Apple introduces MacBook overhaul with LED display, 7-hour battery

Comments

• Reply 41 of 120
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    One of these days Steve Jobs will sit on a rainbow.
  • Reply 42 of 120
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    This is a good entry level mac offering, and a better one than yesterday. The build quality, whether you give it due significance or not, was lacking on the previous model, and appears fully addressed with the current.

The lack of firewire on this model is not an issue. Most who buy this won't even have an external harddrive, let alone seriouz accessoriez.

I think they could have gotten really aggressive and priced this at $799, or even $899, but thats hard to say considering its the same price as yesterday, with a few substantial new features: unibody, LED screen, 7 hr battery, the new glass trackpad.

All of that makes it far better value than yesterday, for the same price. Its totally appropriate.
  • Reply 43 of 120
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Indeed they are, which is all the more perplexing given that all they need to do is GOOGLE the term 'unibody' to find out what it means - \

Actually, according to Wikipedia, it looks like these current macs can actually be seen as Monocoque in construction (and as unibody) - in which the external skin (which IS the chassis in these notebooks) contributes to overall structural rigidity and lessens or removes the need for any internal trusses.

And it sounds cool too - kinda Euro and sexy: Monocoque Macs.......
  • Reply 44 of 120
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rind View Post

Long time reader but First time to post.

As someone that has been a PC user since 94 I have never used a Mac.

I am happy about these changes , While the price has stayed the same from what I can tell , the Specs have went up.

As far as a reason to buy this over a cheaper Windows 7 laptop.... Easy answer , Its Windows. As someone that has used everything from Win 3.1 to Vista Im not anxious to use windows 7. Although I will eventually since the company I work for is already looking to migrate to 7 eventually.

Cant get the Mac until Tax time 2010 so im stuck impaitently waiting

i've been using WIndows 7 since August, it's OK. MBP's are still pricey but for a desktop an iMac is a much better buy than Dell right now.
  • Reply 45 of 120
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Actually, according to Wikipedia, it looks like these current macs can actually be seen as Monocoque in construction (and as unibody) - in which the external skin (which IS the chassis in these notebooks) contributes to overall structural rigidity and lessens or removes the need for any internal trusses.

And it sounds cool too - kinda Euro and sexy: Monocoque Macs.......

I was going to mention the term monocoque earlier, but decided not to when a seeminlgy simple term like unibody was misunderstood.
  • Reply 46 of 120
    Quote:

The entire Acer Timeline series best the new MacBook in battery life, and have a wealth of processor choices.

I'm not saying that they're quite as 'processor-powerful' as this new MacBook, but they do offer F/W ports, built-in multi-media card readers, removable batteries, aluminum construction (chassis/lid), true 16:9 LED backlit displays at larger sizes, thinner designs, and far less expensive upgrade options.

Still, this a very nice MacBook update, better if it was US $700.00

Choice Is Always Good.

Yes and it beats the crap out of this Macbook with reliable, stable & highly customizable choice of 5 different Windows versions.
  • Reply 47 of 120
    I like the new features. I think the main problem here is that many of us thought there would be new features and a price reduction.

Regarding cheap iPods, yes it is financially feasible to mass produce a cheap iPod when it drives revenues in the iTunes store. It's not the same with Laptops, which for the most part ship with most of the software you'd buy from Apple (minus the professional suite, which most folks wouldn't use on a Macbook anyway).

I'm actually happy that Apple is differentiating their product line via price/quality. I'd hate for the quality to go down because they were looking for ways to reduce the price.

Honestly, I wish the Macbooks had 10-12" screens and were the "netbook" of the Apple line. I'd pay the hefty price to have a real Apple Netbook that worked better than my current Acer "Hackintosh".
  • Reply 48 of 120
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

i've been using WIndows 7 since August, it's OK. MBP's are still pricey but for a desktop an iMac is a much better buy than Dell right now.

As much as I appreciate the 'simplicity' of my Mac computers, they really do come across as little more than costly devices for those that really don't know, nor care to explore the intricacies of actual computing.

Turn It On... Use The Software... Turn It Off - Computing Appliances, If you will.

