Apple co-founder Steve Jobs named Fortune 'CEO of the Decade'

Comments

• Reply 121 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebasa View Post

Hey the only thing missing from this love fest is how he should be commended for using his influence and money to unfairly secure a liver ahead of less well-off people, just like that Yakuza boss on 60 minutes. What a hero.

That is such a cheap shot, man. Not worthy of AI unless you can back it up. Or better yet, why don't you email or call 60 Minutes or some other news source and ask them to investigate: journalists (and there are a few Jobs-haters among them) would kill for a scoop like that.

In the meantime, I'll believe the surgeon (unlike the UCLA Medical Center in the 60 Minutes yakuza story who basically stonewalled and refused comment).
  • Reply 122 of 183
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

You can love, hate, idolize, despise (insert favorite verb here) Steve Jobs. But there's one thing you absolutely, positively cannot do and that is ignore him. Even Steve Ballmer cannot ignore Steve Jobs, as much as he'd love to do so. The "rounding error" comments are proof of that. Jobs is in the heads of a lot of big business types like it or not.

I was at Oracle OpenWorld a few weeks ago. Scott McNeally, Chairman of Sun, and Larry Ellison, Oracle boss, both mentioned Apple and Steve Jobs in their keynote addresses and Apple has nothing to do with the enterprise applications/database markets that was the focus of the conference. In other words, you're absolutely right. Larry was saying that Oracle's acquisition of Sun was in part so it could be more like Apple and deliver the entire solution from hardware to software. On of Scott's comments was that the iPhone the worst implementation of a keyboard, ever ("friends don't let friends type on an iPhone"). I suspect his friends don't let him use their iPhones so he bitter and spiteful.
  • Reply 123 of 183
    Oracle's purchase of Sun was to make them more like IBM than Apple, since Oracle doesn't sell consumer products. Note also that Sun's other suitor was IBM.
  • Reply 124 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

Here Here!

Living debt free, or with as little debt as possible is something that should be the goal of everyone. I think these days people and companies are realizing it. Apple was smart to begin with and save up.

And to be honest (as my husband and I live debt free) its not that hard to do if you don't live outside your means. True, I can't afford a car and so take the bus and bike (keeps my slim figure and heart in shape I suppose) to work. I can't afford a new MacBook Pro (not that I'd want one) or other high priced computer. I budget for food for the week, cook often, and keep everything in check. Make goals, and keep to them. Don't purchase the new iPhone 4g if you really can't afford it... the 3gs works plenty fine. Save money each pay check, make it mandatory. Stuff like that. Its really not that hard.

Eh, I can go on, but I'm sure everyone is sick of economy stuff by now.

How far do you take it? Do you own a home with a mortgage?
  • Reply 125 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Oracle's purchase of Sun was to make them more like IBM than Apple, since Oracle doesn't sell consumer products. Note also that Sun's other suitor was IBM.

Agreed, but Larry (self professed good friend of Steve) used the Apple example in front of tens of thousands of people, so it's part of the story. Also, this was in the context of them rolling out their new "Database Machine" that is a bundle of servers preloaded with and tuned for the Oracle database. Because with the machine Oracle controls the entire package they can do things they can't do when they are just delivering software (a la Microsoft).
  • Reply 126 of 183
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

That is such a cheap shot, man. Not worthy of AI unless you can back it up. Or better yet, why don't you email or call 60 Minutes or some other news source and ask them to investigate: journalists (and there are a few Jobs-haters among them) would kill for a scoop like that.

In the meantime, I'll believe the surgeon (unlike the UCLA Medical Center in the 60 Minutes yakuza story who basically stonewalled and refused comment).

Don't jump your guns - not such cheap shot. You don't think the super rich have a way of covering their tracks- not that SJ would or did? We just had a political coup here in NYC by a super wealthy individual- even Obama and the entire Democratic party were beholden (read bought) by him.
  • Reply 127 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Don't jump your guns - not such cheap shot. You don't think the super rich have a way of covering their tracks- not that SJ would or did? We just had a political coup here in NYC by a super wealthy individual- even Obama and the entire Democratic party were beholden (read bought) by him.

