Barnes & Noble e-reader rumored to be merging of Kindle, iPhone

245

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 81
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,073member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post


    This is a non-issue. Back to topic: B&N in Canada?



    I don't konw, I live in Spain. But I buy ebooks at fictionwise
  • Reply 22 of 81
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post


    e-ink also is reflective, rather than emitive so it can be read in direct sunlight. A huge advantage, I think.



    Yeah, e-ink has it's advantages. I just think the whole "your eyes will get strained when reading from a screen versus paper" thing to be overblown.
  • Reply 23 of 81
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by milkmage View Post


    ... why should there be an actual study that says eink is better (less stressful) than LCD. Speaking from personal experience (and that's all I need to know) my eyes start to strain when I'm READING on an LCD. I can work four hours on the same screen and not experience strain.. it's something about reading for long periods. just because you don't have the same problem, doesn't mean a scientific study needs to be conducted. regardless of the findings, you still won't have a problem, and I will. E-ink is the better solution for my eyes (I don't care about yours)



    So ... we should all just go back to believing in magic then? What you experience is fact simply because you experience it?



    I've already probably talked about this too much, but yes ... I think rather than just take the common wisdom on the matter that someone should either prove reading from a screen causes eye-strain or people should stop saying it does.



    For that matter, who can even define "eye-strain"?



    Is it, as you argue above, merely a subjective experience of tiredness and nothing to do with biology, LCD screens, paper books or facts? In that case, everyone who ever got frustrated in a reading experience and gave up experienced "eye strain." Needles to say, the number of possible causes of that kind of eyestrain are limitless.



    You also missed my point a bit by couching this in terms of "you might not get it, but I do." I have got eyestrain from reading a computer screen. I have also got eyestrain from reading too many books or reading under poor lighting conditions. That still doesn't mean, imply or prove the common wisdom that "eyestrain" (whatever that is), is caused by reading off an LCD computer screen versus paper and that therefore computers are inherently bad for reading.
  • Reply 24 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post


    When other companies directly compete with apple by producing directly competing products, believe it or not, it effects apple and thus is apple news



    Apple does not (and probably will not) make a dedicated e-book reader. No direct competition. Apple also does not sell e-books. They may get into this business, but I doubt it.

    By your argument, the e-book reader will be competing with the entire MacBook line, as well as iPod Touch/iPhone. Apples and Oranges.



    My point is that this isn't Apple news. I rather hear about products and services APPLE is coming out with. There are plenty of sites out there, and this one should focus on Apple due in part to its name. Barnes and Noble dealings have nothing to do with the insides of Apple. If I want to hear everything at once, there are sites for that (Engadget, CNet, etc...)
  • Reply 25 of 81
    hattighattig Posts: 830member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post


    When other companies directly compete with apple by producing directly competing products, believe it or not, it effects apple and thus is apple news



    affects



    Also Apple has no product in this arena.
  • Reply 26 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post


    affects



    Also Apple has no product in this arena.







    Read entire article.



    And to camroidv27: there is an eBook reader app. that makes it an ereader product, albeit barely. Its about the same as calling the iPod touch a gaming machine. Threadbare argument, but one that Apple makes. But again, read the entire article, the end of which I even posted earlier in the thread. The tablet, not the touch, is the competitor.



    I wonder if people sit in coffee houses and talk about this pedantic crap when reading the New York Times.
  • Reply 27 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post




    People always trot out that nugget about "LCD eyestrain" also but I've never seen anyone quote an actual study on it nor ever heard of a proper scientific study being done. As an avid reader, an owner of tens of thousands of books and an avid device enthusiast that has used most pocket readers that have ever been on the market in North America, I don't personally believe it's anything more than a myth.



    Eyestrain is eyestrain, you get it if you use your eyes too much and as far as I have ever experienced, it's the same for paper as it is for LCD screens.



    I agree. I have Sony and Kindle e-ink readers and experience no less eye fatigue with them than with my iPod touch. If anything, I have less with the touch and am able to read considerably smaller font sizes due to its essentially perfect illumination. But I'm afraid we're not all equal in this department. My wife, who has excellent vision, has a real problem with LCD backlighting. After only a couple of hours her eyes become red and irritated, whereas I can--and often do--read all day on similar devices with little if any problem.
  • Reply 28 of 81
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spad View Post


    I agree. I have Sony and Kindle e-ink readers and experience no less eye fatigue with them than with my iPod touch. If anything, I have less with the touch and am able to read considerably smaller font sizes due to its essentially perfect illumination. But I'm afraid we're not all equal in this department. My wife, who has excellent vision, has a real problem with LCD backlighting. After only a couple of hours her eyes become red and irritated, whereas I can--and often do--read all day on similar devices with little if any problem.



    LCD eyestrain usually occurs when the LCD is is large and covered by a sheet of reflective glass, such as a 24 " iMac. That is why Apple is switching back to matte/ non glare hopefully on each of its devices.
  • Reply 29 of 81
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post


    LCD eyestrain usually occurs when the LCD is is large and covered by a sheet of glass, such as a 24 " iMac. That is why Apple is switching back to matte hopefully.



    Okay, I wasn't going to comment on this any more, but this is precisely what I was talking about.



    This is a total BS, made-up "factoid" about LCD eyestrain above. I see stuff like this all the time and most people just nod their heads.



    Why do people have such an aversion to facts and knowledge? What prompts someone to just make up crap like this and spew it out on the Internet as fact?



    It's so easy to just "say stuff."

