Would you buy an Apple Tablet?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Simple question and I'm really curious to see what the results would be.

Quote:

To make things perfectly clear, this poll was really intended for:

- First and foremost, those who all but knew they'd buy an Apple tablet provided it lived up to their expectations

- Secondly, those who hate the thought of a tablet so much that wouldn't even buy one if it spit hundred dollar bills each month.

We know this board has more than it's fair share of both people... My intent of this poll was to see if a WANT A TABLET NOW person would be so put-off by the fact that a tablet was tied to a cellular provider that they'd kill their dream and pass on the product.

Now in my haste I left out a silent by sizable group:

- People who need to be convinced (show me the money! and all that stuff)

For those people I'd ask you not to vote maybe if at all possible but instead make the assumption that the tablet was 'ABOUT' what you'd expect it to be without any 'OMG THAT IS SO COOL I'LL BUY IT NO QUESTIONS ASKED' type surprises." - In other words, 'just how you'd imagined it in your mind'. Of course if you don't have any 'image' of what an Apple tablet would be then Maybe is certainly the best way to go.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    Yes.

But not if I'm locked into a contract.

I hate contracts.

If I have wireless in a house. Which I do. I don't want a goddamn contract.

Other's might.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 2 of 46
    I'm yet to work out why I'd even need a tablet. I can't figure out what it would do that a laptop or iPhone couldn't.
  • Reply 3 of 46
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

I'm yet to work out why I'd even need a tablet. I can't figure out what it would do that a laptop or iPhone couldn't.

++++++

Will wait to see what they roll out, but I can't quite figure what it's going to do for me.
  • Reply 4 of 46
    Dave, you should have included a "maybe" option in your poll.

I'm interested but only if the tablet meets my needs and price point.
  • Reply 5 of 46
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    No, cause I didn't see it yet. Ask me again when I see it.
  • Reply 6 of 46
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

Let those eyes of yours age 10 or 20 more years (or +40 if your a real youngin')... then lets see if you feel the same way! Cause as it stands now, when it comes to me... Either the iPhone screen is too damn small or my arms are to damn short to make prolonged use an enjoyable experience.
  • Reply 7 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

No, cause I didn't see it yet. Ask me again when I see it.

Yea I see your point... and I just tried it but once the poll is posted you can't add or change the questions...

Well for those on the fence but still want to vote... lets make the assumption that the tablet was 'about' what you'd expect it to be without any 'OMG THAT IS SO COOL I'LL BUY IT NO QUESTIONS ASKED' type surprises.

Oh and I shoulda thought it tru a little more cause these questions would have made for interesting results.

- Yes even if the carrier was someone other than AT&T (for US buyers).

Imagine if the tablet is announced and it's a VERIZON exclusive!?!?!

Cause that would be the cruelest trick of em all, however something I would not be shocked at.
  • Reply 8 of 46
    I voted to buy it ... without a contract... but if i could maybe just add it to my current contract for an additional $20 or so, I'd accept that.

What I'm looking for though, is closer to a notebook than an iPhone. I don't want just an big-screen iPhone... I want a more complete OSX interface. I won't need to do major typing projects, so I can handle an on-screen keyboard like the phone has. I just want to have full file-system and OS access... It needs to replace my MacBook, not compliment it.
  • Reply 9 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

I voted to buy it ... without a contract... but if i could maybe just add it to my current contract for an additional $20 or so, I'd accept that.

What I'm looking for though, is closer to a notebook than an iPhone. I don't want just an big-screen iPhone... I want a more complete OSX interface. I won't need to do major typing projects, so I can handle an on-screen keyboard like the phone has. I just want to have full file-system and OS access... It needs to replace my MacBook, not compliment it.

Well this is ... in my mind anyway the million dollar question....

- Will Apple allow unfettered access to the device

- Will Apple rule the device and dictate everything that can or can't be used.

If the device is locked into a carrier then I'd be 1000% certain that the device will be ruled the same way the iPod Touch and the iPhone are. Something that I've been very unsettled by as of late. If the device isn't then there is a remote chance that the development of Applications will be free to pursue the device with or without Apples blessing.

