Not quite Flash, Adobe announces iPhone native app porting

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

Did you seriously just call him out for capitalization of 'web'?

Read up on the subject before you bring grammar to a completely unrelated debate. The issue of whether 'Web' and 'Internet' should be capitalized and when, if ever, is still hotly debated among those who actually care, and is also contradicted in some styleguides.

Even Wikipedia can tell you some more.

Wha? No, no, I was highlighting his mention of the web/Web/wtfever to point out the distinction between Flash embedded in a page and Flash running inside its own little application environment. I don't particularly care about the capitalization.
  • Reply 22 of 50
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Here's my question (without having read any technical docs yet):

Did they create some kind of cross-compiler that takes Flash code and spits out a native Cocoa app, or are they just slapping a Flash interpreter wrapper around people's apps? The first seems like a HUGE amount of work, fraught with challenging technical hurdles. The second seems like it would be out of compliance with Apple's iPhone Developer Agreement.

This is after only a couple minutes of analysis without digging in yet. Must be missing something.
  • Reply 23 of 50
    I tried all the free offerings of the flash based games that are already available on the App store (Red Hood, Trading Stuff, and That Roach Game), and the performance is abysmal. A screen fade in the roach game looked like it was going 5-10 FPS for example.

Don?t know if it?s the programmers fault or the flash layer of development, but if there is a big performance hit from using the flash route to make games, all the polishing in the world will give you just that- a shiny piece of poop.

• Reply 24 of 50
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    I have to agree. Flash sucks. It has uses for animation, but when it started taking over navigation, they went too far. I don't need animated menus that take 30 seconds before I can use them. I just want to click a link and get to where I want to go. Now I'm forced into Menutisements on far too many web pages.

It needs to die a horrible death or at least be put back in it's animation box where it belongs.
  • Reply 25 of 50
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Enjoy the freedom of Adobe's Flash, not that you'd want to side with the control freak open standards of the kind Apple supports.

So how much is Adobe paying you to help them continue their proprietary monopoly?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NonVendorFan View Post

So every other other fricking smart phone was smart enough to sign with Adobe and get Full Flash except Apple and Steve's fricking control Freak iTunes Store.

The iPhone is going to get watered down Apple Kool-Aid version of recompiled Flash and every other Smart Phone is going to have Full Blown Flash.

• Reply 26 of 50
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    oh sh*t NVF ban expired. Here we go again.

For the record I think Flash is pretty cool as long as you don't hit the back button. YMMV.

What do they say in Europe? Your Kilometer-age may vary?
  • Reply 27 of 50
    tsatsa Posts: 129member
    Quote:

So every other other fricking smart phone was smart enough to sign with Adobe and get Full Flash except Apple and Steve's fricking control Freak iTunes Store.

The iPhone is going to get watered down Apple Kool-Aid version of recompiled Flash and every other Smart Phone is going to have Full Blown Flash.

2 and a half years I've been waiting for Flash and this is Steve's solution? 7

It's the start of the 90's all over again and every other phone is going to surpass the iPhone because of Apple and Steve Jobs Control Issues just like Apple's OS.

I'm with you until there. I don't really get what OSX for the Mac has to do with the iPhone though. Anyway, I can't wait for the Nokia N900 to come out. That thing is so much more cool than the iPhone!
  • Reply 28 of 50
    Quote:

2 and a half years I've been waiting for Flash and this is Steve's solution? 7

It's the start of the 90's all over again and every other phone is going to surpass the iPhone because of Apple and Steve Jobs Control Issues just like Apple's OS.

WinMo, Android, PRE, HTC all will have Flash & Multi Tasking. Apple is giving us BS toy app's that the average 3rd grader is going to love.

I am so glad I didn't buy the 3GS. The 3G will be the last Apple product I ever own.

Good luck with the new Macs coming out. I'm sure the last years processors will run the new Macs great and will be all the rage at the Apple Stores. :/Sarcasm.

So all that ranting, do you actually have any point to enlighten us with or is that your daily rant as you promised to Ballmar & Co.
  • Reply 29 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tsa View Post

I'm with you until there. I don't really get what OSX for the Mac has to do with the iPhone though. Anyway, I can't wait for the Nokia N900 to come out. That thing is so much more cool than the iPhone!

If you do not understand, then before making judgement, actually research the topic!

As for Nokia N900, let's see what happens when it is released. My personal opinion is the the same old tired design with touch screen capabilities and better operating system, then N97.
  • Reply 30 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

If you do not understand, then before making judgement, actually research the topic!

