Quote:
    Originally Posted by caljomac View Post

Hahah...it's totally unlike apple to cock up a major firmware release

software, not firmware.
  • Reply 22 of 68
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 7Aces View Post

One day too late, AFTER I had to resync my 140 GBs of content...

And what exactly will Apple do about the people who don't sync their Apple TV to a computer, whose content suddenly vanished due to Apple's negligence?

Whine, whine, whine.

The AppleTV is a syncing device, it has no content of it's own and the only way you'd ever lose any content is to use it in an un-prescribed fashion as you appear to be doing. You hacks your devices, you takes your chances.

At the very least, it's *your* responsibility to back up content if you are eschewing the use of the built in services of the product itself.
  • Reply 23 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

... Embarrassing that a glitch like that could actually get out. This is solid proof that their quality control is not very good. ...

Actually the presence of a single error is *not* "solid proof that their quality isn't any good." I mean think about what you just wrote for a second. It's absolute nonsense.
  • Reply 24 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Can they do the same with the iPhone now please? Since the last firmware update the iPhone has had the 'no content' bug too... (check the official Apple support forum for lots of people complaining about this)

This is actually a fairly rare and completely unrelated bug though. There is no connection between the two, and so no rational reason to expect the fix for one to be the fix for the other. The AppleTV bug is far more serious and affects everyone. The iPhone bug is more of a rare annoyance.
  • Reply 25 of 68
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Whine, whine, whine.

The AppleTV is a syncing device, it has no content of it's own and the only way you'd ever lose any content is to use it in an un-prescribed fashion as you appear to be doing. You hacks your devices, you takes your chances.

At the very least, it's *your* responsibility to back up content if you are eschewing the use of the built in services of the product itself.

Not only is your AppleTV not working for you, take a little ridicule with that. I guess that is classic adding insult to injury.
  • Reply 26 of 68
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Apple seems to be adding this new disappearing data stuff into their devices, is this a new premium feature ive missed?
  • Reply 27 of 68
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    I paid attention to the email a bit too late. My content got wiped but update and 100GB resync went smooth. What's this about a reinstall that made things faster? I use my iPhone to control and haven't noticed a slowdown.

Edit: Jeez, people whine about everything. Is this the first software release ending in a .0 that's had issues? If you can't manage the risk wait for a .1 version.
  • Reply 28 of 68
    7aces7aces Posts: 11member
    Quote:

Whine, whine, whine.

If this vital piece of information had somehow miraculously passed by you before making such a statement, let me enlighten you:

One of the major selling points of the Apple TV Take 2 was that NO COMPUTER IS REQUIRED. Lucky for me I sync mine to a computer and as such I have not lost any content, and I have certainly not hacked my device (a conclusion you pulled out of I-don't-know-where).

However, for the people who acquire content directly from the iTunes Store on the Apple TV without ever connecting to a computer, they are far worse off should all their content have disappeared - which was my original point, something you would know had you actually read my post.
  • Reply 29 of 68
    Quote:

I realize you are trying to be funny, but you really should stick to commenting on things you know something about. Asserting/assuming 'facts' such as 'AppleTV is a syncing device with no content of its own,' 'using in un-prescribed fashion,' and 'hacking' make no sense.

No one is whining. People are, however, most certainly suggesting that Apple could have waited a couple of more weeks to roll this out, instead of imposing a major annoyance on its users. It is not as though there was some publicly announced deadline that the company was attempting to meet (as with, say, SL).
  • Reply 30 of 68
    Quote:

If this vital piece of information had somehow miraculously passed by you before making such a statement, let me enlighten you..... my original point, something you would know had you actually read my post.

You're way too polite. Welcome.
  • Reply 31 of 68
    morkymorky Posts: 200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Since people already have Cable or Satellite, why are they buying video content for the AppleTV when they are already paying for it through their provider?

In NYC, I have Time Warner, and the video on demand choices are limited. The Apple TV has a much larger selection, and the list is growing. Plus I can rip my daughter's DVDs and put them on the Apple TV so she doesn't destroy them, as kids tend to do. Also, automatically syncing my music to the Apple TV means I can play my entire music collection through my stereo, controlled through the remote app on my iPhone or iPod Touch. It's about the ecosystem, if you buy into it.
  • Reply 32 of 68
    Quote:

Actually the presence of a single error is *not* "solid proof that their quality isn't any good." I mean think about what you just wrote for a second. It's absolute nonsense.

