Apple pitches tablet as e-reader to Australian media - report

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 92
    Always nice to hear from a true authority.
  • Reply 82 of 92
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Always nice to hear from a true authority.

• Reply 83 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Man, I can't wait to buy a Tablet just so I can buy some Apple iTunes Cocktails-- NOT!!

I want a fully functional device or fugettaboudet!

...and they keep the proportions similar to the iPod Touch or iPhone, a $600.00 - 700.00 device that play music and video, has any kind of map/GPS function, and touch-based controls is going to find its way right to that double-DIN space in the dash of my car, and act as an ass-kicking front end to nice Alpine amplifier. A company like Alpine will probably make a nice snap-in fixture, so the tablet can be removed like the present day face plates.

I want four of those the day they come out
  • Reply 84 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jaytr View Post

Those are interesting applications for a tablet. But despite tablet PCs being available for years, their market share has not increased dramatically. And I don't just chalk that up to Microsoft's lame GUI design.

Here's the problem: while the Apple Tablet may not be a simple replacement for an e-reader or a dumbed-down laptop/netbook, what applications would it have that you would part with $800-1100 (i.e., what is compelling enough for you to buy this, in addition to or as a replacement for your iPhone/MacBook/Wacom tablet/remote control)?

Students can buy a paper notepad for about one dollar. If they want to scan, they can--unlikely.

Businessmen/women taking notes on a tablet? Same as students--will use paper or possibly a laptop.

$800 remote control for your TV/media center? Only if you have money to burn.

10" to 13" secondary monitor for $800? I'd rather buy a real secondary monitor (21") for $200.

Even some combination of the above functions doesn't seem compelling to me to pay so much. Whether intended to replace the laptop/e-reader or not, the comparison will inevitably arise. I "get" that this is not intended to be a drop-in replacement for one or more devices, but show me the niche(s) that this fills for $800-1100. There is an existing market for the iPhone (smartphone) and the MacBook (laptop), but how will consumers be convinced that there is an intermediary-priced product that they "must have"? If you feel the Apple Tablet will cost less, please explain and suggest the design features (touchscreen, hardware keyboard, weight, etc.). The SW/HW design and functionality should improve upon what already exists. Example: iPhone vs. previous smartphones

If Apple is looking to introduce a device that can do more or less what the Touch does, only with the added advantage of a larger screen, what's wrong with that?

As Apple has pointed out in its most recent pitch for the Touch, the device has grown into a pocket computer. Media player, gaming platform, reader, browser, organizer. All useful stuff and all stuff that would be better on a device with a larger screen. Opting for a larger screen in such a device is a no-brainer next step. Avoid the trap of going with too large a screen and it's all good. The device I have in mind, by the way, is nowhere close to being in the $800 to $1,100 range. A MacBook Pro, in the U.S. will now cost you as little as $1,200. As convenient as a $1.000 tablet might be, if I can have a MacBook for about the same money, forget the tablet. I can live with the inconvenience, such as it is, of using the MacBook because the payoff is you get a legit, full-function conputer.

For this tablet to fill a niche that needs filling, it has to come in closer to $500 than $1,000 and not pretend to be more than it can handle being. I imagine Apple could have brought to market a $1,000 tablet more than a year ago. But there's no market for such a device. On the other hand, a $500-$700 tablet that is a great media player, a fine reader, a decent browser, dynamite gaming platform, etc. Now that's a device whose time has come. That machine, I can imagine Apple looking to unleash. A 10-inch laptop in tablet form, not so much.
  • Reply 85 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Note the date and time you said this

I suspect this is not ahead of its time simply because the iPhone has already doe the paradigm shifting. I think the consumers will eat this up.

exactly. you took the words out of my mouth.
  • Reply 86 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

No, sometimes bigger is not better. How can you type in a virtual keyboard in a 10" device?

hold it. lay it down on a surface. much like I write this on my iPhone laying it flat on the arm of the sofa.
  • Reply 87 of 92
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

No, sometimes bigger is not better. How can you type in a virtual keyboard in a 10" device?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

hold it. lay it down on a surface. much like I write this on my iPhone laying it flat on the arm of the sofa.

We know the iPhone OS keybaord patents came to fruition so why not their other virtual keybaord patents?
    I think this last one would be great for holding the device with two hands. If it’s meant to be versatile, perhaps it can sense how you are holding it and adapt the keyboard layout to fit your needs. It is virtual, after all.
  • Reply 88 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Because despite their success with the iphone, Apple seems to be underwhelming lately. They basically phoned in that September iPod event.

And none of the rumors about component sources have mentioned anything special about the display they are going to use.

And trust me, besides all the talk about it being all about the software (which for the most part it is) the display technology is going to be critical for this device.

Perhaps as we get closer to the actual introduction the rumors about this device will get hotter just as the rumors for the original iphone got white hot right before the debut.

I'm really hoping Apple is able to impress us again.

you are right in that display tec will be critical. but with colour eink around the corner or even flexeble grayscale eink such as the plastic logic one, it doesn't mean apple have to get it 100% perfect first time out. A good pixel count oleophobic led screen can be a good interim for the time being whilst other screen tec evolves that apple can use in the future. If they get the form, software and ergonomics right, the device is pretty much set. I ve been an ardent supporter of eink and have three such devices, and I really prefer them eye strain wise than anything else but I ll be more than happy with the no eink iteration by apple seeing as I will be getting a fully funtional computer to read on browse have my music on etc, plus every other useful iPhone app in a form factor that you can actually use the app with big clear legible letters. to all of us heavy iPhone/touch users is there anyone who didn't wish we had all the facilities therein but in a larger form factor? I am sure everyone at one point or the other has wished for a larger iPhone screen model.

As I ve said, I have never been more excited about another product launch. This will be huge. It will redefine computing much as the mac and the iPhone did. There is no doubt on my mind this product will be truely revolutionary and will propel apple to far greater new heights. Absolutely no doubt abou that.
  • Reply 89 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I want it to be waterproof, indestructible and light as a feather.

You forgot about how it has to be thin as a sheet of paper and can be rolled up like a fruit rollup... and it smells terrific!
  • Reply 90 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

We know the iPhone OS keybaord patents came to fruition so why not their other virtual keybaord patents?
    I think this last one would be great for holding the device with two hands. If it?s meant to be versatile, perhaps it can sense how you are holding it and adapt the keyboard layout to fit your needs. It is virtual, after all.

excellent post sol., as per usual. Very exciting reading, I am digging in the links with immense pleasure!!
  • Reply 91 of 92
    Quote:

I suspect this is not ahead of its time simply because the iPhone has already doe the paradigm shifting

Quite correct.

An iPhone with a 10 inch screen. Add an extra couple of hundred. £495-£695?

I can't see it being more than the entry Macbook. I think Apple (my guess) is aiming for under the laptop Macbook market. So, less than £700, I hope.

As thin as the iPhone but 10 inches? If one company can do it? Apple can. Battery life is going to be interesting. But I guess we'll see.

It's all eyes on San Fran'. Isn't someone going to do a 'count down' until 'iSlate' thread?

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 92 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

You forgot about how it has to be thin as a sheet of paper and can be rolled up like a fruit rollup... and it smells terrific!

and does your washing up when youre out and irons your clothes in the morning and makes your toast just the way you like it. and of course reads bed time stories to you when you go to sleep (thanks to alex that last one may actually be possible ^_^) oh and it should only be 19.95