Report: Apple testing RFID swipe support in iPhone prototypes

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think we?re way past three functions with the iPhone. Your ?M-class planet? comment made me spit up some soda. Thanks.

It was pretty funny.

Any chance that we might one day see some syncing via wifi? Wouldn't this be much faster than the current USB setup?
  • Reply 22 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

It was pretty funny.

Any chance that we might one day see some syncing via wifi? Wouldn't this be much faster than the current USB setup?

I'm hoping for a light peak setup, it can do up to 10GB/s.
  • Reply 23 of 54
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    There are already simple barcode display applications on App Store, which work perfectly in european supermarkets without RFID at all.

There are also quite interesting barcode scanning applications (unstable).
  • Reply 24 of 54
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mystigo View Post

Another sensor? These phones are becoming tricorders. If they could just detect M-class planets they would have everything.

major tom would agree

i guess blood sugar testing is next
  • Reply 25 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Please, please, please... may people actually implementing things not be so simplistic. This is why a lot of nerds really hate RFID, as this is a complete lapse of security. For things like payments, you want some form of challenge/response at a minimum where you cryptographically sign the transaction rather than just giving away your account number...

if you bother to re read the article it is already in use for yrs in asia

so i guess all the fire walls and such are already stream lined in the simplistic process.

i gather that they do a third party bank blind run like with pay pal > which is no one knows anyone else. nerds already know the data

offered is benign.
  • Reply 26 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

There are already simple barcode display applications on App Store, which work perfectly in european supermarkets without RFID at all.

There are also quite interesting barcode scanning applications (unstable).

barcodes are over 40 yrs old

i wish someone would update it to the modern world
  • Reply 27 of 54
    I believe theStarbucks Mobile Card app is selectively testing this now. I don't live in the areas under test, but the app states that swiping your phone pays for your purchase.
  • Reply 28 of 54
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

Guys, guys.

Cellphone-based RFID and NFC contactless payment have been used in Japan for years. Just Google "Osaifu-Keitai."

Transit passes (bus, train, airplane). Loyalty/club cards. Shopping at convenience stores (think 7-11 or grocery stores). Sports and event ticket purchase/entry. Parking meter payment.

Please don't go stupidly paranoid. America is trying to catch up with Japan. We're about five years behind on this stuff just as our crappy cellular carriers are about five years behind theirs. We're turning into an embarrassment of industrialized nations by falling behind in this sort of stuff.

Excuse the name calling but you're a fool. I live in Japan and you're right. EVERYTHING is RFID. Even my new driver's license and ETC toll card. And yes it is convenient BUT it is also the most dangerous thing around. Very bad security and huge privacy issues. Soon all the alien registration cards [ARC] will also have RFID. The police could theoretically scan houses to find out who's a foreigner and I wouldn't put it passed them.

You also are probably unaware that the families who really control most of the world's governments also control Japan. Japan is not controlled by Japanese as you would think it would logically be. The people who are behind the world's largest corporations control Japan's corporations, America's corporations, Canada's corporations, Australia's corporations and so on. While certain technologies may have their origins in particular nations, the people behind the corporations are the same people who control America's Obama, Canada's Harper and Japan's Hatoyama etc. RFID serves the same purpose all around the world.

Ease of tracking and information acquisition.
  • Reply 29 of 54
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

barcodes are over 40 yrs old

They are still good enough to identify frequent buyer card holder and to credit his account.
  • Reply 30 of 54
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Yes and the article sounds like complete BS. The bi-directional assumption sounds a bit far fetched. Each individual iPhone has its own RFID signature? I don't think so.

Why don't you think each iPhone (and iPod touch) cannot have its own RFID signature?

IBM recently added an option to include a unique RFID tag in many of the products it sells. Including devices such as computer system as well as tape cartridges.

A simplified RFID tag contains a 96 digit "serial number" a standard RFID tag include 2 Kb of data.

96 digits is 1 times 10 to the 96 - there is somewhere near 7 billion people on the planet - or 1 times 10 to the 9 - which means even in the simplified tag system there are 1 times 10 to the 87 possible numbers - even if you reserve a few digits for things like check sum - that is still an awful lot of numbers.

In an IBM demo lab I have visited - they talked about not only having a unique RFID for any given type of product but also for individual instance of that product - for example take a prescription drug - you could have an RFID tag that not only identifies what the drug is but also when it was manufactured and when it expires etc.

