Apple's Snow Leopard bests Windows 7 in speed tests

Comments

• Reply 41 of 168
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

No, it thrives in spite of Apple Hardware. Also, there is no such thing as Apple hardware anymore, they died with the PowerPC. They design ways to cram other people's parts into pleasant looking forms.

Yea, I looked at a mac pro with the side panel open just the other day to see everything "crammed" in there.... Get real.
  • Reply 42 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

When both Mac OS X 10.6 and Windows 7 were tested on a MacBook Pro, Apple's new operating system clearly beat Microsoft in terms of speed, a new test has shown.

Both operating systems were tested on a 2008 MacBook Pro machine by CNet,?

"In time-based tests, Snow Leopard consistently outdid Windows 7," the study found. "It took only 36.4 seconds to boot up, while Windows took 42.7 seconds. In a shutdown test, Snow Leopard took only 6.6 seconds, while Windows needed twice the amount of time: 12.6 seconds?Finally, if money is not an issue--and it definitely is for most of us--you should get a Mac anyway. It's the only platform, for now, that can run both Windows and OS X."

See also:

Windows 7 vs. Mac OS X Snow Leopard

Exploring Windows 7 on the Mac

Inside Mac OS X Snow Leopard

In fairness and true journalism, the headline should have read, "Apple's Snow Leopard bests Windows 7 in speed tests running on a MacBook Pro."

Otherwise, this report was well written, not because one beat the other, but that the protocol was well designed and the author did not stray from the only results that could be stated because of it.

As for, "why didn't they run the comparison on of the two OS's on separate pc's and Macs?' well, this was done and reported, for example, as per the author's link to Mossberg's review:

"Speed: In my tests, on every machine, Windows 7 ran swiftly and with far fewer of the delays typical in running Vista. All the laptops I tested resumed from sleep quickly and properly, unlike in Vista. Start-up and restart times were also improved. I chose six Windows 7 laptops from different makers to compare with a new MacBook Pro laptop. The Mac still started and restarted faster than most of the Windows 7 PCs. But the speed gap has narrowed considerably, and one of the Lenovos beat the Mac in restart time." http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20091007...lp-you-forget/
  • Reply 43 of 168
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member
    What a waste of Bandwidth. I assume these tests were done in BootCamp for Windows, where there aren't even any official Windows7 drivers (and even the Vista ones are hugely out of date, last time I looked).

Snow Leopard may well be faster than Win7 (although I have my doubts outside of Apple specific applications... I mean, seriously, Quicktime encoding is well known to be slow at the best of times anyway,) but the CNET article doesn;t really prove that.

Check this out to see how Ubuntu outperforms OS X 10.6

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag..._leopard&num=2

OpenGL in SL (in fact in OS X generally) is terrible (mainly thanks to sucky drivers).

Again here

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag..._leopard&num=3

When using a NEUTRAL application (LAME), OS X brings upthe rear... again...

Actually OS X generally doesn't do well in benchmarks, so Apple fans are better off not banding them around, IMO.
  • Reply 44 of 168
    povilaspovilas Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

What a waste of Bandwidth. I assume these tests were done in BootCamp for Windows, where there aren't even any official Windows7 drivers (and even the Vista ones are hugely out of date, last time I looked).

Snow Leopard may well be faster than Win7 (although I have my doubts outside of Apple specific applications... I mean, seriously, Quicktime encoding is well known to be slow at the best of times anyway,) but the CNET article doesn;t really prove that.

Check this out to see how Ubuntu outperforms OS X 10.6

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag..._leopard&num=2

OpenGL in SL (in fact in OS X generally) is terrible (mainly thanks to sucky drivers).

Again here

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag..._leopard&num=3

When using a NEUTRAL application (LAME), OS X brings upthe rear... again...

Actually OS X generally doesn't do well in benchmarks, so Apple fans are better off not banding them around, IMO.

Also looks like BS Binaries in phoronix suite are not optimazed for OS X. This test is as biased as CNET's.
  • Reply 45 of 168
    But the real question is which seems snappier?
  • Reply 46 of 168
    Not sure which is more lame...this so called test or the balloon boy story.
  • Reply 47 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hutcho View Post

You have a PC with exactly the same specs for as your Mac? Unlikely.

What would be more fair is getting a PC running Windows 7 for $2000, and a Mac running OSX 10.6 for $2000 and see which is faster. The Windows machine would win convincingly.

Has it ever been tried? Create a PC with high end, high price components that would cause that PC to be $2000.00? Can PC's plastic case handle the heat??
  • Reply 48 of 168
    bucetabuceta Posts: 141member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Asherian View Post

This really doesn't make any sense at all.

Windows Update will update all MS software on a Windows computer, Software Update will update all Apple software on a Mac. Just claiming that the Mac's software update is significantly different than Windows goes to show how very little experience you have with the platform, and not in a position to judge.

