TomTom Car Kit, navigation software will not work with iPod touch

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2014
The forthcoming TomTom Car Kit navigation dock will not enable GPS functionality for the corresponding App Store software on the iPod touch and first-generation iPhone.

Company officials confirmed to AppleInsider Wednesday that although the Car Kit dock is compatible with all iPhone models, the TomTom application will only work with the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 3G -- even with the dock connected to a first-generation iPhone or iPod touch. Since it appeared for order on the Apple Store last week, the hardware's Web page has read: "Note: The TomTom app for iPhone is not included with this TomTom Car Kit. The Car Kit dock is compatible with all iPhone models, but the Car Kit app only works with iPhone 3GS and iPhone 3G."

When asked whether the application could be updated to allow it to work with the iPod touch and first-generation iPhone, a company spokesman simply said that TomTom has not made any "public announcements."

The news is a change from previous reports, which suggested that the hardware kit with its integrated GPS receiver would allow navigation functionality on devices other than the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 3G.

The Car Kit was expected to arrive this summer, but was delayed until October without any specific reason given. Given that the $119.95 hardware is listed as shipping in two to three weeks from the Apple Store, it would appear that the October deadline will also be missed.

The hardware is not necessary to use the TomTom navigation software that is currently available in the iPhone App Store, but it will amplify the GPS signal for the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS. The dock is also said to be secure, have a superior speaker, and allow for easy charging and hands-free calling. The application and Car Kit are sold separately.

The TomTom iPhone mount will boost the device's GPS reception.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    It sounds like they are having trouble getting GPS to work via the 30-pin connector. They’d be remiss to not get it working.

The potential for a great GPS app to run on the iPhone OS is there, but Apple has limited the way it works that I don’t want to have my phone as my primary GPS unit.
  • Reply 2 of 34
    That's some severe back-pedalling and quite a disappointment. Though, to be honest, it didn't seem like a such a great value for the prices they're asking.
  • Reply 3 of 34
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    Not really a reason to buy it now then. Any window mount will put your iphone 3G or 3GS in the perfect place for an excellent signal and for a tiny fraction of the cost.
  • Reply 4 of 34
    I was so excited initially about the TomTom app and adapter, but boy has it been a disappointment in terms of COST and now compatibility. I bought the Navigon because it launched first and never regretted it. Now it looks like the Google Nav app if released to the iPhone, will blow both of them away. I may end up using Navigon only when traveling in areas of no cell coverage.
  • Reply 5 of 34
    The guy in that picture seems to be driving on the wrong side of the road...
  • Reply 6 of 34
    Deleted.
  • Reply 7 of 34
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It sounds like they are having trouble getting GPS to work via the 30-pin connector. They?d be remiss to not get it working.

The potential for a great GPS app to run on the iPhone OS is there, but Apple has limited the way it works that I don?t want to have my phone as my primary GPS unit.

My guess is that the ability to work with the touch was going to be limited to the newest touches, but when Apple changed the recently released touch upgrade at the last minute (eliminating the camera, changing the OS) something changed that prevented the car kit from working with it. You'll notice that the car kit was originally stated, by TomTom, to support the touch; and that their backpedaling on that statement started soon after the rumors of Apple having trouble with the new touch hardware.

Perhaps when Apple finally sorts out the hardware problems and releases the next touch upgrade the car kit will once again be supported.
  • Reply 8 of 34
    sipsip Posts: 210member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eh270 View Post

The guy in that picture seems to be driving on the wrong side of the road...

Nah, he's just driving a LHD car in the UK...
  • Reply 9 of 34
    That's a deal-breaker folks!
  • Reply 10 of 34
    you guys, don't listen to PR-shit.

the carkit DOES work with the iPhone 2G and it even works with other GPS apps like navigon.

check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71cGSFVwu1E

it is german, but basicly what he does is, using the GPS with an iPhone 2G.

with the navigon and the built-in Maps (the tomtom software wasn't out by the time he tried it out)
  • Reply 11 of 34
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

The forthcoming TomTom Car Kit navigation dock will not enable GPS functionality for the corresponding App Store software on the iPod touch and first-generation iPhone.

1.) iPod Touch- Who thought it would? Steve Jobs himself said the Touch is primarily a GAMING device. Didn't AI get the memo?

2.) iPhone-And here's the exact proof why you never buy a 1st generation Apple product- EVER.

Peace.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    Here's the deal:

The iPod Touch and first generation iPhone DO NOT have GPS receivers...

Therefore applications that require GPS resolution location services do not work on them.

Here's the basics of how location services works on iPhone OS devices.

You location will be derived from three sources depending on the hardware available on the device.

1. Cell phone tower triangulation, good for about a 1000 meter accuracy and available on the original iPhone, 3G and 3GS. This only works if you have cellular radio contact with at least 3 cell towers

2. WiFi proximity, good for about 100 meter accuracy and available on all iPhones and iPod Touches. But this only works if your in the proximity of a geocoded WiFi hotspot. Just an FYI, those funny little google cars with camera masts on top that take pictures for Street View also sniff out and geocode WiFi hotspots that they pass. This is the reason why you maps application works indoors.

