Apple unveils new iMacs with 21.5 and 27-inch displays

Comments

• Reply 401 of 853
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Well said. The glossy screen is simply gorgeous to look at. The whiners don't even own one so they are talking out of their hat. How did the whiners ever survive with all those glass CRT monitors not so long ago? They never complained about Apple using a Sony Trinitron tube for the sharpest picture quality, compared to the shitty VGA displays used by PC vendors. I see better with the glossy screen than I ever did with the grainy matte screen. The glossy screen brings back the sharpness of the Trinitron days. My LC 575 with its Trinitron display has better picture quality than a matte LCD, and that is 15 years old!

Yes the glossy screens look more attractive, this is why they sell well to the uninformed.

Yes, I owned a glossy white Macbook and gave to a girlfriend, who didn't like the glossy screen neither. It gave us both headaches and eyestrain. The computer went unused and un-cared for. It got a drink spilled on it because nobody paid attention to it. Now it's a $1000 paperweight.

Yes, I used glossy CRTs over the years, so I KNOW about the dangers of reflections and glare. We had to hang stupid anti-glare screens and hoods in front of our CRTs to get accurate color/pictures.

Yes, I know about the Sony tubes, that was the best technology at the time, until cool to the eyes matte screen LCD's came out. And why wasn't the LCD's glossy hmmm? Why did they do a extra process to place a matte film on the LCD? Glare was a issue with CRTs and LCD's solved it. Now we are back to glossy like fools.

Yes, you can have a higher quality Trinitron with more pixels if the matte LCD was a cheap low resolution model and couldn't display all the pixels the content had.

Yes, the best Sony HDTV's Bravia are all matte screens.

Yes the iMac's are matte screens covered with a glossy glass, take the glass off and see.
  • Reply 402 of 853
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

And you're allowed to make one copy. It's in the specs.

No one is implementing that feature
  • Reply 403 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Yes the glossy screens look more attractive, this is why they sell well to the uninformed.

Yes, I owned a glossy white Macbook and gave to a girlfriend, who didn't like the glossy screen neither. It gave us both headaches and eyestrain. The computer went unused and un-cared for. It got a drink spilled on it because nobody paid attention to it. Now it's a $1000 paperweight.

Yes, I used glossy CRTs over the years, so I KNOW about the dangers of reflections and glare. We had to hang stupid anti-glare screens and hoods in front of our CRTs to get accurate color/pictures.

Yes, I know about the Sony tubes, that was the best technology at the time, until cool to the eyes matte screen LCD's came out. And why wasn't the LCD's glossy hmmm? Why did they do a extra process to place a matte film on the LCD? Glare was a issue with CRTs and LCD's solved it. Now we are back to glossy like fools.

Yes, you can have a higher quality Trinitron with more pixels if the matte LCD was a cheap low resolution model and couldn't display all the pixels the content had.

Yes, the best Sony HDTV's Bravia are all matte screens.

You have posted that same BS story before, every time there is an argument for matte vs. glossy. You do realize the MacBooks used a lower quality LCD panel than the MacBook Pros and MacBook Airs, don't you? That is no longer the case with current models. Your complaints were most likely due to the low quality panel, not the clear glass placed over it. Glare was hardly an issue with CRTs. I never had any on the CRTs I used. Next time, move the light. Did you hang one of those hoods over your TV too?
  • Reply 404 of 853
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    [QUOTE=solipsism;1503811

How many BR discs do they own, or how many hours of BR media have they watched that it could really trump the amount of digital downloads, on-demans and streaming media they?ve watched over the years. I know I watch several hours of Hulu a week and I have been watching cable on-demand for many years before Blu-ray came out. That seems unlikely to me.[/quote]

Your statements seem unlikely to me. I've got dozens of B-R disks already, and most of my friends have at least two or three dozen. I really know few people who watch downloadable movies. Even my daughter, who is one of the most involved people you'll ever meet when it comes to all of this subscribed to Netflix for the disks. She said the downloadable movies were terrible.

It's one thing to watch an episode of a Tv show from a download as my wife and I do when we miss it for some reason. But not to watch an entire year of Tv that way. It's garbage.

