Microsoft's Danger SideKick data loss casts dark on cloud computing

Comments

• Reply 61 of 103
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NonVendorFan View Post

I heard blah, blah I'm getting ripped of by Apple &...

Nokia room. I don't frequent or even to my memory have never been in a Nokia forum.

Maybe another person an Apple Fan is supposed to hate.

Android in the mobile Market for the win.

MS in the rest of the world.

My perfect world. Just a few more months before my contract is up.

For those wishing to donate for my contract buyout donate to Google Voice.

Wait... I forgot it's Free and still banned.

Leave him alone guys.

He just never got any love as a kid and is just trying to be an attention whore. Theres many more like him on the internets and the mommies just can't be expected to babysit all of them.

As far as this Microsoft boondoggle goes, just glad it wasn't Apple. They really would have gotten crucified.
  • Reply 62 of 103
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mike fix View Post

what ever happened to redundancy?

best post i have read in yrs !!!
  • Reply 63 of 103
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

or not. Time to cough up the details.

Dave

she just did
  • Reply 64 of 103
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Cloud computing isn't the problem.

Microsoft is the problem.
  • Reply 65 of 103
    If you're going to troll, at least make it effective. If you have enough energy to come on these boards for the sole purpose of insulting people, at least find a couple of brain cells to rub to toegether and do it so that it actually makes you look clever, rather than someone with a permanent head injury.

Answers are in bold within the quoted material.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NonVendorFan View Post

You guys should know it more than anyone. Paying $99 a year for crap for 5 years of crap and misguided launches.

It's currently the best Cloud computing solution. Whatever happens, you've got a local copy of your iDisk on the desktop. I work entirely off the Cloud, and MobileMe has been indidpensable. And I'd rather pay for a service to ensure Apple keeps itself accountable to a higher standard of customer expectation, which it has.

Way to Kick it to Microsoft. Mobile Vista has been your savior along with stability and features that you pay for.

Microsoft is not Dead, as much as you wish.

Google 2010 is the future for phones.

We're waiting for the big Google Phone revolution. We keep hearing about it but never see it. Wake me up when they've ripped off enough features from the iPhone to make themselves viable.

Why would anyone here wish MS dead? Quite the contrary, they make Apple look that much better without Apple really having to do any work on their part. MS went merrily along and botched up Windows Mobile and Vista all by themselves. MS is their own worst enemy. Then they released those "Pink" phones and simply proved it.

Apple is going to survive on 3rd world countries with Free phones in 2011 and then ask Microsoft & Google for another Loan to pull them out of the fire.

Except this time Microsoft & Google have each other and don't have to worry about a 3rd rate company to keep the FTC happy.

Most of this is just trolling for the hell of it, since it has no basis in reality. I don't know what's more sad, a Windows troll (because their suffering is self-induced), or a Windows troll camping an Apple fansite.

Palm and Apple can fight for the bottom fish in the phone market.

In the computer Market Apple is screwed in 2 years when they don't have the legacy iPhone money to inflate their earnings numbers.

Apple is selling *more* Macs in a recession. Record Mac sales. What do iPhone numbers have to do with Mac sales? Apple has defined smartphone the market and keeps redefining it. I'd be much more worried about the comepetition. It's been over two years now and they still haven't gotten their act together. And Android is about to go down the Windows Mobile road - an OS that's supposed to work right on a multitude of devices. Good luck. Hopefully Google will at least be more competent than the idiots at MS in this area.

Why do you think they changed the way they report earnings? It doesn't take Einstein to figure it out.

Subscription accounting meant that Apple has been *under-reporting* iPhone earnings for two years. One of the factors that kept its share price from fully reflecting the success of one most profitable products Apple has ever made.

Apple wanted to offer iPhone users free software updates. According to a reading of certain accounting rules relating to the Sarbanes-Oxley Act, items that gain significant new functionality after the sale-due to a firmware update, for instance, can't have the revenue recorded at the time of sale. The revenue is reported over a certain period of time, called subscription accounting. Since Apple planned to potentially offer new features in software updates, it records revenue from the sale if iPhones over a period of two years-the length of a standard carrier contract.

Apple isn't the only company that has been lobbying to change this rule. Other companies like Microsoft and Xerox have also been pursuing the change.

That change also means that Apple could be free to offer major iPhone OS updates to iPod touch users completely free of charge.

• Reply 66 of 103
    Is this article actually right about the Apple MobileMe things and how your data would be ok as you have it stored locally?

I would have thought as it all Syncs though MobileMe, a loss of data on the MobileMe servers would mean as soon as your devices Sync with it again it would recognize the removal of data as a newer change and then remove it from your local copy. I've certainly had situations similar to this happen to me in the past when my Mac's lost all my contacts and then removed them from my iPhone and iPOD's the next time they synced.

Has to be said though anyone who completely relies on Cloud based services should be prepared to loose all the data they have on them.
  • Reply 67 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

Is this article actually right about the Apple MobileMe things and how your data would be ok as you have it stored locally?

