Apple pitches tablet as e-reader to Australian media - report

Comments

• Reply 61 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I want it to be waterproof, indestructible and light as a feather.

I want it to have a magical rainbow finish and produce ponies with laser beams coming out of their eyes.
  • Reply 62 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by star-fish View Post

I want it to have a magical rainbow finish and produce ponies with laser beams coming out of their eyes.

Don't you mean frickin' laser beams?
  • Reply 63 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

I SERIOUSLY hope that all that you said is exactly what's going on.

I'm surprised by the number of people who don't think so, who seem to think that Apple has spent all of this time developing an oversized iPhone.
  • Reply 64 of 92
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

Well, I think you aren't catching my point.

It's not about one or two splitted keyboards, I'm talking about ergonomy, if you're using a device with a 3"-4" screen and 120-180 gr weight (any smartphone) you cand hold it and write more or less conformtably .

But if you have a device with 8"-10" screen and 350-500 gr holding it by the base and type with the thumbs it's not ergonomical.

Working with a tablet, while possible, it's very unconfortable so my comment of a picture of someone typing with it in his legs while commuting

And I don't think you've caught my point. You haven't considered every possibility. For example, you haven't even considered holding it in landscape mode, or with a keyboard in any position other than the bottom. I've contended in the past that holding a tablet in and typing in portrait mode would be next to impossible due to the moment the tablet would inflict (threaten to flip out of your hands), but I was probably thinking of a larger device.

Size and weight do come into play with ergonomics, but they are far from the only factors. I suggested a split keyboard just to get you thinking beyond the input methods seen on the iPhone. Maybe a keyboard won't be the primary input method when you are on the go. Perhaps it will be handwriting recognition or voice input (unlikely because it makes you look like a dork), or something crazy like eye tracking software where you visually "press" each key (highly unlikely, but you never know, Apple does have patents similar to that concept). Perhaps it would be as simple as designing the interface so that minimal keyboard input is required for most things, and where keyboard input is required, auto-fill and predictive text will play a greater role. You have written it off without considering every angle.

Edit: Another crazy and outlandish idea would be to make the back of the tablet capacitive, allowing you to type with your fingers and complete gestures without letting go of the device with one hand. Regardless, I have little doubt that if this tablet comes out, your ergonomic concerns will have somehow been addressed.
  • Reply 65 of 92
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I'm surprised by the number of people who don't think so, who seem to think that Apple has spent all of this time developing an oversized iPhone.

Because despite their success with the iphone, Apple seems to be underwhelming lately. They basically phoned in that September iPod event.

And none of the rumors about component sources have mentioned anything special about the display they are going to use.

And trust me, besides all the talk about it being all about the software (which for the most part it is) the display technology is going to be critical for this device.

Perhaps as we get closer to the actual introduction the rumors about this device will get hotter just as the rumors for the original iphone got white hot right before the debut.

I'm really hoping Apple is able to impress us again.
  • Reply 66 of 92
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

Dissenting view:

There's now quite a bit of consumer experience with and exposure to e-readers such as the Kindle, the Sony products, the recently announced Nook and several others.

BTW, in my lengthy peroration above I did not mean to imply that an Apple Tablet would simply be a better e-book reader, intended to take over that small market segment currently shared by the Kindle and its several competitors. Rather it would be a general purpose media access device, including e-reader functionality, but also music and video playback, web browser and email. It could have some functionality to run apps, limited by the form factor.

I'd imagine something more like an oversized iPod Touch (not an iPhone), and definitely not an undersized (read crippled) laptop. Put an easel support behind it so that you could watch a movie while traveling. Include an Apple Remote.

Normally there would be no need for a physical keyboard. Any iPhone user will tell you that Apple's touchscreen virtual keyboard works surprisingly well for casual use. It would work even better when scaled up to a bigger screen, and a tablet only needs the amount of keyboard input necessary to control the device itself, or to compose emails and type URLs. Want to write that sequel to Remembrance of Things Past? Then get yourself a real computer.
  • Reply 67 of 92
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by star-fish View Post

As a fish, you should know that there is a laser component shortage, due to the popularity of the shark-mounted laser accessory.
  • Reply 68 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Because despite their success with the iphone, Apple seems to be underwhelming lately. They basically phoned in that September iPod event.

