Verizon's iPhone targeting Motorola Droid phone revealed

Comments

• Reply 41 of 135
    Well said my friend. Well said. I totally agree.
  • Reply 42 of 135
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by erac3rx View Post

As it is Verizon's tired story of "awesome network, crappy phones" will just continue to be true. Or at the very least become "awesome network, better phones than before but not the best/most appealing phone on the market."

In my own personal experience (just switched from Verizon this past February), it would read more like, "good network, crappy phones". For me, Verizon's coverage is no better in my area than AT&T's. Actually, AT&T's 3G coverage in my immediate area is much better than V's. It's pretty much a toss-up. I'm sure others have had different experiences, however.
  • Reply 43 of 135
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    As Veronica Belmont said: "I am whelmed. Not over whelmed, not under whelmed. Just whelmed."

This phone is no different then many other Android phones, maybe a larger screen, but that's pretty much it.

BTW what's up with that ugly gold directional area on the right of the keyboard. Talk about out of place color...

This will become what Palm Pre became for Sprint.
  • Reply 44 of 135
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    Stop, stop, stop. Verizon, this is an ugly phone - stop putting this sort of crap on the market. You're just making it worse. I wish these companies would start putting out better phones to challenge Apple to design even better devices.
  • Reply 45 of 135
    tsatsa Posts: 129member
    I'd rather have a phone that has no Apple or Google all over it. That's why I will buy the Nokia N900 when it will be out later this month.
  • Reply 46 of 135
    Wasn't it a "phone guy" that said that "PC guys are not going to just figure this out. They're not going to just walk in." Yet Apple did just "walk in" and changed the playing field with regards to smartphone handset designs, OS capabilities and lifestyle integration.

I wonder if Apple ran into the same criticisms over at Motorola? I remember at the keynote back in 2005 where Steve Jobs glossed over the Motorola "ROKR" phone introduction as an almost afterthought because it contained none of Steve's visionary greatness and yet was associated with Apple in some small way that it had to be spoken of. Instead, iTunes 5 and the iPod Nano were the ONLY talking points.

So can we assume that this phone coming from Motorola should be called "ROKR - What We Would Have Introduced back in 2005 Had We Listened To Steve Jobs and Apple!"?

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/new...ne-introduced/
  • Reply 47 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Never used the iPhone's touch keyboard....

..... " and yet, I'll wax eloquent about Apple fanboys."

That says it all!
  • Reply 48 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by niji View Post

verry moto-esque design

verry 2000.

My thoughts exactly!
  • Reply 49 of 135
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    HAHAHAHA! Really? That is it?! Wow. what a pos
  • Reply 50 of 135
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

In my own personal experience (just switched from Verizon this past February), it would read more like, "good network, crappy phones". For me, Verizon's coverage is no better in my area than AT&T's. Actually, AT&T's 3G coverage in my immediate area is much better than V's. It's pretty much a toss-up. I'm sure others have had different experiences, however.

I agree with your assessment of Verizon. I switched from Verizon in July and I'm much better off for it.

It's the iPhone that ties your Mac life all together. If you're a Mac user it's a no-brainer.

Especially now here in the NorthEast in that AT&T has improved their coverage this summer. I think the 3GS carries the signal better myself from what I've heard from 3G users' complaints.
  • Reply 51 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

iDon't support concurrent web access and voice calls.

iDon't support international network standards (like GSM).

iDon't have over 85,000 APPs (at least not yet).

iDo want complete control of all hardware and Apps on your smart phones.

iWill disable features that do not benefit my bottom line.

iWIll nickel and dime you for everything.

iWill bash the other guys..until my network fails under the same pressure when it is finally tested.

• Reply 52 of 135
    There's a sap for that.
  • Reply 53 of 135
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I think the 3GS carries the signal better myself from what I've heard from 3G users' complaints.

