Mac OS X 10.6.2 to update nearly 150 Snow Leopard components

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple this week is equipping developers with a new beta of Mac OS X 10.6.2, the second maintenance and security update to the company's new Snow Leopard operating system that will perform upgrades to nearly 150 components.

The latest beta, labeled Mac OS X 10.6.2 build 10C535, comes one week after the Mac maker issued build 10C531 to address issues with Snow Leopard's Dock, ColorSync, QuartzCore and graphic driver components.

This week, Apple has asked developers to continue to provide feedback on graphics drivers while also tasking them with focusing their evaluation efforts on TrackPad preferences and the ability to create virtual machines, people familiar with the matter say.

As was the case with last week's beta, documentation accompanying build 10C535 reportedly lists no known issues. And while Apple has temporarily ceased its practice of providing a running list of bug fixes that will come baked into the impending release, it did identify 148 components that have seen tweaks.

Among those components are AppleBacklight, Battery Menu, Dictionary, Expose, FileSync, Family Controls, Fonts, Front Row, HFS, Inkwell, iPhoto, MobileMe, OpenCL, Parental Controls, QuickTime, Screen Sharing, Spell Checker, Spotlight, Time Machine, and USB.

In bare bones Delta form, Mac OS X 10.6.2 currently weighs in at roughly 480MB. It's expected for release sometime next month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 168
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Hopefully, this a release candidate that we'll see released to the public in the next few days.
  • Reply 2 of 168
    Hopefully they'll be bug fixes for mail. Even the Apple Boards are full of problems. My mail constantly downloads thousands of repeat emails. It apparently happens when 2 mail clients are checking the server at the same time.
  • Reply 3 of 168
    Battery menu. Good. Odd how it shows it taking 30 minutes left to charge one second, then over an hour the next, then back down to 45 minutes. The test builds of SL and 10.5.8 never exhibited this behavior.
  • Reply 4 of 168
    From the first Mac OS X....

You notice improvement and enhancement.... So far Leopard is the best, and Snow Leopard sucks...

Crash all the time, and make everything else crash...

And has become like Microsoft Windows, whopping tons of memory for nothing....

Worst OS by far....

Leopard is the best....
  • Reply 5 of 168
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by georgetang;

You notice improvement and enhancement.... So far Leopard is the best, and Snow Leopard sucks...

Worst OS by far....

Leopard is the best....

I completely disagree.
  • Reply 6 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by georgetang View Post

Worst OS by far....

Leopard is the best....

I won't go as far as you, but I have to say I'm not really impressed either by it's stability and performance. Clean install too.
  • Reply 7 of 168
    bucetabuceta Posts: 141member
    Quote:

Worst OS by far....

Leopard is the best....

You should ask your doctor of Prozac is right for you.
  • Reply 8 of 168
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    It'll be a good Christmas present for my Mac to get the bug fixes. Though I haven't had an issue for awhile now.
  • Reply 9 of 168
    Quote:

Worst OS by far....

Leopard is the best....

That's just plain wrong. Snow Leopard is the best Mac OS so far.
  • Reply 10 of 168
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Worst OS by far....

Leopard is the best....

I haven?t had any of your issues and I?ve been using SL since the first developer builds (not including the preview release). I?ve found it quite stable and has better performance over Leopard. If you are having crashes you might want to look elsewhere for the problem or try a fresh install.
  • Reply 11 of 168
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    Quote:

Worst OS by far....

Leopard is the best....

You understand that crashes of individual third party applications cannot be attributed to the OS, do you?

That said, what exactly is your problem?

"Crash all the time, and make everything else crash..." is just vague. Do you see kernel panics on a regular basis? A particular app crashes? What exactly? Have you checked for faulty memory modules or a problematic logic board? Do you use shitty third party haxies and/or APE?

Snow Leopard has been rock solid for me. (Not strange, considering that was its' stated goal).

And from reading the forums I follow, including Apple support lists, it has been rock solid for most people. The complaints I see is a magnitude below of what was for Leopard 10.5 to 10.5.1.
  • Reply 12 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I haven?t had any of your issues and I?ve been using SL since the first developer builds (not including the preview release). I?ve found it quite stable and has better performance over Leopard. If you are having crashes you might want to look elsewhere for the problem or try a fresh install.

It's funny, Schillers own PR campaign against windows was because users were going to have to do a fresh reinstall.... Go figure.
  • Reply 13 of 168
    ch2coch2co Posts: 41member
    Quote:

I've had no problems whatsoever with SL since I got my printers working. It runs faster and I'm very happy with the upgrade. Each is its own individual case I guess.
  • Reply 14 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foljs View Post

And from reading the forums I follow, including Apple support lists, it has been rock solid for most people. The complaints I see is a magnitude below of what was for Leopard 10.5 to 10.5.1.

Of course there are less, they didn't add a ton of features like they did between 10.4 - 10.5. Besides that, alot of the functionality/enhancements that were made are not even being used yet. Jury is still out as far as I can tell.
  • Reply 15 of 168
    I think Georgetang is the new Teckstud. Just jacked the thread by us responding. Esh… Have to learn to ignore these posters better.
  • Reply 16 of 168
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Agreed. SL has been rock solid. The only issue I've seen is with the USB noise using Virtual Machine applications like Fusion and Parallels. Unfortunately, the VMWare folks said a fix was not included in 10.6.2.
  • Reply 17 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

It's funny, Schillers own PR campaign against windows was because users were going to have to do a fresh reinstall.... Go figure.

That is not the typical way to do it. Apple made the steps for installing OS X much easier. Your problems are obviously not representative of the majority. Sucks that you have them, but you might to look in other places for answers instead of just saying Snow Leopard sucks.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

Of course there are less, they didn't add a ton of features like they did between 10.4 - 10.5. Besides that, alot of the functionality/enhancements that were made are not even being used yet. Jury is still out as far as I can tell.

They added tons of features. One?s inability to not directly see the feature does not mean it wasn?t added.
  • Reply 18 of 168
    Quote:

Worst OS by far....

Leopard is the best....

"Bitter? Table for one." Snow Leopard is very solid. No issues as you refer to. You must have no idea how to use a computer.
  • Reply 19 of 168
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

?QuartzCore and graphic driver components?][/url][/c]

I really have not had many problems with SL, and it definitely improved the performance of my iMac. Really like the new screen recording feature in QuickTime X.

However, I do experience some jerky screen behavior with Zoom, which did not exist in Leopard. My iMac has an ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro card. Somehow, this behavior got introduced in SL.

This new point release should reflect fixes to user complaints from the field for the first time, so it should be more robust.
  • Reply 20 of 168
    Quote:

That is not the typical way to do it. Apple made the steps for installing OS X much easier. Your problems are obviously not representative of the majority. Sucks that you have them, but you might to look in other places for answers instead of just saying Snow Leopard sucks.

They added tons of features. One’s inability to not directly see the feature does not mean it wasn’t added.

No, they didn't add tons of features. They re-wrote alot of code. Big difference. And BTW, I wasn't the one that said it sucks. I agreed that the performance and stability were not impressive to me so far.