And none of the rumors about component sources have mentioned anything special about the display they are going to use.

And trust me, besides all the talk about it being all about the software (which for the most part it is) the display technology is going to be critical for this device.

Perhaps as we get closer to the actual introduction the rumors about this device will get hotter just as the rumors for the original iphone got white hot right before the debut.

I'm really hoping Apple is able to impress us again.

Apple is always underwhelming because the expectations are unreasonable. The nano got a lot better, and the macbooks and iMacs will sell incredibly well.
  • Reply 69 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Apple is always underwhelming because the expectations are unreasonable. The nano got a lot better, and the macbooks and iMacs will sell incredibly well.

Not to mention, they haven't introduced a major new product in a few years, which is about how much time we tend to see between releases of major new Apple products. In the interim, you get revisions, which aren't meant to be revolutionary -- this alone seems to shock and disappoint many. There's a lot of "what have you done for me lately?" out there, and unfortunately "lately" seems to be defined as within the last couple of weeks.

But you just wait until this product comes out. Then we'll get plenty of the other weird vibe: "this isn't what I wanted -- fail, fail, fail!"
  • Reply 70 of 92
    I'd vote for something with a screen size of about 5x7 inches 3/4 inch thick if need be thinner if possible...something like a paperback book.

And speaking of books that is another category in addition to the ones I mentioned before. An electronic book I can easily carry like a conventional paperback (or the newer oversized ones now that m eyes are aging) and that I can hi-lite an annotate as easily as I can with the old school paper book and a pen and hi-liter. If I could further pop up a key board and actually edit something (say if I was writing the book) would be nice too....none of that requires anything new techwize.

I agree what Apple probably will do is take all the available tech and try to integrate it into a premium device with an associated services ala itunes/amazon/att to make it a truly versatile device that while not radically different is better balanced more integrated and more flexible and yes probably more expensive, than all the current crop of netbooks, pdas, e-readers etc. with the option of wired, wireless, bluetooth and cellular connectivity and maybe phone too.
  • Reply 71 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

But you just wait until this product comes out. Then we'll get plenty of the other weird vibe: "this isn't what I wanted -- fail, fail, fail!"

Completely agree.
  • Reply 72 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

A little bit to add...

Newspapers and magazines have been shown the device to "woo" them over but remember the New York Times guy, called it a "Slate" device....

Remember when school students actually carried their own piece of "slate" chalkboard to do their work on...

So let's not rule out college students....

They are at the young and what's hip age regarding electronic gadgets and get them now, you'll have them for life.

And the Universities... First, didn't some schools make iPods and iTunes a part of enrollment.

http://www.wired.com/culture/lifesty.../2004/08/64768

Next, with the advent of the iPod touch and iPhone and app store things got a little more interesting going to a new college or university...

For playing back lectures, downloading multimedia, etc...

http://blog.taragana.com/e/2009/05/0...iversity-3529/

or

http://www.librarystuff.net/2009/08/...ne-ipod-touch/

“College students could soon be able to ditch their backpacks and put their textbooks into their shirt pockets thanks to a new program that will let them read their books using iPhones or iPod Touch devices.”

Just saying, a sleek little device that has a bigger screen then the iPhone and can be in a way right up there with the PC "netbook" market, could be a boom for Apple in the educational market...

Of course I could be wrong.

DigitalClips, Rot'nApple, and NeilM: I think you make good arguments for the potential of an Apple Tablet. But here are some counter-arguments:

1. Too expensive to justify: The iPhone costs about $600, which consumers pay through initial purchase price and mobile phone service plans (2-year contracts). The Apple Tablet would cost more, perhaps $800-1100. Maybe with a data plan from mobile phone service providers, the cost can be similarly spread out over 1 to 2 year contracts? I don't think the prices would be compelling enough for consumers. And although Apple has filed numerous patents (including advertisement inclusion), I don't think they would pursue those pricing models--negative customer reaction (selling out).

2. Assuming the first point, why would a consumer pay that much to get a dumbed-down laptop? Why not just get a MacBook/Pro, with its superior capabilities as a full laptop and full OS? And if touch-screen is so desirable, Apple could add it to the MacBook. Yes, weight would be the trade-off.

