Apple profits surge 46% on record sales of 3M Macs, 7.4M iPhones

Comments

• Reply 21 of 100
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Any guesses on what's fueling the increase in mac sales?

I think more people are looking for long-term value, reliability, and lower total cost of ownership.

Personally, I'm willing to pay more up front for a computer that will save me time and money (and headaches) long-term.
  • Reply 22 of 100
    plovellplovell Posts: 824member
    Hhmmm. Predicts EPS for the Christmas quarter to be *lower* than the one just past. Really? REALLY ???

Oh wait, maybe he's adjusting for the huge Win 7 uptake <sarcasm/>
  • Reply 23 of 100
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member
    Very impressive - not just the numbers, but the margin. Who wants to sell 20 million computers a quarter with a 2% margin when you can do this.

• Reply 24 of 100
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

I think more people are looking for long-term value, reliability, and lower total cost of ownership.

Personally, I'm willing to pay more up front for a computer that will save me time and money (and headaches) long-term.

More like new MacBook pros were recently released?

Return of Matte - 15"!!!

Return of Firewire on the 13"
  • Reply 25 of 100
    crankycranky Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

2010? Nothing more for this year? Make it not be true.

Fiscal 2009 ended in September. Fiscal 2010 is already upon us. Do you honestly think that SJ would pass up all that Christmas loot and wait until January 2010 to release the new iMacs?
  • Reply 26 of 100
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The Mac sales are amazing.

I also wonder how many phones they could have sold if they could keep up with demand, such as in Italy, where the vendor, selling 20,000 a month, said they could have had doubled sales for the period, another 60,000 for the quarter from them alone.

I agree.

It's funny how the media loves to jump all over Apple when they make a mistake, but this really quite dramatic shortage problem they have been having has been almost swept under the rug. It is at best, under-reported.

Apple did a kind of dastardly thing here. They made sure that the USA had stock of the 3Gs and a few other places, and then screwed over everyone else royally. I find it ironic and dumb that almost no US coverage has been given to this huge failure on Apple's part, just because Apple made sure that the US reviewers and customers all got their phones?!

Are analysts really that dumb? Apple also wins awards for their supply chain handling fairly regularly, so it's a great little story that they have screwed up so bad on the 3Gs.

The US based tech analysts should lift up there heads once in a while and look at the rest of the world. There has been close to zero stock of the iPhone 3Gs in Canada, Australia, and a lot of other countries all year long. I, and a lot of people who were champing at the bit to get one in August, have already given up and are waiting for the next model (and for Apple's supply chain issues to sort themselves out).

There must have been an absolutely huge number of lost sales world-wide due to these shortages and other supply chain screwups.
  • Reply 27 of 100
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cranky View Post

Fiscal 2009 ended in September. Fiscal 2010 is already upon us. Do you honestly think that SJ would pass up all that Christmas loot and wait until January 2010 to release the new iMacs?

Funny- did he say Fiscal 2010? Did I miss that? It reads like he's implying the holiday season and 2010 are 2 different things. He would have stated Fiscal 2010 including holiday season if your interpretation is to be valid.
  • Reply 28 of 100
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

Very impressive - not just the numbers, but the margin. Who wants to sell 20 million computers a quarter with a 2% margin when you can do this.

That does seem to be the exact point that is often missing when folks go toe-to-toe on market share, etc.

Earning more for selling less always made my accountant and banker happy.
  • Reply 29 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It topped 7% ($203.xx)

Yup, I know. That of course was only as I posted. This is after hours trading though, so we'll see how much of it sticks at the opening tomorrow. FWIW, the highest previous close for AAPL was 199.83 on December 28, 2007.
  • Reply 30 of 100
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

There was that price cut in Mac prices. When was that, just before this last quarter started? I'm sure that helped, and it certainly doesn't seem to be hurting their margins any.
  • Reply 31 of 100
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Yup, I know. That of course was only as I posted. This is after hours trading though, so we'll see how much of it sticks at the opening tomorrow. FWIW, the highest previous close for AAPL was 199.83 on December 28, 2007.

