Apple profits surge 46% on record sales of 3M Macs, 7.4M iPhones

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

This is from another site but is the most interesting thing I've read so far. That is a pretty solid indicator that we are getting new stuff this year before Christmas. What that new stuff is I don't know but an iMac replacement has to be high on the list. A tablet seems to be out of the question right now, but maybe. An updated Mini would be nice to, but a bump would do just find there.

More interesting would be new devices! I don't want to start another XMac rant but this is a good possibility. A couple of other ideas would be a media server, an Apple TV that is a TV, or a vastly improved Apple TV itself. A new model iPhone would be nice too, but it is obvious that Apple is having trouble here. New displays would ROCK also. I'm having trouble imagining what else could be coming from Apple. In any event everyone feel free to guess along.

dave

There will NEVER be an xMac. I've given the reasons several times before.

I'd buy two of them and so would many others here at AI, but the overall impact on Apple would still be negative.

74% of recent Apple Mac sales have been notebooks. Apple believes that's because everyone wants a notebook and consider theirs the best ones available.

I don't disagree that they have pretty good notebooks, but I believe much of the reason for the rapid rise in notebook sales versus desktop sales is the relatively poor value offered by Mac desktops. The situation was bad in 2005 and has only gotten worse since then. Apple has basically ignored the desktop market and in return the desktop market has ignored them.

I'm sure Steve Jobs thinks I'm crazy because I don't want a notebook computer. I sit at a desk all day so there's zero value in being able to move my computer. When I come home I have a nice computer desk to work/play at. I'm better served by a desktop computer. I don't travel on business and I cannot imagine taking an expensive portable computer with me on vacation. If I need to look something up while sitting on the couch I can do that for $200 with an iPod touch. That's way more convenient than going down to the basement, unplugging my notebook from the large display and external KB/mouse and bringing it upstairs.
  • Reply 82 of 100
    Apple should seriously consider making a foray into India. Right now, Apple's presence is pathetic. Their marketing is non-existent, and sales people don't know anything about Mac products. Apple's iPhone introduction to India came and went virtually unnoticed. Three months after the iPhone came here, only about 35,000 iPhones had been sold. That's pathetic by any standard, and it's because Apple hasn't made an effort.

In comparison, Dell, HP, HCL, Toshiba, Sony, Acer all advertise on TV and in the paper media. And now there are even ads for Windows 7. All sorts of major brands are seeing the market potential that India offers, and for whatever reason, Apple hasn't paid much attention to us. I think if Apple opened four or five stores in some of the major cities here, they'd do very well. Buy some TV time, ad space in print media, produce some targeted ads for the Indian market, and Apple would become a major player, and would also significantly increase their global marketshare.

IMHO.
  • Reply 83 of 100
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    This thread is setting new records for product speculation with absolutely no basis in reliable information. May I humbly suggest that speculators will get at least as good a result from the ancient practice of reading the entrails of a goat?
  • Reply 84 of 100
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

This thread is setting new records for product speculation with absolutely no basis in reliable information. May I humbly suggest that speculators will get at least as good a result from the ancient practice of reading the entrails of a goat?

It would be nice if you were more specific about what you're talking about rather than making broad and possibly troll-like statements.
  • Reply 85 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It would be nice if you were more specific about what you're talking about rather than making broad and possibly troll-like statements.

This is the first time I've ever been accused of trolling. JeffDM, I resent both your smart-aleck response and your editing the content of my post. Yet you pose as a moderator of a forum that survives on rumor and exults in ignorance to plug the large gaps between pitifully little hard information - unless there's a conference call that drops the facts in your lap.

The preceding posts that argued whether significant new products will be introduced in Fiscal 2010 or Calendar 2010 have no basis in verifiable fact. That should be obvious had you bothered to read the many comments to that matter already posted on this thread. And since you apparently neither have enough years on this earth nor a large historically founded English vocabulary, it seems you fail to understand that reading the entrails of a goat is akin to reading tea leaves or other practices among soothsayers.

Verstehen Sie? Comprende? Capisci? Probably not.
  • Reply 86 of 100
    Quote:

This is the first time I've ever been accused of trolling. JeffDM, I resent both your smart-aleck response and your editing the content of my post. Yet you pose as a moderator of a forum that survives on rumor and exults in ignorance to plug the large gaps between pitifully little hard information - unless there's a conference call that drops the facts in your lap.

The preceding posts that argued whether significant new products will be introduced in Fiscal 2010 or Calendar 2010 have no basis in verifiable fact. That should be obvious had you bothered to read the many comments to that matter already posted on this thread. And since you apparently neither have enough years on this earth nor a large historically founded English vocabulary, it seems you fail to understand that reading the entrails of a goat is akin to reading tea leaves or other practices among soothsayers.

Verstehen Sie? Comprende? Capisci? Probably not.

