Report: Apple to launch Verizon iPhone in Q3 2010

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 110
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    ... and if this 'new' Verizon iPhone still sports an archaic 320x480 screen resolution, mediocre media player sound quality, no media card slot, and an OS completely on 'lock down', I'll still be using my far more technologically advanced DROID.
  • Reply 102 of 110
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

It's nonsense. A smaller screen size would affect all 100,000 apps currently for sale in the App Store. It's speculation by people who have no idea what they're talking about.

Talk about having 'no idea' what they're talking about...

What difference does the screen size matter as long as the resolution remains the same, and in the case of the rather low-resolution display of the current iPhone, there really is no issue here - At All
  • Reply 103 of 110
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Absolutely unlikely. The year of 2010 is that of LTE. And Apple will create a device following before-yesterday technology? Unlikely.
  • Reply 104 of 110
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

... and if this 'new' Verizon iPhone still sports an archaic 320x480 screen resolution, mediocre media player sound quality, no media card slot, and an OS completely on 'lock down', I'll still be using my far more technologically advanced DROID.

What is wrong with the sounds quality of the iPhone? iLounge reports it to be superb. What testing have you seen to show that Motorola outshines Apple in sound quality?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Talk about having 'no idea' what they're talking about...

What difference does the screen size matter as long as the resolution remains the same, and in the case of the rather low-resolution display of the current iPhone, there really is no issue here - At All

Resolution is pointless if the items get to small to be read from a comfortable distance or items now too small to be used easily with fingers.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Absolutely unlikely. The year of 2010 is that of LTE. And Apple will create a device following before-yesterday technology? Unlikely.

I?m not sure I understand your post. Are you saying that Apple with create an LTE iPhone in 2010?
  • Reply 105 of 110
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChickenHawk View Post

There's nothing physically stopping those 90 million customers moving to a GSM/UMTS based network. There is however something stopping the most of the world moving to a CDMA network (in that, they don't exist in too many places).

Why increase costs when you don't have to?

Yeah, its called the GSM UTMS network itself. In the United States its beyond terrible. The CDMA network, on the other hand has excellent coverage. People like it when their phone actually works.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I would also like to see Apple give the iPhone to T-Mobile next. More for the sake of the US mobile industry. I think we at least need three healthy telcoms. Verizon and AT&T's dominance is not a good thing.

Problem is that T-Mobile USA's network might actually be worse than AT&Ts. They also partner with affiliates (rather than operating themselves) in some markets, and Apple might have to have separate agreements with them.
  • Reply 106 of 110
    they make it sound like you have to pay the ETF AND lose your subsidy price-- you dont. If you want to buy the droid now and then buy the iphone when it comes out, depending on when it comes out (you can get a yearly subsidized phone), you can just buy it at retail... no 350 ETF. That is only if you want out of your contract.
  • Reply 107 of 110
    So what about WiMax/TDMA?! Is Sprint/Nextel SOL?
  • Reply 108 of 110
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

B.S. The next phone will be LTE capable for 4G roll out, not CMDA enabled.

The article claimed that it would take years for Verizon to buildout its LTE network. If that's the case, and if your claim about no Verizon 3G iPhone is true, then the iPhone would either have to wait a few years to come to Verizon, or it could be brought to Verizon early, during the network buildout. In the latter case, Verizon's LTE coverage map will initially look even more spotty than the current AT&T map that they are mercilessly bashing.

Any way you look at it, coming to Verizon is going to involve some engineering compromises, pain and/or delays. So I don't think it is a valid argument to dismiss any particular route just because it is painful. They all are.

Thompson
  • Reply 109 of 110
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Resolution is pointless if the items get to small to be read from a comfortable distance or items now too small to be used easily with fingers.

Which wouldn't be a problem if Apple could actually release and use resolution independence.

Quote:

I’m not sure I understand your post. Are you saying that Apple with create an LTE iPhone in 2010?

I don't know why anyone would say that. I doubt that's going to happen unless there are enough towers to make it worth implementing. Is the standard even finalized?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

So what about WiMax/TDMA?! Is Sprint/Nextel SOL?

WiMax doesn't seem to be the technology that's set for global mobile phone use. It's several years behind schedule, if it wasn't repeatedly delayed, it probably would have had a chance.
  • Reply 110 of 110
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Which wouldn't be a problem if Apple could actually release and use resolution independence.

I?m curious how they?ll handle this since they haven?t been forcing RI for the iPhone OS SDK.

Just to be clear DaHarder thinks that as long you use the same resolution you can make the screen any size but fails to see how that smaller size can affect the usability of the device since it?s not just for output but also for input. This shouldn?t be a hard concept but on the MacRumors forums they had plenty of issues with this concept when I suggested that a 3.5? display is the smallest Apple will go with this iPhone when a 2.8? was suggested. Unless Apple plans to have an new UI for a smaller device then 3.5? looks to be canon for the iPhone.