No, actually for a device who's 'sole' purpose is to accept data, store it on the drive, and then play it back, it's sole mechanism (as far as syncing goes) was broken. That's a horrible lack of testing and definitely points to a lack of QA.
  • Reply 33 of 68
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

More lipstick on the pig.

Interent TVs are selling like mad, You get a choice of Amazon, Netflix, and Blockbuster rentals- directly- wirelessly. Not just Samsung rentals or Sony rentals but real rentals from all of the big 3.

Not just itunes. AppleTv is done. Please pull the fork out- NOW.

Back to your usual stupidity I see. How long till you're banned again.
  • Reply 34 of 68
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

No, actually for a device who's 'sole' purpose is to accept data, store it on the drive, and then play it back, it's sole mechanism (as far as syncing goes) was broken. That's a horrible lack of testing and definitely points to a lack of QA.

You're all wrong. It is that, but that's masking the fact that sripped down it's basically an iTunes DIGITAL JuKEBOX who's sole purpose is to get you to spend more and more money in iTune$ - be that music , video rentasl or purchases. Apple should charge only $50 for it as its use is VERY limited. It's a vending machine!!!!
  • Reply 35 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Back to your usual stupidity I see. How long till you're banned again.

What's you're problem? Did you get burnt on an AppleTV too?

You post drivel like that yet I'm stupid???
  • Reply 36 of 68
    Quote:

It's a single failure. The first in multiple updates over several years. No data is lost, and they jumped right on it and issued a fix almost immediately after discovery.

To translate that into ... "proof that their QA is bad" is just hyperbole.
  • Reply 37 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I realize you are trying to be funny, but you really should stick to commenting on things you know something about. Asserting/assuming 'facts' such as 'AppleTV is a syncing device with no content of its own,' 'using in un-prescribed fashion,' and 'hacking' make no sense.

No one is whining. People are, however, most certainly suggesting that Apple could have waited a couple of more weeks to roll this out, instead of imposing a major annoyance on its users. It is not as though there was some publicly announced deadline that the company was attempting to meet (as with, say, SL).

I may have used some terms that were more colloquial, but the fact remains that this is a bug that does not result in any data loss at all. If you had data on the AppleTV that wasn't synced you are very much "not doing it right" (or using it in an unprescribed fashion as I said in a more mangled way earlier).

Your mistake, yet you blame Apple.

To me that's "whining."
  • Reply 38 of 68
    Quote:

It's a single failure. The first in multiple updates over several years. No data is lost, and they jumped right on it and issued a fix almost immediately after discovery.

To translate that into ... "proof that their QA is bad" is just hyperbole.

You mean the AppleTV is a TOTAL Failure - a 3 year old "hobby" which only Apple fanbois are buying. AppleTV's technology is old and stale. HDTVs and Blu-ray players have basically all of its wireless features and then some built into them now. A sad failure for Apple due to their iTunes greed.
  • Reply 39 of 68
    Quote:

I... One of the major selling points of the Apple TV Take 2 was that NO COMPUTER IS REQUIRED. Lucky for me I sync mine to a computer and as such I have not lost any content, and I have certainly not hacked my device (a conclusion you pulled out of I-don't-know-where)....

I did read the post, and the "hacking" comment was related to my assumption that if you had un-synced content then you must be using Boxee or Hulu or one of the other hacks. If you want to be fair you have to admit that this is the most likely conclusion anyone could come to.

You are right in that I forgot about the fact that it can be used without a computer though. An oversight on my part for sure. That must be a very small category of people however, one even you yourself admit you are not a part of. This bug probably would bite hardest then, for the low end "mom and pop" user that doesn't have a computer.

It's still not going to result in data loss though, because all the content in that case would be bought from the Apple store and could be re-downloaded without a problem. The very few users in that situation might not know that though.
  • Reply 40 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

Not only is your AppleTV not working for you, take a little ridicule with that. I guess that is classic adding insult to injury.

Apologies if I came across that way. It was not my intention.