Google to have larger iPhone ad presence with AdMob acquisition

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Google's purchase of AdMob Inc. will make it the Internet's largest mobile advertising company, and CEO Eric Schmidt said the acquisition will allow Google to have a presence in more iPhone applications.

AdMob currently sells advertisements that appear in popular free iPhone App Store software like Yelp and Tap Tap. Schmidt told Bloomberg that he would like to see expanded ad-supported content on Google's Android mobile operating system, much like on Apple's handset.

"One the key success points for the iPhone was this enormous development of apps, and particularly free apps, which are advertising supported," Schmidt said. "Now that we have our Android platform coming out, and really with some serious partners behind it, it will also be important to have that be true for Android as well as the others."

The AdMob acquisition will help Google enter a market on the iPhone where it has only tested the waters so far. Google began a revenue-sharing pilot program to place targeted advertising in applications in June. But Schmidt said that mobile revenue is growing faster than regular revenue, and Google wants to expand its role even further in the mobile phone space.

The $750 million purchase of AdMob, announced this week, is the third-largest acquisition in Google history, behind only the $3.2 billion purchase of DoubleClick -- another online advertiser -- in 2008, and the $1.65 billion takeover of YouTube in 2006.

Google's presence on the iPhone outside of advertising is already large, with the YouTube and Maps applications as native software on the platform. The search giant also has a number of additional applications available for download on the App Store, including Google Earth and Google Mobile.

Google would like to have an even larger presence on the iPhone, but a number of disputes with Apple have led to the appearance of tension between the two technology companies. Apple's non-acceptance of the Google Voice telephony application led to an FCC investigation into the role each company played. Apple and Google also publicly traded barbs over whether the App Store submission was not accepted or flat-out rejected.

As Google looks to grow in advertising and applications on the iPhone, its Android mobile operating system continues to expand to a number of handsets as it aims to compete with the iPhone. Most recently, the much-hyped Motorola Droid was released on Verizon and earned positive reviews.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    Great acquisition for google
  • Reply 2 of 31
    ajitmdajitmd Posts: 365member
    Google is trying to control the mobile advertising... freeloading on somebody's platform. At some point will have to try to control this space or at least get a cut from Google.

Goog is behaving like a parasite.
  • Reply 3 of 31
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Are Goolgle's aps to be less censored and more open?
  • Reply 4 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post

Google is trying to control the mobile advertising... freeloading on somebody's platform. At some point will have to try to control this space or at least get a cut from Google.

Goog is behaving like a parasite.

As if tagging Safari to Itunes updates on PCs isn't? HA!

Just skip the ads. Do you read every the Droid and Pre ads on AI? Do you curse their first born as well?
  • Reply 5 of 31
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post

Google is trying to control the mobile advertising... freeloading on somebody's platform.

$750M is hardly freeloading.
  • Reply 6 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Great acquisition for google

Well, assuming the FTC and DOJ allow it to happen.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    I realize that Google's principal business is ads, but I don't like the idea that Google will be tracking everything thing I do on my cellphone; who I call, my contacts, my searches, etc. etc.

God forbid, I start getting pop-ups on my phone.
  • Reply 8 of 31
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joe in miami View Post

I realize that Google's principal business is ads, but I don't like the idea that Google will be tracking everything thing I do on my cellphone; who I call, my contacts, my searches, etc.

Google won't be tracking who you call, or your contacts, ever. Unless you for some social reason you want that. It will be opt in if it does happen, and if it is you can't complain. At the end of the day if you get stuff for free you should expect some ad, sometimes.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

At the end of the day if you get stuff for free you should expect some ad, sometimes.

You should always expect either an ad or being tracked. Nothing is free.
  • Reply 10 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Google won't be tracking who you call, or your contacts, ever. Unless you for some social reason you want that. It will be opt in if it does happen, and if it is you can't complain. At the end of the day if you get stuff for free you should expect some ad, sometimes.

They spent almost a billion dollars, dude. Some people, a lot of people are going to get pelted with ads on their cellphones.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Security gone the wayside, I'm going to give all my data to Google, so they can pollute my life with even more ads.
  • Reply 12 of 31
    This is a great move by google, but i have to agree that they are behaving a bit like parasites now. Its not wrong of them to do this by any sorts.

Its funny when one company's product is so successful that it influences multi milionn dollar aquisitions.
  • Reply 13 of 31
    I am reading about the Android OS left and right.

Including the new deal that Google bought Admob.

I believe the real enemy for the iPhone/Apple could become Google.