3. While e-readers do have their own small, niche markets, these do not seem to be growing exponentially, so why would Apple invest so much money in carving out a small niche? Even if you add various forms of content (textbooks, movies, music), it's still less than a full laptop, which could also provide the content. Mind you, I do think that textbooks will go digital in the near future, but won't be tied to a specific class of hardware.

4. Existing products fill the need. iPhones/smartphones excel in portability. Laptops provide full computing power and flexibility, while still affording some degree of portability.

5. Touch-screens are intended for light-duty input. I love my iPhone, but I wouldn't want to do much editing/typing on any smartphone (inefficient). A larger touchscreen is just as clumsy (types slower than hardware keyboard, gets dirty/greasy quickly, doesn't respond as expected...). Plus, touchscreens wear out fairly quickly (lose sensitivity) and need replacement--bad customer experience.

All of the above said, I look forward to Apple's innovations, even if I'm doubtful about an Apple Tablet's success in 2010.
  • Reply 73 of 92
    There's a time and a place for a keyboard. If you are sitting on a bus, airplane, or in a classroom, you can probably get along without one. But, you could use a keyboard at home, in your office, or in your dorm room.

The solution might be a dock. A dock could provide multiple functions. It could allow the use of a keyboard, either with a cord or wireless. It would recharge the tablet. It could put it into a vertical position for use as a desktop type of computer or to watch movies or television. Maybe the position could be adjustable. It could be a radio and alarm clock, etc... like iHome products. It could also provide dockage for your iphone and be a place where the tablet and iphone could sync information.

I don't think lack of a keyboard will be a problem.
  • Reply 74 of 92
    Quote:

Completely agree.

I feel like we're hearing it already -- Apple can't possibly deliver the product of my dreams at the price I'm willing to pay, so they've already failed.
  • Reply 75 of 92
    Well...now the itablet is imminant
  • Reply 76 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jaytr View Post

DigitalClips, Rot'nApple, and NeilM: I think you make good arguments for the potential of an Apple Tablet. But here are some counter-arguments:

1. Too expensive to justify: The iPhone costs about $600, which consumers pay through initial purchase price and mobile phone service plans (2-year contracts). The Apple Tablet would cost more, perhaps $800-1100. Maybe with a data plan from mobile phone service providers, the cost can be similarly spread out over 1 to 2 year contracts? I don't think the prices would be compelling enough for consumers. And although Apple has filed numerous patents (including advertisement inclusion), I don't think they would pursue those pricing models--negative customer reaction (selling out).

2. Assuming the first point, why would a consumer pay that much to get a dumbed-down laptop? Why not just get a MacBook/Pro, with its superior capabilities as a full laptop and full OS? And if touch-screen is so desirable, Apple could add it to the MacBook. Yes, weight would be the trade-off.

3. While e-readers do have their own small, niche markets, these do not seem to be growing exponentially, so why would Apple invest so much money in carving out a small niche? Even if you add various forms of content (textbooks, movies, music), it's still less than a full laptop, which could also provide the content. Mind you, I do think that textbooks will go digital in the near future, but won't be tied to a specific class of hardware.

4. Existing products fill the need. iPhones/smartphones excel in portability. Laptops provide full computing power and flexibility, while still affording some degree of portability.

5. Touch-screens are intended for light-duty input. I love my iPhone, but I wouldn't want to do much editing/typing on any smartphone (inefficient). A larger touchscreen simply becomes more clumsy. Plus, touchscreens wear out fairly quickly (lose sensitivity) and need replacement--bad customer experience.

All of the above said, I look forward to Apple's innovations, even if I'm doubtful about an Apple Tablet's success in 2010.

I think your vision of the tablet as a laptop replacement is where you go astray. I don't think the tablet will be designed to replace a laptop at all, but rather supplement one, and perhaps perform some tasks much more effectively.

For a student, I can see a tablet displaying notes they took in class as well as text while they work on a report on their laptop.

For someone in business. The laptop would become the mobile workstation that stayed in the hotel when you went to meetings and presentations with the tablet.

At home, the tablet would supplement your Apple TV experience (scroll movie listings without the menu popping up on the TV, read reviews, purchase the rental you are currently watching, etc.), as well as become the laptop internet device in front of the TV.

