Apple's latest 10.6.2 beta packs fixes for VMWare, iMacs, Apple TV

Comments

• Reply 61 of 83
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GeekboyATL View Post

My wife's iMac has had all kinds of issues since the upgrade to SL, sadly.

1. For some reason, the TiVO sync on her Roxio Toast died. very annoying to her, as she moves a lot of TiVOed shows to her iPhone to watch while she travels. (We even upgraded to the latest version of Toast (10 platinum) and there's an outstanding issue with SL and the TiVO connector. (Was no issue in Leopard, sadly)

2. Random incompatibilities with older software. (I know SL went to a more unified 64-bit architecture, but I would have thought their 32-bit emulation would have been more robust, or at least more "compatible".)

As a relatively new Mac adopter, it's annoyed her so much she asked if I could revert her back to Leopard, an OS which she loved and had no problems with. (I informed her that I'd rather NOT, just to make sure I didn't screw up any of her other working pieces of software.) But I guess I learned that the lesson I got from years of MS products is also true of Apple: "Don't adopt the new OS until at least 6 months have passed." (MS corollary: "Until SP1")

I still prefer (and recommend) Apple to folks, but I guess I just learned that there are some consistencies across all software manufacturers.

Cheers!

There are definitely issues in SL that Apple needs to address, but all of your issues sound like third party issues that should be reported to the proper vendor so they can investigate and (hopefully) resolve in a timely manner.
  • Reply 62 of 83
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monobazus View Post

Hello, this is my first post here. I wish you all, girls and guys, a good day.

Now, to matters:

Since I upgraded to Snow Leopard, I could no longer log to my College eduroam network. This happened to 13 iMacs and Macbooks in my department alone. My Macbook is alive and well in my house, and connects with not a single hiccup in all the coffee shops I know.

As far as I can tell, this problem with eduroam networks is happening in other institutions, not only in Portugal, where I live, but throughout Europe. (See the Apple forum threads on this subject...)

So, will Apple fix this bug? Please? Please?

why not call eduroam?
  • Reply 63 of 83
    I wish there was word on fixes for whatever is causing sudden logout, or the entire user space crashing without warning, when using Rosetta-dependent OS X apps of a certain age. People who say get newer apps, I say easy for you to say. At minimum Apple should be expected to make it fail more gracefully.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....readID=2143178
  • Reply 64 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

I wish there was word on fixes for whatever is causing sudden logout, or the entire user space crashing without warning, when using Rosetta-dependent OS X apps of a certain age. People who say get newer apps, I say easy for you to say. At minimum Apple should be expected to make it fail more gracefully.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....readID=2143178

Apple doesn't write those Apps. The vendor does.

Why is everyone suddenly blaming Apple for 3rd party app support? SL has been in the works for a VERY long time. If these vendors haven't taken the time to properly test or even attempt to update their software, then that is a vendor issue.

Would you really prefer OS X to turn into another legacy nightmare that is Windows?
  • Reply 65 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

The best OS at least in my opinion was Tiger 10.4.11.

Totally agree. In fact, I decided to stay on 10.4.11 and ignore Leopard altogether. When Leopard was announced, I was underwhelmed by the feature set, then when it came out, I was appalled by how buggy it was. I decided to skip it, and I did so. Now I want to go SL, but am disappointed by how buggy it is, and how it's actually slower than Leopard. Just appalling. Meanwhile, Tiger does everything I need, and it is ROCK SOLID. Super stable. Sadly, more and more apps are coming out, that are SL only. But yeah, 10.4.11 is the bomb. I'll always keep it on my mini G4, that works as my music and media server. Best OS Apple ever put out.
  • Reply 66 of 83
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineWine View Post

Totally agree. In fact, I decided to stay on 10.4.11 and ignore Leopard altogether. When Leopard was announced, I was underwhelmed by the feature set, then when it came out, I was appalled by how buggy it was. I decided to skip it, and I did so. Now I want to go SL, but am disappointed by how buggy it is, and how it's actually slower than Leopard. Just appalling. Meanwhile, Tiger does everything I need, and it is ROCK SOLID. Super stable. Sadly, more and more apps are coming out, that are SL only. But yeah, 10.4.11 is the bomb. I'll always keep it on my mini G4, that works as my music and media server. Best OS Apple ever put out.

