Apple may not be Microsoft's biggest retail challenge

Comments

• Reply 21 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Upgrading from XP which is what is in almost 80% of all PC's, will be a real bear. few will upgrade to it because of that.

Why do you say these silly things?

Cos that's what he does best.
  • Reply 22 of 91
    axualaxual Posts: 244member
    MS is not competing with Apple retail stores ... and if they think they are, they are really out of touch.

They are competing directly with themselves along with Best Buy, Walmart, and more.

Mark my words ... this foray into retail by MS will fail miserably. Shareholders should ask hard questions about why MS, a software company, is opening a brick and mortar retail store to sell it's wares.

They should focus their attention on boot time, malware, reducing software patches and delivering an operating system which does not cause my mother to call me for support.
  • Reply 23 of 91
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

They don't have a "hit". Pre-sales were ok, but not gargantuan.

It's not even available yet.

Articles have been saying that sales of 7 will be fairly modest, and even Ballmer has stated that it won't help PC sales much.

Upgrading from XP which is what is in almost 80% of all PC's, will be a real bear. few will upgrade to it because of that.

Why do you say these silly things?

Well what do YOU want me to say -that it appears they have another flop like VIsta? I won't because - THEY DON"T!

And I said hit- not home run!

JEESH!
  • Reply 24 of 91
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Microsoft's biggest retail challenge is Microsoft.
  • Reply 25 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tawilson View Post

Cos that's what he does best.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I don't think being well reviewed by tech pundits as being what Vista should have been necessarily equals being "a hit."

Being a hit would require broad and rapid adoption, and that remains to be seen. I would guess all those low cost Walmart computers that drive Windows market share also act as a boat anchor when it comes to getting people to upgrade, since I would further guess that many of those users really don't give a shit about their OS, as long as it works OK-- that is to say, XP will continue to serve. That goes for a lot of business users, as well.

Now, it's unlikely that 7 is going to inspire the clamor for downgrades on new hardware that Vista did, so through the inevitable process of computer replacement 7 will make its way onto the desktops of America. But that's not really the same as being "a hit."

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

feeding the trolls is sooooo not helping...

I love it- you all are so upset the MS gets a great review for Windows!!! Hysterical!!
  • Reply 26 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

WOW- pure genius!

I thought it was Google.
  • Reply 27 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I love it- you all are so upset the MS gets a great review for Windows!!! Hysterical!!

stfu troll. and just to refresh your feeble memory, vista got good reviews too.
  • Reply 28 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

Amazing how hard Microsoft is trying to compete against a company with a mere 9% market share.

i know right? talk about insecurity issues no pun intended lol
  • Reply 29 of 91
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    When it comes down to the issue, all microsoft can do is copy everything apple does and fail at it miserably.
  • Reply 30 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beeman60 View Post

Microsoft cares nothing for it's partners. They were a means to an end.

True.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by axual View Post

MS is not competing with Apple retail stores ... and if they think they are, they are really out of touch.

They are competing directly with themselves along with Best Buy, Walmart, and more.

Reminds me of the Bad Old Days at General Motors, when GM had its own divisions and dealers in mortal competition with each-other.

'Tis amazing when a company starts a war with itself...
  • Reply 31 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cwfrederick View Post

stfu troll. and just to refresh your feeble memory, vista got good reviews too.

No it didn't. kmaimw
  • Reply 32 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hvance View Post

Besides, ms isn't cool and isn't going to be cool.

(Trying to ward off visions of goons in MSN butterfly suits, chasing down shoppers and dragging them into MS stores.)
  • Reply 33 of 91
    Quote:

No it didn't. kmaimw

yes, it did. and feel free to go away now. no one likes your FUD slinging.
  • Reply 34 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cwfrederick View Post

yes, it did. and feel free to go away now. no one likes your FUD slinging.

Then prove it-Walk the Walk. Provide a link. You sling BS.
  • Reply 35 of 91
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:

It will be interesting to see how the stores play out now that it appears they have a hit with Windows 7. Only time will tell.

i'm a windows user and i think it will be an utter failure. the design of the imacs is specifically made to make it easy to bring to an apple store for real technical support. what are the tech gurus going to do when people bring 5 different brands of computers and they can't do anything because they don't honor the warranties?
  • Reply 36 of 91
    Quote:

Keep trying to tell yourself you're in the big league, but you're still a super small player compared to Windows.

Yet Microsoft is obsessed with them.
  • Reply 37 of 91
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

It will be interesting to see how the stores play out now that it appears they have a hit with Windows 7. Only time will tell.

NEWSFLASH: This just in: TeckDud announces to the world that Windows7, which has yet to be released, has been decleared a winner! Imagine how good it'l do when it finally, you know, sells its first copy ... oh, I guess I shouldn't mention windows and copy in the same story, ... my bad.
  • Reply 38 of 91
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

Amazing how hard Microsoft is trying to compete against a company with a mere 9% market share.

With Apple taking over 90% of the $1000+ segment, getting more popular with the younger generation and taking over a 1/3 of all US PC revenue despite their low OS percentage it's natural that MS and their vendors are feeing a little threatened.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

HAHA nice!
  • Reply 39 of 91
    Quote:

Well what do YOU want me to say -that it appears they have another flop like VIsta? I won't because - THEY DON"T!

And I said hit- not home run!

JEESH!

TeckDud is backtracking already .... Jeesh, he's getting better at this with every post.
  • Reply 40 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dreadkid08 View Post

i know right? talk about insecurity issues no pun intended lol

Good one!!!