Mossberg: Windows 7 narrows the gap with Apple's Mac OS X

Comments

• Reply 341 of 465
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nofear1az View Post

True, it is not for the average user to be mucking around in the Registry but for what I do, it gives me the ability to add/remove app settings to the registry to many people quickly.

Something is only as good as it is when something goes wrong. The main problem is that most users have no idea what to do with the registry, and walking someone through how to fix it on a support call is difficult at best. It's not programmatically more difficult to read and write from and to an XML database and it's a lot easier to tell a user to just delte that plist file.
  • Reply 342 of 465
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yuusharo View Post

You're upset by this? In the wake of Microsoft Office Web Applications and now, a FREE version of Office, why is this a bad thing? Google Docs is ad-supported, Gmail is ad-supported, Bing, Yahoo and Google ALL have ad-supported searches... doesn't bother me in the least.

Hell, this SITE is ad-supported. You have to pay the bills, somehow. And if you don't want it, guess what? You don't have to get it.

Or you could get Open Office... for free, with no ads.

Besides Office 2010 Starter Edition ISN'T free.
  • Reply 343 of 465
    yuusharoyuusharo Posts: 311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

Or you could get Open Office... for free, with no ads.

Besides Office 2010 Starter Edition ISN'T free.

You could also use Office Web Apps or Google docs. They're free as well.

I should be corrected that the suite is only available to new PCs that comes preinstalled by the OEM. But it is free to those users. Better to have something that works forever than crap trial software:

"Office Starter 2010 is a reduced-functionality, advertising-supported version of Office 2010, available exclusively on new PCs."
  • Reply 344 of 465
    Quote:

You could also use Office Web Apps or Google docs. They're free as well.

I should be corrected that the suite is only available to new PCs that comes preinstalled by the OEM. But it is free to those users. Better to have something that works forever than crap trial software:

"Office Starter 2010 is a reduced-functionality, advertising-supported version of Office 2010, available exclusively on new PCs."

MS Works was "free" (OEM installed), no ads there.

I'm not sure why you're so quick to defend it. It's bloatware, pure and simple. Even Gizmodo had a crapfit over it.
  • Reply 345 of 465
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by buceta View Post

Etc, etc... Time machine puts everything Windows will ever come out with to shame. It is not even close. Every application written for PC is crapware because of the underlying OS structure.

I agree... But as an X-Platform developer... It's not all bad. Well, maybe you weren't talking about it that way...
  • Reply 346 of 465
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xwiredtva View Post

OS X has since 2000 and before that Protected Memory. In windows you can open a JPG file that contains a virus or like and it can infect system files that are in memory because it doesn't "protect" the memory. Win 7 randomizes much like Vista but it's still not the correct way to go about protecting the memory environment.

Virtual PC rewrite I think was started 2 years ago to take advantage of the VT... But your correct in stating that capability wasn't available until 7... It was however capable in every other OS on the planet.

Correct me, but the XP VM system... Is that gonna be avail on 7 Home?

only on Ultimate

for the memory randomization there was a security researcher who said that SL doesn't go as far as 7 and that Windows does it better
  • Reply 347 of 465
    yuusharoyuusharo Posts: 311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

MS Works was "free" (OEM installed), no ads there.

I'm not sure why you're so quick to defend it. It's bloatware, pure and simple. Even Gizmodo had a crapfit over it.

I'm not sure why you're so quick to denounce it. And besides... its Gizmodo! They have a crapfit over everything, you know that.
  • Reply 348 of 465
    Quote:

I'm not sure why you're so quick to denounce it. And besides... its Gizmodo! They have a crapfit over everything, you know that.

I didn't denounce it. at least not until that last post.

I just can't stand ads... whoever's doing them. I got rid of Cable for that very reason.
  • Reply 349 of 465
    archer75archer75 Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

Are you kidding me? NeXT, owned by Steve Jobs, was bought by Apple. NeXTStep, had the dock, and it's NeXTStep that became updated, gained features from OS 9, and was renamed OS X. Therefore, by chain of ownership, Apple owns the software that originated the Dock, and thus never copied it from anyone at all.