Hehe . . . I suppose Tiger is Apple's XP.
  • Reply 67 of 83
    amdahlamdahl Posts: 100member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Look like they're leaving no stone uncovered here. Taking their time and getting it all right.

If you can't do it right the first time, get it right the second time, eh?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Yeah, I too loved a pair of pants I had in the eighth grade, they were great.

Kind of a stupid comment for an OS that was released less than 2 years ago.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy

Apple doesn't write those Apps. The vendor does.

Why is everyone suddenly blaming Apple for 3rd party app support? SL has been in the works for a VERY long time. If these vendors haven't taken the time to properly test or even attempt to update their software, then that is a vendor issue.

Crashing the WindowServer is Apple's problem. Nobody elses.
  • Reply 68 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Hehe . . . I suppose Tiger is Apple's XP.

I think in alot of ways that is a accurate statement. When Vista and Leopard first came out it was hard to decide which sucked worse. Vista was pretty poor until SP1 and Leopard was always a disappointment compared to Tiger which was rock solid.
  • Reply 69 of 83
    I haven't got 10.6 yet, but was thinking I would get it in the next month or so. By then there will be a gig or more of updates to apply. So my question is, when you by SL, do you get the original 10.6 - and then you manually download and apply the updates - or when you buy SL, will you get 10.6.2 on the disc itself?
  • Reply 70 of 83
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by leafy View Post

Hopefully the 'vmware fix' mentioned is related to the VMWare Fusion 3.0 mds/mdworker issue that renders the system almost unresponsive. Now we know who the murderer is.

It was Colonel Mustard in the Library with the pipe!
  • Reply 71 of 83
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:

I think in alot of ways that is a accurate statement. When Vista and Leopard first came out it was hard to decide which sucked worse. Vista was pretty poor until SP1 and Leopard was always a disappointment compared to Tiger which was rock solid.

In my experience, Leopard was far better than 10.4.x.
  • Reply 72 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

Far better in terms for stability or features? I like Leopard and SL features but I find them far less stable then Tiger.
  • Reply 73 of 83
    Quote:

Everybody has their experiences. However, look into user reports - Leopard .8 was far less stable than Tiger .11. As to features, to each his own. Leopard features never jazzed me too much - Time Machine sounds like a great concept, but in practice seems deeply flawed with a lot of bugs - most serious people reverted back to things like SuperDuper! Spaces - who uses those? And spaces is still buggy. Quick Look - that one is legit, perhaps the only real improvement over Tiger. But that's it for features... a real snooze (QL excepted). And way less stable than Tiger. This is why I boycotted Leopard. My friends got on to it, and I used it reasonably extensively when we worked together, but for my own machines, I stayed with 10.4.11, which saved our bacon on more than one occasion, when Leopard took a dump on one of their computers. So, I was looking forward to Snow. I guess I'll get it anyway since I'm buying a quad iMac come January, but I'm no longer enthusiastic, since I read about how SL is actually even slower than Leopard, despite no longer being a bloated pig, like Leopard was... but what good is that, when it's slow as molasses going uphill in the dead of winter. Oh well, maybe 10.7 will hit the spot, like apparently Win 7 finally did for MSFT.
  • Reply 74 of 83
    To say that Tiger was more stable at the end of it's life cycle compared to SL at the beginning of it's own is kind of silly. The same will be true of Leopard and 10.5.8.

There has never been a bug free release of any software I would imagine. They mature over time, bugs are fixed, and they become the products that people stick with.

It's kind of silly to compare the two.
  • Reply 75 of 83
    Quote:

Far better in terms for stability or features? I like Leopard and SL features but I find them far less stable then Tiger.