3. GPS. Good for about 10 meter resolution anywhere in the world, so long as you have a clear view of the sky. Only available on iPhone 3G and 3GS. This is what Tom Tom is dependent on.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    Does any of this even matter any more?

With Google Navigation coming for free in the near future, who is going to buy other Navigation Apps for the iPhone anymore?
  • Reply 14 of 34
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Can I get a standalone GPS for the Touch? If so will the app work with that?
  • Reply 15 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mikefrompluto View Post

Here's the deal:

Therefore applications that require GPS resolution location services do not work on them.

You location will be derived from three sources depending on the hardware available on the device.

1. Cell phone tower triangulation, good for about a 1000 meter accuracy and available on the original iPhone, 3G and 3GS. This only works if you have cellular radio contact with at least 3 cell towers

2. WiFi proximity, good for about 100 meter accuracy and available on all iPhones and iPod Touches. But this only works if your in the proximity of a geocoded WiFi hotspot. Just an FYI, those funny little google cars with camera masts on top that take pictures for Street View also sniff out and geocode WiFi hotspots that they pass. This is the reason why you maps application works indoors.

3. GPS. Good for about 10 meter resolution anywhere in the world, so long as you have a clear view of the sky. Only available on iPhone 3G and 3GS. This is what Tom Tom is dependent on.

The TomTom car kit for iPhone reportedly contains its own, separate GPS chip. Would that not obviate the need for the device inserted into it to have its own chip? So why, even though "The iPod Touch and first generation iPhone DO NOT have GPS receivers" would they need one to function in a device that DOES have a GPS chip?
  • Reply 16 of 34
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Is this surprising? It shouldn't be.

I seem to remember Tom Tom saying that it would ASSIST the GPS in the iPhone.
  • Reply 17 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mikefrompluto View Post

Here's the deal:

Too bad that even with you simplified explanation, a lot here won't read it, understand or admit that they don't.

On a further note, if the TomTom Car Kit requires mounting on the windshield, usage in place such as California*, Minnesota* and now the province of Ontario, Canada will have problems, i.e., windshield mounting, for example, is illegal.

* California Vehicle Code Section 26708 (a) (1) provides that ?No persons shall drive any motor vehicle with an object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows.? Drivers in California should not use a suction mount on their windshield, side or rear windows.

Note: this section of the California Vehicle Code applies to anyone driving in California, not just California residents.

Minnesota State Legislature Statutes Section 169.71, subdivision 1, section 2 provides that ?A person shall not drive or operate with any objects suspended between the driver and the windshield other than sun visors and rearview mirrors and electronic toll collection devices.?

Note: this Minnesota Stature applies to anyone driving in Minnesota, not just Minnesota residents.

http://iphone.tomtom.com/en-us/faq.html
  • Reply 18 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Longsilver View Post

The TomTom car kit for iPhone reportedly contains its own, separate GPS chip. Would that not obviate the need for the device inserted into it to have its own chip? So why, even though "The iPod Touch and first generation iPhone DO NOT have GPS receivers" would they need one to function in a device that DOES have a GPS chip?

There are reports that the original iPhone will work. http://www.9to5mac.com/tomtom-iPod-t...riginal-iPhone

Obviously, if it does, it would be limited relative to the capabilities of the 2nd generation and certainly the latest 3GS iteration. I would hope that any dummy could figure that out.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    Two comments:

First: I can see no reason to buy this, as they've priced themselves out of the market. For the price of the mount alone, I can buy a TomTom 140S (I did) which has the same feature set, PLUS text-to-speech for street names. The combined price of the mount with the application is just too high for limited functionality.

Second: to the poster quoting CA regulations, those rules were amended last year, with the changes going into effect on 1/1/09. Since then it is permissible to mount a GPS device on the windshield in CA so long as it is in either the lower left corner or lower right corner of the windshield. It is still not allowed to mount it in the center as it could block the forward view, but I was following a cop the other day who had it there. Go figure.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    Wow... so miuch here saying "it never was going to" or "it only assists". I looked back through news archives since theTomTom Car Kit has been available 9n Europe for awhile already, and sure enough, they originally stated, unequivocally, that the kit contained its own GPS receiver that woud (a) boost the built-in GPS sensitivity pf the iPhone and (b) ADD GPS FUNCTIONALITY TO THE iPOD TOUCH! Some articles even stated that when the car kit was used, the buit-in GPS on the iPhone was bypassed completey, which means that there should be no technical reason why it can't work with the Touch. That was stated WAY before the 3rd Generation Touch was announced... so one has to assume that they thought it could work. More than likely, though, Apple (and, maybe, AT&T) came down hard on TomTom to remove that compatibility. After all, AT&T is about to introduce the Garmin GPS phone, and if people could simply use their Touch for GPS it sure could cannibalize sales of both iPhones and the new Garmin phone.