I would have thought as it all Syncs though MobileMe, a loss of data on the MobileMe servers would mean as soon as your devices Sync with it again it would recognize the removal of data as a newer change and then remove it from your local copy. I've certainly had situations similar to this happen to me in the past when my Mac's lost all my contacts and then removed them from my iPhone and iPOD's the next time they synced.

Has to be said though anyone who completely relies on Cloud based services should be prepared to loose all the data they have on them.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3787

All answers are there.
  • Reply 68 of 103
    MS simply doesn't care, they're a reprehensible, borderline illegal company with deep pockets that "pays off" any potential problems using gag orders to keep their conduct secret.

Do a search and look at the dozens of suits that they've settled and they continue to make crappy products.
  • Reply 69 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

If you're going to troll, at least make it effective. If you have enough energy to come on these boards for the sole purpose of insulting people, at least find a couple of brain cells to rub to toegether and do it so that it actually makes you look clever, rather than someone with a permanent head injury.

Well said sir!!!
  • Reply 70 of 103
    The Chicago Tribune just ran a puff piece this morning on Microsoft's new $500 million data center in which Microsoft brags about how its run by only 42 employees, just 3 of them employed by Microsoft. I guess you can see where their priorities are.
  • Reply 71 of 103
    axualaxual Posts: 244member
    The issue here and the massive loss of data is not a technical one, it's a human failing. Complacency is the cause of this event. If Microsoft and others do not address the complacency issue, these losses will keep occurring.

Next up no doubt ... the Microsoft Windows Complacency Server.
  • Reply 72 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtdunham View Post

Other than insight into your psyche, your post contributed what, exactly, to the conversation?

Plus one!

urrr... nothing whatsoever! Except that I could never figure out why Ina dressed so odd during interviews. That is until I looked up his/her Wikipedia profile...

"Sheila was a MAN!!"
  • Reply 73 of 103
    Quote:

You hit the nail on the head, 99% of his comments have no fact and it is like a child screaming their guts out because the child can't have their own way.

Fact: Apple is successful

Opinion: Apple will continued to be successful, if the products continue to meet customer requirements and push innovation.
  • Reply 74 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StageIVsurvivor View Post

MS simply doesn't care, they're a reprehensible, borderline illegal company with deep pockets that "pays off" any potential problems using gag orders to keep their conduct secret.

Do a search and look at the dozens of suits that they've settled and they continue to make crappy products.

Exactly.

I doubt MS bought Danger to gain anything like Intellectual Property, market share or to remove a competitor. I'd bet they were after patents. Why innovate, or service customers for a measly return? Let Android handle that. Then hop on down to East Texas and make 'em share the wealth. When that happens it'd come across that Google somehow was trying to copy Microsoft 'innovation'. Most folks would never guess that Microsoft had bought 'last year's model' Android with paternal links to Google's.
  • Reply 75 of 103
    Quote:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3787

All answers are there.

Thanks, although that doesn't really answer it. Still seems that unless you manually set something up to back up all your data. The fact it is synced between your machine and the cloud rather than just existing on the cloud is irrelevant as if your data is deleted form the cloud when a sync happens it is likely just to delete it from you machine.
  • Reply 76 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by edelbrp View Post

In IT the costs for redundancy and back up has to be justified. … The problem isn't with technology or that things like 'clouds' aren't reliable yet. It's pure economics. Your data will always be worth more to you than to the corporation.

you're only too right. ms' decisions ignored the costs. data loss in computing is as sure as crashes on roads, but imagine if an accident on the interstate meant that everyone who just used that road, had to get a new car (or some other outrageous metaphor using mcdonalds). when you are a service industry (unlike ms' other/core business units) and a commodity one at that, your customers' satisfaction is your product and the cost must be justified.

i suddenly really like that the iphone is backed up easily and often w my computer which is also backed up easily and often.
  • Reply 77 of 103
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

Thanks, although that doesn't really answer it. Still seems that unless you manually set something up to back up all your data. The fact it is synced between your machine and the cloud rather than just existing on the cloud is irrelevant as if your data is deleted form the cloud when a sync happens it is likely just to delete it from you machine.

MobileMe has a configurable setting to prompt you when more that x% of the data is changed. If your sync prompts you that 100% of your (for example) calendar items have changed it's fairly easy to choose to not sync.

I deleted a bunch of bookmarks on my iPhone recently, when I checked the MobileMe sync at home that night I got the prompt that 40% of my bookmarks were going to change as the result of the sync operation. In this case it was intentional, so I hit Continue, but I could've just have easily said to not sync and disconnected my MobileMe sync to my iPhone until I got the issue sorted out.

FWIW, I also have Time Machine backups on my mini and MacBook that includes Mail, iCal, etc. so I can always restore something deleted from my Mac.
  • Reply 78 of 103
    What did MS do, overwrite the drives with zeros and ones seven times?

I doubt it, the message is your data isn't worth recovering.

DANGER, Microsoft working.

• Reply 79 of 103
    rco3rco3 Posts: 76member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

What ever happened to redundancy?

Thank you.

It was indescribably hard not to say the sa... wait! wait! AaarG! I CAN'T STOP IT....!

What ever happened to redundancy?
  • Reply 80 of 103
    "Danger, danger!"

"Warning, warning!"

Sorry. I just couldn't help myself.