Snow Leopard guest account bug deletes user data

Comments

• Reply 61 of 98
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmike View Post

Super Duper works well too. Been using it for years with great results.

I used to have problems with Time Machine before Snow Leopard but never lost any backed up data. I found that if you leave Time Machine alone and never mess with the image file it will perform great without problems.
  • Reply 62 of 98
    amdahlamdahl Posts: 100member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Nope. Drives were never formatted by Panther or Tiger. The drives were fine, it was the outdated chipsets used by the vendors who made the external cases.

They weren't formatted, just corrupted. It was a bug in 10.3/Panther. It was fixed. It did only affect certain chipsets. Obviously, the chipsets weren't 'outdated.' If you think otherwise, perhaps you can explain what constitutes an 'outdated' FireWire chipset?

Outdated

adj., orig 2009: Any device or software that used to work with Apple products, but no longer does due to an update or subsequent version of the Apple product.

Example in usage: "All of Steve's data was outdated by Snow Leopard, and now he is starting over."
  • Reply 63 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

There is an adage that says, that "perception is reality."

Perhaps this is not the case here. I have perused through the threads linked above, and by a quick account there are significantly more commentators attempting to replicate and/or help fix/guide the handful of unique users who have actually encountered the problem.

I find it is also interesting, that there are a number of commentators who keep repeatedly cropping up for other issues in the Apple Support Discussions.

Considering that nobody here has faced the issue with Snow Leopard, most of the action around the subject is just talk and much of that is 'helpful' attempts to fix the problem that nobody can really replicate.

How about an article on Cnet where apple acknowledges the problem.

Can you take your head out of the sand now?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31021_3-10...g=2547-1_3-0-5
  • Reply 64 of 98
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Happily running 10.5 and glad I didn't upgrade. No problem for me.
  • Reply 65 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NonVendorFan View Post

How about an article on Cnet where apple acknowledges the problem.

Can you take your head out of the sand now?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31021_3-10...g=2547-1_3-0-5

Did I say that there wasn't a problem?

I was challenging the implied and perceived enormity of the issue.

Which CNET confirmed. AHole.
  • Reply 66 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Did i say that there wasn't a problem?

I was challenging the implied and perceived enormity of the issue.

Which CNET confirmed AHole.

Baaah, Baaah.

I perceive a problem with your attitude. Am I Implying Anything.

Naaah.
  • Reply 67 of 98
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    I just let guests use my old Linux box or one of the many PC's I've got floating around, no-one else uses my MacBook.

There are four people in my household between us we have seven PC's, Windows, Linux and Mac.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by macslut View Post

There are security reasons why you should use the Guest account for family and friends.

I have people over to my house all the time. They may want to "just check email" or "get map directions" etc... If they're in my account, well, then they have access to everything...not good.

• Reply 68 of 98
    The one thing I don't understand about Apple and their upgrades.

Why do they only put it out to developers for bug testing?

Most developers live in a box and have an agenda of what they are looking for that has an impact on them personally.

Why not put it out for a public beta so it can be tested in the real world? It's not like a step upgrade is going to reveal any great secrets and Apple's developers would have real world input for all devices and user experiences.

Seriously, is there a logical reason?
  • Reply 69 of 98
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

Most developers live in a box and have an agenda of what they are looking for that has an impact on them personally.

Why not put it out for a public beta so it can be tested in the real world? It's not like a step upgrade is going to reveal any great secrets and Apple's developers would have real world input for all devices and user experiences.

Worked great for Vista, didn't it?
  • Reply 70 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Worked great for Vista, didn't it?

That's why Win 7 has been released to the public for the last 6 months. They learned their lesson.

Apple doesn't.
  • Reply 71 of 98
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

MS and Apple have different business models. The sooner you undrstand that the easier itball becomes. The logical reason is cost of supporting an open beta of an unstable update or OS release. Turning away people that have choisen to use your public beta is good customer support and still adds support costs.

Apple tries to make the betas safe, stable and functional before they release them. The develoer access is more about the developers making sure their apps can work by the time the OS or OS update goes live.

Note, once the beta is made live is when Apple starts monitoring the forums and support for issues to resolve in the next update. Exactly what you want them to do by releasing an unstable untested beta to their customers. No complex piece of software is bug free, and OS X is no exception. These issues are monitored and they become the foundation of the next update.
  • Reply 72 of 98
    Quote:

That's why Win 7 has been released to the public for the last 6 months. They learned their lesson.

Apple doesn't.

MS had to release Win7 to the world early to prove that it wasn't the piece of crap that Vista was when it was released. They had to drop the Vista name and they had to alter the look of Win7 enough to differentiate it from Vista even though they are essentially the same OS. By that point Vista was as every bit as stable as Win7, if not more so, but the damage was done.
  • Reply 73 of 98
    bucetabuceta Posts: 141member
    Hopefully data wiping only occurs if the guest is dumb enough to install MS Office for Mac.
  • Reply 74 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

MS had to release Win7 to the world early to prove that it wasn't the piece of crap that Vista was when if was released. They had to drop the Vista name and they had to alter the look of Win7 enough to differentiate it from Vista even though they are essentially the same OS. By that point Vista was as every bit as stable as Win7, if not more so, but the damage was done.

