Apple plans to open iTunes LP for independent labels

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 58
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by naman34 View Post

I'm just stating the obvious but this is obviously targetted to hit the HIGHLY RUMORED apple tablet. It starts with liner notes, lyrics and artwork to go with music albums. Then it goes on and adds a comic book.

Then they open it up to everyone.

Then it adds reading material to go with music. Long essays, and short stories make their way into LP's, still with accompanying music.

People suddenly want to carry it around with them and the laptop isn't the best way to do that.

BAM!

Apple introduces the spanking new tablet, and a new apple TV.

Everyone who has interest in these LP's start thinking of the device.

BOOM!

apple starts selling all out e-books and other interactive magazines etc.

BANG!

apple releases the tablet, and the sales are sky high!

I think the tablet will do everything that iphone can

BUT

it will have multi-tasking

it will be able to store files (some sort of finder)

it will have handwriting support and will work with a stylus.

and have a proper office suite.

fingers crossed for an ilife kind of suite. At least iphoto cmon.

Obviously it'll be the only device that runs all these new ebooks and interactive content.

Also it will not be a phone! but MAY have a sum slot for a 3g connection.

About apps, I think apple will let developers make apps for it as soon as its launched, so most iphone apps will be ported pretty quickly.

Gaming on the bigger yet still portable screen is going to be a big selling point. Also that alone is proof that it will run on some sort of ARM chip.

Obviously it'll be more powerful with better RAM and graphics, so it'll have even better games and apps!! Also there'll be a little more freedom with what kind of apps will be allowed. Background apps finally;

Then they launch the all new iphone with a tweaked look. that also supports background processes for apps. multitasking finally. and then these new apps start getting ported back to the iphone.

All pretty obvious!!

I hope you're right .... all of that would interest me.
  • Reply 42 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thirstyrobot View Post

The "album" is a broken business model for a reason. Most multi-song releases just aren't worth paying for as a package.

Well I would have to disagree, based on my purchase record. My purchases are almost entirely of the album variety. Of course, that's because that's where I find the most value. If you dig around you can find lots of albums, greatest hits, various artists, etc. that offer 20-50 songs for 9.95 (canadian). I've found a couple that were in excess of those numbers.
  • Reply 43 of 58
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Soon to be part of XCode. Like DashCode.
  • Reply 44 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You might want to lay off the herb pipe.

LOL... aw C'mon...

iTunes LP for music is the obvious first step.

But the concept/format (a downloadable, self-contained, local web site) applies to much more than that.

You want to install a garbage disposal, or tune up that '51 Chevy (15-36-24) or install a dropped ceiling in the basement, build bunk beds for the kids, learn brain surgery, brush up for that RN exam...

All you need to do is go to the iTunes Information Store and buy an interactive set of instructions (videos, audio, plans, diagrams), reasonably priced, and available on demand (anytime, anywhere).

Why will it work? Because the sellers can make money and the buyers can get the information they want!.

There's even a guy that has published an iTunes LP Comic Book (with music and video)!

And, yes you could do this on an iPhone or a Laptop, but a Tablet is a much better fit!

Ta-Dah!

• Reply 45 of 58
    Well, Shit Oh Dear....

There goes my business plan for making $10,000 iTunes LP albums in my retirement years!

...sigh! ... it was this close!

• Reply 46 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by naman34 View Post

I agree with bill gates when he says that tablets are going to be the next big thing.

Apologies to David Bromberg and Bill Gates!

He says cocaine's for horses, it's not for men, he says it's gonna kill me but he don't say when

I'm simply wild about my good cocaine.
  • Reply 47 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hypermark View Post

I would echo your conclusions here. It makes a lot of sense for Apple to have a format and tool

As such, I think this device will find a big market, with the larger question being whether it cannibalizes the notebook segment or not.

Mark

It will impact both, and the smartphone and the desktop too. We're entering an era where there will be billions of incidental [computer] content creators/consumers and millions of computer Pros, The Tablet will address the former!

• Reply 48 of 58
    [quote=spliff monkey;1498873

my final thought f____'n rad; we're moving ahead with some new ideas and this restores my faith in getting them done quickly and inexpensive enough to be profitable. Regarding digital only, yeah resell sucks but have you ever tried to resell a dvd or vhs let alone a merk with 6,000 miles on it. Resell sucks for everything. We're a world of consumers and every corporate strategy relies upon it.[/quote]

+++ qft
  • Reply 49 of 58
    [QUOTE=OneManCamera;1498893 And, finally, if Apple could guarantee online backups (for no additional cost) of all purchased Itunes content, I would be converted.

[/QUOTE]

Actually, I think that Apple can do this now, but they don't advertise the fact! I believe that Apple has a record of every purchase you've made through iTunes and could allow you to re-download any purchase for no additional charge (the way you can re-download iPhone apps).

• Reply 50 of 58
    But when will Apple put some real music up on iTunes?
  • Reply 51 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Actually, I think that Apple can do this now, but they don't advertise the fact! I believe that Apple has a record of every purchase you've made through iTunes and could allow you to re-download any purchase for no additional charge (the way you can re-download iPhone apps).

You're right about the purchase record but I don't recall ever seeing anything about their willingness to re-download our purchases, but I could be wrong.
  • Reply 52 of 58
    ckh1272ckh1272 Posts: 107member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdfetof View Post

But when will Apple put some real music up on iTunes?

Since you have crossed that subjective line and it's your first post, perhaps some enlightenment is in order.
  • Reply 53 of 58
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

You're right about the purchase record but I don't recall ever seeing anything about their willingness to re-download our purchases, but I could be wrong.

And you usually are.
  • Reply 54 of 58
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    1. until I see a signed contract from an apple rep to a label charging said fee, I don't believe it is real. folks screw up information all the time. Even folks from Apple

2. this is not a response to criticism at all. it was part of the game plan all along. Go watch the keynote, Steve Jobs clearly refers to the labels making these LPs themselves.
  • Reply 55 of 58
    I'm looking forward to this. It's great news.
  • Reply 56 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Akac View Post

Good thing though is iTunes LP is done via WebKit and open standards. So its not something that is like a digital format.

That is a plus, but who knows where these standards will be in 5 or 10 years? Paper has a history of thousands of years and it has never faced obsolescence due to a change in languages or inks.
  • Reply 57 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LE Studios View Post

Actually that's the part I like the most. No value but to the owner ONLY. That's what angry me the most when I purchased Xbox 360 limited Edition of their titles but a few months they ONLY worth but 10% of the original price. I decided go digital download all the way on everything. Trust me its better like this.

I'd prefer if there actually was a digitally encrypted (and uniformly adopted) way to resell digital content, even if it meant a small portion of that would be kicked back to the original vendor as part of some kind of extended licensing fee. I come from a position where actual ownership means something and has resale value. If everything digitized has equal value, then the real world value of that thing drops to zero because it's possible to make unlimited copies that are perfect. In that world, I'd want to be the person making the equipment (Apple) that enables the creation of the products for sale, and not the end product itself. Scarcity and demand are what drive price levels.
  • Reply 58 of 58
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That is what I never undrstood about all the crying. Everything is HTML, CSS and JS so anyon could have made their own that will open in any web browser without going through iTunes at all. Indy labels complaining that Apple wasnt controlling them enough through propritary setups.

Except that the agreement clearly states that you can only use the TuneKit APIs to develop content that will be exclusively distributed through the Apple iTunes Store.