Apple unveils new iMacs with 21.5 and 27-inch displays

Comments

• Reply 821 of 853
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

I am speaking for myself but I don't think I am the only one that has 1.5 Mbps DSL. And I am a fan of streaming - 1.5 Mbps works well for streaming YouTube and NFL.com. But for HD movies, that is where the disc comes in. Judging from discs and disc related hardware sections of stores, I am not the only one that feels the disc isn't going anywhere soon.

Work has been underway to reduce the burden of downloading files via improved codec.

NGVC (Next Generation Video Codec) or h.265 is well on its way.

http://www.h265.net/2009/04/the-prel...-for-ngvc.html

1. Coding efficiency:

NGVC should be capable of providing a bit rate reduction of 50% at the same subjective quality

2. Complexity:

NGVC should be capable of operating with a complexity ranging from 50% to 3 times H.264/AVC High Profile.

When operated at a complexity of 50% compared to H.264/AVC High Profile, NGVC should provide a 25% bit rate savings compared to H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile at equivalent subjective quality.

Today's 4GB iTunes HD movie will shrink to 3GB with no quality loss or 2GB with a bit of quality loss. Improving the download codec is a game changer for video downloads.
  • Reply 822 of 853
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    You have a lot of DVD's because that is the way the media distribution model was previously set up. Just because it was like that does not mean it has to continue that way.

I agree that some number of people will always like to have a DVD collection. The majority of people will see more value in paying $4 to rent a video on demand or pay $20 to instantly stream unlimited from a library thousands of movie titles.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

The reason I don't do any of that is because I have a lot of movies on DVD. Blu-ray lets me play HD movies and the old DVD movies. It is convenient for me, just insert disc and play, no connecting cables, no external monitor with HDCP issues, no new HDTV to buy with SD card for new movies, DVD player for old movie. For people like me, the simplicity of getting a disc in the mail and putting it into the player works well.

• Reply 823 of 853
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

You have a lot of DVD's because that is the way the media distribution model was previously set up. Just because it was like that does not mean it has to continue that way.

I agree that some number of people will always like to have a DVD collection. The majority of people will see more value in paying $4 to rent a video on demand or pay $20 to instantly stream unlimited from a library thousands of movie titles.

Eventually.
  • Reply 824 of 853
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:

You are speaking for yourself. Many of the rest of us are streaming as much video as we want.

there you go, talking as an American again, no, many of us are not streaming as much video as we want.
  • Reply 825 of 853
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

there you go, talking as an American again, no, many of us are not streaming as much video as we want.

When talking about Apple releasing new products why would you not look at from an American PoV? They are a US company that focuses first on the US and does more business in the US than any other country.
  • Reply 826 of 853
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

When talking about Apple releasing new products why would you not look at from an American PoV? They are a US company that focuses first on the US and does more business in the US than any other country.

And that is the reason they have such a poor market share outside the USA
  • Reply 827 of 853
    Quote:

That is one reason. Are you suggesting that a company should be all things to all people without first focusing on how to do certain things right? I certainly don?t think that is true.

I remember having a tough time trying to by a $900 Nokia phone many years ago. Had to by it from Europe unlocked and have it shipped. They simply didn?t sell it here. Should I fault them for not catering to my specific needs at a specific time? I don?t think so.
  • Reply 828 of 853
    Quote:

That is one reason. Are you suggesting that a company should be all things to all people without first focusing on how to do certain things right? I certainly don?t think that is true.

Considering we were talking about streaming video, and he stated that many of us were streaming video, which from an international point of view is incorrect, I'm not sure why you brought it back to Apple for. But to answer your question, I think they should be trying to build their international share, they concentrate too much on the US, it is almost like they don't know how to compete internationally.

Quote:

I remember having a tough time trying to by a $900 Nokia phone many years ago. Had to by it from Europe unlocked and have it shipped. They simply didn?t sell it here. Should I fault them for not catering to my specific needs at a specific time? I don?t think so.

That wouldn't be around the time that Qualcomm and Nokia were involved in lawsuits and Nokia wasn't allowed to sell certain phones in the US? But nowdays, how hard is it to get a Nokia phone in the US? Not very, you can walk into one of the Nokia stores and purchase one, or get them off Amazon etc.
  • Reply 829 of 853
    Quote:

That wouldn't be around the time that Qualcomm and Nokia were involved in lawsuits and Nokia wasn't allowed to sell certain phones in the US? But nowdays, how hard is it to get a Nokia phone in the US? Not very, you can walk into one of the Nokia stores and purchase one, or get them off Amazon etc.

