Apple co-founder Steve Jobs named Fortune 'CEO of the Decade'

Comments

• Reply 101 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

And nothing I've written is as totally wrong as this and has been reported( I've been told privately) by others:

Originally Posted by solipsism

Dammit boy! Were you raised by orangoutangs with Down Syndrome?

OK. I guess that one is really bad. (Although, I am surprised....). Anyway, I don't want to get into the middle of this. I'll leave the judgments to the powers-that-be.

{backs off gracefully.....}
  • Reply 102 of 183
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    I'm not into hero worship, and I've never met Steve Jobs. But, the recognition for his accomplishments is well deserved. I also think he has grown since co-founding Apple. Nowadays, he is much more skillful in acquiring the right people. Tim Cook and the rest of the management team was able to carry-on in his absence, and Steve did thank them. Congratulations, and my thanks for the great products.
  • Reply 103 of 183
    Quote:

Did you suffer from lack of attention earlier in life? Do you think we need your asinine explanation to figure out what a "decade" means? You go on and on and on like some sort of diahrea of the Internet .

Well its a good thing you never go on and on and on and on and on about anything!
  • Reply 104 of 183
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

(OK. One last try. Promise)

According to your logic above, what was the year that preceded AD 1? ("AD" for Anno Domini from Medieval Latin).

There was no full year!! it was only measured in months.
  • Reply 105 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

How many people have people explained to him that there was no year zero and yet he keeps on insisting that the there was. You can?t make this stuff up. He needs to be on Jay Walking. Absolute gold!

Write to Fortune yet?
  • Reply 106 of 183
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    It's the charisma thing. One of the best books on Steve Jobs is The Journey is the Reward. Great read. Lots of insight into the amazing and talented SJ.

I give much credit for Apple's success to his vision and taste. Hire lots of talented designers and let them create with freedom and passion.

Laptops do not need to be like Rolexes, carved from solid blocks of aluminum (or whatever metal). But Apple does this out of pride. Truly amazing. They could be cutting costs but keep on driving forward with world class design.

Like many of us, I greatly admire and appreciate design and quality and am willing to pay for it. Apparently a whole bunch of former PC users feel the same. Apple is not growing profits by cutting costs, but instead is growing the top line by continuously innovating and pushing the market forward.
  • Reply 107 of 183
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    Quote:

Religious beliefs are to be respected for what they are. It is when they conflict with our understanding of science that it becomes an issue (at least, for me). In a vast majority of instances, there is no necessary conflict between science and religion (at least, as interpreted by the informed and educated practitioners of that religion).

I like to consider myself educated and informed and no argument on the correct etiquette. It is fascinating however that in any period of history the current 'religiously' inclined accept that the earlier religions were mythology and don't feel the need to confer any respect on them as religions, e.g. Greek Gods on top of Mount Olympus etc.. It is also the case, as you illustrate, that in any period of history the current beliefs are not myths and need to be treated with respect by educated non believers. It seems logical that one day new myths will replace current ones to become 'respected' and everything we have now will be joining Athena etc. as myths. As Kurt Vonnegut said so aptly, "So it goes …"

Sorry this is slightly off topic ... but then again SJ can probably walk on water, well in my book he can
  • Reply 108 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Thank you for the link.

The article made me feel like I was there, as well as it brought back some great memories of our own interactions.

Bob have you been involved with apple or was it a separate project where you interacted with Steve?
  • Reply 109 of 183
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,950member
    Quote:

Did you suffer from lack of attention earlier in life?

No need to project your issues onto others.

Quote:

There was no full year!! it was only measured in months.

If there were any rows in teckstud_knowledge, we would have to start deleting them... well, maybe just a quick truncate.
  • Reply 110 of 183
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,655member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

I've never liked Jobs, even when I was an Apple fan. But I do respect the fact that he has definitely changed the computer arena. But I think too many people place too much on this one man. Remember, he runs a company and surrounds himself with plenty of competent employees..

I disagree with you because Apple had some great employees before Jobs returned, but the company was a mess, it had competing and confusing product lines and it couldn't get a next-generation OS built. Critics thought Apple would go under. So it's not enough to have great employees, you also have to have great leadership and in spite of all his quirks and the associated ego, Jobs provides great leadership.

Quote:

Now, if Apple could show companies how to bring jobs back to the US... then I'll be happier with Jobs himself. Till then, forget it, mainly because I know they can afford to do so.

If he did this, I would certainly consider him to be the greatest exec of all time. And if Apple did do this, perhaps it would set a "fashion" that would encourage other companies to do the same. But unfortunately, it's never going to happen. Apple is already considered to have over-priced products and in spite of their large margins and large cash hoard, if they returned manufacturing to the U.S., the margins would drop and the stock price would fall drastically.

I think Jobs would maintain that Apple does create a lot of U.S.-based jobs, just not manufacturing jobs.