Apple is ages behind when it comes to online applications of their own with their Mobile Me.

They charge money for it. 99$ a year.

Google is developing ALL there services in a web browser.

That means they don't have the problem that Microsoft has to be compatible with all the suppliers of hardware.

Google builds more and more integrated services for on the road.

In the end Apple will loose this battle since they don't have anything for on the road except their 100.000 applications.

All these applications builders can move overnight to fill Google's application store, and leave Apple behind.

Google will charge (in the beginning) nothing and get their money from adds.

Application builders will get a piece of the add cake. With Apple they only get once money if they don't add admob ;-).

Conclusion:

On the move you primarily need Mail, GPS, Compass, Google info , reading MS word excel, Yellow pages, Google Voice and video), Youtube ( also owned by Google), StreetView and small smart applications that use all the before in a creative way.

ALL this is OWNED or CONTROLLED by Google.

Result: Third companies will build dirt cheap hardware that runs the free Android OS and uses the full Google eco web based software system.

Apple will get pushed in the corner with Music and desktop applications and sexy (expensive) hardware.

Music companies would love to see their monopoly broken by somebody.

Steve said several times indirectly: "It's the software stupid". Google has way more software for the road then Apple.

Maybe, maybe Apple has a solution up there sleeves to fight back with their data ware house but I doubt that.

I believe it's time to start moving your stocks by middle 2010 from Apple towards Google.

Keep this mail for future reference ;-)

Regards
  • Reply 14 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jean-Pierre Bobbaers View Post

Apple is ages behind when it comes to online applications of their own with their Mobile Me.

That means they don't have the problem that Microsoft has to be compatible with all the suppliers of hardware.

In the end Apple will loose this battle since they don't have anything for on the road except their 100.000 applications.

All these applications builders can move overnight to fill Google's application store, and leave Apple behind.

Application builders will get a piece of the add cake. With Apple they only get once money if they don't add admob ;-).

Conclusion:

On the move you primarily need Mail, GPS, Compass, Google info , reading MS word excel, Yellow pages, Google Voice and video), Youtube ( also owned by Google), StreetView and small smart applications that use all the before in a creative way.

Result: Third companies will build dirt cheap hardware that runs the free Android OS and uses the full Google eco web based software system.

Apple will get pushed in the corner with Music and desktop applications and sexy (expensive) hardware.

Steve said several times indirectly: "It's the software stupid". Google has way more software for the road then Apple.

Maybe, maybe Apple has a solution up there sleeves to fight back with their data ware house but I doubt that.

I believe it's time to start moving your stocks by middle 2010 from Apple towards Google.

Regards

Those who underestimate Apple, do so at their peril.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    Quote:

Google could be the new IBM/MIcrosoft nightmare for Apple

Actually, Google already is the new IBM/Microsoft nightmare for Microsoft.
  • Reply 16 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Actually, Google already is the new IBM/Microsoft nightmare for Microsoft.

Now that's the most nonsensical post of the decade.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Those who underestimate Apple, do so at their peril.

Yes Master!
  • Reply 18 of 31
    Consider what Google has gained by owning YouTube:

1. YouTube gains Google a critical slice of growing online video eyeballs, which will attract more marketing dollars to the Internet as a whole;

2. YouTube gains Google yet more important meta-data which can be cross-pollinated with data from other Google services;

3. YouTube traffic strengthens Google specifically in peering negotiations and generally in network design;

4. YouTube is probably a small fraction of Google?s overall cost base, and the spin-off benefits from lower overall unit costs;and

5. YouTube positions Google very powerfully for a key role as a gatekeeper in the copyright world.

Android roll-out will capture more CONTROL over our lives.
  • Reply 19 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Yes Master!

Ok my apple people, we need to chill out.

Google is not at war with Apple, they both need and want each others business. This was a great acquisition for Google, they do web advertising very well... it is essentially their core business and I would rather see google ads then ad mob ads. Although honestly, who really notices them anyways?

At the end of the day Apple needs a major competitor to drive them to make better stuff and I can't think of a better company then Google. While I'm not ready to give up my iphone for a Droid, I don't see where any of this is bad for the overall health of the mobile web.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:

Conclusion:

Regards

at one point mainframes ruled because what was PC's back then had limited hardware. in the 1980's and 90's as hardware prices dropped mainframes became a niche product. same here, as mobile phones grow in hardware specs we'll see less and less need for a "cloud" because you will be able to store data locally

google is doing the same thing that Danger/MS did with their phone. dumb down the hardware and software to keep you tied to the cloud. i like reading the NY Times app in the NYC subway