It was, but Nokia never did well in the US anyway. Why would I want a Nokia phone now?
  • Reply 830 of 853
    Quote:

It was, but Nokia never did well in the US anyway. Why would I want a Nokia phone now?

I can think of a number of reasons, one being if I am going to pay US$900 for a phone, I don't want Apple telling me what I can, and cannot do with it
  • Reply 831 of 853
    Quote:

I can think of a number of reasons, one being if I am going to pay US$900 for a phone, I don't want Apple telling me what I can, and cannot do with it

All OSes define what you can and can?t do. If you don?t like the App Store then jailbreak it. It?s been around almost from the start. Need to use it in another country, then unlock it. Don?t complain that a company doesn?t make a product to suit your specific needs. Deal with it, do something about it or buy another product. You hate the USA. Fine. You hate Americans. Fine. You hate Apple. Fine. You hate the iPhone. Fine. But why you are on a US-based website that focuses on a US-based company that suit your needs? Makes no sense.
  • Reply 832 of 853
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:

Yes, and people like me that own lots of DVD's will continue to buy a player which will play the movies they own. It does not have to be that way but does that mean it has to be the way which renders all my current movies useless?

And this is from someone that likes to try out new technological thing. I bought an AppleTV thinking it would be great to rent a $4 movie but so far it has just been discs via Netflix.
  • Reply 833 of 853
    Quote:

All OSes define what you can and can’t do. If you don’t like the App Store then jailbreak it. It’s been around almost from the start. Need to use it in another country, then unlock it. Don’t complain that a company doesn’t make a product to suit your specific needs. Deal with it, do something about it or buy another product. You hate the USA. Fine. You hate Americans. Fine. You hate Apple. Fine. You hate the iPhone. Fine. But why you are on a US-based website that focuses on a US-based company that suit your needs? Makes no sense.

Where have I said that I don't like Apple, or that I don't like the USA or don't like Americans? You have some strange logic there.

1. If I don't like Apple, I have wasted a lot of money purchasing their products then.

2 (well we will combine 3 here as well) If I don't like the USA, or Americans, I would have never travelled there on holiday, which I enjoyed very much, and very much look forward to going back there one day.

What you don't seem to understand is the iPhone is not the only phone in existance, it is not the be all end all phone that people make it out to be. Sure it may be a brilliant phone, a lot of people like it, but there is also a lot of people that it doesn't fit their needs.

And this may be an US based site, but until the time comes when they start restricting access from outside the US, it is an international forum.
  • Reply 834 of 853
    Yes eventually.

When it comes to Blu-ray, there is over estimation on how much the general consumer cares about quality and under estimation on how lazy most people really are.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Eventually.

• Reply 835 of 853
    iTunes movies, Hulu, and Netflix are US only right now. Unfortunately its a US centric topic.

Quote:

• Reply 836 of 853
    Quote:

iTunes movies, Hulu, and Netflix are US only right now. Unfortunately its a US centric topic.

Which really means that DVD's and Blu-Rays are the only future internationally, so leaving out a blu-ray drive from the latest iMac was a massive mistake, and really proves that Apple has no vision outside of the US.
  • Reply 837 of 853
    <sarcasm> Yes Apple sure is missing the boat on the world wide run away success of Blu-ray <sarcasm>

Quote:

Which really means that DVD's and Blu-Rays are the only future internationally, so leaving out a blu-ray drive from the latest iMac was a massive mistake, and really proves that Apple has no vision outside of the US.

• Reply 838 of 853
    Quote:

<sarcasm> Yes Apple sure is missing the boat on the world wide run away success of Blu-ray <sarcasm>

Yes they are, what other way do I have to get HD content to my TV?

I'm not in a region to get DVB-T, I am not willing to pay Sky TV for, no streaming available, that leaves Blu-ray. So if I want to take a blu-ray away with me when I travel, that means I will buy a portable player from someone else, not Apple.
  • Reply 839 of 853
    Quote:

It's because they don't have as many outlets for their products overseas. When they do, their sales are just fine. I just read that in Switzerland, Apple has over a 30% marketshare in computers. Small country, but a very smart one.

They also have a large marketshare for iPods, in several countries over 50%, and rising everywhere else, as Cook stated.
  • Reply 840 of 853
    Quote:

And this may be an US based site, but until the time comes when they start restricting access from outside the US, it is an international forum.

I enjoy arguing with you. If all we do is to exchange pleasantries, then it gets boring real fast.