More realistically you would not have a single numerical string but groups of data - kind of like a VIN number on a car these days - part of the "code" translates to the Manufacturer, part to the Make, the Model, the year, and part is the serial number for example.
  • Reply 31 of 54
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mansan View Post

I believe theStarbucks Mobile Card app is selectively testing this now. I don't live in the areas under test, but the app states that swiping your phone pays for your purchase.

Actually, when you click "Touch to Pay", the iPhone will display a barcode and the store will use their scanners to scan that barcode for payment.
  • Reply 32 of 54
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

They're trying to control my brain!!! ;]

Actually, that's not funny.

If our government announced tomorrow that they wanted 50 million people to line up for RFID implants, people would begin burning down government houses.

If Apple announced tomorrow that the next 50 million iPhones will carry RFIF chips, fanbois would begin licking themselves in excitement.

Makes me sick. I will NOT be buying one of these.
  • Reply 33 of 54
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

Excuse the name calling but you're a fool. I live in Japan and you're right. EVERYTHING is RFID. Even my new driver's license and ETC toll card. And yes it is convenient BUT it is also the most dangerous thing around. Very bad security and huge privacy issues. Soon all the alien registration cards [ARC] will also have RFID. The police could theoretically scan houses to find out who's a foreigner and I wouldn't put it passed them.

Does anyone understand that this ^ is ENOUGH of a reason NOT to have any part of it!?!

Wake up!
  • Reply 34 of 54
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

If our government announced tomorrow that they wanted 50 million people to line up for RFID implants, people would begin burning down government houses.

If Apple announced tomorrow that the next 50 million iPhones will carry RFIF chips, fanbois would begin licking themselves in excitement.

Most of the RFID devices in use today require a proximity of a couple feet between the tag and the reader to work - yes there are some that work over a couple hundred feet but that may require direct line of sight etc.

Maybe this opens up a whole new market for small compact portable Faraday cages or other type of shielding to prevent unauthorized scanning of your RFID tag.
  • Reply 35 of 54
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

Most of the RFID devices in use today require a proximity of a couple feet between the tag and the reader to work - yes there are some that work over a couple hundred feet but that may require direct line of sight etc.

LOL whatever.
  • Reply 36 of 54
    Quote:

EXACTLY!

Unless the government can CREATE another 9/11 to somehow convince people that they need RFID implants to protect them from (domestic) terrorists, then the only other way to adopt it to the masses is to implement it as a "useful" feature in popular tech devices.

WAKE UP! We're already walking around with GPS tracking devices in our back pockets. They know who our friends and family are due to social networks. They disguise features as useful on a consumer level yet the real use is to track our every move. With Apple's face recognition software and GPS geo-tagging, if someone takes a picture of you and posts it, you'll not only be ID'd but pin-pointed as well.

Life is not science fiction. It's a lot scarier than that.
  • Reply 37 of 54
    Wake up people! You do NOT want RFID! Be sure to watch Aaron Russo's movie: America: Freedom to Fascism to learn why you don't want RFID!

http://freedomtofascism.com

Also see:

http://spychips.com
  • Reply 38 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

No, totally different technology. The new checkout devices is just a card swiper connected to the iPod touch running POS software. They have nothing to do with RFID or NFC contactless payment.

Don't be so sure that this isn't related to Apple using the iPhone/iPod Touch as part of their retail environment -- This is a logical path for the checkout device to follow as you only need two things to happen to make the iPhone a complete (credit) POS solution with no additional hardware:

1) RFID tags on merchandise (no need for a barcode reader - makes the add-on device smaller)

2) RFID tags in credit card (already there in a lot of cards. If/when it's universal no need for a card reader)

The only people who need to go near the cashwrap are people paying by cash or people whose credit card doesn't already have an RFID chip in it...
  • Reply 39 of 54
    Quote:

You're crazy. security loopholes are one thing but conspiracy? I hate to tell you but your passport, driver license and auto registration already have RFID chips in them, along with many items you purchase off the shelves and packages shipped to your door. Don't be naive.
  • Reply 40 of 54
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    So how many people drive a car, or ride in cars driven by others? Cars are inherently more dangerous than walking (your chance of death increases exponentially), but we still use them.

The RFID fears seem overblown given the fact that we currently know nothing about the system Apple is looking at introducing.