I don't think you would ever understand that your attitude problem is really the majority of the problem I had with your post, and your response confirms that. That's why I wondered if it was trolling. Posting a graphic link doesn't help your case.

As to when the introductions are, sure, it's idle speculation, why you've chosen to become unhinged as a result of that is mystifying.
  • Reply 87 of 100
    Quote:

I don't think you would ever understand that your attitude problem is really the majority of the problem I had with your post, and your response confirms that. That's why I wondered if it was trolling. Posting a graphic link doesn't help your case.

As to when the introductions are, sure, it's idle speculation, why you've chosen to become unhinged as a result of that is mystifying.

Your arrogance is breathtaking. You're so accustomed to insulting people that you don't even realize when you're doing it. If you think the graphic was inappropriate, you merely could have removed it and said that you thought it was inappropriate - but no, you had to shoot off your big mouth with a put-down. Unhinged, eh? Boy, do you set a fine example for moderators. In your case, it amounts to abuse of power. If you want to regard this as your private playpen, you're welcome to it. Get stuffed, Napoleon.
  • Reply 88 of 100
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

LED backlighting is more expensive than fluorescent backlighting. If Apple is going to reduce retail prices without destroying their profit margins then something is going to have to be sacrificed.

I'm worried they'll try to save money on the LCD panels and justify it by saying the target market for the iMac is more interested in fast response times (which benefit gaming and video playback) than accurate color.

If it's a cheaper model, then something will have to give. They already use cheaper displays on the 20" models. The 24" is a good display.

Besides, LED backlighting is getting less expansive as time goes on. At some point in the near future it will be the same cost, then a little later, cheaper.

Exactly when that will happen, I don't know, but I don't think it adds too much to the cost these days.
  • Reply 89 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post

Apple should seriously consider making a foray into India. Right now, Apple's presence is pathetic. Their marketing is non-existent, and sales people don't know anything about Mac products. Apple's iPhone introduction to India came and went virtually unnoticed. Three months after the iPhone came here, only about 35,000 iPhones had been sold. That's pathetic by any standard, and it's because Apple hasn't made an effort.

In comparison, Dell, HP, HCL, Toshiba, Sony, Acer all advertise on TV and in the paper media. And now there are even ads for Windows 7. All sorts of major brands are seeing the market potential that India offers, and for whatever reason, Apple hasn't paid much attention to us. I think if Apple opened four or five stores in some of the major cities here, they'd do very well. Buy some TV time, ad space in print media, produce some targeted ads for the Indian market, and Apple would become a major player, and would also significantly increase their global marketshare.

IMHO.

Are you in India? I ask that because your post reads as though you're seeing it firsthand.

If you are, then possibly you can answer this question that I've seen. Is the phone too expensive for India? I know they have a fairly large middle class, but do they buy expensive phones?

Possibly Apple doesn't think the demographics are such that spending a lot on Ads will produce enough of a boost to pay for itself.
  • Reply 90 of 100
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

In a number of countries.

it's definitely in issue in canada. sadly smart of apple to serve their home turf first.
  • Reply 91 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

it's definitely in issue in canada. sadly smart of apple to serve their home turf first.

Apple's been conservative for as long as I can remember.

Way back in 1992, when I bought my Quadra 950, I had to wait for weeks, because Apple underestimated demand.

But them, I also had to wait for weeks to get my 21" NEC Multisync, because they ALSO underestimated demand.
  • Reply 92 of 100
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Apple's been conservative for as long as I can remember.

Way back in 1992, when I bought my Quadra 950, I had to wait for weeks, because Apple underestimated demand.

But them, I also had to wait for weeks to get my 21" NEC Multisync, because they ALSO underestimated demand.

considering how consistently apple misjudged the demand in the 90s, particularly for their highest margin machines, they have done pretty well in recent years. yes - it is annoying when the rest of the world gets to wait until the us market's gluttony is satisfied, but what company in their right mind would do anything else?

i do hope they got a grip on that problem, since they are about to introduce the iphone into more markets and in some countries to multiple carriers.
  • Reply 93 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

considering how consistently apple misjudged the demand in the 90s, particularly for their highest margin machines, they have done pretty well in recent years. yes - it is annoying when the rest of the world gets to wait until the us market's gluttony is satisfied, but what company in their right mind would do anything else?

i do hope they got a grip on that problem, since they are about to introduce the iphone into more markets and in some countries to multiple carriers.

The Japanese have been different, though I don't know if they still work that way today.

They used to get product out to the export markets first, and then, finally, to the home market at much higher prices, because the government wanted them to quickly dominate those export markets. They didn't care about the home market.
  • Reply 94 of 100
    Excellent Mac sales. A shockwave to be sure...as the glass ceiling 3 million number finally comes crashing down.

I hope for slightly cheaper prices to allow more people into the Mac party. Hopefully the iMac, Macbook launches will show aggressive intent with accessible pricing.

