Mossberg: Windows 7 narrows the gap with Apple's Mac OS X

1181920212224»

Comments

• Reply 461 of 465
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by starnyc View Post

People will prefer to suffer under XP until their machines break rather than upgrade to Windows 7, unless they are PROSUMERs. Prosumers are being lost to the mac platform.

In the astounding rate so high in the negative percentages. Only ppl i know moving to mac are ppl who suck at computers and buy blackberrys and iphones cuz they think they are somehow better at making phone calls.
  • Reply 462 of 465
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrstep View Post

Yeah, I think the taskbar management for launching/running apps has improved, but it doesn't fix the rest of the user experience. Other apps still are just awful to use and what's underneath the OS covers haven't really improved either.

Like? show me the failures of the kernel and essential runtimes, im sure some of the brightest minds on earth never noticed the truths you have unearthed.
  • Reply 463 of 465
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Mossberg seems to be completely missing the point of SL. No, maybe it's not a, "typical Apple lust-provoking product," because it isn't packed full of fun new user features, but it is packed full of fun new developer features, and lays a very strong foundation for Mac OS X to continue to develop as a platform. Windows 7, although apparently a huge improvement in user experience over Vista (from all reports, no hands on myself), is, by all accounts, no great technological advancement, but a minor evolution built on the same old crufty code base.

That and his reported comments on Vista at its introduction cast some doubt on his authority in these matters, even if he is generally fairly pro-apple.

Yeah, SL is no new release... its a Service Pack that mindless minions were willing to pay for. Yay for ppl with scrotophilia.
  • Reply 464 of 465
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gbyrne View Post

Nobody switches 'back' to Win from Mac. I know 16 people who went Win -> Mac, know of nobody going the other way. What Win 7 might do is stem the tide of new switchers which is a major contribution to new mac sales.

Win 7 looks good, by comparison with where it's coming from (i.e. Vista). Indeed, were it not for OS X, we might think Win 7 was very good indeed. Apple have been very clever with Snow Leopard - 10.6 was used as an opportunity to trim the code base, address deficiencies and legacy issues and lay architectural groundwork for 10.7 and beyond. GCD, 64 bit and other improvements in the core make the next great leap forward much easier for Apple. What is most impressive is the shared core between all the device platforms Mac desktop, laptop, server, aTV, iPhone and iPod Touch.

That's where the relentless progress of Apple and OS X is coming from.

And Microsoft's lack of a credible unified platform will continue to allow Apple to grow for the next decade.

I know, lemme count.. 9 people that have moved to Windows + 3 PPL that went OSX -> Linux -> Windows, I know 1 person that went Linux OSX Win, and 1 person that went win - mac - win.

2 people i know went mac and have been there for 4 years now.
  • Reply 465 of 465
    I have to say that, all anti pc hysteria and pro-pc hype aside.

It really does crash better than XP.

I worked on a domain migration last weekend.

After soldiering hip deep through dozens of XP machines I was happy to get to a 7 machine (yeah its deployed in the enterprise already)

It just plain does networking right, and when it crashes it recovers fast. None of the bsod stuff!

It is a little different how the networking stuff works, but IPV6 is in there, and the ability to bundle connections together for faster access is very cool. Try that on your mac.

As far as snow leopard, I think apple should have held that one back until it had some gee whiz features. As it is I think it's a sleeper. I dont know anyone rushing to upgrade. The folks I do know that have, had issues.

I may get it just to stay current however.