Verizon's iPhone targeting Motorola Droid phone revealed

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
After the hardware was teased in a new advertisement over the weekend, purported shots and details of the Android-powered Motorola Droid have surfaced, giving insight into the device Verizon hopes to pit against Apple's iPhone.

The handset runs the new Android 2.0 operating system and was co-developed by Google and Motorola, according to The Boy Genius Report. With a hands-on look at the hardware, the site calls the handset "the most impressive phone we've used since the iPhone."

"It's the Android device to beat, and easily the most impressive," the report said. "From what we've been told, Google had a direct hand in the Motorola Droid. Something to the point of almost dictating every move Motorola made with designing and making the phone."

The hardware is said to be slightly thicker than an iPhone 3GS with a slide-out physical keyboard, and internally the phone sports a reportedly speedy TI OMAP3430 processor. The hardware keyboard has a rubberized finish but allegedly is not finalized.

The handset also comes with a charging cradle that turns the phone into a multimedia station, displaying weather, time and other information.

The forthcoming Android 2.0 mobile operating system reportedly includes a new Maps application, an improved browser, and native support for both Exchange and Facebook. It has not yet been officially announced.

In an advertisement that debuted over the weekend, Verizon and Motorola targeted the iPhone with a TV spot teasing the new hardware. With a style and accompanying song set to parody Apple's own ads, the commercial ran a list of things the iPhone cannot do, with the tag "iDon't."

The advertisement attacks the iPhone's lack of a physical keyboard, inability to multitask with third-party applications, and absence of a camera flash, before teasing the Droid's November debut and directing viewers to the Web site droiddoes.com.

Verizon's marketing has turned its attention toward the iPhone in recent weeks. Another advertisement compares the 3G coverage of their network to AT&T, the exclusive carrier of the iPhone in the U.S. The TV spot lampoons Apple's famous "there's an app for that" advertisements by declaring "there's a map for that," comparing the two companies' service.

Earlier this month, Google and Verizon announced that two Android-powered phones would debut soon on the carrier's network. All Android-powered Verizon handsets will allow the Google Voice service and support open development. It's a change for the nation's largest wireless carrier, which has traditionally kept tight controls on its network.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 135
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I was actually excited to see the phone. Then they dropped a FUGLY keyboard on it. Poor, poor Verizon. They just haven't got it yet.
  • Reply 2 of 135
    roos24roos24 Posts: 170member
    Before everybody starts to praise the physical keyboard and how this is missing on the iPhone, here a thought.

Every country overseas requires a different keyboard (e.g. Germany has the QWERTZ instead of QWERTY keyboard and the ä, ö and ü), France requires a different keyboard, all Scandinavian countries etc., etc, and not to forget the Asian countries. The Pre, and now the Droid will have to be produced with different keyboards if they want to sell them overseas. Translation: more expensive.

Apple uses software to accommodate all languages. I think that is very smart. Moreover, typing on it with Apple's character recognition system is really easy and fast.

Also, every key is another small little component that can fail.

I prefer Apple's approach.
  • Reply 3 of 135
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Two and a half years (three if you include the original iPhone announcement) for the industry to catch up (and possibly overtake) the iPhone. That's not bad, but it has taken a dictatorial Apple-esque approach from Google to do this. Maybe they should merge and become MOTOOGLE? GOOROLA!

The hardware keyboard isn't a major win as Apple's soft-keyboard is so good - apart from not taking over the screen that is. C'mon Apple, let us use Bluetooth keyboards, maybe even create a portable keyboard dock...

Background apps is a major win, especially for streaming apps. Apple seems to be coding these in separately, if the Radio rumour is correct. Maybe Apple will eventually come up with a stable background API for certain classes of application, where they have to provide a pop-up UI like the pop-up background iPod UI for music control when you're in Safari, etc.
  • Reply 4 of 135
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Looks pretty fug, but I care more about what it can do. I wouldn't mind trying one out.
  • Reply 5 of 135
    "Genesis does. Nintendon't."
  • Reply 6 of 135
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Looks more like a "PRE-Killer" than an "iPhone-Killer"!
  • Reply 7 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wil Maneker View Post

IIRC, the Super NES came out shortly after these ads, and it absolutely creamed the Genesis. I wonder if that's foreshadowing near future of the Droid / iPhone.
  • Reply 8 of 135
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    What's so different about this phone and all the other similar phones out there, EPIC FAIL!
  • Reply 9 of 135
    If this is "The Android device to beat", seems like all other Android phones need to re-focus and not target Apple; they'll have a tough enough time getting a share of their own niche.
  • Reply 10 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roos24 View Post

Before everybody starts to praise the physical keyboard and how this is missing on the iPhone, here a thought.

