Inside Google's Android and Apple's iPhone OS as advancing technology

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jon T View Post

Which all points towards the iPhone being the iPod of smartphones.

50+ percent market share is very very likely.

I can see a handset profit marketshare exceeding 50%, but more than 50% of even the smartphone unit market seems unlikely to me.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Numerous out of 100,000 have been rejected?

I asked my lab staff to name them. Came up with a couple.

Can you name them? I would be interested in passing the information on.

They’ve actually rejected more than 1000 apps. One was 900 apps at once from one developer who was spamming. Of course, this is rejection after they realized what they were doing.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Erunno View Post

Gecko can't be used by default since it's much more than a web engine: It's a complete development environment including GUI toolkit, network handling, etc. Mozilla is close to releasing their first mobile browser (Fennec) and hell will freeze over before Apple allows it on the iPhone.

Mozilla has effectively lost their place on the mobile market. Way to slow porting Firefox 3 to Fennec. Maemo won’t likely be their saviour. I hope Nokia is getting some of the ad revenue or a fee from Mozilla because they need Nokia more than Nokia needs them. WebKit has been adopted on all the relevant mobile OSes at this point. Mozilla’s only chance is to make Feneec so good for Android that people adopt it in droves the way they adopted Firefox on Windows, and even that is not even close to the same situation when you compare WebKit w/V8 on Android to IE 6 on Windows. I wish them luck but it’s not looking good.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

No doubt you'll be pleased to know that "Pull my Finger" is available in the Android market along with many other similar applications.

If I remember correctly "Pull my Finger" was originally rejected by the App store but was approved after howls of protest from aficionados of fart Apps.

What’s funny is the same trolls that complain that the App Store nothing but crap are also the biggest advocates that Apple shouldn’t monitor or prevent what apps get into the store. Somehow, Teckstudian Logic can’t see that by having no checks and balances the store would be even worse off than now.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Then those websites are not targeted at mobile web browsing devices, any web developer worth his salt will provide alternatives for other platforms, specifically the iPhone which has consistently been shown to dominate mobile web browsing.

Flash 10 for mobiles hasn't even been released yet, Nokia's N900 will have Flash 9 support but this is incompatible with Flash 10, so again who should purely Flash based web site developers target?

This is another odd situation that trolls like to bring up with thinking through it. Flash sucks on Mac OS X. Flash is resource hog and battery drain. Flash Lite can’t play streaming videos. Those Flash-only websites are designed for desktop display sized and resolutions. Flash 10 still isn’t on Android or WinMo or WebOS or any other mobile OS yet the trolls complain that Apple didn’t add over two years with the original iPhone.
  • Reply 42 of 56
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whatisgoingon View Post

2. The problem faced by other's trying to make a 'better' OS than the iPhone OS available for licensing by multiple phone manufacturers is that there's no money in it for anybody to provide upgrades. Google effectively has do it for free (update Android), just so manufacturers will use it in their phones (so Google can advertise on them). Microsoft licenses it, and doesn't provide free upgrades for major revisions of the OS. Phone manufacturers have no incentive to upgrade the OS for existing, sold phones unless there is a widespread problem with the OS (a vulnerability or significant problem that is actually being exploited) as again, it's work being done for free. They would much rather have you buy a new phone to get a new OS with new capabilities instead. And the carriers (who also 'work' on the OS by crippling it and/or making it so it points to using their services) also don't make any additional money by providing free upgrades to end-users. This free upgrade model only works for Apple because there isn't anybody between them and end-users (as in, they don't let carriers cripple the OS for the carriers benefit). Everybody gets the same OS.

correct. one flat-out proof of the value of Apple's approach is that a used 2007 2G 8G iPhone is just about to sell for $170 on eBay (i just looked). you show me any other 2 year old used phone of any kind that sells for even $100. $50 is more likely.
  • Reply 43 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

correct. one flat-out proof of the value of Apple's approach is that a used 2007 2G 8G iPhone is just about to sell for $170 on eBay (i just looked). you show me any other 2 year old used phone of any kind that sells for even $100. $50 is more likely.