I have a 3G and it seems to do perfectly fine with coverage. Is the 3GS supposed to be better?
  • Reply 54 of 135
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I agree. It will appeal to (male) teens and geeks (who are mostly male). I don't see women -- at least 50% of the population -- walking around with a 'Droid' in their purse. And, people can say what they want, but sales to that target segment matter.

Good point. My guess just looking around is that iPhone ownership is about 50/50 male to female. I originally thought that women would not like the iPhone since typing with long fingernails might be a problem, but they don't seem to mind the capacitive touch system after all. The girls I know that have them rave about it.
  • Reply 55 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Never used the iPhone's touch keyboard, but the touch keyboard on my phone (an LG) sucks tremendously. Sort of doubt that an iPhone would be much different. If I'm not typing something really short, I'll switch to the internal keyboard where I can type extremely fast.

Comparing the onscreen keyboard on your LG (probably a Vu) to that of the iPhone's is like comparing a steaming pile of poop to a Porsche. First of all, they don't even have the same type of touchscreen. The LG can't compare with the iPhone's predictive text and special characters input. On my iPhone, I can type at least twice as fast as I can on any other phone I've tried, and I demo and sell a lot of phones from multiple carriers.

All I'm saying is, comparing your LG's onscreen keyboard to the iPhone's = biblical fail.
  • Reply 56 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Good point. My guess just looking around is that iPhone ownership is about 50/50 male to female. I originally thought that women would not like the iPhone since typing with long fingernails might be a problem, but they don't seem to mind the capacitive touch system after all. The girls I know that have them rave about it.

Good point, buy your girlfriend an iPhone and she'll have to cut her nails, and you won't have to explain those scratches on your back to your wife.
  • Reply 57 of 135
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

I was actually excited to see the phone. Then they dropped a FUGLY keyboard on it. Poor, poor Verizon. They just haven't got it yet.

Yeah , I'll stick with RIM. Verizon may have an awesome network (that I use) but that thing is going to scare people away.
  • Reply 58 of 135
    wants to Microsoft Apple. they are in the position to do exactly that, since they are going to be on various handsets
  • Reply 59 of 135
    So this new Verizon phone is absolutely ugly, and a physical keyboard? aren't we in the 21st century here? didn't Steve Jobs already show the world digital keyboards are superior? Anyway, good luck to Verizon and that horrible piece of trash they're about to launch. I don't know about you guys, but if there were no iPhone the next best thing would be Palms WebOS pre phone. I mean, its thanks to apple why they even were able to put together the pre phone anywho.
  • Reply 60 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Dude get off it. To some people this would be hands down an iphone killer, to others hands down NOT a killer. It's all opinionated.

It's like telling someone with a size 12 foot that size 9 is the best! It's only the best for the people it fits.

It's all opinion.

My opinion is this phone is nothing special.

It's not about concerning your opinion, or mine, for that matter.

Rather, why is it that when "phones" like these are introduced they are thought of and in some case reported as an "iPhone Killer"?

Probably because Apple's announcement to the smart phone business was met with ridicule by another smartphone maker's CEO, PALM's Ed Colligan, who said "PC guys are not going to just figure this out. They're not going to just walk in." Well they did and then Ed Colingan proceeds to woo PC guys from Apple over to PALM to create a challenger product!

Probably because another computer software CEO, Steve Ballmer of Microsoft, belittled the iPhone in price and lack of physical keyboard and then MS went into overdrive with PINK, to create their own iPhone competitor because even though Ballmer said he was satisfied with Win Mobile OS and was satisfied with the path on which the company was taking and with the market share they had, but in reality, he wasn't. He was running scared!

Probably because Apple's product when introduced had blockbuster lines and satirical cartoons of Steve Job's as the Second Coming... I never saw as such, any characterization of the other guys, like Palm's CEO Ed Colligan or even Google's Android OS! Yeah it's new, but, it falls under the category of "a day late and a dollar short"...

So you see our opinion has little effect with the star status symbol of iPhone, but rather it was the actions, not necessarily the opinions, of the competition that created the whole iPhone concept when they too decided life was not worth living if they did not have an iPhone-"killer" competing product!