A brief history:

http://lowendmac.com/orchard/05/next...r-history.html

And NEXT stole the dock idea from OS/2
  • Reply 350 of 465
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

The greed of Steve Jobs will be the demise of Apple.

I would hazard a guess that Steve Jobs is a lot less greedy now than he was when he rejoined Apple 12 years ago.

No demise yet. 12 years and counting.
  • Reply 351 of 465
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post

For fucks sake, Mossberg is one of Apple's biggest fans in print. Perhaps he gave Windows 7 a good review because its actually good? Posts like yours give websites like this a bad name.

Amen.
  • Reply 352 of 465
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

Eh? Am I missing something? Has something big changed from the RTM? Was Mossberg bribed to say this? I knew he was a Mac user (NEVER was a fan. just because he uses the products he thinks that best suit his needs it doesn't make him a fan), but this is just garbage. It doesn't have as many features as the Dock does, and the features it has that the Dock doesn't (probably the "further" stuff) are so small and worthless they might be there only to show off.

of course he was bribed to say good things about windows 7

he forgot to add that unless you have 4 gb of ram in your computer, it's unbearable to use, and aero peek is horrendous and confusing if you have many open windows

all those that think that he's a "fan" and that he wasn't bribed, really, what do you think santa will bring you this christmas?
  • Reply 353 of 465
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

he forgot to add that unless you have 4 gb of ram in your computer, it's unbearable to use, and aero peek is horrendous and confusing if you have many open windows

all those that think that he's a "fan" and that he wasn't bribed, really, what do you think santa will bring you this christmas?

I decided not to comment in this discussion until this guy open is mouth again. You love Apple, I understand, so do I, but you make me look like what was the word extremeskater used 'elitist'.

When you comment provide actually factual data, know who you are talking about and understand the subject clearly. before making a comment.

One more important thing,at least be fair in your comments, I hate uninformed Apple or MS Fanboys because just make all of us look bad.

I am a die hard Apple guy, not because I hate MS, but I found that Apple provide the level of service, which suits my needs and feel comfortable that any issues will be fixed in reasonable time.

I hate OEM business because there is no accountable and MS have a poor record of customer support/service for consumers (just my observation over the years).

I would like windows 7 to work, simple because I am also a avid gamer and majority of games are released for windows platform. With intel Macs, now EA and others are founding easier to release Mac compatible version without too much re-work. Still I need windows 7 via bootcamp or parallels.

I would prefer Windows 7 to be successful and actually may cause Apple to raise the bar again with their next operating system release, competition means innovation in Apple's case and always good for the consumer.
  • Reply 354 of 465
    Quote:

Accusing a man of bribery when his job depends on expected credibility is a serious accusation, my friend. Doubt you'd ever had the guts to say it to the man face to face, where there are actually consequences to your words.

In any case, what are you blabbering about? I have a machine that's running Windows 7 that's nearly 5 years old (Dell Dimension 2400), and it only has 1gb of ram in it. Though the hardware is showing its age, Windows 7 runs just as beautifully as it does on my modern desktop! For someone like my mother, who just wants a reliable computer that surfs the web, plays her music, and checks her email, its perfect.

Obviously if you choose Macs as your favorite, that's fine. But don't go spewing lies about other people and the product itself. Careful what you say - they'll bite you back someday.
  • Reply 355 of 465
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member
    Quote:

yes i do think they're paying for good reviews, don't you know what kind of corporation they are?

have you used windows 7? it's pathetic, slow, bloated, still has a registry, no spaces-like feature (which they'll steal from apple in their next version)...

No, I must disagree. Windows 7 is vastly better than Vista, on almost every front, and it is really quite nice to use. I have it running in a VMWare 3 VM on a low end iMac and it is quite performant - not bad at all.