Next to any computer, it could become a secondary monitor/supplementary input device. etc. etc.

Of course your price argument is very valid, how much will people pay for such a device? I think only time will tell, but I don't think you are giving the tablet its due by referring to it as an underpowered laptop or an e-reader replacement. It won't replace all the functions of a laptop and it wont be intended to, but it will have some other tricks. It wont compete in the dedicated e-reader market, but the death of dedicated e-readers may come as a result of the tablets success.
  • Reply 77 of 92
    Quote:

I think your vision of the tablet as a laptop replacement is where you go astray. I don't think the tablet will be designed to replace a laptop at all, but rather supplement one, and perhaps perform some tasks much more effectively.

For a student, I can see a tablet displaying notes they took in class as well as text while they work on a report on their laptop.

For someone in business. The laptop would become the mobile workstation that stayed in the hotel when you went to meetings and presentations with the tablet.

At home, the tablet would supplement your Apple TV experience (scroll movie listings without the menu popping up on the TV, read reviews, purchase the rental you are currently watching, etc.), as well as become the laptop internet device in front of the TV.

Next to any computer, it could become a secondary monitor/supplementary input device. etc. etc.

Of course your price argument is very valid, how much will people pay for such a device? I think only time will tell, but I don't think you are giving the tablet its due by referring to it as an underpowered laptop or an e-reader replacement. It won't replace all the functions of a laptop and it wont be intended to, but it will have some other tricks. It wont compete in the dedicated e-reader market, but the death of dedicated e-readers may come as a result of the tablets success.

Agreed. This device will not be a laptop replacement if only because it's impossible for it to do some things even remotely as well as a laptop already does. The problem with most netbooks isn't that they fail to be useful but rather, by allowing for full laptop functionality, they invite use of the device for activities to which it's not suited, hence making for a disappointing experience.

I think whatever this new device from Apple will be designed to do, it will do it well. Anything the unit is lousy at, I suspect Apple will attempt to discourage the device's use for that activity.

I can see this tablet being very good for quite a few things which it will be designed to accommodate and not suited to others which Apple will not enable, no doubt being criticized initially for not including. By trying to do it all, the tablet would surely fail. It's not how Apple does things.
  • Reply 78 of 92
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

Agreed. This device will not be a laptop replacement if only because it's impossible for it to do some things even remotely as well as a laptop already does. The problem with most netbooks isn't that they fail to be useful but rather, by allowing for full laptop functionality, they invite use of the device for activities to which it's not suited, hence making for a disappointing experience.

I think whatever this new device from Apple will be designed to do, it will do it well. Anything the unit is lousy at, I suspect Apple will attempt to discourage the device's use for that activity.

I can see this tablet being very good for quite a few things which it will be designed to accommodate and not suited to others which Apple will not enable, no doubt being criticized initially for not including. By trying to do it all, the tablet would surely fail. It's not how Apple does things.

Those are interesting applications for a tablet. But despite tablet PCs being available for years, their market share has not increased dramatically. And I don't just chalk that up to Microsoft's lame GUI design.

Here's the problem: while the Apple Tablet may not be a simple replacement for an e-reader or a dumbed-down laptop/netbook, what applications would it have that you would part with $800-1100 (i.e., what is compelling enough for you to buy this, in addition to or as a replacement for your iPhone/MacBook/Wacom tablet/remote control)?

Students can buy a paper notepad for about one dollar. If they want to scan, they can--unlikely.

Businessmen/women taking notes on a tablet? Same as students--will use paper or possibly a laptop.

$800 remote control for your TV/media center? Only if you have money to burn.

10" to 13" secondary monitor for $800? I'd rather buy a real secondary monitor (21") for $200.

Even some combination of the above functions doesn't seem compelling to me to pay so much. Whether intended to replace the laptop/e-reader or not, the comparison will inevitably arise. I "get" that this is not intended to be a drop-in replacement for one or more devices, but show me the niche(s) that this fills for $800-1100. There is an existing market for the iPhone (smartphone) and the MacBook (laptop), but how will consumers be convinced that there is an intermediary-priced product that they "must have"? If you feel the Apple Tablet will cost less, please explain and suggest the design features (touchscreen, hardware keyboard, weight, etc.). The SW/HW design and functionality should improve upon what already exists. Example: iPhone vs. previous smartphones
  • Reply 79 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jaytr View Post

Those are interesting applications for a tablet. But despite tablet PCs being available for years, their market share has not increased dramatically. And I don't just chalk that up to Microsoft's lame GUI design.

