A look inside Apple's new 27-inch iMac (teardown photos)

Comments

• Reply 61 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

I wonder if you could force a 27" non-glossy screen into it? Think that would void the warranty?

Most definitely would void the warranty. BTW the the glass on the previous Imac was held in place just with magnets. Pops off easy I've heard; so if the LCD isn't itself glossy then maybe you can remove the glass for a mate screen. Who's got one?
  • Reply 62 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

According to the teardown photo it is a HDL (Hitachi LG Data Storage) Multi DVD Rewriter Model: GA11N, which is a "HLDS GA11N 12.7mm SATA Slotload 8X DVDRW". http://translate.google.com/translat...ari%26rls%3Den

That's the optical drive, silly.

The hard drive is a normal, everyday, average 3.5" desktop drive. Y'all think it looks small because the computer around it is really big.
  • Reply 63 of 84
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Even if a blu-ray drive had been offered as an option. How would it have played if it's not built into the OS?

With a software BluRay player that Apple would have shipped/installed with the Macs.

Quote:

Snow Leopard would have to be updated -correct?

Well slightly perhaps and yes a software player would need to have been developed...

Quote:

Wouldn't that be a major update- size wise?

Nope not at all...

Infact... do you realize that IF you install a BluRay player to a Mac running OS X 10.6 (perhaps even 10.5.x) that it will do NOTHING! (shocked ya didn't I)

However! if instead you installed BluRay drive that also had WRITE capabilities then the Mac will show you a BluRay disc in the drive and even put it on you're desktop but it will not be able to play it.

HOWEVER! Some smart people have been working on software that WILL rip the movie off the drive and unprotect it in the process. This process is very much a work in progress but it works for a great number of 1st gen BluRay media ... BluRay+ I think is still giving them some fits but this is ALL being done WITHOUT any 'special bluray-centric' updates to OS X from Apple.

Link for the lookenspeepers: http://www.makemkv.com/

While admittedly far from 'Playing the Godfather Collection in 1080 with the press of a button' this all shows that OS X all by it lonesome can be coaxed into allowing you to read data off a BluRay disc and with software from above it can also RIP said BluRay data from that drive and save it unmolested on a HD of your choosing. There are issues with subtitles I think and perhaps chapter markers as well... Not following that project too closely but I did heard that they were making headway with the new and improved BluRay+ protected discs.
  • Reply 64 of 84
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

it [only] looks small because the computer around it is really big.

Yea I tried that line on my Wife but she wasn't falling for it one bit..
  • Reply 65 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Yea I tried that line on my Wife but she wasn't falling for it one bit..

She married you, didn't she?

Anyway. Nice to see Apple finally using desktop processors in the iMac. I knew they could do it if they wanted to. That should make the machine much more competitive.
  • Reply 66 of 84
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    It's not exactly clean and elegant inside but it's impressive all the same. If only they had included a BD drive, then I would have clicked 'buy'. Instead I'll just install Win7 on my old PC and wait for the next iMac update.
  • Reply 67 of 84
    Quote:

That's the optical drive, silly.

The hard drive is a normal, everyday, average 3.5" desktop drive. Y'all think it looks small because the computer around it is really big.

I was referring to the optical drive. But it was still my error re the topic of discussion. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

I was mixing it up the queries, especially since it was made quite clear by Apple that, "All iMac models include standard 3.5-inch Serial ATA hard drives that run at 7200 revolutions per minute (rpm)." http://store.apple.com/us/configure/...co=MTMzNzY5NDA
  • Reply 68 of 84
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Damn look at those "gigantic" heat sinks. Next iMac I want liquid cooling

Why, so it can leak like the Power Mac G5? Bad idea.
  • Reply 69 of 84
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    holy crap those speakers are shocking in the iFixit teardown. I was marveling at the drivers themselves until I realized that each set are actually set into their own bevel faced enclosure cabinets. That's amazing inside of an iMac case.
  • Reply 70 of 84
    Quote:

She married you, didn't she?

Anyway. Nice to see Apple finally using desktop processors in the iMac. I knew they could do it if they wanted to. That should make the machine much more competitive.

Much more for sure. This is the first time I'm even considering an iMac.

Three days ago, the iMac was simply a mobile computer in a sexy desktop package.

Today, the 27" iMac is a desktop computer in a sexy desktop package...complete with desktop CPU, desktop HDD, and a screen big enough to act as a nice media center (a TV). I'm somewhat worried this iMac will be plagued by heat issues. But if it turns out that the heat dissipates well, I'm for sure going to buy this thing.

I'll just turn my Mac Pro into a media server considering it has tons of storage expandability. Three years ago, the Mac Pro was a good deal because I figured I needed the speed and expandability and the iMac wasn't cutting it with its laptop components. Today I realize that I've done little in the ways of expanding my Mac Pro outside adding more storage and more memory.