I'm afraid that Apple has become addicted to the AppStore and moving forward any and all devices created will be locked into the system.

- This tablet

- AppleTV at some point

- And whatever else Apple has brewing in the labs...

The only open development platform Apple will begrudgingly continue with is for the desktop systems... and in the end I wouldn't put it past them to try and some day change that too. Speaking of which isn't it over due to hear rumblings about 10.7 yet the rumor mill is strangely quiet.

That old saying still rings true.. Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.
  • Reply 10 of 46
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    I added a maybe for you.
  • Reply 11 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

I added a maybe for you.

TYVM Mr. H!
  • Reply 12 of 46
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    I'm intrigued by the number of people (not just in this poll) who seem to know for sure that they'll be getting an Apple tablet. How can they be so sure when they haven't seen it, don't know what OS it's going to run, and don't know how much it's going to cost? Surely, some assumptions have been made to come to this decision (such as assuming it'll have 3G, or will run full-blown OS X, will cost less than $x; not saying everyone will have made these assumptions, but you get the idea).

For me to buy an Apple tablet, it would have to be price-competitive with netbooks (no more than £300), be at least as powerful and run full-blown OS X. In other words, it's highly unlikely that I'll be getting one.
  • Reply 13 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

I'm intrigued by the number of people (not just in this poll) who seem to know for sure that they'll be getting an Apple tablet. How can they be so sure when they haven't seen it, don't know what OS it's going to run, and don't know how much it's going to cost? Surely, some assumptions have been made to come to this decision (such as assuming it'll have 3G, or will run full-blown OS X, will cost less than $x; not saying everyone will have made these assumptions, but you get the idea).

For me to buy an Apple tablet, it would have to be price-competitive with netbooks (no more than £300), be at least as powerful and run full-blown OS X. In other words, it's highly unlikely that I'll be getting one.

Clearly a great deal of 'assuming' has to be done but I'm pleasantly surprised that only 1 person so far indicated that 'assuming the tablet is what they are personally envisioning' comes to pass and yes that is a very hopeful assumption to be making... that they would buy the tablet even if it means being locked into a cellular carrier. It is my deepest desire that market research Apple conducted told them something similar (as in: don't try to make people pay a carrier a monthly fee just to own the product)

In my mind the tablet would be as follows...

- Screen apx 8-10" or so.

- Very good wifi no sacrificing signal quality due to 'Apple Design' choices

- Battery 8-10hrs before docking is required

- Have a 'living-room acceptable' dock** that would none the less allow one to 'display the tablet' as a table top picture frame while not otherwise being used.

- Processor something in line with a low end laptop perhaps slightly less

- OS X, I never dreamed a tablet would be locked down by Apple dictated policies.

- Price $599 or less

** As minimal as possible to get the job done since style is so personal

As for what I'd expect its uses to be... When docked it could double as a digital picture frame or a weather monitor, an exterior camera monitor or whatever else suites your fancy. When picked up an ebook reader, an iTunes remote controller, web browsing, photo viewer, vnc client, home automation possibilities, some type of caller id integration would be a nice touch but that could be left to the developers... provided Apple deems the application permissible.

I never pegged this to be a movie player but perhaps... but then the speakers would have to be reasonably good... I don't see having headphones laying around to plug into the unit nor do I see having BT headphones that would ALSO require charging when not in use. So.. all things being equal the lesser of two evils would be a headphone jack so when on a plane or for kids in the back seat they can view their movies without bothering anyone else. I personally always envisioned the tablet as something that would live inside the home more so then anything else.

Well it'll be interesting to see what the final reveal is...
  • Reply 14 of 46
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Well this is ... in my mind anyway the million dollar question....

- Will Apple allow unfettered access to the device

I don't know the answer to that but I suspect if it comes without a 3G contract they would. The problem is the manufactures see these arraingements as a way to sell expensive hardware cheap. Or I should say sell cheap hardware at high prices the consummer doesn't see. It is pretty easy to see that Apple has a stiff margin on iPhone, but the consummers aren't seeing the devices cost at purchase time. So in order to make sure the contracts stick the devices get locked to a carrier.