Unfortunately, Americans have been trained to expect ridiculously low prices on most products. The fact that someone can produce a DVD player, for example, and sell it here for $49 with the designers, manufacturer, distributor and retailer all making some profit is absolutely astonishing. Blu-ray players have gone from $2000 to $200 in just a few years, but you still hear people complaining that they need to be priced under $100. Apple generally has high-priced products, but I don't believe they would be willing to either raise prices or substantially drop margins in order to manufacture in the U.S. (and even though in the early days of Apple, the computers were manufactured in California.)

You can't build something in the U.S. and price it at retail that low, so we're not going to see manufacturing return here. I had some hopes when the U.S. dollar crashed against the Euro and Pound that European companies might start manufacturing in the U.S., but it didn't happen.

Eventually, China and India will build enough of a middle class that manufacturing will become too expensive even there. But it still won't move back to the U.S. - it will move to other third world countries. Part of this is because large companies, especially public companies care only about profits. They don't care about their workers or their communities. This is because U.S. CEOs have a fiduciary responsiblity only to their shareholders. Personally, I've always thought that even in a capitalist system, this is wrong (immoral and unethical): they should have a balanced fiduciary responsibility to the shareholders, employees and customers.
  • Reply 111 of 183
    Quote:

OK. I guess that one is really bad. (Although, I am surprised....). Anyway, I don't want to get into the middle of this. I'll leave the judgments to the powers-that-be.

Orangoutangs are apparently, along with chimps and humans, susceptible to Dow'n Syndrome. I never knew that before. So a valid question from our erudite friend solipsism and not an insult to orangoutangs at all IMHO.
  • Reply 112 of 183
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Orangoutangs are apparently, along with chimps and humans, susceptible to Dow'n Syndrome. I never knew that before. So a valid question from our erudite friend solipsism and not an insult to orangoutangs at all IMHO.

I actually didn’t know that. I would have guessed based on the chromosomal similiarities, with the fusing of the 2nd and 3rd in homo sapiens being the only real differentiator, as I remember it. I wrote because it flowed well together and I thought it sounded funny.

But I digress, I should not have included any comment about Down Syndrome. People with the disorder can have normal intelligence. I also apologize to orangoutangs who may be on this site, though usually they tend to post on Gizmodo.
  • Reply 113 of 183
    Quote:

I actually didn?t know that. I would have guessed based on the chromosomal similiarities, with the fusing of the 2nd and 3rd in homo sapiens being the only real differentiator, as I remember it. I wrote because it flowed well together.

But I digress, I should not have included any comment about Down Syndrome. People with the disorder can have normal intelligence. I also apologize to orangoutangs who may be on this site, though usually they tend to post on Gizmodo.

MIcky here at my side just pushed his banana in my ear and jumped up and down and I think that means he is very insulted. He is a Mac Fanboy and never visits Gizmodo.
  • Reply 114 of 183
    Quote:

I also apologize to orangoutangs who may be on this site, though usually they tend to post on Gizmodo.

Ah-ah-ah-oo-oo-oo-ee-ee-ee!

That's orangoutang for "this thread has gone way off topic."
  • Reply 115 of 183
    Hey the only thing missing from this love fest is how he should be commended for using his influence and money to unfairly secure a liver ahead of less well-off people, just like that Yakuza boss on 60 minutes. What a hero.
  • Reply 116 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebasa View Post

Hey the only thing missing from this love fest is how he should be commended for using his influence and money to unfairly secure a liver ahead of less well-off people, just like that Yakuza boss on 60 minutes. What a hero.

The surgeon who performed the operation said otherwise. Specifically, he said that Jobs was the sickest person on the list of transplant recipients.
  • Reply 117 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

If there were any rows in teckstud_knowledge, we would have to start deleting them... well, maybe just a quick truncate.

You still can't come up with an answer in that vast database of your mind- eh?

Isn't there an app named after you call annoyance? It farts and cries like a baby?

oh I'm sorry, your name is anoymouse
  • Reply 118 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

The surgeon who performed the operation said otherwise. Specifically, he said that Jobs was the sickest person on the list of transplant recipients.

Money will buy you everything and anything- just ask Michael Bloomberg.

Believe that and I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.
  • Reply 119 of 183
    Quote:

I actually didn’t know that. I would have guessed based on the chromosomal similiarities, with the fusing of the 2nd and 3rd in homo sapiens being the only real differentiator, as I remember it. I wrote because it flowed well together and I thought it sounded funny.

Fail and FAIL again. Did you write to Fortune yet?

Update me when you've been published in the letters to the editor.
  • Reply 120 of 183
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    I knew someone would bring up the liver and try to tie SJ's wealth to his successful liver transplant. If he was given special priority, it still doesn't undo all that he's done for mankind.