Mac momentum is looking exciting.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 95 of 100
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69

This is from another site but is the most interesting thing I've read so far. That is a pretty solid indicator that we are getting new stuff this year before Christmas. What that new stuff is I don't know but an iMac replacement has to be high on the list. A tablet seems to be out of the question right now, but maybe. An updated Mini would be nice to, but a bump would do just find there.

More interesting would be new devices! I don't want to start another XMac rant but this is a good possibility. A couple of other ideas would be a media server, an Apple TV that is a TV, or a vastly improved Apple TV itself. A new model iPhone would be nice too, but it is obvious that Apple is having trouble here. New displays would ROCK also. I'm having trouble imagining what else could be coming from Apple. In any event everyone feel free to guess along.

dave

There will NEVER be an xMac. I've given the reasons several times before.

I'd buy two of them and so would many others here at AI, but the overall impact on Apple would still be negative.

74% of recent Apple Mac sales have been notebooks. Apple believes that's because everyone wants a notebook and consider theirs the best ones available.

I don't disagree that they have pretty good notebooks, but I believe much of the reason for the rapid rise in notebook sales versus desktop sales is the relatively poor value offered by Mac desktops. The situation was bad in 2005 and has only gotten worse since then. Apple has basically ignored the desktop market and in return the desktop market has ignored them.

I'm sure Steve Jobs thinks I'm crazy because I don't want a notebook computer. I sit at a desk all day so there's zero value in being able to move my computer. When I come home I have a nice computer desk to work/play at. I'm better served by a desktop computer. I don't travel on business and I cannot imagine taking an expensive portable computer with me on vacation. If I need to look something up while sitting on the couch I can do that for $200 with an iPod touch. That's way more convenient than going down to the basement, unplugging my notebook from the large display and external KB/mouse and bringing it upstairs.

It's not looking good for the X-Mac currently. Their momentum seems towards mobile computing re: laptop to iphone.

I still believe there is room for an X-Mac under the currently OVER-priced Mac Pro. Apple could just return the 'Pro' to their previous G5 price points. That would help! It's not like the cheaper components aren't there.

Still, I think with Mac sales now above 3 million(!), wow, I think an X-Mac is still a possibility for many PC buyers who just don't want an iMac. ie a greater market to support a Cube/mini pro market. I think the skewed Apple ratio is there to see. ie overpriced desktops, lacking latest components and don't offer alot of choice. That's fine for laptops...not fine for desktops.

I live in hope.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 96 of 100
    Quote:

Your arrogance is breathtaking. You're so accustomed to insulting people that you don't even realize when you're doing it. If you think the graphic was inappropriate, you merely could have removed it and said that you thought it was inappropriate - but no, you had to shoot off your big mouth with a put-down. Unhinged, eh? Boy, do you set a fine example for moderators. In your case, it amounts to abuse of power. If you want to regard this as your private playpen, you're welcome to it. Get stuffed, Napoleon.

I got a second opinion and he didn't think it was a big deal. I'm sorry I overreacted. But my first response wasn't intended to be an insult.
  • Reply 97 of 100
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Kool-aid is Kool-aid and not something to be so proud and brag about no matter where that pitcher is being filled from.

It's justified, Teck. It's been justified for years now. Don't take understandable enthusiasm for blindness.

The naysayers have been proven wrong yet again, and while we might or might not be drinking "kool aid", they need to have a seat over there and eat crow. it's only fair.
  • Reply 98 of 100
    xyz001xyz001 Posts: 117member
    im with JeffDM on this one...Being skeptic but polite, then personally attacked like cracy, and then HE ends up apologizing respect for keeping the good atmosphere
  • Reply 99 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cranky View Post

NO, it is not reasonable to interpret it like you say. The following was taken from the article titled "Apple Says Cheaper New Products in the Pipeline" which was just posted on AI:

"Regarding revenue, as you know, the education and back-to-school seasons are over," Oppenheimer added. "The December quarter is typically driven by holiday purchases. Our guidance includes double-digit revenue growth from last year."

Sounds to me like they do intend to introduce new product in 2009.

It turns out you might be right... although that doesn't mean it was unreasonable to be wrong, given the exact wording quoted.

To be attached to a certain view and to look down upon other views as inferior - this the wise call a fetter - Buddha
  • Reply 100 of 100
    Quote:

I got a second opinion and he didn't think it was a big deal. I'm sorry I overreacted. But my first response wasn't intended to be an insult.

Thanks - I appreciate this response on your part. I've always tried to post responsibly. Let's make a fresh start.

Anyway, subsequent events today have certainly made all the tea leaf reading and entrail gazing moot. At this time yesterday, not a soul on this thread guessed that today would see the release of a slew of products. Once again, Apple pulled a fast one on the marketplace with its product releases, picking this week to drop the proverbial brown cigar into Microsoft's punchbowl during its Windows 7 rollout party.