Psystar sells $50 software hack to run Snow Leopard on PCs

Comments

• Reply 21 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gresh28 View Post

Wow psystar you guys are masters of engineering, 30+ steps to get your fugly piece of software working. Maybe take some pointers from the people whose stuff your are ripping off next time.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't steps 24-38 already part of the standard OSX install?
  • Reply 22 of 72
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

SNIP

And Apple may rise prices, require an authentication code and/or a home phone to verify a legal install of OS X. These are things I don?t want to deal with with OS X.

that's what i'm worried about... I think the lack of the authentication hassle is one of the least celebrated advantages of the mac. it would suck having to put up with that nonsense in the future as a result of this.
  • Reply 23 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

that's what i'm worried about... I think the lack of the authentication hassle is one of the least celebrated advantages of the mac. it would suck having to put up with that nonsense in the future as a result of this.

"Hackintosh's" can be just as good for Apple as bad. I never gave OSX a fair shot until I was able to try it out without a huge investment on a new piece of hardware.

As a result of using a Hackintosh, I've already decided that my next computer will be a MacBook Pro. I'm just waiting for the next hardware refresh on the MBP.
  • Reply 24 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

I have a hunch that most of this was ripped off from the work done by the hackintosh crowd and given a gui. These folks steal from everyone. Imho.

A hunch? The entire business exists because of the Hackintosh efforts.
  • Reply 25 of 72
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eclypse View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't steps 24-38 already part of the standard OSX install?

The article was written for the Apple Fanboys that frequent this site. In other words, they want the reader laugh at the incredibly complicated "38 step" process but not actually check the process out for themselves...and true to form, most don't.

If they did, they would see how most of the steps involved would be identical to installing OS X on a Mac with a new, unformatted hard drive. Pretty simple stuff really. Sure, there are some necessary extra steps, but it seems to be an incredibly simple process.

-kpluck
  • Reply 26 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

The article was written for the Apple Fanboys that frequent this site. In other words, they want the reader laugh at the incredibly complicated "38 step" process but not actually check the process out for themselves...and true to form, most don't.

If they did, they would see how most of the steps involved would be identical to installing OS X on a Mac with a new, unformatted hard drive. Pretty simple stuff really. Sure, there are some necessary extra steps, but it seems to be an incredibly simple process.

-kpluck

What the hell are you guys talking about? What 24-38 steps??

edit: Ok never mind. But sheesh they left out steps like "xx) - Lay palm of hand on top of mouse." "xxx) - extend index finger and push down once."
  • Reply 27 of 72
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eclypse View Post

"Hackintosh's" can be just as good for Apple as bad. I never gave OSX a fair shot until I was able to try it out without a huge investment on a new piece of hardware.

As a result of using a Hackintosh, I've already decided that my next computer will be a MacBook Pro. I'm just waiting for the next hardware refresh on the MBP.

Cool. Have you used a proper Mac since trying the Hackintosh? I think you?ll notice a world of difference in ease of usability. i?ve built many OSx86 machines over the years while owning Macs and they just don?t compare. There are odd quirks even on the best of them, but the feel of the keyboard and multi-touch trackpad are just worlds apart from any of the non-Mac PCs I?ve had, with or without OS X on it.
  • Reply 28 of 72
    Maybe I should buil a custom pc...does this stuff really work???
  • Reply 29 of 72
    Quote:

Cool. Have you used a proper Mac since trying the Hackintosh? I think you?ll notice a world of difference in ease of usability. i?ve built many OSx86 machines over the years while owning Macs and they just don?t compare. There are odd quirks even on the best of them, but the feel of the keyboard and multi-touch trackpad are just worlds apart from any of the non-Mac PCs I?ve had, with or without OS X on it.

You could always just use an Apple keyboard if you want. I do agree with you about the multitouch trackpad though.

I ended up buying a Macbook Pro because I was so satisfied with my Hackintosh build. Comparing the two machines the PC on Hackintosh obviously runs much better because it has a far superior graphics card and processor. The MBP did boot faster even with the stock 5400 RPM hard drive (and even faster with the SSD I have in it now) and sleep doesn't work on my Hackintosh because its motherboard is not quite compatible.

But apart from those few issues it is faster than most quad core Mac Pros and worked nicely. Nowadays I just use my MBP connected to an external display, keyboard and mouse and have the PC reserved for movies and games running Windows 7.
  • Reply 30 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fast Fred 1 View Post

Cause Apple isn't in the software business, their in the hardware business.

How old are you?

Hmmm so

iTunes

iPhoto

iMovie

iDVD

iWeb

Garageband

Pages

Numbers

Keynote

Aperture

FinalCut Express

FinalCut Studio

Logic Studio

Logic Express

xSAN

are pieces of Hardware - hey ?

how old are you ?
  • Reply 31 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caljomac View Post

Maybe I should buil a custom pc...does this stuff really work???

I have 10.5 installed on a Wind U123 Netbook. Works smooth enough AND does have nearly six hours of (replaceable) battery life.

Of course - it's slower then my MB but it's lighter too. You see most Laptops do NOT fit into Hotel safes. All Netbooks do - so if you travel a lot......
  • Reply 32 of 72
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Software thieves are gonna be happy. The whole thing will then crash because of that dirty system loader and thieves will be whining about "Mac, which is just as buggy, as any Intel clone is".

Well, that'll make them happy again.
  • Reply 33 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fast Fred 1 View Post

Cause Apple isn't in the software business, their in the hardware business.

How old are you?

I'm 39 and I'm still remember my first experience with Paint on Macintosh Plus in 1987. Why you ask?

