Mac OS X 10.6.2 to update nearly 150 Snow Leopard components

Comments

• Reply 121 of 168
    My Lexmark stopped scanning, but a quick search found a software update so that's fixed.

But Preview seems to hang the Finder a lot.

Could be my Flip4MacWMV, but it does this on non-WMV files.

Anyway, I updated that and I haven't gone as far as uninstalling it too see if the problem is native to Snow Leopard.

Never had an issue in 10.5 with Flip4MacWMV.

Stable but I'll bet by 10.6.4 it will be perfect!
  • Reply 122 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Care to prove? No. Leopard was never "more problematic", than SL. It has more to do with complaints on all forums that with my personal experience.

Yeah, all those install issues never happened. What version of leopard did you start with? 10.5.4. or so?
  • Reply 123 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Yeah, all those install issues never happened. What version of leopard did you start with? 10.5.4. or so?

Fanbois don't count personal accounts. Why should I bother to? Just use comboupdates.

I sure started with 10.5.0. There were issues with update packages, not with OS.

Look at update schedules. 10.5.0 was replaced with 10.5.1 in 20 days, then it was working acceptably for 3 months until replaced with 10.5.2. 10.6.0 was replaced with 10.6.1 in 10 days, and it still is worth nothing, so 10.6.2 is urged.
  • Reply 124 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmac1036 View Post

ok, not to troll, but this is stupid anyway... almost none of the displays in the consumer market right now refresh faster than 60hz, so +60 fps is a waste.

not to mention you are not going to see a difference over 30 or 60 anway, that's what broadcast tv runs at.

60 fps is all you need, turn up the detail rendering & enjoy the game.

Not quite...believe it or not, Counter Strike 1.6 @ 60 fps is not good enough. And if you play it @ 30 fps it's even worse! The mouse even starts the get unresponsive. Trust me, you can tell the difference. When you have 80 fps or more, that's when you start having smooth performance out of it. Counter Strike 1.6 always was a odd game for performance...

As for WoW, 60 fps is good, I just don't know how it will behave in major cities...
  • Reply 125 of 168
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I've actually been a little disapointed with Snow Leopard. Whilst things for me have not been as bad as the first poster suggests, there have been issues. I had bother with my printer, Safari crashes quite a lot, I get the beachball quite a bit when I open new Finder windows. I've not seen the guest account/deleted data issue, but it's a concern to me..

Your sentiments sum it up for me too - a little disappointing:

1. Print issues with airport express. Worked in Leopard, not in SL. Finally had to set up an old mac as a print server to get it working. Even with the new printer drivers.

2. Lots of random safari crashes

3. Constant pop up messages about various kext files being incompatible. I had 12 in a row yesterday.

4. Does not seem that some developers had enough time to get their software compatible and seemed to be caught by surprise that it was released earlier than anticipated.

5. Had a lot of permissions issues

6. Quicktime X is a step backwards.

It has not affected me but the user account deleting everything is a serious issue. If MS had done something like this they would have been mercilessly mocked on this forum. Apple should release a fix for this as soon as they figure out a solution and not wait for the 10.6.2 release.
  • Reply 126 of 168
    It says USB... I hope this fixes the random USB disk unmounting that I've been experiencing. I'll be in a the middle of a movie or listening to an album... BOOP. It tells me I didn't properly unmount the disk. I DIDN'T UNMOUNT IT AT ALL. It's driving me crazy.
  • Reply 127 of 168
    amdahlamdahl Posts: 100member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ilogic View Post

it's $30 and it's about paving the way to 64bit

just some perspective

The way to 64-bit was paved in 10.5. Try again.
  • Reply 128 of 168
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member
    Quote:

what kind of accts are people having issues with - IMAP or POP?

just set up my gmail acct this week. no issues so far, but I only used the web interface. unless you have a good IMAP acct, usually not a good idea to use 2 clients. 1 client setup & the web interface is usually worked out the best for me.

I've had this problem ? not a very serious one, but a minor annoyance ? and the account was/is an IMAP. It seems to be self correcting: if I ignore it then on the next sync with the server the duplicates are no longer there. I'm sure it will be corrected soon.

As a separate note: my impression is that the number of trolls on this forum is increasing. I am not implying that everyone who reports a problem is a troll ? after all, that is what forums are for. But there seems to be an increase in nonsense and worse, vigorously expressed nonsense.