A tidbit I did find interesting in one of these articles that were linked in this thread - SJ states the reason he keeps his $1 salary is so he's eligible to put his family on the company's health insurance plan. (Not that this has anything to do with what you said)
  • Reply 128 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by retroneo View Post

I don't think Apple has changed the movie industry at all.

iPod and iTunes definitely changed the music industry. iPhone changed mobile phones too. No way that Apple TV and iTunes movie store are particularly influential.

To start, Steve Jobs founded Pixar. He defined computer animated movies. Even today, Pixar stands for high quality computer animation. Pixar Renderman is considered the state of the art rendering platform for CG movies. And it was likely Steve Job's stubborn idealism that has allowed Pixar to rise above its competitors. Pixar movies are different...they have soul, and don't feel like the standard corporate gruel. Rent "Up" to see what I mean. How many CG movies can change your outlook on life?!

Also, Apple makes Final Cut Pro, which is one of the major platforms for movie editing and post-production. It is very likely that many of the movies you have seen recently were put together using Final Cut Pro. The Coen brothers used it for No Country for Old Men. Frances Ford Copolla's Zoetrope Studios uses it.
  • Reply 129 of 183
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DKWalsh4 View Post

A tidbit I did find interesting in one of these articles that were linked in this thread - SJ states the reason he keeps his $1 salary is so he's eligible to put his family on the company's health insurance plan. (Not that this has anything to do with what you said)

Speaking of? I wish more CEOs would do that. They don?t need the money to live week-to-week or month-to-month like most people do, so let their salary be based on performance. Too many solid companies have brought shitty CEOs with a huge sign on bonus, huge weekly paycheck and a huge contractual severance when the board finally fires their ass.
  • Reply 130 of 183
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Speaking of? I wish more CEOs would do that. They don?t need the money to live week-to-week or month-to-month like most people do, so let their salary be based on performance. Too many solid companies have brought shitty CEOs with a huge sign on bonus, huge weekly paycheck and a huge contractual severance when the board finally fires their ass.

Pardon me- Do you still think 1970 was part of the sixties, 1980 was part of the seventies?

And this decade has another year plus to go?
  • Reply 131 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

Agreed, but Larry (self professed good friend of Steve) used the Apple example in front of tens of thousands of people, so it's part of the story. Also, this was in the context of them rolling out their new "Database Machine" that is a bundle of servers preloaded with and tuned for the Oracle database. Because with the machine Oracle controls the entire package they can do things they can't do when they are just delivering software (a la Microsoft).

Do you have the precise quotes? I am curious about how they couched this, since the much more obvious template for Oracle's new direction is IBM -- they also sell the "entire widget."
  • Reply 132 of 183
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Bob have you been involved with apple or was it a separate project where you interacted with Steve?

I never was an Apple employee, but worked with a number of third-party developers. At one point I had considerable access to engineers, marketing, etc. I'm sure there is still a box or disc chock full of all the NDAs I had to sign along the way.

I was privileged to have seen a version of the iMac some years before it came to fruition. Same goes for what became the iSight, the morphing of the desktop, and what are now known as MacBooks.

Funniest moment? When a former Apple CEO walked back to his office from lunch and found me tearing the 68020 out of his personal Mac and installing a 68030 33MHz accelerator board (ah, those were the days). This was being done with a modified thumbscrew assembly that damn near broke the motherboard.

Steve's "s**t his pants" comment about new and exciting products did not do that moment justice. The former CEO was thinking about having me arrested right up until he rebooted his Mac. Then it became "How many of these can we get?"

Funniest thing I ever saw was an original prototype for what became the liquid-cooled G5. It was literally built inside of a refrigerator!