Quote:

- Will Apple rule the device and dictate everything that can or can't be used.

I'm not sure where this thought comes from. Apple doesn't dictate everything about the iPhone now. It took them awhile to open up the SDK but that is likely more for technical reasons than anything. I phone is certainly lacking some features and capabilities but that is obviously on purpose. You may disagree with their stated purpose to assure that the cell part of the iPhone always works but I'm glad they at least think that's important. The reason is simple I want to know that calls can always reach me.

Quote:

If the device is locked into a carrier then I'd be 1000% certain that the device will be ruled the same way the iPod Touch and the iPhone are.

If there is a contract involved so that Apple can put a low sticker price on the units then of course the machines will be carrier locked. The carrier needs to make enough money of the device to pay Apple it's share. I could easily see Apple selling the consummer $300 worth of part for $600 and getting another $600 from the carrier.

As to apps, I'm one of those people that like app store alot so I'm not going to complain about that. App store is an excellent system and as long as they support a wide array of apps I don't care to much. I'd like to see an alternative programming environment though, either Python or Ruby. Perferably with a way to execute scripts cron like.

Quote:

Something that I've been very unsettled by as of late.

You should see somebody about that. You don't have to buy anything from Apple you know.

Quote:

If the device isn't then there is a remote chance that the development of Applications will be free to pursue the device with or without Apples blessing.

I don't get this perspective at all. Everybody is free to develop for the iPhone, considering the 100000 apps there just about everybody is. Heck there is even open source code running on the iPhone.

As to Apples blessing, Apple needs to look out for number one. That means being careful with what is allowed on iPhone so that they don't become involved in anymore expensive lawsuits than they are already. I've seen lots of hand wringing about Apples approach but for the most part they act with good reason.

Quote:

I'm afraid that Apple has become addicted to the AppStore and moving forward any and all devices created will be locked into the system.

Most likely!

Think about this from the standpoint of a developer, it has enabled success for many one man shops. Fights piracy to some extent and keeps app prices extremely low while allowing those new developers to make a living.

It is good for the consummer two because they aren't running around all the time updating their installed software. There is one repository to serve up all apps and updates. It's a huge win for the end user and pretty much is one of the reasons the devices are so hot right now.

Quote:

- This tablet

- AppleTV at some point

- And whatever else Apple has brewing in the labs...

I actually see Apple TV going to iPhone OS in the future. An ARM based ATV could easily run the same apps as the Touch devices and the coming tablets. But why I can hear you asking, simple GAMES. Think about it games that you can download to your ATV for a couple of bucks instead of renting for a similar price. Combined with in app purchases and ATV would be one heck of a platform.

Quote:

The only open development platform Apple will begrudgingly continue with is for the desktop systems... and in the end I wouldn't put it past them to try and some day change that too.

I'd actually like to see that as an alternative distro plan. For a small scale developer it is fantastic. It would also spur a lot of development for the platform. A lot of software doesn't make it to the Mac due to authors having no low impact way to distribute the software. An app store for the Mac would change the marketplaces perception of what a Mac is capable of.

Quote:

Speaking of which isn't it over due to hear rumblings about 10.7 yet the rumor mill is strangely quiet.

I hope not!

Really I would rather Apple put two years between major OS updates. In fact that is one thing about Linux that rubs me the wrong way. The distros would have you update twice a year. No I'd rather see Apple refine Snow Leopard incrementally for at least a year with no major API changes. That is the OS proper things like Quicktime X needs continous improvement.

Quote:

That old saying still rings true.. Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

What are you talking about here? It's not like Apple is preventing you from buying alternative devices. All this slagging of Apple is simply stupid, people have choices and the ability to turn away from Apple if they see fit. In the case of app store people are making mountains out of ant hills here. App store is a fantastic development and a win for both the developer and the user. That doesn't happen often.

