you just slide your finger(s) on it to do the multi-touch gestures.
  • Reply 67 of 136
    Quote:

What's the use in having a computer if you see your reflection all the time?

I'm really good looking.
  • Reply 67 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

As processors get progressively more capable, having the latest and greatest unit under the hood is rendered progressively less significant...

That suggests to me that with the right upgrades, the current architecture is capable enough...

Maybe we're coming to the point where all the tick tocking Intel will engage in will be more about marketing than impacting on our lives in a tangible fashion.

If your last point is correct, your overall argument might be right, but I'm skeptical that we've come to that point (or ever will). Perhaps more importantly, how can we ever know if we've come to that point? How can we know that there won't be "something new" in 6 months that is highly beneficial but requires the latest processor to make it usable? I don't think we can.

Historically, buying the low end of currently available processors hasn't been a good bet. I'm not sure I see evidence that we have reached a point where that no longer applies.
  • Reply 69 of 136
    You know what would be neat. A Mini and iMac built on the NEW Atom CPU and nVidia ION chipset. They could build a low-price Mac, provide the experience and still make the profit margins they need. I've done a 330 based Mac just for giggles (INTEL GMA950 though) and it worked really well. The iLife apps responded nicely and everything had that "Feel". I wouldn't expect a 20' screen or FW800 but I would expect a price tag at $399 and $699 respectively. Something simple, something elegant and something "Mac-Like"... Something anyone could afford. That was the basis for the Mini in the first place...

Just throwing it out there because I think it could lead to a more appealing choice to budget buyers. Not Apple's foray but if it wasn't so to speak there Genre then we wouldn't have a shuffle.
  • Reply 70 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

As processors get progressively more capable, having the latest and greatest unit under the hood is rendered progressively less significant.

Agreed, but no computer company can survive if it can't offer customers a reason to upgrade from their perfectly adequate old machines to something new. It's not about what customers need it's about making them want something new.

When new parts with higher performance per dollar are available there's an opportunity to use them as an incentive to upgrade. Failing to offer better performance per dollar leads to customers justifying the continued use of their existing hardware. As you said, most people would be well served by a 3 year old Mac mini. If everyone thought that way Apple would be in big trouble.

Earlier this year a hardware failure forced me to replace a loaded 2.7GHz G5 tower. Because I hadn't budgeted any money for a new computer I had to make do with refurbished Mac mini and a couple of external hard drives. Despite joining the Intel world and getting to enjoy Snow Leopard, I still want something better.

My wife gets headaches sitting in front of our display and I'm really hoping LED backlighting will reduce or eliminate the problem. Going to a high gloss display, however, could increase eye strain caused by the glare and reflections. It's bad enough on my iPod touch that I have to hold the unit at an angle. A 24" screen is 7 times as big and isn't nearly as adjustable.

I know I have high expectations for the iMac but because Apple doesn't sell a mini-tower it's the only machine I can pin my hope on. I'd go hackintosh in a heartbeat if my wife would let me.
  • Reply 71 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by copeland View Post

Looking at my Centris 650, the PowerMac G3 (B&W), and now my March 09 Mini I can second that.

However I would hope they update the AppleTV. The Mini is ok for 6 more months, but the AppleTV is really in a need for an update.

Yeah that would be nice, but i'm not holding my breath.
  • Reply 72 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by philu View Post

Second that. Put the AppleTV FrontRow features in the FrontRow app the rest of the line uses.

The Mac mini is really the platform to use for an HTPC platform if an Apple product is going to be used. iTunes home sharing makes syncing and using content between a home-office system and an HTPC easy. Open up FrontRow so that plug-ins for the likes of MythTV, eyeTV, etc. can easily be added and you've got full DVR going on. My Mac mini died a couple months ago and I've been waiting for something to happen in the mini/AppleTV space before re-committing.

Definitely. I don't understand why they aren't the same already. I guess the main difference being that you can't shop the store on the mini frontrow but you can on the apple tv. This is an issue if you are gonna use a mini as a htpc.
  • Reply 73 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gmcalpin View Post

I'm really good looking.

Now that's a bag of hurt.
  • Reply 74 of 136
    Apple's UK website is down right now.

Think they're uploading the assets for the new line of products, ready to be revealed in the near future?
  • Reply 75 of 136
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,435moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OO9 Lives View Post

Apple's UK website is down right now.

Think they're uploading the assets for the new line of products, ready to be revealed in the near future?

All of Europe and Australia seems to be too. I wonder if they are finally changing the ATV pricing to match the US change.

New Mac Minis is a little unexpected but I guess there's always a CPU increase for the same money. A 2.2 or 2.4GHz starting point would be quite nice.
  • Reply 76 of 136
    Apple demonstrates again why Macs make no sense if you are in business. Imagine that you urgently need to acquire a couple more desktops. "Sorry," says Apple, "none available. Can't say when new models will be in stock. Just put your business on hold for a few weeks." No supplier to business can afford to behave that way towards its customers. Apple remains a consumer product.
  • Reply 77 of 136
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Achilles View Post

Apple demonstrates again why Macs make no sense if you are in business. Imagine that you urgently need to acquire a couple more desktops. "Sorry," says Apple, "none available. Can't say when new models will be in stock. Just put your business on hold for a few weeks." No supplier to business can afford to behave that way towards its customers. Apple remains a consumer product.

I doubt the situation is as dire as you make it out to be. It's not like there are absolutely none in stock anywhere.
  • Reply 78 of 136
    For the love of apple, apple: MATTE.

As for the updates: sweet.

And if now quad cores appear, please boys and gals, let's keep the nagging to a min. There's always a mac pro. It's not as if dual core cpus can't handle pretty much everything.
  • Reply 79 of 136
    Quote:

Get a crappy hp then. Enjoy your windows experience. You can take a horse to the water...

btw you've not really figured this thing out, it's not as if you can't find retailers to buy macs now...and of course all self respecting businesses never plan ahead, they just wake up on day and go, we need new computers....
  • Reply 80 of 136
    Quote:

I guess every now and then the Cult of Microsoft people suddenly think they have this epiphany as to why their computers are superior and register at AI just to post it and show us the error of our ways.

It's not like you can contact any other computer manufacturer, or go to some one particular store, and always be able to get the exact model that you want, so this isn't exactly exciting news.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

...and of course all self respecting businesses never plan ahead, they just wake up on day and go, we need new computers....

Sadly, I think that's exactly what many of them do do.