Everyone I know has cable, and that's the way they watch their Tv, and many movies. But we buy the ones that we want to watch in higher quality, or faster than they arrive on cable. We also do it that way because we don't have to sit through commercials, or see a cut version. HBO and the other casters don't carry everything when we want it.

Quote:

I watch a movie or two on Blu-ray a month. That doesn?t come close to the number of hours of ad supported, streaming content I watch per week.

That's you. Most people don't watch any streaming anything other than uTube.
  • Reply 405 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

In this instance it means 38M distinct viewers in a country with 300M.

I doubt very much that more than a few are actually watching it. There's no way that 38 million people are using the service for more than a peek at what it is. And its having a lot of legal problems right now.
  • Reply 406 of 853
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

No one is implementing that feature

Pioneer was demoing units not long ago
  • Reply 407 of 853
    Who the shit still cares about Blu-ray...I can't believe some of you here are still enamored by such old tech. It's out but it's already old. Cheap high-density SD cards are going to replace Blu-ray within the next 3 years. I guarantee it.
  • Reply 408 of 853
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joe in miami View Post

It doesn't stand a chance to go mainstream in the living room when you can get 1080p from Dish or Direct TV.

No one else called you on this but doesn't Sat and Cable deliver 1080i at best and badly compressed at that?

(although it does nicely jazz up the Science channel, NatGeo, House and the news)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dueces View Post

....the one and only option I was hoping for besides a larger screen that the 24" is to have a SSD drive as an option. I would gladly take a 128gb SSD versus the 1tb hard drive. Heck I would even pay $100 more for the SSD option. I guess I will wait to see the tear down tutorials on the new 27" before I decide whether to upgrade my 24" iMac.

I recently saw a PC that had a different take on this - a 64GB SSD for the OS and programs and a one TB drive for storage - at the cost of 128 SSD. Sounded innovative and cost-effective to me.

Quote:

The fact that the B-R HD-DVD war ended as the recession begun has made it harder for people to see it, but B-R sales are almost double from a year ago, with no evidence that it's slowing down. I've even seen a player advertised for $50, and titles are dropping to DVD pricing.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

it is a pity you're wrong, the current reports are blu-ray sales are growing at a lot high rate than digital distribution.

http://www.dvdtown.com/news/blu-ray-...ard-times/7098

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I've posted that twice already- they refuse to LISTEN!!!

Everybody's citing this, but not quoting it:

Quote:

Blu-ray playback device households are nearly 11.7 million and include PlayStation 3 consoles

And if half of those are strictly playing games, that's a whopping 6M BR households and probably less than 5% of DVD player households. Squat squared is diddleysquat. The real format wars are physical vs. virtual, and in the long run physical doesn't stand a chance even if it keeps a toe hold.

Quote:

Enough of that lame link! Is that article taking into consideration on-demand services from cable/sat companies and, most importantly, the ad supported streaming that makes up the bulk of the streaming these days. Sure didn’t sound like it.

To me either.

Quote:

Not in my life time, and not in my childrens life time. Downloads may be the next big thing, but it will be a while away

Quote:

The install base for blu-ray is higher than downloads...

Source please!
    Quote:

...so that means when blu-ray has a 66% growth, and downloads an %18 one, then blu-ray is growing a lot faster than downloads, and downloads will not be able to catch up until blu-ray starts decreasing...

I came to read about the new iMacs and all I got was a ton of misplaced Blu-Ray angst and matte screen bitching.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cdyates View Post

I wish they had kept the 24" 16:10 option. 16 x 9 is great for watching movies, but for office type work, design/development stuff I think the 16 x 10 aspect ratio is slightly better, and 24" is a really good size on a desk.

I have pivot monitor on my PC and for a) long-ass web pages (like forum threads), b) editing typed docs and c) for switching between editing vertical and horizontal photos, having more vertical real estate is far superior to this whole "cinemascope" (that's for the geezeers) trend.

What else is 16:9 better for EXCEPT movies and panoramas? Well, and wide spreadsheets.
  • Reply 409 of 853
    Quote:

Blu-ray is an optical media. They are aluminium discs encoded with microscopic pits. They use a laser to read the pit variations in the reflected light. That gets converted into digital data after being retrieved from the disc.