My interactions with Steve personally were almost always off-campus and a lot of fun. I was nearly always the older one of the group and perhaps that allowed me more slack.
  • Reply 133 of 183
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

I was at Oracle OpenWorld a few weeks ago. Scott McNeally, Chairman of Sun, and Larry Ellison, Oracle boss, both mentioned Apple and Steve Jobs in their keynote addresses and Apple has nothing to do with the enterprise applications/database markets that was the focus of the conference. In other words, you're absolutely right. Larry was saying that Oracle's acquisition of Sun was in part so it could be more like Apple and deliver the entire solution from hardware to software. On of Scott's comments was that the iPhone the worst implementation of a keyboard, ever ("friends don't let friends type on an iPhone"). I suspect his friends don't let him use their iPhones so he bitter and spiteful.

Sadly, Scott's credibility in the Valley has taken a lot of hits in the past few years. There's quite a bit that Apple has done in that time that he really doesn't seem to get.
  • Reply 134 of 183
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebasa View Post

Hey the only thing missing from this love fest is how he should be commended for using his influence and money to unfairly secure a liver ahead of less well-off people, just like that Yakuza boss on 60 minutes. What a hero.

I've seen an interview with doctors in MSNBC and CNBC about this and they say that there are states where the waiting list is short and it is normal for people who can afford it to request medical care in such places. I personally once called a transplant center in one of these states to get information about kidney transplant for my sister-in-law and they actually told me that their waiting time is much shorted than those in the east and west coast.
  • Reply 135 of 183
    Hail to the king! Congrats to Steve Jobs.

I don't think that there is another person like this in the history of business. Now where would we all be right now if Steve Jobs just packed it in, in late 1985? The more I think about this the more I think Apple and Steve Jobs are like life blood. Imagine a world without NeXT after Apple, and there would be no Apple as we know it today Simply incredible how linked these things are!
  • Reply 136 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by masstrkiller View Post

Simply incredible how linked these things are!

Ah.... careful in separating hindsight from foresight. Ex-post links are always easier to find than ex-ante ones!
  • Reply 137 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

They have a long way for that. Even in the US there is Exxon, with a market capitalization of $343B, that have to beat. For the world, it’s even a little more.

Actually, Wikipedia is a sucky place to get that kind of information. Market caps are updated every day (even every moment, during stock market movement).

Exxon is actually the company with the biggest market cap in the world. There are even "bigger" companies. Private companies that are not in the stock market, such as Saudi Aramco, owned by Saudi Arabia.

But, since we can only accurately calculate the market cap of publicly traded companies, if we take all of them, *at the time of this posting* Apple would appear in 14th place. The top 15 list is:
    • Exxon

• Industrial and Commercial Bank of China

• Microsoft

• PetroChina

• Petroleo Brasileiro

• China Construction Bank

• Wal-Mart

• HSBC Holdings

• China Mobile

• Royal Dutch Shell

• BHP Billiton

• BP

• Procter & Gamble

• Apple

• Google

I'm yet to find a good, up to date source for this list, but this is the listing I can get using an automated browsing bot thorugh Google Finance and Bloomberg.

CorporateInformation does have a listing that's accurate most of the times, but, only once a week or so, and sometimes they throw in some companies that weren't supposed to have that much market cap (like, at the time of this posting, the first 6 companies you might see there if you check before they update it again).
  • Reply 138 of 183
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KTachyon View Post

Actually, Wikipedia is a sucky place to get that kind of information. Market caps are updated every day (even every moment, during stock market movement)...

Wow, the Chinese companies took a tumble. I knew the stats didn’t have the latest info, but I hadn’t thought it would have changed that dramatically.
  • Reply 139 of 183
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

Personally, I've always thought that even in a capitalist system, this is wrong (immoral and unethical): they should have a balanced fiduciary responsibility to the shareholders, employees and customers.

Well said. That's why I'm a big fan of companies like Costco. Their CEO and corporate philosophy show that you don't have to treat employees like crap and bend to every whim of wall street to be profitable.
  • Reply 140 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Yeah that was a real shame. Mike Bloomberg, Mayor for the rich. Its amazing to me that this goes on in this country. He actually said he was opposed to extending term limits when he got originally elected. It only goes to show politicians will say almost anything to gain power. I should be used to this kinda crap by now. The reality to me, in this country and the rest of the world is this is normal behavior.