I never used the expansion slots. Apple obsoleted my Mac Pro by cutting graphics card expandability support as soon as it shipped 64-bit EFI Mac Pros. I've got an aging pair of Soundsticks.

I figure I might as well just get a 27" iMac, buy memory and storage from OWC or Newegg. Put the standard 1TB into the last slot on my Mac Pro. Make the Mac Pro a media server.
  • Reply 71 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

holy crap those speakers are shocking in the iFixit teardown. I was marveling at the drivers themselves until I realized that each set are actually set into their own bevel faced enclosure cabinets. That's amazing inside of an iMac case.

Everything about the new 27" iMac seems to be high quality.

Mossberg says the new iMacs are evolutionary not revolutionary...I suppose I *could* agree except that the 27" iMac is one pretty frickin' big evolution -- it's a real desktop computer.

Desktop CPU

Desktop GPU

Desktop speakers

Desktop HDD

Like I said in my previous post though, I'm thinking heat is going to be an issue with these beasts.
  • Reply 72 of 84
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

Mossberg says the new iMacs are evolutionary not revolutionary...I suppose I *could* agree except that the 27" iMac is one pretty frickin' big evolution -- it's a real desktop computer.

Desktop CPU

Desktop GPU

Desktop speakers

Desktop HDD

Like I said in my previous post though, I'm thinking heat is going to be an issue with these beasts.

Maybe thats why its pretty much all aluminium now. This seems to help the new unibody macbooks keep cool.
  • Reply 73 of 84
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Maybe thats why its pretty much all aluminium now. This seems to help the new unibody macbooks keep cool.

Definitely some hot stuff inside there, but yes I think the additional aluminum and the increased size will go a long way to keep temps down. And who knows what else? (fan placement. Blade configuration?) Apple's been doing this for awhile, and I certainly think they keep learning.
  • Reply 74 of 84
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Quote:

MXM has been out for years. Great for companies to offer some choice in mobile based products, but you'll never see replacement modules on the open market.

On the first 24" imac the upgrade gpu was in such a slot. Some folks did tests to see if other gpus would work but none would. Apple may be using the slot but made it to their specification, and I just don't see Apple letting you upgrade it. It's just not The Steves way.

Might have something to do with the fact that Macs use EFI instead of BIOS. The graphics firmware has to be compatible with the system firmware.
  • Reply 75 of 84
    Quote:

Desktop CPU

Desktop GPU

Desktop speakers

Desktop HDD

And this 5-star review would agree: http://computershopper.com/desktops/...e-imac-27-inch

And another: http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/app...?tag=mncol;txt
  • Reply 76 of 84
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:

Desktop CPU

Desktop GPU

Desktop speakers

Desktop HDD

Plus VESA mount. Its like going back to the original G5 iMac. Too you still have to tear them apart to service them though.
  • Reply 77 of 84
    Does anyone know how the display input will work with a second computer. My current setup has a USB switch for keyboard/mouse, with inputs from the mac and pc going to the monitor. If I'm using a 27" imac, how do I (i) switch between displays (i.e. flip between using the mac and the pc attached to it), and (ii) connect a pc to the display port so that I can use the full resolution. On the latter question, wouldn't you need a dual dvi to display port adapter to use the full resolution, and if so, does such a beast exist?
  • Reply 78 of 84
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

With a software BluRay player that Apple would have shipped/installed with the Macs.

Well slightly perhaps and yes a software player would need to have been developed...

Nope not at all...

Infact... do you realize that IF you install a BluRay player to a Mac running OS X 10.6 (perhaps even 10.5.x) that it will do NOTHING! (shocked ya didn't I)

However! if instead you installed BluRay drive that also had WRITE capabilities then the Mac will show you a BluRay disc in the drive and even put it on you're desktop but it will not be able to play it.

HOWEVER! Some smart people have been working on software that WILL rip the movie off the drive and unprotect it in the process. This process is very much a work in progress but it works for a great number of 1st gen BluRay media ... BluRay+ I think is still giving them some fits but this is ALL being done WITHOUT any 'special bluray-centric' updates to OS X from Apple.

Link for the lookenspeepers: http://www.makemkv.com/

While admittedly far from 'Playing the Godfather Collection in 1080 with the press of a button' this all shows that OS X all by it lonesome can be coaxed into allowing you to read data off a BluRay disc and with software from above it can also RIP said BluRay data from that drive and save it unmolested on a HD of your choosing. There are issues with subtitles I think and perhaps chapter markers as well... Not following that project too closely but I did heard that they were making headway with the new and improved BluRay+ protected discs.

Now that was really informative- thank you Dave.
  • Reply 79 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

I was told in the store that now that's it's LED it will be much cooler.
  • Reply 80 of 84
    Now I don't want a lot of hate mail but doesn't it strike you odd that the iSight camera is still so low end? Especially with such a HD monitor?