That said this is still the best forum on Mac issues around.
  • Reply 129 of 168
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrkoolaid View Post

What is all of this complaining about? I personally find Snow Leopard to be the best bang for $29 I've ever spent.

hello
  • Reply 130 of 168
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bulk001 View Post

Your sentiments sum it up for me too - a little disappointing:

1. Print issues with airport express. Worked in Leopard, not in SL. Finally had to set up an old mac as a print server to get it working. Even with the new printer drivers.

2. Lots of random safari crashes

3. Constant pop up messages about various kext files being incompatible. I had 12 in a row yesterday.

4. Does not seem that some developers had enough time to get their software compatible and seemed to be caught by surprise that it was released earlier than anticipated.

5. Had a lot of permissions issues

6. Quicktime X is a step backwards.

It has not affected me but the user account deleting everything is a serious issue. If MS had done something like this they would have been mercilessly mocked on this forum. Apple should release a fix for this as soon as they figure out a solution and not wait for the 10.6.2 release.

I haven't had one kext message. This must be on specific user configs.

Developers have had a lot of time but then again they really can't ge a whole lot done until

they have the RC.

Not many permissions issues here

Quicktime X is a step back in many ways but that was done in order to move forward without the burden of legacy.
  • Reply 131 of 168
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:

60 fps is all you need, turn up the detail rendering & enjoy the game.

But the lower the framerate, the smaller your virtual penis!

• Reply 132 of 168
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Actually, no. First of all, the default upgrade option for Snow Leopard is effectively the same as the old Archive and Install, in that it creates an entirely new System folder.

Um, no it didn't.

Quote:

It also segregates (disables) kernel extensions which it doesn't recognize.

It will do that and segregate known incompatible programs - but that's far from the same as an archive and install.

Quote:

Sort of. It's now the default method. Which only makes the mythical "clean install" that much less useful.

There is no "sort of" - it isn't the default method. Aside from actually creating a duplicate system folder (which the default install of SL does not - I've upgraded five Mac's now from a Mini, to a MacBook, to an iMac, MacBook Pro and last my Mac Pro and none have a Previous System Folder in their root) Archive and Install also prompts you as to which accounts to move over. There is no equivalent to Archive and Install that I have been able to find in SL, and your assertion misses the mark as well.

And there is nothing mythical about a clean install - wipe the drive clean and install, then use Migration assistant to bring stuff back from backup. Not near as convenient as archive and install, but pretty close to performing the same action. Archive and Install was one of the nicest features of the Mac OS X installer. I understand they rewrote the installer for 10.6, and while the ability to pick up from an interrupted install is a nice parlor trick, the functionality of Archive and Install was much more useful. I've never had an install crash on me or the power go out in the middle of an install - and even if it did, it's not like it's a big deal to start over. It's not like you install on a weekly, monthly or even annual basis. However, I would use Archive and Install from time to time and it was handy functionality. Here's to hoping it returns.
  • Reply 133 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Um, no it didn't.

I does, but the old one is automatically deleted.

Quote:

It will do that and segregate known incompatible programs - but that's far from the same as an archive and install.

No, it does more than that. It actually segregates suspect kernel extensions, just as I said.

Quote:

There is no "sort of" - it isn't the default method. Aside from actually creating a duplicate system folder (which the default install of SL does not - I've upgraded five Mac's now from a Mini, to a MacBook, to an iMac, MacBook Pro and last my Mac Pro and none have a Previous System Folder in their root) Archive and Install also prompts you as to which accounts to move over. There is no equivalent to Archive and Install that I have been able to find in SL, and your assertion misses the mark as well.

Yes, it is essentially the default method now, even if it's not described that way in the installer. You could look this up if you don't believe me.

Quote:

And there is nothing mythical about a clean install - wipe the drive clean and install, then use Migration assistant to bring stuff back from backup. Not near as convenient as archive and install, but pretty close to performing the same action. Archive and Install was one of the nicest features of the Mac OS X installer. I understand they rewrote the installer for 10.6, and while the ability to pick up from an interrupted install is a nice parlor trick, the functionality of Archive and Install was much more useful. I've never had an install crash on me or the power go out in the middle of an install - and even if it did, it's not like it's a big deal to start over. It's not like you install on a weekly, monthly or even annual basis. However, I would use Archive and Install from time to time and it was handy functionality. Here's to hoping it returns.

The "clean install" is mythical because no such option actually exists. Maybe you think I'm just being pedantic, but as I said before, I pity the poor novice user who gets this advice because they will be confused if they try to do it. That's only my first argument against the so-called clean install.
  • Reply 134 of 168
    OK, enough BS. When the heck is SL actually gonna be *better* than Leopard? Like in, more stable and faster? Because I'm still on 10.4.11 and it's been rock solid for me, and very fast. Meanwhile I'm reading tons and tons and tons of reports wrt. SL about random crashes, kernel panics and sluggishness compared to Leopard.