If you will forgive my use of the term, you must not think like a fanboy. Is it true that there are certain folks who will never ever consider windows? Yes, of course. But for every one of them there are dozens (if not hundreds) of consumers that will look at windows 7, and look at OSX, and ask themselves "what's the difference?" Windows 7 has the potential to bring the PC world back to 'close enough' territory, and that has not historically been good for Apple. Am I predicting that Apple will stop increasing market share? I will not go that far, though I suspect there is some risk of that, failing anything significant on the OS front from Apple. Regardless, Windows 7 will make the competition a lot more fierce, and I think there is a reasonable probability that the new M$ stores will also begin to drive the value proposition message more than Microsoft previously has.

Whenever I watch Balmer speak, I'm always struck with this feeling that 'Man, this guy is arrogant.' That's bad news in business. Gates was acutely aware that his company had to keep improving or it would soon be overtaken by other companies. Balmer hasn't been that way; he has spent more time dismissing trends than addressing them, and look where MS is now: they have virtually lost the smartphone market to Apple, and they are a day late and a dollar short on Win 7. That's what arrogance does to you; as the Good Book says, pride goeth before a fall.

Anyway, I make that point because I see a lot of folks in these forums who are eager to dismiss anything that a competitor to Apple might put forth. That's arrogant, and may I say just a little bit ignorant as well. Harboring that kind of hubris is only possible, in my opinion, when you don't have a very significant grasp of history. Those wishing to dust off their history books might look back to the mid 90's, just before Jobs came back to Apple. Apple had become arrogant and complacent, and the company escaped destruction by the skin of their teeth. Even Jobs has gone on record affirming that he didn't initially want the job as CEO, because he wasn't sure the company could be saved. He had doubts throughout the early part of his reign as to whether or not the company would survive. So, the lesson in that is that even companies that create beautiful, elegant, empowering technologies that sometimes even shape our world and modify how we live our lives... even those companies can fail and fall apart if their leadership becomes complacent to the challenges their competitors present.

I hope that the people milling about 1 infinite loop each day don't share in your attitude, at least as exemplified by this particular post. Rather, I hope they carefully examine the challenges presented by Android, and Win 7, and whatever other new tech development appears on the scene. I hope they study these issues and I hope they craft strategy to remain dominant, because frankly speaking, in this business if you are not advancing, you are retreating. Arrogance almost universally leads to complacency, and that cannot have good outcomes.
  • Reply 356 of 465
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by soul8o8 View Post

How does Windows 7 handle running apps on multiple monitors?

Does it still work like this?

No, it doesn't. It doesn't even work that way in Vista.
  • Reply 357 of 465
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

No, I must disagree. Windows 7 is vastly better than Vista, on almost every front, and it is really quite nice to use. I have it running in a VMWare 3 VM on a low end iMac and it is quite performant - not bad at all.

If you will forgive my use of the term, you must not think like a fanboy. Is it true that there are certain folks who will never ever consider windows? Yes, of course. But for every one of them there are dozens (if not hundreds) of consumers that will look at windows 7, and look at OSX, and ask themselves "what's the difference?" Windows 7 has the potential to bring the PC world back to 'close enough' territory, and that has not historically been good for Apple. Am I predicting that Apple will stop increasing market share? I will not go that far, though I suspect there is some risk of that, failing anything significant on the OS front from Apple. Regardless, Windows 7 will make the competition a lot more fierce, and I think there is a reasonable probability that the new M$ stores will also begin to drive the value proposition message more than Microsoft previously has.

Whenever I watch Balmer speak, I'm always struck with this feeling that 'Man, this guy is arrogant.' That's bad news in business. Gates was acutely aware that his company had to keep improving or it would soon be overtaken by other companies. Balmer hasn't been that way; he has spent more time dismissing trends than addressing them, and look where MS is now: they have virtually lost the smartphone market to Apple, and they are a day late and a dollar short on Win 7. That's what arrogance does to you; as the Good Book says, pride goeth before a fall.

