Apple fights off hackers with new iPhone 3GS firmware

Comments

• Reply 141 of 175
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Which os why the comment is bullocks. I use tethering on my iPhone an rack up a solid 25GB/month without jailbreaking. I can't update to 3.1 or I lose that feature and will have to resort to jailbreaking and a complex tethering option. I'd gladly pay AT&T for the feature, but they say they can't offer it yet. Until then I'm forced to use alternative methods. I wonder how many are choosing not to update to 3.1 to retain thisbl feature.

Oh, you do it via tethering, so when you used your great usage pattern as an example of how data intensive the iPhone was you were actually fibbing a little...

Quote:

You?re wasting your time. He?ll never admit to being wrong or that his singular understanding of intensive can also refer to a duration.

PS: I assume that my usage pattern is more data intensive than the average person with about ~25GiB up and down for September bill cycle.

• Reply 142 of 175
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    Quote:

I?ve done it countless times before. Either things changed with SL (more likely) or my AirPort HW is buggered (less likey), but telling people that they shouldn?t use there machines the way they seem fit is just ignorant. Am I breaking an NDA or some other agreement changing my MAC Address? No, didn?t think so.

solipsism: the trick to changing your airport mac address under SL is to go to the 'radar' airport icon and select join other network. Now type in some random characters and hit join and then cancel. Use terminal to change your MAC address and then click on the 'radar' airport icon and join your network. Repeat to change it back or just reboot.
  • Reply 143 of 175
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tawilson View Post

Serves you right for messing around with your MAC address. This issue would go for any device you buggered up the MAC address on. Hardly Apple's problem.

Seriously, you down on him for tinkering with his Mac? It was asked before, rhetorically, how people would feel if they were instructed on how they were allowed to use their computers. Intentionally or not, I guess we have our answer.
  • Reply 144 of 175
    Holy crap! Man, & I thought the political scene was the hot-button of the day.

I think Apple & AT&T have every right to write up their own agreements that you have to sign. I also think they have every right to take whatever actions they so choose to require the end user live up to the agreement they signed.

I think every hacker has the right to ignore the rules & try to hack the iPhone so long as they can accept the consequences when they come.

I think every user that adheres to the rules has the right to be totally peeved at the hackers if their actions cause technical issues on the AT&T network.

I think EVERYONE has the right to be peeved at Apple & AT&T if they do not meet the level of service that they advertise!

I think I want my cake & I wanna eat it too!!!
  • Reply 145 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezekiahb View Post

I think I want my cake & I wanna eat it too!!!

Oh, so that's what freedom is!
  • Reply 146 of 175
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

This wouldn't be necessary if Apple ran an open platform and allowed people to install whatever they liked ON THEIR OWN HARDWARE..

Apple is not legally required at this time to open their platform. and like with their computers, they have a legit reason for keeping the box closed. it makes isolating and fixing problems brought on by apps a lot easier.

anyone that buys a phone knows the rules. they either play by them or they choose not to and deal when it bites them in the ass. But they are not heroes in my book and Apple should not be made to cater to them.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

There is no way for AT&T to determine if an Iphone is jailbroken or not and whether the app using bandwidth was purchase or not.

while this is true, they most certainly can tell how much data is going through your line and whether it is on par with the amounts used during tethering etc. and if the line is listed as an iphone it isn't a stretch to say that the phone was most likely JB'd.

it is because of this that I support data caps. so long as they are reset daily and of a level high enough that the average user will rarely to never hit it but those that are tethering, using things like slingbox etc in violation of the rules they know and pretended to agree to get cut off at some point. allowing the rest of us to have back bandwidth that will allow us to make our phone calls without connection failures and drops

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timon View Post

On the other hand AT&T as NOT properly designed their network so they could handle the traffic. To top it off AT&T ILLEGALLY steals money because everyone has to pay for 3G service even when you live in an area that does not have 3G service.

if you look at the terms and conditions I"m fairly sure you'll find a caveat that not all areas have 3g. and yes they do have a map

http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/

Now if you live in an area where they claim they have 3g but it sucks then go find a lawyer and file a class action suit. but hacking your phone is as invalid a way of dealing with the issue as Palm spoofing Apple's USB codes in violation of the licensing rules
  • Reply 147 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

You are not a "technical user". You are not a "technical" anything. What you are is someone who wants what they want, and doesn't care about being realistic, or even reasonable. You're also completely out of line describing "what jailbreaking is for". That's about as legitimate as saying P2P file sharing is for uploading your purchased CDs so that others can preview the music before purchasing it themselves. Thats hilarious. Maybe 2% will do that. The other 98% are there to steal and hog. So whatever necessary icon changing you may feel is your right, you've completely misunderstood what it means to have a device that you "own" and "may use as you wish."