Dave
  • Reply 15 of 46
    To explain a bit, the maybe is due to the fact that if the device is a ten incher than I don't think it would meet my needs ten inches is just too big. A folding ten incher might be a different story all together.

A device in the seven to eight inch range would be far more interesting especially if it was a folder too. With a ten inch device one really has to think about how it competes with laptops. A seven inch device puts it into an entirely different category.

Once we get past the size of the unit we need to look at capability and connectivity. I want 3G but without a contract. Pay as you go is what would make my day. Something like 500GB for $10 bucks. This would be a new model for 3G data services but this is going to be a consummer device and it needs a rational plan for that market. The important thing is that we need a contract free 3G solution. For the consummer pricing by the GB is easy to understand and manage. If it is an option that allows one to avoid a contract then I'm all for it. Of course WiFi needs to be supported.

The issue of capability really bothers me as I can see Apple delivering a grossly under powered machine. What we need is a dual core ARM hitting close to 2GHz. I would accept however a quad core running at around 1.4 GHz. The primary reasons for the fast clocks and cores are to run Javascript fast in Safari, support Flash in it's own process and to enable a new class of apps that are more feature full than iPhone apps. Good support of the web is critical for this device and that requires CPU power. Along with that we need RAM and here I'd like to see 1GB maybe even more. Lots of GPU horsepower wouldn't hurt, but it needs support for HD TV. That is most of your HD decoding needs to be done in hardware on the GPU or an auxiliary processor. Finally I wouldn't even consider this device if it had less than 128GB of SSD.

Finally as a user I would need access to the filesystem to manage my data. I really don't care how locked down the OS is as long as I can manage my data.

Dave
  • Reply 16 of 46
    While that would be a kick arse machine Dave, just doing a quick hardware breakdown in my head your looking at a 1500-1800 machine.

And since you want 3G but no contract no carrier is going to pick up half that bill.

The SSD, dual or quad core, RAM, screen, build... that is one costly build.
  • Reply 17 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Finally as a user I would need access to the filesystem to manage my data. I really don't care how locked down the OS is as long as I can manage my data. Dave

Well, if and/or when Apple does disappoint you and if they go the route of the overtly heavy handed iPhone lockdown road then I'm going to fully expect you to NOT voice your displeasure here in the forums in hopes that a ground swell of like minded individuals might get Apple, a company that by all other respects you've admired and supported over a very long period of time to change their minds or to back off on some of the things you find less than acceptable.

No! you need to practice what you preach and just 'leave the platform' and call it case closed don't infect these hallowed forums with voicing displeasure about certain aspects of a product you don't like... Like it or shut up I guess... hmmm reminds me of a few infamous figures in our past and present... but I'll leave it an exercise for the reader to come up with names.
  • Reply 18 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Well, if and/or when Apple does disappoint you and if they go the route of the overtly heavy handed iPhone lockdown road then I'm going to fully expect you to NOT voice your displeasure here in the forums in hopes that a ground swell of like minded individuals might get Apple,

Voicing my displeasure is up to me and how irritating I find somthing to be. Mac Book AIR motivated me to buy a MBP for example. I like the Mac Book Pto but I still voice objections to the AIR.

Quote:

a company that by all other respects you've admired and supported over a very long period of time to change their minds or to back off on some of the things you find less than acceptable.

I'd have to say Apple is better than many companies when it comes to listening to it's customers. They listened with respect to the Mini, even if the evolution of that machine is slow.

The problem with iPhone and possibly the tablet is the involvement of the carriers. It is actually amazing that Apple was given as much freedom as they got with iPhone. Just look at how borked some of the other cell phones are after the carriers get a hold of the device. There are lots of complaints about AT&T but let's face it they took a chance that nobody else would, basically throwing away the industry accepted model.

So yeah there are things I don't like about iPhone and it's software. But let's face it we would still be in the cell phone dark ages if Apple and AT&T didn't come to an agreement.

Quote:

No! you need to practice what you preach and just 'leave the platform' and call it case closed don't infect these hallowed forums with voicing displeasure about certain aspects of a product you don't like... Like it or shut up I guess...