It's digital when it goes onto the disk.
  • Reply 410 of 853
    Quote:

That's all ridiculous! B-R is great. A FEW PS3's got bricked. Mine didn't.

The iMac doesn't have to be an open machine to be good. That's pretty clear. If you don't want one, then don't buy one.

And you're allowed to make one copy. It's in the specs.

yes BR is great. But it's not so great when the company fails to fix something they broke with a firmware update

now if BR fails in a Mac, Apple has to fix it if Sony/etc won't

this is the problem, and perhaps why BR was pulled from Mac's

Apple is leaning towards less mechanical and more logicboard/memory/SD.

SD cards coming, have 2TB of storage. Notice how Mac's are now sporting SD slots?

this is more like Apple, slim and trim, more margins, less labor more machine production.

You see now grasshoppers...no BluRay movie playback coming for Mac's, who needs it?

BluRay burning? Leave it for the pro's, Consumers don't need it.

Why be saddled for years with a defective product like BluRay? You'll get the same quality on a SD card or even streaming.

BluRay is twitchy and unreliable. TV and BluRay player manufacturers don't like computers turning into TV's neither, that includes Sony.

Us geeks naturally want a swiss army knife computer, but again it's not always practical.
  • Reply 411 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Good lord. I'm using "digital" as shorthand for "digital downloads, pay per view, and streaming"-- just as it is used pretty much everywhere.

DLs, streaming, and VoD account for something like 1.4 billion in revenue as of mid 2009.

Can you link to something?
  • Reply 412 of 853
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Displayport is being included on many new graphics cards. Just go and look at the new ones coming out.

There are quite a few companies supporting it, but mini-DisplayPort hasn?t seemed to catch on outside of Apple. It?s a very small issue so long as DP itself is adopted widely, given the free license I see no reason why it won?t be, but perhaps we?ll have to wait until DP v1.2 is out as that is when mDP will be added to the spec. So far, I can find no information about 1.2 being completed at this point.
  • Reply 413 of 853
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

And no matte and still ugly black border- puke.

I now have to wait 6 more months.

Teckstud, don't be like the guy who waited over 10 years to find the perfect women, and then, when he finally found her, discovered she was waiting for the perfect guy. I think these upgrades are all positive for the average user. I guess future sales will tell us.
  • Reply 414 of 853
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

Hmm. Amorph's post was a good one. Kinda puts one or two or three etc. things in perspective.

This is the best iMac yet. But the quad core options are unnecessarily expensive to me.

But I'm still critical of the lack of i5s in the bottom tier and the i7s as standard in the top tier. And the 4850 should be in the 'low end' 27 incher with something a little more powerful to push the resolution of the 27inch on the high end iMac.

Still, with an interim(?) update in 6 months...this line up could look just about right.

As for Blue Ray, be nice to have a 'super' blue burner as standard but can't these be added? Are they cheap? Do they work with Snow Leopard? *Shrugs. I think I can live without it for now. But in the future...I may look closer at Blue Ray. DVDs seem big enough for now to me. And with SD cards and portable HDs being dirt cheap...Blue Ray gets the squeeze for me as a priority.

Lemon Bon Bon.

Yeah I hesitate to give Amorph credit for a good post nowadays because his posts are always well reasoned and articulate.

I've asked for an "iMac Pro" before and that's exactly what Apple delivered. I feel like an Apple savant in a way. Lack of Blu-ray doesn't bother me because I will eventually be buying a 46 or 50" LED Samsung display and there's no way I'm watching a movie on a computer screen when I could be watching it on a Sammy at 120hz or better.

I may not buy Rev A of the iMac "Pro" but Rev B is looking pretty solid.
  • Reply 414 of 853
    Quote:

And on about Blu-Ray, IT SUCKS!!

My PS3 BluRay died after a firmware update, won't read any disk. PS3 works and does the Folding@home now but that's it.

Had to buy another PS3, so now I got two nice heaters.

Sony is being sued because of the bricking of so many PS3 BluRays, something I'm sure had to do with copy protection/HDMI being broken. Perhaps serials being copied/stolen or something. So mine got hit.

Blu-RAY IS A BAG OF HURT!!

The iMac is a pain as it is with nothing being user accessible, much less a malfunctioning Blu-Ray and firmware updates coming from (of DRM/Rookit fame) Sony Inc. to protect the copy protection.