Windows 7 is a far more advanced/robust operating system for users who savor every aspect of what can be done with their computers; affording endless customization, an exponentially larger software library, and user/cost-friendly upgrading.

Happily - There's room for both in today's market -
  • Reply 49 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gabberattack View Post

Yes and it beats the crap out of this Macbook with reliable, stable & highly customizable choice of 5 different Windows versions.

Obviously your statement has been posted out of complete ignorance, so I'll leave it be.

Choice Is Good.
  • Reply 50 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Somehow people are confusing the terms unibody with machined.

Not really. People are getting bogged down in semantics. When Apple adopted the "unibody" production method, the objective was to build a notebook that would be structurally more rigid (and probably cheaper to build in the long run). The new aluminum notebooks definitely feel more solid in comparison to old aluminum Pro's. Also, Apple made a big deal about showing a video of the production process.

The question about the new MacBooks that first came to my mind was: Is new MacBook just as rigid (or, solid-feeling, for want of a better term) as the aluminum notebooks? Or, even the older polycarb MacBooks?

And, I am certainly curious as to how the new production process differs from the old for the polycarb MacBooks.
  • Reply 51 of 120
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHarder

Windows 7 is a far more advanced/robust operating system for users who savior every aspect of what can be done with their computers;

Windows 7 far more advanced? Really? They need a new rewrite like Apple did with OSX.

Obviously you don't know what can be done with every aspect of mac.

I think you mean savor; unless you think the MacBook is a Jesus Laptop.
  • Reply 52 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

Not really. People are getting bogged down in semantics. When Apple adopted the "unibody" production method, the objective was to build a notebook that would be structurally more rigid (and probably cheaper to build in the long run). The new aluminum notebooks definitely feel more solid in comparison to old aluminum Pro's. Also, Apple made a big deal about showing a video of the production process.

The question about the new MacBooks that first came to my mind was: Is new MacBook just as rigid (or, solid-feeling, for want of a better term) as the aluminum notebooks? Or, even the older polycarb MacBooks?

And, I am certainly curious as to how the new production process differs from the old for the polycarb MacBooks.

Most Likely:

The new MacBooks are constructed from a single polycarbonate mould, as opposed to the previous multiple pieces fastened/snapped together.
  • Reply 53 of 120
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by obs1970 View Post

Windows 7 far more advanced? Really? They need a new rewrite like Apple did with OSX.

Obviously you don't know what can be done with every aspect of mac.

I think you mean savor; unless you think the MacBook is a Jesus Laptop.

Corrected!

And I'm anything but of that mindset, though some Mac users certainly appear to feel differently.
  • Reply 54 of 120
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

One of these days Steve Jobs will sit on a rainbow.

I thought he sits at the end of one already collecting his Pot O' Gold with his Apple TAX!
  • Reply 55 of 120
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    Quote:

Obviously your statement has been posted out of complete ignorance, so I'll leave it be.

Choice Is Good.

As in choice of anti-virus software, defrag utilities, registry cleaners, etc.?

It's better than Vista, yes. But it's still Windows.
  • Reply 56 of 120
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    $129 to replace a battery?

This puts the Apple Tax to SHAME!
  • Reply 57 of 120
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

So what, $20 extra over the typical cost for a laptop battery for a battery you have to replace less often, and provides significantly better battery life?

The horror!
  • Reply 58 of 120
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

$129.00

Includes Battery + installation + environmentally responsible disposal

I had to replace my (user replaceable) 2006 MBP battery and it was $129.00 and it included just the battery. The old one still sits in a drawer.
  • Reply 59 of 120
    they have done their job. getting a base model and ripping it apart and adding a ssd and more memory
  • Reply 60 of 120
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

it's a nice way of saying cheap plastic

Sure thing, Al. Bulletproof windows and shatterproof glasses are always made from "cheap plastic".

To answer the poster that you snarked:

Unibody just means that the main body is one piece, without a separate openable battery compartment.

The new long-run battery is larger than previous replaceable batteries, and does away with the battery bay of previous MacBooks. Tends to be stiffer, without adding weight, too.