Here's the problem: while the Apple Tablet may not be a simple replacement for an e-reader or a dumbed-down laptop/netbook, what applications would it have that you would part with $800-1100 (i.e., what is compelling enough for you to buy this, in addition to or as a replacement for your iPhone/MacBook/Wacom tablet/remote control)?

Students can buy a paper notepad for about one dollar. If they want to scan, they can--unlikely.

Businessmen/women taking notes on a tablet? Same as students--will use paper or possibly a laptop.

$800 remote control for your TV/media center? Only if you have money to burn.

10" to 13" secondary monitor for $800? I'd rather buy a real secondary monitor (21") for $200.

Even some combination of the above functions doesn't seem compelling to me to pay so much. Whether intended to replace the laptop/e-reader or not, the comparison will inevitably arise. I "get" that this is not intended to be a drop-in replacement for one or more devices, but show me the niche(s) that this fills for $800-1100. There is an existing market for the iPhone (smartphone) and the MacBook (laptop), but how will consumers be convinced that there is an intermediary-priced product that they "must have"? If you feel the Apple Tablet will cost less, please explain and suggest the design features (touchscreen, hardware keyboard, weight, etc.). The form factor and functionality should improve upon what already exists. Example: iPhone vs. previous smartphones

For a student, what you should really be considering is the weight of everything. The weight of multiple notebooks/binders, and the weight of multiple textbooks. Then factor in some cost saving on the electronic forms of textbooks, more if Apple allows chapter by chapter purchasing or textbook rental (for the semester) and the convenience of having all your materials with you all the time and not having to stand in lines in the bookstore. A tablet would also enable you to record every lecture hassle free.

There were so many times in my university career that I left things behind because they wouldn't fit in my bag, only to need them later in the day. I often longed for digital versions of my handwritten notes (easier to organize), searchable and more likely to keep afterwards (I have boxes of notes that I don't know what to do with). A tablet would have been amazing. I can't believe you brought up scanning, that is hilarious. The concept of virtually any Apple product is convenience. Apple doesn't make new tasks possible, they tend to make existing tasks feasible. For example, Apple didn't invent back ups, but time machine brought back ups to the (mac using) masses.

I'm not going to go through the rest of the ideas again (my list was far from inclusive anyway) because that was never my point. A tablet will represent a virtually endless list of potential functions and features. If there are enough features that are of use to you, it will be worthwhile.

Why have tablets not taken off despite years of existence?

1. They cost more than a notebook, not less (because they were notebooks with touch screens added)

2. Yes Microsofts lame GUI. They ran a cursor based GUI with some touch functionality tacked on.

Essentially, the tablets were expensive devices that weren't even good at being a tablet.

Now times are changing. Cheaper processors that are "powerful enough" are out there. Touch based UI's are being developed. Products such as the crunchpad and courier concepts and archos ever growing line of android/win 7 tablets are preparing the waters for the Apple tablets big splash. I fully believe that a tablet designed for touch from the ground up and designed to highlight its strengths instead of its weaknesses can succeed in todays market.

"The form factor and functionality should improve upon what already exists."

Of course, and a tablet would (for specific functions).

PS. Why stop at two monitors? The tablet could simply become a third monitor/input device. You are for whatever reason, looking for reasons why it won't work instead of looking for reasons why it could. I guess it is easier to be the skeptic.

Edit: Sorry if I'm ranting. I just find it frustrating that an unreleased product with unreleased specifications is already labeled as a failed initiative by some. Especially since it is a device that I see huge potential in. Potential not yet limited by specifications. I fully understand that most of my ideas (many of which are not recorded in text) will not be implemented, but I find it a much more fun and challenging mental exercise to design what you could see a tablet doing for you than nitpicking what it can't do for you based on existing products.
  • Reply 80 of 92
    There won't be a tablet. This site might as well be called Mac Rumors or GullibleFanBioz.com