Speaking of? the 3G can be sold used at a price that will get you a 3GS with a new contract at cost. Pretty crazy! I sold my original iPhone for over $650 after using it for nearly year.
  • Reply 44 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Speaking of? the 3G can be sold used at a price that will get you a 3GS with a new contract at cost. Pretty crazy! I sold my original iPhone for over $650 after using it for nearly year.

I guess that's what people don't see when they start talking about the "Apple tax". Probably because they know that when they buy a cheap PC they can't give it away when their needs change.

Even stuff that's not quite ready for prime time like the Apple TV still gets a pretty penny in the used market.

Resale isn't really talked about in consumer products I guess. Anybody wanna buy a HD DVD Player?
  • Reply 45 of 56
    erunnoerunno Posts: 225member
    Quote:

Mozilla has effectively lost their place on the mobile market. Way to slow porting Firefox 3 to Fennec. Maemo won’t likely be their saviour. I hope Nokia is getting some of the ad revenue or a fee from Mozilla because they need Nokia more than Nokia needs them. WebKit has been adopted on all the relevant mobile OSes at this point. Mozilla’s only chance is to make Feneec so good for Android that people adopt it in droves the way they adopted Firefox on Windows, and even that is not even close to the same situation when you compare WebKit w/V8 on Android to IE 6 on Windows. I wish them luck but it’s not looking good.

True, although it doesn't have anything to do with my original point. Mozilla indeed became complacent for some time and maybe a tad too conservative but now that there's strong competition from another open source project they seem to have understood the message and are improving at a rapid pace. As long as they can keep their >20 percent of the market share at least their annually money fix from Google is guaranteed.

We'll see how Fennec works. Problem is, that on one of the largest smartphone platforms (iPhone) simply denies access so we'll probably never now which percentage of users would prefer it to Mobile Safari.
  • Reply 46 of 56
    bongobongo Posts: 158member
    The topics of the articles are good. Its a shame they reek of bias in practically every paragraph. Do they just reprint this tripe straight off an Apple press release? Maybe appleinsider's new motto should be "Fair and Balanced". About like Fox news is. It makes me wonder what the cult of Apple is so scared of, that they have to resort to journalism like this. Maybe its the fact that there will be 50 different Android phones out by next summer... supported by a myriad of marketing budgets from manufacturers and carriers alike. We went through the open vs. closed fight once before with Apple in the PC market... Apple never cracked 10% market share, while Microsoft cruises above 90%. And the difference this time is that Google is no Microsoft, they can actually write solid code. And they have the power of free working for them. Android will overtake iPhone within 2 years, and never look back.
  • Reply 47 of 56
    hutchohutcho Posts: 132member
    Were these articles written by Steve Jobs himself? I couldn't imagine him doing a better job at pointing out only the positives of the iPhone, the negatives of Android and some made up stuff in between.

I'm sure the fan boys here are lapping it up though.
  • Reply 48 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Like what?

I gather you don't know how much support Apple provides during the developing process.

Is that so? Not according to Adobe. http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/f...ppsfor_iphone/

Interesting. So why weren't they able to do so for the past 20 years or so?

So click on his name and address him directly.

Why don't you go ask one of the most notorious iPhone app developers that just gave up on creating apps for the iPhone because of the many issues that were state...I can't remember his name off the top of my head but he brought you the Facebook app. It's been all over the web lately.
  • Reply 49 of 56
    This is about as bogus of an article as I can ever recall. Next time, please put your love affair with Apple aside and do your job (not Jobs) by doing some real analytical reporting.
  • Reply 50 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kalkap View Post

Why don't you go ask one of the most notorious iPhone app developers that just gave up on creating apps for the iPhone because of the many issues that were state...I can't remember his name off the top of my head but he brought you the Facebook app. It's been all over the web lately.

Pros and cons for every situation. The iPhone FB app is so far ahead of any other mobile platform because of the tools Apple offers I have no doubt that it will continue to be the best for a long time. That developer is passing the torch of this free app to another developer so it?s not like it will be languishing from a lack of support .
  • Reply 51 of 56
    Quote:

Pros and cons for every situation. The iPhone FB app is so far ahead of any other mobile platform because of the tools Apple offers I have no doubt that it will continue to be the best for a long time. That developer is passing the torch of this free app to another developer so it?s not like it will be languishing from a lack of support .