You need BluRay? Get a external device. It's not ready for the mainstream and perhaps never will be.

The MIAA (which Sony is part of) really doesn't want BluRay movies on computers, unless they can control the DRM and playblack so it can't be copied. Apple won't go for that naturally, all that evil Sony code in OS X.

Apple is trending towards less mechanical, less laborious, more all on the logicboard type devices anyway.

Wow, another BS story from MacTripper! BluRay not ready for mainstream? Guess again. Lower prices, increasing sales, every movie coming out on BluRay...it is ready for mainstream. Despite the PS3 firmware glitch, BluRay is thriving well. Stand-alone Blu Ray players (not PS3's) are selling very well, and increasing in sales each year. If you hate Sony so much, why did you buy it? Yet you claim Sony makes the best HDTV's with their Bravia line, but you despise them in this post.
  • Reply 416 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

Who the shit still cares about Blu-ray...I can't believe some of you here are still enamored by such old tech. It's out but it's already old. Cheap high-density SD cards are going to replace Blu-ray within the next 3 years. I guarantee it.

Exactly.

SDXC, which a Mac can access up to 2TB.

Access speeds 2x as fast as a 7,200 RPM drive (according to my calculations), provide Apple has made hardware adjustments in the latest Mac's.

Fiddle with the SDXC with movie and it might even be erase so one can reuse the SD card later for storage.

BluRay will live in it's world of TV's, just like the MIAA wants it. They get their hardware protection again.
  • Reply 417 of 853
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Sorry these iMac are awesome without Blu-ray. Blu-ray is not the future for movies - Netflix HD downloads are. SD is great for rewriteable operations where Blu-ray is not. SD will long outlive Blu-ray.

HD downloads just don't do it for me.

And I really do not get downloads if one is wanting to make a purchase of the content. I will take a physical disc every time.

Did not bother me to see no Blu-ray drives. Did not think they would happen. Slight chace on a BTO and even then I thought it to be quite unlikely.

I watch quite a lot of Blu-Ray on my PS3. Got about 120 movies or so on the format.

As for the events today, pretty happy with the upgrades. Screens look nice. I have an original 2GHZ Core Duo 20" iMac. 1.5 GB ram, 250GB HD, Ati Radeon 1600. Can use an upgrade. Will be 4 years old come February.

Not sure on what to get. I do like the option of a laptop hooked up to a separate screen but Apples price on the 24" Cinema is absurd.
  • Reply 418 of 853
    Quote:

Take the iMac glass off and underneath is a cheap matte screen.

After all if the screen itself was glossy, then you have double reflections. One from the screen and one from the glass and most likely a reflection from the back of the glass onto the screen too.

Like looking into those infinite mirrors with lights.

The matte screen cures most of the reflections, except the one from the glass into your eyes..

One word. Gimmick.

Flashy shiny objects sell well, 80% of luxury goods are impulse sales, Americans rank high on impulsive buying.

Glossy screens rank lowest on practical functionality, people will put up with them, not knowing any difference unless it becomes a problem, like listening to loud music and smoking for years.

You'll see.

Wrong. The screen IS glossy. Just like in the MBP's was, and is. Apple themselves said, when they offered the new matte option, that the only difference between the model with the glass and the one without it was that they replaced the glossy panel with the same panel that had a matte surface, and eliminated the glass.
  • Reply 419 of 853
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    these new imacs are slick man. Exactly what I would get my mom or something. How absurd is it, though, to not include the right hand number pad on the keyboard? So odd...
  • Reply 420 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dueces View Post

I wasn't arguing the point myself, I was merely stating what other people on here argue about when comparing PC prices to Apple prices. BUT, I am sure in a month or so when these panels hit the streets by other manufacturers, there will be a side by side comparison showing the 27" i7 iMac at atleast $500+ more than the comparable PC version. Just as there has been the comparisons done on all previous models.

You're SURE? Not that you think that maybe it will be the case?

You know, other manufacturers AIOs have either been MORE expensive than Apple's, or have been regarded in the reviewing press as being crappy.

The built-in monitors have the potential of being some of the best around, but that awaits testing and calibration.