Every country overseas requires a different keyboard (e.g. Germany has the QWERTZ instead of QWERTY keyboard and the ä, ö and ü), France requires a different keyboard, all Scandinavian countries etc., etc, and not to forget the Asian countries. The Pre, and now the Droid will have to be produced with different keyboards if they want to sell them overseas. Translation: more expensive.

Apple uses software to accommodate all languages. I think that is very smart. Moreover, typing on it with Apple's character recognition system is really easy and fast.

very good point
  • Reply 11 of 135
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,258member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Looks more like a "PRE-Killer" than an "iPhone-Killer"!

Agreed. The iPhone is now in a different league compared to these other phones, thanks to the app store. Right now the other phones are just competing with each other to see who emerges as the real competitor to the iPhone. At the end of the day, I have to believe that it will be Microsoft. It might require them to waste billions going down wrong paths, but eventually they will come out with something competitive. They've shown their willingness to stick with something no matter how long it takes to get it right. Look at how long it took them to go from Windows 1.0 to Windows 95. Palm will run out of money and Google will eventually be distracted by some other shiny thing, but MS will keep fighting and fighting -- do not underestimate the borg!
  • Reply 12 of 135
    That was a major mistake allowing them to name the phone Droid. First of all, they'll be sued by Lucasfilm, second, if the phone is a bust it'll be tied very, very closely to the entire Android moniker. They would have been much wiser to call it the "Transformr" (yes, there's a letter missing on purpose) and license the name if necessary from Hasbro.
  • Reply 13 of 135
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    THIS is the fabled iPhone killer?? Oh wait .... That was the Pre.

Hardware keyboard=fail, anyway.

At least Motorola's managing to stay relevant. Kind of.
  • Reply 13 of 135
    iDon't support concurrent web access and voice calls.

iDon't support international network standards (like GSM).

iDon't have over 85,000 APPs (at least not yet).

iDo want complete control of all hardware and Apps on your smart phones.

iWill disable features that do not benefit my bottom line.

iWIll nickel and dime you for everything.

iWill bash the other guys..until my network fails under the same pressure when it is finally tested.
  • Reply 15 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wil Maneker View Post

Actually it's "Genesis does what Nintendon't". These days, Sega does nothing really.
  • Reply 16 of 135
    ajitmdajitmd Posts: 365member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roos24 View Post

This very true. In some countries like Switzerland, they speak and use 3 or even 4 languages, all with a different alphabet. Some people even have to use multiple languages. They regular keyboards became hard to use if they remapped.

The Verizon version of the phones will use CDMA/EVDO and it can be used in most of the word. Motoogle will have to keep multiple inventories to keep up with all these permutations/ combinations.
  • Reply 17 of 135
    They could at least have put some sort of effort into the aesthetics of their iPhone "competitor". Ugly square shape, plain white buttons and a keyboard that looks like it was slapped together....but wait, what a pretty gold mouse thingy....NOT!
  • Reply 18 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

idon't support concurrent web access and voice calls.

Idon't support international network standards (like gsm).

Idon't have over 85,000 apps (at least not yet).

Ido want complete control of all hardware and apps on your smart phones.

Iwill disable features that do not benefit my bottom line.

Iwill nickel and dime you for everything.

Iwill bash the other guys..until my network fails under the same pressure when it is finally tested.

nice!
  • Reply 19 of 135
    That's a nice update on what's going on with Verizon's phone, but "Verizon's iPhone targeting Motorola Droid phone revealed" is a terrible headline. It sounds like Verizon has an iPhone that is going after the Motorola Droid.
  • Reply 20 of 135
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    The thing I like about Android, and even about Apple and their iphone OS, is that updates are always coming down the pipes. With windows mobile, you feel like nothing is happening.