He did pass it off, but the point is that the facts that were brought forward in the previous posts are very much valid. Points that can't be ignored as they very well could become big issues for Apple if they don't play their cards correctly.
  • Reply 52 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by /usr/bin View Post

Well, it is Dan.

Right. I can't say I care about your list. But I'm sure you're right.

However, that is interesting.

Oh, dear, this is the point at which my eyes start to glaze over. An iPhone is a choice, too, and if it's a better one, that's the one I'll make.

I think there's a certain type of American mind that throws words like "choice" down like magical tokens. (The same is done with "freedom".) Perhaps it's a relic of the Cold War ...

But we shouldn't stop thinking just because someone uses a talismanic word such as "choice". And we shouldn't assume that just because someone uses the word he's offering us what we want.

Now, some choices are meaningful: shall I listen to some quiet impressionistic piano music or to some rousing orchestral piece? Some choices exclude others: you can't serve two moods at once.

It seems to me it's just not like that with smartphones. They all do much the same. The only question is how well they do it. What this scenario might be about is: do I want a device that succeeds superbly at what it sets out to do, or do I want one of a set of devices that all fail in slightly different ways?

Am I supposed to be more likely to buy an Android device without a keyboard because I know I could have bought one with a keyboard? That just doesn't make sense.

Or is this some kind of ideological shibboleth? I buy an Android device, because I want to bathe in the warm glow that comes from knowing that Google is "serving choice" and I'm part of that? Maybe so that I can boast that I've done that. But that's just crazy.

Or maybe "choice" is supposed to be some sort of strategic advantage: because of choice Google gets to mop up people who want square devices really badly and people who will touch no device that isn't oblong ... or something. Well, good luck with that.

I don't own an iPhone. I use a pay-as-you-go but also have a Touch for the PDA stuff. But, while I'm sure you have put the journalist right on a few details, nothing you've said would convince me to buy an Android device, if I were in the market for a smartphone. You seem to be arguing for the platform, but all you can really say in its favour is that it offers "choice" -- so what? -- and not that it is in any way better than any rival -- iPhone, Palm Pre, whathaveyou ...

This is the kind of thing that matters -- Google only offering 256MB storage for apps:

http://androidandme.com/2009/10/news...d-android-2-0/

I can tell you for nothing that if there were no other advantages enjoyed by the iPhone (and there are many) people will not be binning their iPhones any time soon in favour of a device that doesn't give them space to let them run all the apps they might want.

Here we go with this app crap again. First and foremost, a phone is suppose to be a phone, so until iPhone ditches AT&T, that alone makes it second to something like the Droid. There is no argument that can be made for this.

On to the apps. How many apps exactly do you have on your iPhone? My wifes Droid at the moment has 26 apps on it right now and it shows that it still has 162 MB of memory left. FYI, I txt'd a buddy with an iPhone and asked how many he had on his and he has 42 at the moment but is deleting some soon.

So yes, it definitely could benefit from having more app memory, I fail to see how it's a major factor as you in most cases will not actively use that many apps. Could be wrong, but I don't see 90% of people exceeding the amount of apps that you can use on Droid.
  • Reply 53 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kalkap View Post

Here we go with this app crap again. First and foremost, a phone is suppose to be a phone, so until iPhone ditches AT&T, that alone makes it second to something like the Droid. There is no argument that can be made for this.

On to the apps. How many apps exactly do you have on your iPhone? My wifes Droid at the moment has 26 apps on it right now and it shows that it still has 162 MB of memory left. FYI, I txt'd a buddy with an iPhone and asked how many he had on his and he has 42 at the moment but is deleting some soon.

So yes, it definitely could benefit from having more app memory, I fail to see how it's a major factor as you in most cases will not actively use that many apps. Could be wrong, but I don't see 90% of people exceeding the amount of apps that you can use on Droid.

My AT&T service has been more than adequate since getting the iPhone. It's the additional services that is getting me to buy 450 minutes a month that I don't need and the unlimited data that I readily abuse.

