Apple's first France store to open November 7th - reports

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
While Apple has yet to make it official, multiple reports are saying that the electronics maker plans to cut the ribbon on its first French retail shop -- a flagship location located beside the historic Louvre museum in Paris-- on November 7.

Both the French-language Le Monde and MacGeneration are reporting that the Cupertino-based company hopes to use that first Saturday of the month to cross France off of its retail hit-list (Japan). The reports arrive on the heels of comments last week from Apple executives, who revealed during a conference call that the company would launch its first pair of brick-and-mortar retail stores in France next month.

The two-level shop is located close to the iconic inverted glass pyramid (see below diagram) known as the Musée du Louvre, positioned in the middle of the adjacent Carrousel du Louvre shopping center. It will mark the 277th retail store opening for Apple. Meanwhile, a second store in France is expected to open in Montpellier, while a third takes shape in Paris' Opera neighborhood.

MacGeneration notes that staff training at the Louvre store will begin a little more than a week before the opening, coinciding with Apple's official announcement of the grand opening date, expected this Friday. The report adds that Apple and Starbucks are partnering to offer free coffee to customers waiting in line.

The Musée du Louvre or officially the Grand Louvre in Paris.

Background

News of the Paris store first came in June of last year when Apple backed out of the Apple Expo. In addition to being the largest national museum of France, the Louvre is also the most visited museum in the world, attracting over 9 million visitors each year, with 40 percent of that total represented by tourists.

Last October, a piece by ifo Apple Store's Gary Allen for AppleInsider reported the Carrousel du Louvre store would open in 2009. It was followed by an AppleInsider report in December which noted that construction was underway and was to include the installation of a glass staircase to connect two then-separate spaces.

Apple's foray into the French retail market comes roughly two years late, if chief executive Steve Jobs is to be held to remarks made in 2005, when he told a retail store shopper that Apple planned to open its first store in France two years later (2007).

For those interested, AppleInsider recently published a sneak peek of the store space during the early construction phase.

Apple's retail strategy continues to serve as a boon for the company's bottom line. The segment is coming off a record-setting quarter with revenues approaching $2 billion -- an average revenue of $7.1 million per store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    Oh Apple nous nous !
  • Reply 2 of 25
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    I think there's an error with the map. The Apple store won't belocated where the arrows point but on at the spaced number 9, as it's corroborrated by the picture and the fact I know the place. Space number 9 was formerly occupied by a Virgin Megastore.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

I think there's an error with the map. The Apple store won't belocated where the arrows point but on at the spaced number 9, as it's corroborrated by the picture and the fact I know the place. Space number 9 was formerly occupied by a Virgin Megastore.

Great ....go stand up in front of it and show us where it is.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

I guess it's a map taken from something else. But one would think the article could make reference to a particular number instead of, well... not referencing any number.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    Wouldn't a better headline be

Apple's first store in France to open November 7th

or better yet

La premier magasin de Pomme pour ouvrir le 7 novembre
  • Reply 6 of 25
    Great... Now American tourists who inexplicably choose to go to Paris, instead of somewhere else, can hang out in the Louvre Apple Store on their way to and from the museum.

Actually, last time I was in Paris, in the hotel lobby there were more mac users than I see in Palo Alto cafes. That's quite an achievement. I was surprised not to have seen an Apple Store there. Only one problem now: Apple has stopped making macs dressed in black.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

or better yet

Le premier magasin de Apple ouvrira le 7 novembre.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Damn opening a store in a glass pyramid in front of a world famous musem... Apple just achieved instant baller status.

Correction: my mistake they are opening it next to the pyramid?? if so this does not grant them instant baller status. Would have been nice to be inside that pyramid though...
  • Reply 9 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Damn opening a store in a glass pyramid in front of a world famous musem... Apple just achieved instant baller status.

Correction: my mistake they are opening it next to the pyramid?? if so this does not grant them instant baller status. Would have been nice to be inside that pyramid though...

It seems like it's actually in the shopping center that's under the pyramid, but maybe I'm just on crack. The shopping center is quite unspectacular.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

It seems like it's actually in the shopping center that's under the pyramid, but maybe I'm just on crack. The shopping center is quite unspectacular.

Nah... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louvre_Pyramid

The mall does have this pyramid in it though: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Pyramide_Inversée
  • Reply 11 of 25
    Will they have the Droid?
  • Reply 12 of 25
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

or better yet

I was going to point this out also.

To say "Apple's first France store" is not right. It's hillbilly grammar. You wouldn't say "Apple's first America store."

"Apple's first French store" or "Apple's first store in France" is the correct way.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I was going to point this out also.

I was so looking forward to being the first to make note of this, but ended up a pathetic third. You've got to be quick around here. I wouldn't have thought to call it "hillbilly grammar" though, so you get the prize.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

"Apple's first French store" or "Apple's first store in France" is the correct way.

Well, if you want to be technical... it's not a French store; it's an American Apple store in France.

So how about "France's first Apple store" instead?
  • Reply 15 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheToe View Post

Well, if you want to be technical... it's not a French store; it's an American Apple store in France.

The store is actually french. Apple created a company in France to handle its stores (Apple Retail France EURL).
  • Reply 16 of 25
    Do these guys know how to party or what?
  • Reply 17 of 25
    Was at the Louvre a few weeks ago. Saw the big sign for the Apple store in the mall area underground. Walked around looking for, thinking the store was actually open
  • Reply 18 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheToe View Post

It's in France, it's a French store. An American company, but on French soil.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    So, if this is to be the first Apple store in France, whatever happened to the proposed store that was to be opposite the Garnier Opera?
  • Reply 20 of 25
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Stones throw from Mona.