As for the software or hardware Apple is these days... Obviously, Apple creates the state-of-the art software. Windows Mobile users first laughing about iPhone (reading it's hardware features list) but later they cry in tears when actually use it. iPhone is the state-of-the-art piece of hardware thanks to its software, I insist!

Selling OSX to PC users will be just great addition to actual Apple sales, not anything more. And Apple can use some unique (and patent-protected) hardware devices like multitouch trackpad (you name it) to keep Mac hardware exceptional.

Computer business can't be succesful if it based solely on re-selling "made in China" hardware. I hope Apple is smart enough to push OSX on PC.
  • Reply 34 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SergeSF View Post

I wonder why Apple don't do it itself - release Snow Leopard for PC.

Just publish hardware requirements on apple.com and sell it for $129. Windows 7 need real competitor!

no, if they sell it, sell it for like $300 or $400, so there's very little cost advantage to staying with PC hardware. If it was primarily targeted at businesses, so say, they could get Mac OS on their existing hardware, it may get them hooked on Macs (both experience-wise and financially)
  • Reply 35 of 72
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    The last thing any OS X user in their right mind would want is for it to become a Windows clone. There goes nearly every reason to use OS X. Right out the window.

This "open up OS X" garbage seriously has to stop. It's bad business from every angle, and it would certainly be a colossal disservice to the average user. It's not going to happen.

Besides, No one, that is, NO ONE in their right mind selling computers or software in the current market is interested in seeing a legal precedent set that blows a hole in the principle of the EULA.

Apple succeeds spectacularly with Macs and OS X precisely because it's a closed, controlled ecosystem. Anything else (or anything less), and OS X becomes a Windows clone. And who the hell would want that?? The whole reason behind Apple's business model when it comes to Macs (and their resulting success) is that OS X is tied to Apple's hardware. This is the reason customer satisfaction rates are so high, year after year. This is the reason the also-rans of the industry aspire to render their products more "Mac-like" in every way possible.

This "freely use computing hardware the way they want" and "open up OS X" notion lives and dies in small corners of the internet, and in the even smaller corners in which Apple fan sites live, fuelled mainly by the geek/tech-enthusiast minority that (wrongly) thinks it knows whats best for everyone else. In fact, Apple knows best. Period. The proof is in the numbers. Hackintoshes and mucking around with the OS and wailing about "freeing" it is alright for that small segment of Apple's user base (a segment which in the grand scheme of things is inconsequential anyway), but it would be a monumental disservice to the average user.

Apple succeeds because of these specific differentiations. It's a coveted business model that others only wish they could emulate successfully. We're at the point now, where if the average user has $1000+ to spend (and apparently, plenty of them do!) a Mac will be near or at the very top of their list. That's quite an accomplishment. It's the reason Ballmer ends up looking stupid, flustered, and tongue-tied at press conferences, especially when he's in a room-full of Macs.And by the way, the last thing Apple's numbers, record Mac sales, and dominance of consumer mindshare and opinion would suggest is for Apple to open up its OS. What's the reason to use OS X then? As an alternative interface? All the real benefits of OS X would be gone. Windows clone.

There's simply no demand for that and no reason to do so, especially when Apple's making headlines, dominating mindshare, #1 in satisfaction surveys and reports year after year, the darling of the tech industry, and defying the recession with its current business model. Do you think Apple would be stupid enough to let go of all that??

Sorry folks. You want a Windows hardware experience but with an OS X interface? Not going to happen. You can't have it both ways. Stick with your hobby hackintoshes (because that's all they are), and be relieved that Apple is sticking up for the integrity of its product as well as the average user's interests.
  • Reply 36 of 72
    Quote:

Yup, I have a Mac Pro at work now. I'm a Linux admin, but am going to start dabbling in some Mac stuff to help out a colleague.

I'm not running a Mac keyboard or mouse just yet. What I found is that I find it hard to get used to the mouse acceleration in OSX, so I've installed the Microsoft driver (which lets you override the mouse acceleration provided by OSX) for my IntelliMouse on both my home Hackintosh and my Mac Pro at work. Now I can get the same experience in Windows, Linux, and Mac OSX over my KVM.
  • Reply 37 of 72
    Quote:

So does this actually alter any of the code of Mac OS X, or simply trick it into installing without actually altering the codebase? While there clones are illegal this software doesn?t seem to violate any copyrights or patents as far as I can tell at this point, much like the EFiX USB chip. And since you are installing it yourself Apple can?t easily come after you for the doing it.

There whole site was done 20 minutes ago.

And Apple may rise prices, require an authentication code and/or a home phone to verify a legal install of OS X. These are things I don?t want to deal with with OS X.

Yeah to prevent that Psychostar gots to go!
  • Reply 38 of 72
    I'm certainly no fan of Psystar or of what they are trying to do, but I think Apple is going to have a much harder time stopping them from selling this software than they will snuffing their Mac clone business. Apple may try a DMCA claim (which on the face of it, seems far-fetched), or they may choose to ignore it entirely and hope that suing Psystar out of existence makes their software business moot.
  • Reply 39 of 72
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SergeSF View Post

Computer business can't be succesful if it based solely on re-selling "made in China" hardware. I hope Apple is smart enough to push OSX on PC.

Apple received a revenue of 14.276 billion dollars from selling Macs (fiscal 2007)

How much do you think Microsoft earns by "pushing Windows on PC"?
  • Reply 40 of 72
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

I have a hunch that most of this was ripped off from the work done by the hackintosh crowd and given a gui. These folks steal from everyone. Imho.

I was just going to ask the same thing: where's the link to the original project which Psystar ripped off for this?

Looks like it's the Chameleon project...