Steve Jobs' wealth shrinks; Mac online share grows

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple co-founder Steve Jobs is revealed to be the No. 43 wealthiest American with a net worth of $5.1 billion; and since the launch of Snow Leopard, the share of Mac OS X machines online has grown 5 percent.

Jobs in top 50 on Forbes list

Forbes this week released its annual list of the 400 wealthiest people in America. Coming in at No. 43 was Apple co-founder Steve Jobs, who lost an estimated $600 million from last year's worth. Still, it's been a good year for Jobs, as his company's stock value has more than doubled since its low in January of this year.

Calling him the "cultish king of the iGeeks," the report noted that Jobs took a leave of absence early this year for health reasons, but made a triumphant return to his company this summer.

The 54-year-old famously takes a salary of only $1 for his work at Apple, but receives millions in compensation in the form of stock options.

The report said that the CEO's best investment was purchasing Pixar from George Lucas in 1986 for $10 million. He sold the company to Disney in 2006 for $7.4 billion in stock.

Snow Leopard launch sees Mac adoption

Since its debut one month ago, Snow Leopard has seen adoption by nearly one in five Mac users on the Web, data from Net Applications released Thursday shows. The survey is compiled from browser data of about 160 million visits to Web sites from all over the globe.

But as noted by Fortune Brainstorm Tech, during the same frame, total Mac share online grew 5 percent in September to 5.12 percent, up from 4.87 percent worldwide in August.

Whether Snow Leopard is specifically driving Mac adoption is not known but, given the timing, is likely a major factor. The study found that 18.45 percent of Mac users have upgraded to Snow Leopard since its Aug. 28 release.

Last month, NPD Market Research revealed that Mac OS X 10.6 sold twice as well as Leopard and four times better than Tiger, Snow Leopard's two predecessors. Specific sales figures were not released in the study. However, analyst Gene Munster with Piper Jaffray predicted that Apple would sell 5 million copies of the operating system during the September launch window.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    801801 Posts: 271member
    A 600 million here, 600 million there.

It can really ad up after a while.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    I'm in love with snow leopard

I love it even more than I did leopard
  • Reply 3 of 24
    icarbonicarbon Posts: 196member
    I know... I seriously feel for Steve on this one.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    Yeah, but somehow I don't think that he's going to be scrounging for food at the local Hare Krishna temple any time soon.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,109member
    Wow, his total net worth is a few bil less than the value of the Pixar deal, so since then he lost that much *plus* the entire value of his other holdings (Apple, real estate and black turtlenecks combined)?
  • Reply 6 of 24
    The 5.12% is for the whole planet, Statcounters has similar numbers worldwide, but shows OSX marketshare in the US to be about 11-11.5% lately
  • Reply 7 of 24
    It's strange that reporters are interested in Jobs' loss of wealth. I'm sure he's not all that concerned about it. Jobs is more aware than most of us how life may be taken away at any moment. As they say, "You never see a Brinks truck at the end of a funeral procession."

I wonder if he'll decide to step back down at some point and become a philanthropist like Bill and Melinda Gates.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    Maybe we can take up a collection...
  • Reply 9 of 24
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    i've moved up a couple rungs this year as well. you'll see, just as soon as forbes releases its annual list of the 250 million wealthiest people in america.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,036member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Retrogusto View Post

Wow, his total net worth is a few bil less than the value of the Pixar deal, so since then he lost that much *plus* the entire value of his other holdings (Apple, real estate and black turtlenecks combined)?

I'm sure he had to pay at least a couple of billion dollars in taxes on the 7.4 billion dollars in got in DIS stocks.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    Appleinsider make Steve Jobs 43rd position sound like a bad thing!

Steve jobs has now attained his highest ever position on Forbes 400 list his previous highest being 49th position back in 2007. Last year he was only 61st position.

Jobs' $5.1 billion net worth marks a significant turnaround from just six months ago, when Jobs checked in as the 178th wealthiest person in the world with an estimated net worth of only $3.4 billion. Since that time, Disney's stock price has risen nearly 90% while Apple's has more than doubled, generating significant gains for Jobs.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Retrogusto View Post

The report notes as Jobs' best investment his purchase of Pixar from George Lucas in 1986 for $10 million. With Disney's acquisition of Pixar in 2006, Jobs became the largest individual Disney stockholder with a stake currently worth $3.9 billion.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

i've moved up a couple rungs this year as well. you'll see, just as soon as forbes releases its annual list of the 250 million wealthiest people in america.

ps. share the wealth Steve! (grin)
  • Reply 14 of 24
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    One expensive liver.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    What- no mention of Bill Gates' position on the list?
  • Reply 16 of 24
    It would be interesting to know his position were those who chose their parents well (i.e. inherited their wealth like all those Duponts and Waltons) removed from the list. From what I know of his bio, he made every cent he has. Maybe an enlightened Forbes reader could do the math?
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The report said that the CEO's best investment was purchasing Pixar from George Lucas in 1986 for $10 million. He sold the company to Disney in 2006 for $7.4 billion in stock.

Wow I wish I could get a return of 740 times on my investments over 20 year.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    I still don't see where it says his wealth "shrinks"

• Reply 19 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Appleinsider make Steve Jobs 43rd position sound like a bad thing!

Steve jobs has now attained his highest ever position on Forbes 400 list his previous highest being 49th position back in 2007. Last year he was only 61st position.

Jobs' $5.1 billion net worth marks a significant turnaround from just six months ago, when Jobs checked in as the 178th wealthiest person in the world with an estimated net worth of only $3.4 billion. Since that time, Disney's stock price has risen nearly 90% while Apple's has more than doubled, generating significant gains for Jobs.

Quoted for value.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gm7Cadd9 View Post

I still don't see where it says his wealth "shrinks"

Niether do I, and we should always keep in mind that these "personal wealth" figures only reflect holdings which they have to disclose publicly under SEC regulations, which in the case of CEOs is generally only going to be the company they work for, or where they serve on the board of directors. I also don't believe it includes the potential value of options they may hold.