I have no idea what your "argument" here is. It is completely lacking in logic. I am NOT unreasonable to expect to have the right to do whatever I want with the phone I bought. You can attack me but I have the law on my side. 98% of Jailbreakers do not pirate apps. Who's ass did you pull that figure out of? You don't know what you are talking about. But then sheep never do.. You're a moron who wants a sollution that doesn't require you to think Fine, you have one in the Iphone. How would allowing others to do MORE with it, change that? It wouldn't, but people like you don't care. You are the unreasonable one. You expect all of us to conform to what you want. I have my phone to be productive. I use programs like Intelliscreen-- which Apple didn't allow in the App store-- and Backgrounder-- which also wasn't allowed-- to get more out of my phone. I don't know what world you live in-- other than the licking Steve Job's balls world-- but I'm not living there. And as long as Apple continues this type of short-sighted behavior-- and as I said, they are perfectly welcome to do so-- I'll never buy another iPhone. But it's very bad business to drive away and alienate your best customers. And all you idiots that defend the behavior shows you know as little about business as you do about tech.
  • Reply 148 of 175
    [QUOTE=newbee;1499393]To paraphrase: "Contract, sure I signed a contract, but I don't AGREE with that contract so I should be able to break the legalities of that contract in any way I like"....... I don't know, Tulkas, from where I stand, your argument doesn't hold any water. [/QUOTE

We own the device, the device comes WITH the software, therefore THAT copy of software is ours. We bought it. WE can't sell it or reproduce it, but can modify it all we like for our personal use, regardless of what these apple apologists claim. You obviously don't know the law, and fair use law allows modification-- hell it even allows reproduction in some cases-- so your argument doesn't hold water. Companies can put whatever they want in their license agreements but that doesn't mean they are enforceable or even legal. It's not that difficult to understand people.
  • Reply 149 of 175
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amtwwg View Post

One, jailbreaking is NOT illegal.

actually under current US law, you are incorrect. Sim Unlocking and Jailbreaking are both forms of access control removal by law any knowledge or technology which removes access control is illegal to use or distribute.

I'm sure it won't stop anyone from doing it anymore than reminding folks that torrenting those DVDrips and cinema cams is piracy stops that from happening. but don't pretend that you are doing something noble. you aren't. what you are doing is breaking the law.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

That cancellation fee is largely to cover the cost of the subsidized phone.

what most folks don't realize is that it doesn't. it only recovers part of the cost. the retail on the phones is $499-699, early upgrade takes $200 off that, full upgrade takes another $200.

so I go and buy a 16gb iphone with my full upgrade. I pay $199 plus tax (ATT 'pays' the other 400).I keep the phone for 31 days and then cancel. I only pay them an ETF of $175. They are out $225 plus 23 months of service fees.

so yeah ATT is pissed.

Also Apple is likely under contract to do whatever they feasibly can to prevent unlocking and tethering hacks. so they are just doing what they agreed to do. it's not some personal attack
  • Reply 150 of 175
    If you don't like HOAs, live where there is not one.

If you don't like the iPhone EULA, buy an Openmoko.

But thinking Apple will change their EULA just because there is a community of hackers who can't really tell you what value is added to Apple by their hacking is a worthless activity.

Do you hold any patents or claim any copyrights as part of your work?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

The thing about 'common good' is it never seems to work well when imposed.

I am quite certain there are those that love the idea of HOA. I do not.

I try to live very concerned about how my decisions affect those around me. I like to think I am concerned about the 'common good' of my community, neighbourhood, etc. But, I also like to think I still have freedom of choice in my own home, within the law (it is unfortunate that I have to make this obvious qualification, but...), even if this freedom is only imagined.

• Reply 151 of 175
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Wrong:-

http://www.pinchmedia.com/blog/pirac...-from-360idev/

You can blame the 38% of measured users who have at least one pirated App on their jailbroken iPhone.

So why don't you lay blame where it is due, the 38% who mess it up for "legitimate" jailbreakers like you.

End of argument the jailbreakers lose unless they can guarantee that jailbroken iPhones cannot be used to install pirated Apps they have no leg to stand on.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by amtwwg View Post

98% of Jailbreakers do not pirate apps..

• Reply 152 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Wrong:-

http://www.pinchmedia.com/blog/pirac...-from-360idev/

You can blame the 38% of measured users who have at least one pirated App on their jailbroken iPhone.

So why don't you lay blame where it is due, the 38% who mess it up for "legitimate" jailbreakers like you.

End of argument the jailbreakers lose unless they can guarantee that jailbroken iPhones cannot be used to install pirated Apps they have no leg to stand on.

That still leaves 62% of non jailbreakers who are messing it up for everyone. Where is the guarantee from non-jailbreakers? Of course there is no such thing as getting a guarantee from anyone but it certainly does not end the argument.
  • Reply 153 of 175
    62% not showin up as it says in the report, part of the cracking process of Apps can also remove the tools used to report their use, it's certainly a long way from the 98% figure I was replying to.

Can you run pirated Apps on a non-jailbroken iPhone?

The issue is not the Jailbreakers who have good intentions it is those who ride in on their coattails, who are less ethical, who Apple has every right to block in order to protect App store developers IP.

End of argument, jailbreakers enable pirates.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bulk001 View Post

That still leaves 62% of non jailbreakers who are messing it up for everyone. Where is the guarantee from non-jailbreakers? Of course there is no such thing as getting a guarantee from anyone but it certainly does not end the argument.