Did I make a judgement? I don't remember.
  • Reply 31 of 50
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:

I am so glad I didn't buy the 3GS.

So are we all.

Quote:

The 3G will be the last Apple product I ever own.

Is that a promise? We'd hate to see you back here in the future.
  • Reply 32 of 50
    Maybe when you get one you can send an MMS to my iPhone...

...oh hang on the N900 doesn't support MMS.

Too bad it's stuck in landscape mode most of the time, I'm sure it won't take the open source community working for free, too long to overcome these minor issues and contribute to Nokia's profits.

Don't you think it's just a little ironic that you linked to a site called my-symbian when the N900 is a sign of Nokia abandoning that platform in favour of Linux?

Quote:

• Reply 33 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Maybe when you get one you can send an MMS to my iPhone...

...oh hang on the N900 doesn't support MMS.

That sure is a bit strange, but OTOH why use expensive MMS when you can just as easily mail your pictures using your unlimited data plan?

Quote:

Too bad it's stuck in landscape mode most of the time, I'm sure it won't take the open source community working for free, too long to overcome these minor issues and contribute to Nokia's profits.

Good point. I always wonder why people do that. I guess just for the fun of it. Anyway, I think open standards are much more important than open source. Apple is doing well in that regard.

Quote:

Don't you think it's just a little ironic that you linked to a site called my-symbian when the N900 is a sign of Nokia abandoning that platform in favour of Linux?

Yes it is I realized that. I guess they will have to change their name to 'my-open-source,-Nokia-supported-mobile-phone-OS.com'
  • Reply 34 of 50
    my-not-so-symbian-anymore.com?

I notice that Symbian Freak that source of unbiased information presented in such a tasteful and pleasant way has already moved with the times with a maemo section in his forums.

Quote:

Yes it is I realized that. I guess they will have to change their name to 'my-open-source,-Nokia-supported-mobile-phone-OS.com'

• Reply 35 of 50
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Certainly they could get a lot of good will by simply giving up on the concept of Flash embedded videos when there is simply no reason to use Flash for that anymore. But no, Adobe seems to be more about monopoly lock-in than actual solutions providing.

Apple don't do monopoly lock-ins for their own financial interests then?

• Reply 36 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

So ... port your half-assed flash game to the new platform in a half-assed way?

It's easy to see why Adobe is on top!

Yeah...stupid Adobe with all their failing products, like Photoshop. What a disaster that was. And that stupid Flash, which is industry-standard, useable on 99% of computers and has no real competitor (even stopped another Microsoft monopoly)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

What do they say in Europe? Your Kilometer-age may vary?

I can't believe how many levels of stupid you covered in one sentence...that must be a new record. Or a terrible joke.

Quote:

Yes, you said a Nokia was better than the iPhone. Short memory

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

I have to agree. Flash sucks. It has uses for animation, but when it started taking over navigation, they went too far. I don't need animated menus that take 30 seconds before I can use them. I just want to click a link and get to where I want to go. Now I'm forced into Menutisements on far too many web pages.

It needs to die a horrible death or at least be put back in it's animation box where it belongs.

I think you missed the point of Flash-based web sites, which are designed to display consistently no matter what browser you're using. Presumably you also complain when you can't view something or something displays wrongly in Safari or Firefox too?
  • Reply 37 of 50
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    OK, Adobe compiles their Flash stuff into .ipa format. Not that bad, actually. Sure, there will be tons of errors and incompatibilities, yet this is all they can do.
  • Reply 38 of 50
    Quote:

Yes, you said a Nokia was better than the iPhone. Short memory

[/QUOTE]

I did indeed, but (oh boy this is going to be complicated) but the poster to whom I said that I didn't see what the iPhone had to do with OSX on the Mac was suddenly calling OSX on the Mac 'just like the iPhone' or something, and then you said I should research but I thought I hadn't compared OSX on the iPhone and on the Mac so therefore I asked if I made a judgement. Got it? Me, I'm a bit confused right now
  • Reply 39 of 50
    tawilsontawilson Posts: 484member
    Quote:

That sure is a bit strange, but OTOH why use expensive MMS when you can just as easily mail your pictures using your unlimited data plan?

Well that's the point us iPhone owners have been making all along. It just seems to have been ignored.
  • Reply 40 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tawilson View Post

Well that's the point us iPhone owners have been making all along. It just seems to have been ignored.

I saw that my provider doesn't even list MMS prices anymore. I think it's dying a slow death because of its extreme expensiveness (at least here in the Netherlands).