There is a huge difference between saying "don't make a moutains out of an ant hills" and saying "like it or shut up". Unfortunately I see a lot of hand wringing over app store that I just don't see as justified. Is the system perfect no, but it has some very good features. Can that balance be altered, certainly it can, but it is probably less than ideal on iPhone.

The problem is iPhones approach doesn't imply the same approach on a tablet. We simply haven't seen what Apple is about to offer up. It is certainly in Apples best interests to offer more capability and freedom but at the same time I still want an app store. The app distribution method is not the problem, access to the device is.

Quote:

hmmm reminds me of a few infamous figures in our past and present... but I'll leave it an exercise for the reader to come up with names.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here. Maybe I'm not making myself clear but what I'm trying to say is that app store isn't a problem at all. It is part of the reason Touch and iPhone gave become so successful. Likewise an App store for a tablet would not be a problem. The existance of an app store has nothing to do with acessibility of the device.

Can Apple over do it with their control, they certainly can. However they aren't compelled to do so thus we can hold out hope for things like multitasking and file system access. Some things like Multitasking are almost a given as I don't think many would see much value in the tablet without it. Other things like file system access I don't really see a lot of people caring even if I want it myself.

Dave
  • Reply 19 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Strange Lulz View Post

While that would be a kick arse machine Dave, just doing a quick hardware breakdown in my head your looking at a 1500-1800 machine.

Where did you get those numbers? I will likewise break down the pricing for you:
    1. The ARM SOC will run about $40 bucks depending upon the IP included

2. The 1GB of RAM is maybe $14 these days.

3. A 128 GB SSD is expensive but this will be soldered in. I'm thinking around a $120.

4. Misc electronics might add another ( audio amp, possibly the WiFi and Bluetooth, power regulation) $40.

5. A battery might add another $30

6. The display is an open question but let's say $125 here.

7. Incidentals like the case, add another $10

That is under $400. Add in Apples margin brings us to around $650 retail.

Note that I'm probably estimating rather high for some of those prices. ARM based chips can be very in expensive and depending on how Apple licenses the cores they might be paying well under a dollar in IP costs for each core shipped. With the IP costs being paid directly by Apple the SoC cost is based almost entirely on it's size. If the case is injection molded plastic it might cost under a dollar, plus a few screws to assemble it.

In any event I don't think I'm being unrealistic here. Depending upon how much Apple can jam into a SOC the external components might be very sparse. A total cost to manufacture might be as low as $350. By the way this doesn't include the 3G hardware which I have no idea on cost and frankly I want to see a model without as well as one with.

The other way to look at this is to examine an iPod Touch. This is a rather inexpensive piece of electronics engineering if I do say so. Imagine the new machine designed similarly on an much smaller silicon process. This means more cores and much faster operation. Combined with more capability due to the nature of SOC and their integrated pheripherals. So maybe we get six times the perfromance for about the same cost for the SoC. RAM will be more expensive of course, but technology wise 1GB is a no brainer anymore.

Oh by the way when I spoke of more cores above I was talking about two ARM core at a minimum and probably quadrupling the GPU core over what is in the Touch. At 40 nm that die area won't be much more than what is currently used. With the SoC custom built for the device there won't be a lot if wasted space for I/O either.

Quote:

And since you want 3G but no contract no carrier is going to pick up half that bill.

If the tablet required a 3G contract then that would be a big turn off. But that is not a problem because I don't expect the base model to exceed $600 at retail. In any event the contract on the iPhone is one of it's worst features.

Quote:

The SSD, dual or quad core, RAM, screen, build... that is one costly build.

I'm not sure where you get the idea that it would be an expensive build. This will be an ARM based device. Those cores simply don't take up a lot of die space. I don't expect to see a lot of chips on the motherboard and in reality only needs to be somewhat bigger than the board in Touch. In fact in the case of a tablet the smaller the PC board the better as it means more room for a battery.

In any event RAM is very important for a device like this as it impacts precieved performance. It does take up space but maybe they can go with 4 byte wide chips.