Hmmm, I've never had a problem with stability using Leopard and Tiger (well, I had about two or three kernel panics with 10.4 but that was when I was adding and swapping memory with another computer. I don't attribute those crashes to the OS).
  • Reply 76 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineWine View Post

Everybody has their experiences. However, look into user reports - Leopard .8 was far less stable than Tiger .11. As to features, to each his own. Leopard features never jazzed me too much - Time Machine sounds like a great concept, but in practice seems deeply flawed with a lot of bugs - most serious people reverted back to things like SuperDuper! Spaces - who uses those? And spaces is still buggy. Quick Look - that one is legit, perhaps the only real improvement over Tiger. But that's it for features... a real snooze (QL excepted). And way less stable than Tiger. This is why I boycotted Leopard. My friends got on to it, and I used it reasonably extensively when we worked together, but for my own machines, I stayed with 10.4.11, which saved our bacon on more than one occasion, when Leopard took a dump on one of their computers. So, I was looking forward to Snow. I guess I'll get it anyway since I'm buying a quad iMac come January, but I'm no longer enthusiastic, since I read about how SL is actually even slower than Leopard, despite no longer being a bloated pig, like Leopard was... but what good is that, when it's slow as molasses going uphill in the dead of winter. Oh well, maybe 10.7 will hit the spot, like apparently Win 7 finally did for MSFT.

I understand the differences in experiences from different people, no argument from me.

I agree with you on spaces, I never use it. When I first heard of it, I thought it was going to be like Sun's implementation of different work spaces where for example, when you switched to another work space, you got a different background, different colors, etc. It made you feel like you were really switching to another computer.

I have no idea where this "slow as molasses" is coming from. I can tell that my machine is faster with SL and I didn't do a clean 'erase and install,' I installed it over 10.5. But to be fair, I've only been using it for a few days, it's possible I might be back here in a week or two feeling like this ( ) about SL.
  • Reply 77 of 83
    Quote:

I understand the differences in experiences from different people, no argument from me.

I agree with you on spaces, I never use it. When I first heard of it, I thought it was going to be like Sun's implementation of different work spaces where for example, when you switched to another work space, you got a different background, different colors, etc. It made you feel like you were really switching to another computer.

I have no idea where this "slow as molasses" is coming from. I can tell that my machine is faster with SL and I didn't do a clean 'erase and install,' I installed it over 10.5. But to be fair, I've only been using it for a few days, it's possible I might be back here in a week or two feeling like this ( ) about SL.

SL has been faster in all aspects of use for me. I don't know where this has come from either. I do get an occasional beachball, but they are few and far between. I suspect another update or two will resolve the common glitches.

Benchmarks are all over the web and they all show SL being faster then Leopard. This 'slow as molasses' is repeated for every major OS update that comes out. There will always be someone who claims it's just terrible. To each his own I suppose.
  • Reply 78 of 83
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 779member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BertP View Post

There is no such thing as a bug free OS release. It is possible for a bug to exist for years hidden in an OS until some user (you're not supposed to do that!) inadvertently brings it to the surface. This point release is actually the first to deal with user uncovered bugs in SL. All to the better.

But wouldn't it have been better if they released 10.6.0 as an open beta first so that a larger user base could file bug reports first and once they had fixes in place, release it on their shipping units? I will be buying a new laptop today and it will come reinstalled with 10.6 without a solution the Airport Express printing issue, a problem that our machines with 10.5.8 don't have.
  • Reply 79 of 83
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bulk001 View Post

But wouldn't it have been better if they released 10.6.0 as an open beta first so that a larger user base could file bug reports first and once they had fixes in place, release it on their shipping units? I will be buying a new laptop today and it will come reinstalled with 10.6 without a solution the Airport Express printing issue, a problem that our machines with 10.5.8 don't have.

Use your own good judgement; if the Airport Express printing defect is critical without any work-around, don't knowingly walk into that situation. Apple chooses to not use public betas, and you've got to deal with that. IMO, Apple does quite well with their tightly integrated ecosystem. The tight integration reduces the complexity of putting out good products ? but bug free? No.
  • Reply 80 of 83
    Too many trolls in AI these days. I am patiently (trying hard) waiting for 10.6.2 to make the jump from 10.5. At this rate, 10.6.2 looks to be a month away.