Anyway, I make that point because I see a lot of folks in these forums who are eager to dismiss anything that a competitor to Apple might put forth. That's arrogant, and may I say just a little bit ignorant as well. Harboring that kind of hubris is only possible, in my opinion, when you don't have a very significant grasp of history. Those wishing to dust off their history books might look back to the mid 90's, just before Jobs came back to Apple. Apple had become arrogant and complacent, and the company escaped destruction by the skin of their teeth. Even Jobs has gone on record affirming that he didn't initially want the job as CEO, because he wasn't sure the company could be saved. He had doubts throughout the early part of his reign as to whether or not the company would survive. So, the lesson in that is that even companies that create beautiful, elegant, empowering technologies that sometimes even shape our world and modify how we live our lives... even those companies can fail and fall apart if their leadership becomes complacent to the challenges their competitors present.

I hope that the people milling about 1 infinite loop each day don't share in your attitude, at least as exemplified by this particular post. Rather, I hope they carefully examine the challenges presented by Android, and Win 7, and whatever other new tech development appears on the scene. I hope they study these issues and I hope they craft strategy to remain dominant, because frankly speaking, in this business if you are not advancing, you are retreating. Arrogance almost universally leads to complacency, and that cannot have good outcomes.

Great comments and well written!

I was trying to found newest quotes from SJ (Apple) and SB (MS) to show that arrogrance causes more harm than good. Unfortunately I spend over hour trying to found something this year for SJ and found nothing (does not mean it is not there, but he has been sick), but SB Ohboy see his latest comments http://www.reuters.com/article/ousiv...5974OZ20091008.

I think tablet will be a big hit, if it is marketed right by Apple, I am certainly do not believe what Ballmar says,simple because he has history of saying opposite of what happens in consumer market.
  • Reply 358 of 465
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post

For fucks sake, Mossberg is one of Apple's biggest fans in print. Perhaps he gave Windows 7 a good review because its actually good? Posts like yours give websites like this a bad name.

Said this in January when msft gave it away free.

Runs old hardware very fast, IT wil upgrade which meanss consumers will too.

This is going to be very big for msft. Search my post back in Jan.

If courier turns out to be true and controled by msft and no oem's, watch out, this will change everything.

Peace.
  • Reply 359 of 465
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

Sir, I congratulate you for easily the best post on this entire topic.

Apple do need to be wary of Microsoft. They have both vast resources, and more importantly, a vast incumbent installed base which is of huge value, and if these things are leveraged correctly, they will remain a force. The thing that Apple need to be most concerned about though is that whilst Microsoft have a frankly dismal CEO, they now have a really world class Chief Software Architect in Ray Ozzie. If you think, this is the first time Microsoft have had a guy in charge of software who is qualified to be there - Bill Gates had no qualifications in computer science (for Apple, Bertrand Serlet has a doctorate in computer science) and that will make a difference in how they put products together. Under Ozzie, their software could well get good.

As an Apple fan however, I do think that they will be OK and again, you touch on why. I believe the people at 1 Infinite Loop do not think like many of the people on this board, and understand that they need to make the absolute best product possible, not merely something better than Microsoft.

I mentioned this in a previous post, I hope Microsoft do get good, because Apple will probably get even better, and for us consumers, that's fantastic news.
  • Reply 360 of 465
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10370369-56.html

"As is often the case with Windows, Iolo found that things only get worse over time. It found that a three-month-old machine can take up to a minute longer to boot, or 2 minutes and 34 seconds. Windows 7 did outperform Vista at the three-month and six-month marks, Iolo said, but it generally "trailed the older version significantly" in its boot-up tests."

Looks like Windows 7 users will still be thinking about a clean install every few months... and wondering why they didn't switch to Mac.