RIM takes another shot at iPhone, touchscreen with Storm2

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iansilv View Post

Apple can just sit there, and not make it better!

Maybe Apple can. But Jobs can't.
  • Reply 82 of 95
    Quote:

Apple needs to be inspired to add and develop new features

looking at each yearly release of the iphone, i would say that they don't necessarily need much inspiration at all.

Quote:

But my point is that if they just continue to kick the shit out of every other phone out there without any effort, then they may not put as much in to making it as good as they are able to, just as good as it needs to be to stay ahead of the curve.

key word being "may." until there is any indication of slacking on apple's part, it's just pure speculation

that being said, competition would still be welcome.
  • Reply 83 of 95
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cleeg View Post

I have a friend in the Air National Guard who has to use the Blackberry for official business, but got an iPhone a few months ago for personal use and loves it. Why can't the iPhone be secured like the Blackberry?

They built the os from the ground up on blackberries to be secure that is it's major selling point and has always been for enterprise users. What RIM lacks consumer wise it has in the enterprise sector. The Storm isn't a bad phone, I used to own one before I switched to the Bold the refreshed OS was needed big time but RIM is being extremely stingy with UI elements and APIs as well as not utilizing the hardware to optimum potential (they don't use grapics accelleration at all)

Still the S2 is a small improvement but RIM needs to focus on their OS. a new webkit browser is on the way, iTunes sucks and is grossly bloated but they support it and they have good playback capabilities.

As for App World I think they are doing the right thing with their pricing structure but they need to make it easier to dev apps on BB cause java takes too much work just to make it decent and this is where apple has a huge advantage
  • Reply 84 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

The original Newton was a bust, especially the handwriting recognition. When Apple fixed the Newton they didn't change the name. I dunno, maybe they should have.

Now that was a device well ahead of its time.

I believe they DID. It's called the iPhone
  • Reply 85 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

No apps

No iPod

No Music store

FAIL!

The Blackberry can actually do all those. Not as many apps as the iphone. In any case its hard to call anything RIM does a failure seeing they still hold the #1 spot in smart phones and hold 4 spots in the top 6, including the #1 spot. Not to mention the verizon network blows away ATT.

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/hiner/?p=2357
  • Reply 86 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

You're probably right but let's face it, a POS phone that's unlocked is still a POS!

Then again the best phone in the world isn't much on a POS network. That is why RIM is still beating the iPhone.
  • Reply 87 of 95
    iansilviansilv Posts: 283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

I understand the 'competition makes the world go round' meme, but I never get the sense of despair I feel from some. Its not exactly like Apple's standing still. Without any serious competition, they've lapped the field.

Is the concern that they're going to pull a 'rabbit and the hare' out of the bag and sit on their laurels?

Yes! Why, yes actually- I wan them to make like 10 devices in the next year that are as ground breaking as the iPhone! I mean, who would not want that!

And I am really excited about the tablet whatever thing.
  • Reply 88 of 95
    Does the iPhone have a removable battery?
  • Reply 89 of 95
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Right now, if you need an unlocked phone, that puts Nokia, Android, and WinMo far ahead of both Apple and RIM.

I have an iPhone for personal use and a WinMo for work. Trust me, NOTHING could put a WinMo phone ahead of the iPhone, not even the ability to get it unlocked.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Then again the best phone in the world isn't much on a POS network. That is why RIM is still beating the iPhone.

As long as BB users don't realize there are mobile browsers light years ahead of what RIM gives them, that will continue. How long do you suppose RIM can keep that genie in the bottle?
  • Reply 90 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Morky View Post

Agreed, I tried it, too - it was horrendous. The claim is that this is now much improved, as they have increased the number of sensors behind the screen (there was just one big button behind the screen in Storm 1). While I have no interest in buying one, I would like to try one to see if they actually made it work.

But even if it does, so? People didn't ignore the Storm because of the screen. They ignored it because it was trying to be an iPhone without having any useful features. THAT problem they didn't fix, yet.

Maury
  • Reply 91 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

I have an iPhone for personal use and a WinMo for work. Trust me, NOTHING could put a WinMo phone ahead of the iPhone, not even the ability to get it unlocked.

As long as BB users don't realize there are mobile browsers light years ahead of what RIM gives them, that will continue. How long do you suppose RIM can keep that genie in the bottle?

They have been doing a damn good job so far. RIM holds four of the top six smartphone spots. I don't see that changing anytime soon for many reasons. Verizon is by far the best network and they clearly have no interest in the iPhone. RIM email delivery system blows away anything ATT has. Review after review rates ATT 3G network the slowest. The moblie browser on the iphone is hardly light years ahead of anything.

The latest Verizon ad hits the iPhone pretty well on all its key weaknesses.
  • Reply 92 of 95
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

The latest Verizon ad hits the iPhone pretty well on all its key weaknesses.

Does Verizon still disable the data connection during a voice call? I guess using your cell phone as, well, a phone doesn't qualify as a simultaneous app?
  • Reply 93 of 95
    Quote:

Does Verizon still disable the data connection during a voice call? I guess using your cell phone as, well, a phone doesn't qualify as a simultaneous app?

Not sure when or if they did but they don't now.
  • Reply 94 of 95
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Quote:

Not sure when or if they did but they don't now.

As far as I can tell Verizon only supports EV-DO Rev. A, which doesn?t support simultaneous voice and data. EV-DO Rev. B can, but as far I can tell Verizon doesn?t support it and won?y get that feature until LTE.

Some info from 2006 that maybe helpful?