    (and so hard to actually make sense and think about things apparently)

  • Reply 30 of 81
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,780member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post


    e-ink also is reflective, rather than emitive so it can be read in direct sunlight. A huge advantage, I think.



    And from my experience, it's difficult to read in lower light levels, and of course, impossible to read with the lights turned off, as could be the case when in bed, where your partner is trying to get some sleep.
  • Reply 31 of 81
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,780member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post


    Last I checked, this is AppleInsider. If I wanted to know what Barnes and Noble was doing, then I'd go to a site about them. I come here for Apple news. This is not Apple news. (Then again, with as much MS, Google, Amazon news that is posted here, I guess I'm mistaken about what this site is for.)



    Appleinsider is about news stories and articles about anything that affects Apple, its products, or its users.



    You don't think that stories about e-readers is relevant to us? It is. Many of us read using our iPhones or Touches. If Apple does come out with the rumored tablet, it will affect that as well.



    People here buy readers, and are interested in what the competition is doing.
  • Reply 32 of 81
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,780member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post


    But there is nothing it's competing against as Apple has yet to deliver.



    Yes it is. There has already been a study showing that more books are sold to iPhone and Touch users than to kindle users.



    I'd say that Apple has been in the game since OS ver 2.0 came out.
  • Reply 33 of 81
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,780member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post


    I don't complain about those news but I think that Apple doen't have any e-ink ebook reader, or any ebook reader.



    And no, iPhone doesn't count as a ebook reader.



    Very very wrong.
  • Reply 34 of 81
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,780member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by milkmage View Post


    eink doesn't use power unless it's redrawing the screen - LCD's always draw power, so when you're staring at eink for hours on end, you're using almost no juice, but LCD is a constant drain. constant drain is not as good a not using power.



    why should there be an actual study that says eink is better (less stressful) than LCD. Speaking from personal experience (and that's all I need to know) my eyes start to strain when I'm READING on an LCD. I can work four hours on the same screen and not experience strain.. it's something about reading for long periods. just because you don't have the same problem, doesn't mean a scientific study needs to be conducted. regardless of the findings, you still won't have a problem, and I will. E-ink is the better solution for my eyes (I don't care about yours)



    Under certain circumstances e-ink is better, and under others, LCD's or OLEDs will be better.



    Our eyes and brain doesn't know whether the light is reflected or emitted. It's all the same. What makes a difference is how bright it is, what the contrast is, the colors etc.



    I can set my most of my iPhone readers to emulate the exact look of the Kindle screen (which I've used). I don't like that look, too dim, with too little contrast, but it can be done.



    Proper studies should be done. If all readers can be adjusted properly, there should be no difference in eyestrain between the technologies.
  • Reply 35 of 81
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,780member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    Agreed. You can't read a book on an LCD or any modern display, besides e-ink.



    Wrong!



    Quote:

    Personally I think the perfect book reader display is colored e-ink with with the richness of OLED and a decent response time too. Which has yet to be invented.



    If possible, that would be best.
  • Reply 36 of 81
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,780member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post


    Apple does not (and probably will not) make a dedicated e-book reader. No direct competition. Apple also does not sell e-books. They may get into this business, but I doubt it.

    By your argument, the e-book reader will be competing with the entire MacBook line, as well as iPod Touch/iPhone. Apples and Oranges.



    My point is that this isn't Apple news. I rather hear about products and services APPLE is coming out with. There are plenty of sites out there, and this one should focus on Apple due in part to its name. Barnes and Noble dealings have nothing to do with the insides of Apple. If I want to hear everything at once, there are sites for that (Engadget, CNet, etc...)



    Apple won't sell a dedicated book reader, a product whose time may never come for the masses, unless they are given away for free, or little cost. But Apple will likely come out with a product that as an e-book reader is very good, likely much better than what's around now. Thoughts are that Apple's device will allow embedded video, music, motion graphs, and other advantages that other readers can't yet hope to compete with.



    And you're wrong about Apple not selling e-books. They sell thousands of them in the App Store. I've bought more than a few.
  • Reply 37 of 81
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,780member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post


    affects



    Also Apple has no product in this arena.



    Wrong!
  • Reply 38 of 81
    irelandireland Posts: 17,645member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    Wrong!



    It's not wrong if you care about your eye sight.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    If possible, that would be best.



    Ah, so I wasn't wrong - really.
  • Reply 39 of 81
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    Yes it is. There has already been a study showing that more books are sold to iPhone and Touch users than to kindle users.



    I'd say that Apple has been in the game since OS ver 2.0 came out.



    Well we're really talking a reading specific device. Laptops play music but are rthey competing against iPods and Zunes?

    I love readin books using BeamitDown and Kindle on the iPhone but wouldn't consider it a full fledge reading experience. For one thing you don't get a full page on the screen.
  • Reply 40 of 81
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,780member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post


    LCD eyestrain usually occurs when the LCD is is large and covered by a sheet of reflective glass, such as a 24 " iMac. That is why Apple is switching back to matte/ non glare hopefully on each of its devices.



    Oh please!



    most of us here use computers for hours at a time, with no eyestrain.



    If eyestrain is a problem, it's bot because of the screen, but because of the way the screen is used.



    If people put their monitors high up so that they have to look up constantly, that results in neck, back strain, and eyestrain.



    If a monitor is too bright, that can result in eyestrain.



    With all handheld e-ink screens, you don't have the placement problem (as you shouldn't with any small device). You also can't set the brightness too high, because the inferior brightness, due to the fact that it relies on ambient light, doesn't have the capability.



    There are far more negatives to current e-ink than positives.
Sign In or Register to comment.