And because of the care given to Win 7 Intel Corporation is upgrading to the new OS.

And by new OS I don't mean snow kitty.
  • Reply 75 of 98
    Quote:

And because of the care given to Win 7 Intel Corporation is upgrading to the new OS.

And by new OS I don't mean snow kitty.

1) Intel wasn't going to switch to an all Mac setup, even of their were no bugs in Mac OS X. DIFFERENT BUSINESS MODELS!!!

2) Win7 isn't some major change, it's Vista (which had very stable before Win7 became a public beta) with a name and slight venear change.

3) That same care was given to Vista, before Win7, but the damage was done Vista would be forever tainted.

4) Why are you so fast to think that a cosumer focused OS that is sold to sell PCs is a failure because larg coprorations don't blindly adopt it? If you go with Mac OS X you will

ahve no choice but to buy the very specific and limited HW from Apple. By going with Windows you can have all those PC companies vying for your business Which gets you lower prices and many

more options than going with a single PC vendor. DIFFERENT BUSINESS MODELS!!!
  • Reply 76 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) Intel wasn't going to switch to an all Mac setup, even of their were no bugs in Mac OS X. DIFFERENT BUSINESS MODELS!!!

2) Win7 isn't some major change, it's Vista (which had very stable before Win7 became a public beta) with a name and slight venear change.

3) That same care was given to Vista, before Win7, but the damage was done Vista would be forever tainted.

4) Why are you so fast to think that a cosumer focused OS that is sold to sell PCs is a failure because larg coprorations don't blindly adopt it? If you go with Mac OS X you will

ahve no choice but to buy the very specific and limited HW from Apple. By going with Windows you can have all those PC companies vying for your business Which gets you lower prices and many

more options than going with a single PC vendor. DIFFERENT BUSINESS MODELS!!!

That's exactly why I'm a PC. I have choice! You couldn't have made my point better, even in one of your 2000 word postings.
  • Reply 77 of 98
    Quote:

That's exactly why I'm a PC. I have choice! You couldn't have made my point better, even in one of your 2000 word postings.

1) Macs are PCs now and always have been. They are also now Windows PCs

2) Mac and non-Mac PC users have the same choices you do.

3) I make points, you make indigent generalizations. Despite your feelings otherwise, short apoplectic statements don’t work when the issue isn’t black and white.

4) Perhaps you’ll finally understand what most of us have been telling you: One size does fit all. Each business model has its pros and cons. Maybe now you’ll put your rancour aside when someone has a different need that you.
  • Reply 78 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Indeed.

Given that there are a significant amount of people with the Time Capsule failure issue as well though it would certainly suck to be in the group that overlaps with this issue. The Time Capsule failure has eliminated my backups without warning, if I also had guest users enabled under Leopard (which I did at one point), I would be in the position of losing everything even though I would be following all Apple advice and using all their latest software and hardware.

Personally, I think this is just one more indication of how over-stretched Apple is right now and how they really need to beef up their QC efforts to match the beefed up sales they've been enjoying.

I liked it better when Apple was a small company that no one else I knew had heard of.

I agree on the QC part. Back in 2000 when I first experienced macs they were a lot more reliable than they seem to be today. I didn't own one until 2006, but by then it'd already begun, and I had to get my first mbp replaced. I've got an early time capsule too, that hasn't blown up yet thank god, but I've also decided to put off snow leopard for a while since my Tiger to Leopard experience was buggy in the first few months. I would've waited on the TC too, but I figured it was a back up device and It'd be reliable by definition. Wrong there, and now I'm wondering if it'll croak in warranty or not. I shouldn't have to think about that.

Apple is still ahead of Windows in reliability, innovation and ease of use, but I don't see them charging way ahead on anything other than the iPhone, and I think Windows 7 will bring some competition to OS X for sure.
  • Reply 79 of 98
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmike View Post

Super Duper works well too. Been using it for years with great results.

Used to use Super Duper, now use Carbon Copy onto a SATA disk with a partition for each computer I work with. Both work as advertised - no worries. And I also backup all work files, settings, etc. weekly to mobileme just in case there's a tsunami or whatever. Upgrading without backing up is not very wise.
  • Reply 80 of 98
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    I dont think the bug as reported could be true.

user logs in as guest.

Logs out.

Operating system asks if he wants to delete folder.

Ok, and it deletes.

At that stage the deletion code can have no rights to remove the default home folder. The process will be running as the user logged in.

Furthermore nobody has reported that is took a real long time to log out of their guest account - a sure sign of stuff being deleted from a larger account. It could take minutes, even up to half an hour, to delete a home dir. They dont do anything special with regards to API afaik, so they traverse the directory list, and delete filenodes.

However something then happens on login. It is possible that the existence of the guest user has somehow changed the user_ids elsewhere in the system. And that the user is logging into an account with a uid of (say) 502, not 501 - which would create a new home folder.

If anybody on these forums - which are large - sees this can you confirm anything like this.

That means the data could be there. Certainly recoverable in most cases.