• Reply 154 of 175
    Quote:

62% not showin up as it says in the report, part of the cracking process of Apps can also remove the tools used to report their use, it's certainly a long way from the 98% figure I was replying to.

Can you run pirated Apps on a non-jailbroken iPhone?

The issue is not the Jailbreakers who have good intentions it is those who ride in on their coattails, who are less ethical, who Apple has every right to block in order to protect App store developers IP.

End of argument, jailbreakers enable pirates.

Yes, you can load pirated apps on a non-jailbroken phone so just because you say it ends the argument does not make it so. If 38 % of piracy happens on jb phones then 62% must happen on non JB phones (type 100 minus 38 into a calculator and you will get 62 incase you don't understand the math). I absolutely agree that Apple should protect their IP and as I mentioned in an earlier post, Saurik works to prevent pirates promoting hacked apps using Cydia.
  • Reply 155 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

These jail breakers are the root cause for all of our network problems. Just 3% of the users account for 40% of the data traffic on the 3G network (according to a recent AT&T finding). I wonder who these users are?....maybe the jail breakers?!?!?!?!

They install illegal Apps (slingbox, etc) and illegally rob the bandwidth from the rest of us. I can't check my email because the guy next to me is watching hours worth of TV shows.

Heh, blaming hackers for ATT's incompetent 3G network is just great. :-) ATT = corporate greed.
  • Reply 156 of 175
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Off the top of your head can you think of restrictions not put in place by the government?

Legal restrictions are not the same as contractual restrictions. Now, thinking of the items in your home that you own outright, third parties are allowed to arbitrarily restrict your usage?

yes. when you purchase a property that is subject to caveats/covenants restricting the design/alteration of the property for various reasons, from heritage to just "it's how the developers want the area to look" imo, the iphone is exactly the same.

fwiw, i'm not against jb'ing (for purposes of customisation etc), but jb-ers should quit the whining when their hacks get broken, it's part of the endless cycle...
  • Reply 157 of 175
    If you took the time to read the link that has been posted twice, you would see that the 62 and 38%'s refers to 100% jailbroken phones.

More than a third of jailbroken iPhones were detected using pirated Apps, those that weren't detected are in the other 62% of jailbroken iPhones.

The number detected was over a million, that's over a million people using Apps which developers don't get paid for.

If you support jailbreaking then obviously, by extension you support pirates.

Like I said this Saurik guy may have the best intentions but jailbreaking opens the door for those with less ethics.

What would the result be if someone loaded a pirated App with a Trojan, such as a mass emailer, would the people who installed it even be aware apart from high data use.

If such a thing was to occur, where do you think the finger would be pointed?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bulk001 View Post

Yes, you can load pirated apps on a non-jailbroken phone so just because you say it ends the argument does not make it so. If 38 % of piracy happens on jb phones then 62% must happen on non JB phones (type 100 minus 38 into a calculator and you will get 62 incase you don't understand the math). I absolutely agree that Apple should protect their IP and as I mentioned in an earlier post, Saurik works to prevent pirates promoting hacked apps using Cydia.

• Reply 158 of 175
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

yes. when you purchase a property that is subject to caveats/covenants restricting the design/alteration of the property for various reasons, from heritage to just "it's how the developers want the area to look" imo, the iphone is exactly the same.

fwiw, i'm not against jb'ing (for purposes of customisation etc), but jb-ers should quit the whining when their hacks get broken, it's part of the endless cycle...

One could argue that HOA restrictions are similar, I suppose. A couple years ago, a lot of home owners were surprised that the covenants prohibited things like clotheslines anywhere outside of their houses. Many would consider this a reasonable enough restriction. As global warming has become more and more of a concern, the province took action to have those portions of the agreements removed or nullified.

Not all restrictions are good. Not all restriction will or should stand up to a challenge.
  • Reply 159 of 175
    Quote:

If you took the time to read the link that has been posted twice, you would see that the 62 and 38%'s refers to 100% jailbroken phones.

More than a third of jailbroken iPhones were detected using pirated Apps, those that weren't detected are in the other 62% of jailbroken iPhones.

The number detected was over a million, that's over a million people using Apps which developers don't get paid for.

If you support jailbreaking then obviously, by extension you support pirates.

Actually I posted the link originally so my bad. But if you actually read the article then you would have read:

"it?s worth pointing out that an individual who jailbreaks their phone is not necessarily an individual that steals applications." which is something that you seem to want to say across the board. In the other link I posted it says: "In other words, most jailbreakers don?t steal apps." So, only to you is it obvious but, clearly to the two different authors, JB does NOT support piracy. The only way to really do a comparison is if they track how many non JB phones have pirated apps on them. Till then it is not 'obvious'. BTW you work for ATT?

On a side note, one more reason to consider JB your phone - I actually have the Privacy app on my phone, that I believe the article is referring to, as it stops advertisers tracking my online usage which is something that Apple should provide but till this point hasn't.

I'll let you have the last word.
  • Reply 160 of 175
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    My cousin jailbroke his so he could put on a tone loud enough to here when he gets a text message. Apple lets you change ringtones, why not text and e-mail tones?