I'm gonna be buying a new quad iMac come January 2010. Do you think SL will finally be ready for prime time by then? I suppose the iMac will come with 10.6.1 or at best 10.6.2 preinstalled. But maybe 10.6.3 or even 10.6.4 will be out, and I can upgrade. I want to switch from 10.4.11, but only if I can switch to something stable and FASTER!!

So anyone want to speculate when SL might be rock stable and FASTER? January 2010, February? March? 10.6.3? .4? .5?
  • Reply 135 of 168
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineWine View Post

OK, enough BS. When the heck is SL actually gonna be *better* than Leopard? Like in, more stable and faster? Because I'm still on 10.4.11 and it's been rock solid for me, and very fast. Meanwhile I'm reading tons and tons and tons of reports wrt. SL about random crashes, kernel panics and sluggishness compared to Leopard.

I'm gonna be buying a new quad iMac come January 2010. Do you think SL will finally be ready for prime time by then? I suppose the iMac will come with 10.6.1 or at best 10.6.2 preinstalled. But maybe 10.6.3 or even 10.6.4 will be out, and I can upgrade. I want to switch from 10.4.11, but only if I can switch to something stable and FASTER!!

So anyone want to speculate when SL might be rock stable and FASTER? January 2010, February? March? 10.6.3? .4? .5?

As a general rule, the last point update of the last OS will be more stable than the current OS

That said, SL is the most stable version of OS X out of the gate. Nothing was forced to meet a self defined deadline. In fact, it was released early, not late. I've been usingban testing it since the first developer Beta. I can say that it is the most stable version of the OS X at v10.x.1.

That said, there are quirks with any OS and while I'm sure most of te complaints are legit, there is always a degree of user error. Overall, less with SL as it sandboxes plugins it doesn't recognize or deems incompatible. The problem with rapid growth and the internet is that users with problems will be very vocal and the number of users with problems will grow, even if the percentage with problems decreases.

I say create a 10GB partition with Disk Utility or install on and external drive (even a USB flash drive or SD card) and test it out. It's only $29 or less.
  • Reply 136 of 168
    I have no "stability" issues with Snow Leopard, and I doubt that a significant number of other users do either. Like all of the versions of OSX going back many years, I've never seen it crash or become unresponsive. My issue with Snow Leopard is that Apple revised Preview in a way that broke its word search function completely. I don't know how they managed to wipe out one of Preview's most useful features so utterly, but they did. With all this talk about vague or theoretical problems with Snow Leopard, I don't know why nobody wants to discuss a real one.
  • Reply 137 of 168
    Quote:

My issue with Snow Leopard is that Apple revised Preview in a way that broke its word search function completely. I don't know how they managed to wipe out one of Preview's most useful features so utterly, but they did. With all this talk about vague or theoretical problems with Snow Leopard, I don't know why nobody wants to discuss a real one.

I have no such problem. Just tested it with a PDF. Might want to trash the preferences, then use Pacifist to reinstall it. I have no idea what other components it may rely on. Good luck!
  • Reply 138 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I have no such problem. Just tested it with a PDF. Might want to trash the preferences, then use Pacifist to reinstall it. I have no idea what other components it may rely on. Good luck!

It takes a really big PDF to see this issue, which is why I suspect Apple missed it, and why other users aren't noticing it. One of the other complaints I've heard from others is that a Spotlight search no longer automatically highlights word instances when PDF files are opened in Preview, as it did in Leopard. Many users are complaining on Apple's support forums about the loss of this very useful feature. Maybe if I'm feeling patient I'll try your suggestion, but I have a very strong suspicion that it won't help. Apple made major changes to Preview in Snow Leopard, some of them a couple of steps backwards. I'd use the old version, if I could.
  • Reply 139 of 168
    Quote:

It takes a really big PDF to see this issue, which is why I suspect Apple missed it, and why other users aren't noticing it. One of the other complaints I've heard from others is that a Spotlight search no longer automatically highlights word instances when PDF files are opened in Preview, as it did in Leopard. Many users are complaining on Apple's support forums about the loss of this very useful feature. Maybe if I'm feeling patient I'll try your suggestion, but I have a very strong suspicion that it won't help. Apple made major changes to Preview in Snow Leopard, some of them a couple of steps backwards. I'd use the old version, if I could.

That would clearly be their fault and their problem. Have you reported this to Apple?
  • Reply 140 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That would clearly be their fault and their problem. Have you reported this to Apple?

Yup, but that always feels like shouting down a well.