As for "proven windows" applications running faster on Mac than PC -- which ones would those be? None of those on the list are really examples of Windows Native apps. Just more nonsense...

Windows Update updates windows only. Software Update on the Mac updates all Apple software. The problem really starts, however, when you realize that in order to do serious work in Windows you need a vast array of 3rd party little software to do things like virus, malware, defrag, memory defrag, clearing of cashes, mail, calendar, contacts, a descent web browser, etc, etc.
  • Reply 49 of 168
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Can PC's plastic case handle the heat??

PC's plastic cases?

I asure you that a $2.000 PC runs cooler an quieter than any $2.000 Mac
  • Reply 50 of 168
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by buceta View Post

Windows Update updates windows only. Software Update on the Mac updates all Apple software

False, Windows Update updates Microsoft software, including Office, Live and so on.

Memory cleaner? Disk defrag? Are you talking about Windows 98?
  • Reply 51 of 168
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chachi View Post

Not sure which is more lame...this so called test or the balloon boy story.

This should be the lead on the national news, too.
  • Reply 52 of 168
    Retraction
  • Reply 53 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

False, Windows Update updates Microsoft software, including Office, Live and so on.

Memory cleaner? Disk defrag? Are you talking about Windows 98?

Vista and 7 use NTFS and NTFS has to be defragmented, so in Vista and 7 there is a service which does the defragmenting once in a while. HFS+ does not require defragmenting because of it's nature.
  • Reply 54 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

But the real question is which seems snappier?

You're absolutely right, and that's subjective and will vary from person to person.

The key thing for me in an OS is stability when running multiple apps. To be honest, it doesn't matter if iTunes takes longer to encode a CD on a PC or a Mac to me, since as soon as something takes more than a few seconds, I'll open up something else to keep me amused whilst it's doing it's thing, then it really doesn't matter to me how long it takes.
  • Reply 55 of 168
    Quote:

What speed processor and running what? Your blanket statement means nothing. Of course, in apps that don't take advantage of multicore processors, then a 3ghz Dual Core is going to be much faster than a 2.4ghz Quad Core. But when the program does, the Quad Core is going to kill the Dual Core (in CPU intensive tasks).

mac: macbook pro early 2009 (core 2 duo) - 2.0 ghz - 2 gb ram

pc: core 2 quad - 2.4 intel - 4 gb ram

applications?

mac: mail, open office, ie, ff, vnc viewer, virtual box

pc: thunderbird, open office, ie, ff, vnc viewer, virtual pc
  • Reply 56 of 168
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by buceta View Post

Windows Update updates windows only. Software Update on the Mac updates all Apple software. The problem really starts, however, when you realize that in order to do serious work in Windows you need a vast array of 3rd party little software to do things like virus, malware, defrag, memory defrag, clearing of cashes, mail, calendar, contacts, a descent web browser, etc, etc.

1) Windows Update updates Windows, Office, other Microsoft programs, AND hardware device drivers -- just like Software Update and respective Apple software. So what's your problem?

2) Disk Defrag is built into Windows. Memory defrag? WTF? Mail and Contacts are built-in with Windows. IE8 is a sucky browser for power users, but it works just fine for everyday users. My parents use it just fine (they're 59 and 60). Malware detection is present natively in Windows 7 with Windows Defender.

I'll spot you the antivirus, but Microsoft provides their AV software for free:

http://www.microsoft.com/security_Essentials/

Don't quit your day job
  • Reply 57 of 168
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:

You have a PC with exactly the same specs for as your Mac? Unlikely.

What would be more fair is getting a PC running Windows 7 for $2000, and a Mac running OSX 10.6 for $2000 and see which is faster. The Windows machine would win convincingly.

That would depend on how you configured the PC.

Regardless, the only speed test I care about is me. I can get my work done quicker on a Mac than on a PC - I couldn't care less about individual tests that make up none or only a small part of my work day.
  • Reply 58 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by suckerpunch86 View Post

what would the results be if Apple delivered Windows-7 optimized and compatible drivers?

And which drivers are you referring to that would affect these speed tests. Who cares if Apple has a flaky mic driver if none of the speed tests involve recording audio?
  • Reply 59 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

1)

I'll spot you the antivirus, but Microsoft provides their AV software for free:

Which eats CPU cycles.
  • Reply 60 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I tried click2flash for 1 week and couldn't stand the way my web pages looked- like something out of George Orwell's "1984". It looked like I was banned from viewing 15% of the web. I un-installed it last night. I hate to impose censorship just because Apple and Adobe can't solve the problem. I'm not running any other Apps (usually) when I surf at nioght anyway. But I'm glad you can tolerate the look of censorship.

"The look of censorship" Ha ha! Give us a break! Flash wastes RAM and CPU and ClickToFlash is the best way to solve that problem.

Your opinion that it "looks like censorship" is irrelevant and it's simply your opinion. The rest of us are able to tell what real censorship looks like so ClickToFlash is not a problem.