Android apps have to be small beause of the space constraints. The aux files on the microSD card is less than ideal. You can't really compare how much the apps will use when the environmenta force considerably smaller and less robust apps on the devs due to the HW. This won't last long and Android apps will get considerably better because of it.
  • Reply 54 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Apple wants their iphone to remain just that, an iphone. Having people replace your core apps and dialer to them, at least, means a dilution of their image. To them, whenever you see an iphone, they always want you to see their home screen and their stuff.

The whole "we don't know" if Apple will reject an app is ridiculous; that article quoted clearly states their rules, and the app was clearly rejected for defamatory reasons. The last time Apple decided not to follow those rules they ended up with bad PR over the baby shaker app. Notice how Apple took all the flak, and not the developer of the app.

If you think developers will jump ship to a platform with so little users, you are wrong. If people start buying Android phones in mass, then they will consider it.

Google doesn't care because they aren't in the business of selling phones or Android - all they want is ad revenue, so they don't care if one phone works completely different than another.

You might want to check your stats again about other platforms because whether you want to admit it or not, Google OS phones are here and they are coming in force. This isn't just a Droid thing either. Speaking of the Droid, take a look at the first week of sales. They are no laughing matter. And I DON'T want to hear about how the sales pale in comparison to the iPhone sales over the first week as they can't be compared. Droid was released just in the US while the iPhone was released in something like 10 different countries. iPhone is a very good phone, but there are significant flaws.

But again, this deal isn't just about the Droid but the Google platform in general which is just now getting a full head of steam and your foolish to think it's not going to continue to grow at a very strong pace.
  • Reply 55 of 56
    Quote:

My AT&T service has been more than adequate since getting the iPhone. It's the additional services that is getting me to buy 450 minutes a month that I don't need and the unlimited data that I readily abuse.

Android apps have to be small beause of the space constraints. The aux files on the microSD card is less than ideal. You can't really compare how much the apps will use when the environmenta force considerably smaller and less robust apps on the devs due to the HW. This won't last long and Android apps will get considerably better because of it.

I have a work phone via AT&T and I can't say the same for service compared to my Verizon phone. Luckily I have a large enough family plan because I often find myself using my personal verizon phone for work purposes because of the lack of or poor quality with the AT&T phone.

With some real phone competition out there now, hopefully the wireless companies will learn a few things from what is going on now with coverage/phones etc, that us the customer will start to get some real choice on phones AND network vice one or the other.
  • Reply 56 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whatisgoingon View Post

1. It's not possible to know (outside of Apple) how many apps have been rejected. Apple actually changed their iPhone developer agreement to prohibit developers from publicizing rejections (although some still do). It is impossible (again, outside of Apple) to know whether it is better to keep trying to resolve issues with the app store rejection team to get your app approved, or after trying for a month or two, going public to try to embarrass Apple into actually dealing with the problem. From the reports where developers "go public", it appears to help, as it seems to actually escalate the issue to someone who actually works with the developer to resolve the issues. Reports from developers who don't go public (who just publish a blog of their experience after the fact) seem to indicate that the front-line 'reviewers' (at least the ones rejecting apps for seemingly non-sensicle reasons), you (the developer) can't expect ANY movement from the reviewer. You have to make whatever changes they direct, and there is NO discussion/compromise on any issue.

2. The problem faced by other's trying to make a 'better' OS than the iPhone OS available for licensing by multiple phone manufacturers is that there's no money in it for anybody to provide upgrades. Google effectively has do it for free (update Android), just so manufacturers will use it in their phones (so Google can advertise on them). Microsoft licenses it, and doesn't provide free upgrades for major revisions of the OS. Phone manufacturers have no incentive to upgrade the OS for existing, sold phones unless there is a widespread problem with the OS (a vulnerability or significant problem that is actually being exploited) as again, it's work being done for free. They would much rather have you buy a new phone to get a new OS with new capabilities instead. And the carriers (who also 'work' on the OS by crippling it and/or making it so it points to using their services) also don't make any additional money by providing free upgrades to end-users. This free upgrade model only works for Apple because there isn't anybody between them and end-users (as in, they don't let carriers cripple the OS for the carriers benefit). Everybody gets the same OS.

Excellent viewpoint! Nothing comes for free. Apple is doing itself and everyone else a favor by controlling the chain and not going through hundred intermediaries.