Dave
  • Reply 20 of 46
    I feel, with the long legacy of chunky lego brick tablets from the windows side of town we can expect an Apple 'tablet' to simply 'blow us away.'

10 inches. I think that's about right. And the rumours seem to be leaning that way...

7 inches? Squinting at Multimedia slightly less than on an iPhone/pod. Erm. 10 inchers is more comfortable for viewing, reading multimedia and is close to the size of print media that people consume re: magazines, comics, newspapers. It's a size that fits in with most people's reading experience? Roughly A4 in size? Give or take. I don't think this is a device for a pocket. It's bigger than that. This is a 'sofa' browser/bed browser/work browser...so it has to be at a comfortable size to avoid eyestrain with prolonged use. It's far easier to port alot of print media to this size I'd imagine. ie while we transition from paper media to digital paper over the next ten years? As we lose traditional notions of what size tablets (care of traditional print media...) 'should' be...I could see Apple offering different screen sizes in the future? But for now...I think 10 inches seems to make the most sense all things considered.

Folding device? Screen? Not sure it's very Apple, design wise.

It' nearly November. And I feel, in my waters , that Apple will release this shockwave at the start of Jan' 2010. So, we have...9 weeks to go?

I feel this product is just an evolution of the iPhone...at a larger size. Though with a bigger screen size...I'd expect an expansion of the multi-touch vocabulary...gestures...and more use of Core Animation than ever before?

The notion of Apple TV, iPhone and 'Slate' all having iPhone OS makes perfect sense to me. In a computing future of 'small/portable/on the go/casual/electronic' devices...a bloated OS is not going to appear on such nimble device...which is going to use low power components for battery life. People wishing for a full blow OS X? I'm not sure you're going to get it. I don't think it's necessary. Leopard went on a crash diet to become Snow Leopard. But I'd still be surprised if that made the cut.

The iPhone/touch platform has 85000 apps and counting. A number to dwarf all Mac apps since it's creation. A slate tablet running iPhone OS will add to that. Apple TV is no dud. Get it running on OS iPhone will add to its momentum. Imagine being able to download Apps right to your tv? Games...etc for a mere quid each. It's a value proposition. And I'm surprised Apple isn't there with the games side of it...or int' the App store. It seems like the natural synergy with iPhone. iPHone as a remote to control A.TV and using iPHone as a 'controller' for the games. It's a two for one offer. Sooner or later, surely? Similarly, a 'slate' would make a nice 'intimate' companion for a.tv also.

I think that's the future...as far as mainstream Apple is concerned. That would be some momentum...and I think Apple recognises the considerable 'gap' they've opened up over traditional computing Behemoths like M$, Dell, HP and rucking RIM, Nokia etc in the process. This is a chance to 'win' the next great computing age. The '3rd' great age. And I don't think Apple will jeopardise that by hobbling it with legacy barnacle code and weighing a tablet down with people who want to run Photoshop on it. With the gold mine that is the App store and the new development environment that goes with it...I'd expect a stripped down approach to bring fresh new apps, new competition, quicker...with innovation that will upset the old software cartels. This is a chance to unseat the Adobes/M$s in the new computing era. See Adobe's struggle with flash on the iPhone. And where is M$? I think that's a sign of things to come as we 'transition' to truly mobile computing. There'll be a place for Macs and they'll get good kick back from the holy trinity of iPhone/pod touch- Apple TV - Slate.

They're transitioning to a consumer electronics company. Arguable the 'new' Sony. Anybody who doesn't realise that hasn't been paying attention for the last 10 years. Apple now longer makes 'just beige' towers that cost too much. They've come a long way. And while the computing division is still relevant and Mac Os X remains the jewel in the whole crown/strategy...the 'critical mass' isn't behind traditional Macs. It's behind iPhone/iPod touch.

The future belongs to the computing equivalent of Mammals. The 'gadjet/electronic' devices. Computers as we've known them are increasingly looking like the equivalent of the Dinosaurs.

And that's coming from a guy who still wants Apple to make a mid-tower.

I'd happily trade what I want for Apple to win this time.

Lemon Bon Bon.