Yeah, it?s a bit of an empty victory to look at after hours trading, but often the stock was dropping after the announcement despite record sales. "Buy on rumour, sell on fact? was in effect. Perhaps Apple will announce a Mac Special Event on Thursday for next Tuesday. A little late, but with Win7 dropping perhaps waiting until right afterward its release is the best move. Seems like a good time to release a new product, not just updated product.
  • Reply 32 of 100
    Apple is doomed!
  • Reply 33 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Stockholders?

Raises hand over here.
  • Reply 34 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Raises hand over here.

I have 200 shares bought at 12.+ the day before the macworld expo when microsoft announced their $400mm dollar investment / settlement with apple, that day the stock passed 30, I still have those shares .. now split I'm a happy boy.
  • Reply 35 of 100
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:

2010? Nothing more for this year? Make it not be true.

You misinterpreted the article.

Steve said they have a great holiday season line-up. That could easily contain new products. Nothing new in "fiscal year 2009" (because it's already over for them), but still possibly new products in the actual year of 2009.

He also mentions new products in 2010, but a reductionist/absolutist like yourself probably reads that as the reverse (no new products in 2009), when in fact, one doesn't exclude the other.
  • Reply 36 of 100
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

iPhone growth is a little disappointing. Smartphones, and especially the iPhone, have grown accustomed to large double digit growth figures. Perhaps it's a wider industry trend though.

Apple has had shortages in iPhones in a number of countries this past quarter, which in the conference call, going on now, they said was only relieved in September-October.

So they could possibly have sold 7.750,000 phones if that were not the case.

But it could lead to pent up demand that will be relieved the December quarter, which we're in now.
  • Reply 37 of 100
    Quote:

Sometimes it does seem more like AppleStockholdersInsider around here but we won't hold it against them.

They're fine for the most part until they get obnoxious and can't comprehend anything from a consumers point of view.

Well, it's both.

More consumers are pleased with the products, which results in rising sales and stock prices.

What's the problem?
  • Reply 38 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

17% increase in Mac sales is great, but I was surprised that the iPhone sales were only up 7%. I hadn?t realized they had supply issues.

In a number of countries.
  • Reply 39 of 100
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

You misinterpreted the article.

Steve said they have a great holiday season line-up. That could easily contain new products. Nothing new in "fiscal year 2009" (because it's already over for them), but still possibly new products in the actual year of 2009.

He also mentions new products in 2010, but a reductionist/absolutist like yourself probably reads that as the reverse (no new products in 2009), when in fact, one doesn't exclude the other.

To be fair, most people don't make comments about product releases in terms of fiscal years - and Steve's sentences were quite clearly delineating between the holiday season lineup and the 2010 lineup.

It's reasonable to interpret that as very likely meaning; no new products in the calendar year of 2009.
  • Reply 40 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I agree.

It's funny how the media loves to jump all over Apple when they make a mistake, but this really quite dramatic shortage problem they have been having has been almost swept under the rug. It is at best, under-reported.

Apple did a kind of dastardly thing here. They made sure that the USA had stock of the 3Gs and a few other places, and then screwed over everyone else royally. I find it ironic and dumb that almost no US coverage has been given to this huge failure on Apple's part, just because Apple made sure that the US reviewers and customers all got their phones?!

Are analysts really that dumb? Apple also wins awards for their supply chain handling fairly regularly, so it's a great little story that they have screwed up so bad on the 3Gs.

The US based tech analysts should lift up there heads once in a while and look at the rest of the world. There has been close to zero stock of the iPhone 3Gs in Canada, Australia, and a lot of other countries all year long. I, and a lot of people who were champing at the bit to get one in August, have already given up and are waiting for the next model (and for Apple's supply chain issues to sort themselves out).

There must have been an absolutely huge number of lost sales world-wide due to these shortages and other supply chain screwups.

Unfortuately, companies always make sure their home country sales are full before filling the channel elsewhere. It's not just Apple.

But in the call, Apple is saying that sales exceeded their expectations by a fair amount.

When we went to the UK with our daughter in early July to get her settled in school, it was hard to get an iPhone. O2 didn't have them, except in small amounts, that we couldn't get because she didn't have a British credit card. The Carphone Warehouse was totally out of them, as was every other vendor, except, of course, Apple. Apple said that even they ran out a few times.

We had to get the phone from them, and not get an O2 iPhone SIM.

I hear that it's still tight over here.