Apple lifts veil on App Store approval status

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple has added a feature to its Dev Center website allowing developers to view the approval status of submitted apps.



In a move that is sure to please many, developers tell AppleInsider that Apple's Development Center website has added the ability for developers to track the status of apps currently under review. In the past, Apple had notoriously kept developers in the dark about Apple's review and approval process.



There are allegedly nine status levels for submitted applications, including "in review," "ready for sale," and "rejected".



While this update to the Dev Center website may not seem like a major change, it is a step in the right direction towards greater transparency and disclosure about the Application review process.



Some still remain unhappy about Apple's overall App submission process. Joe Hewitt, developer of the Facebook app for the iPhone told TechCrunch Wednesday that he has decided to stop developing for the platform, citing Apple's App Store policies. "I am very concerned that they are setting a horrible precedent for other software platforms," Hewitt reportedly said.



Earlier this year AppleInsider was told, "Many developers are pulling their hair out by the roots" over the approval process. Approvals that once took days were taking months and Apple's response to inquiry about the process was a stock answer or no received answer at all.



After weathering a storm of criticism by developers and pundits alike, Phil Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing directly reached out to the developer community - sending personal responses to many of its high profile critics.







The increasing delay in response times was attributed to Apple not being prepared for the popularity of the App Store and the eagerness of its developers. In response to these complaints, Apple released a new Resource Center for developers in September which offered more information on the approval process. It also reviewed the iPhone Developer Program License Agreement, which reportedly gives Apple the right to reject apps based on a myriad of factors from content to estimated impact on the cellular network.



«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 48
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    I wonder how many apps have been rejected so far? And why?

    Now that's a list I'd like to see.



    for example:

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-10394265-17.html



    and don't forget to read these (very entertaining):

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-10...l;txt#comments
  • Reply 2 of 48
    This status system is still complete horseshit. No developer can figure out where their app is in the review process when all that's displayed is "In Review".



    Heck, my app has been "In Review" since September 24th. And the fucking itunesconnect team isn't answering my e-mails.



    Actually they answered once, pretty much telling me they'll send me an e-mail notification when the review is finished...as if I can't check myself. Apple's App Review process is a failure.



    I'm this close to just porting my app to Android and never developing for the iPhone/iPod ever again.
  • Reply 3 of 48
    I'm usually an early adopter--especially of most things Apple.



    In this case, though, it's just as well that I still have to go down the long runway of learning, C, Obj-C, and Cocoa, etc. before I'll be ready to throw my app submissions on the pile.



    Good to see the process is getting better organized.
  • Reply 4 of 48
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,584member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post


    This status system is still complete horseshit. No developer can figure out where their app is in the review process when all that's displayed is "In Review".



    Heck, my app has been "In Review" since September 24th. And the fucking itunesconnect team isn't answering my e-mails.



    Actually they answered once, pretty much telling me they'll send me an e-mail notification when the review is finished...as if I can't check myself. Apple's App Review process is a failure.



    I'm this close to just porting my app to Android and never developing for the iPhone/iPod ever again.



    Put it up on Cydia.
  • Reply 5 of 48
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 4,418member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post


    This status system is still complete horseshit. No developer can figure out where their app is in the review process when all that's displayed is "In Review".



    Heck, my app has been "In Review" since September 24th. And the fucking itunesconnect team isn't answering my e-mails.



    Actually they answered once, pretty much telling me they'll send me an e-mail notification when the review is finished...as if I can't check myself. Apple's App Review process is a failure.



    I'm this close to just porting my app to Android and never developing for the iPhone/iPod ever again.



    Why not cut them some slack since they are still evolving the entire process? Considering they're only a bit over a year into what is still to this date a very successful Version 1.0 concept compared to the other players.



    If Android has greener pastures for you, then by all means don't let the door hit your a** on the way out.



    And considering your use of language, it's no wonder why they are blowing you off.
  • Reply 6 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post


    Why not cut them some slack since they are still evolving the entire process? Considering they're only a bit over a year into what is still to this date a very successful Version 1.0 concept compared to the other players.



    If Android has greener pastures for you, then by all means don't let the door hit your a** on the way out.



    And considering your use of language, it's no wonder why they are blowing you off.



    It's been 1 1/2 years, and you need to separate the success of the store form a 'downloading application' standpoint and look at it from a developers pov. If you aren't a developer than you can't understand the frustration.



    As far as his language, maybe it's because he's just as frustrated as a lot of developers out there. This process notification doesn't change anything and I'm not even sure how this informs the developer of anything new at all.
  • Reply 7 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post


    Why not cut them some slack since they are still evolving the entire process? Considering they're only a bit over a year into what is still to this date a very successful Version 1.0 concept compared to the other players.



    Yes, very successful, a million apps. So you'd think by now Apple has all its ducks in a row! I'm not a developer thank goodness, because from what I read, Apple is having a "Mini Mobile Me" moment!



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post


    If Android has greener pastures for you, then by all means don't let the door hit your a** on the way out.



    Keeping that attitude, then Apple will have a little over a million apps and Android a billion apps... Being totally sarcastic in my numbers projections but only to make my point.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post


    And considering your use of language, it's no wonder why they are blowing you off.



    Did Apple "blow him off" because of the language or was it Apple "blowing him off" that instigated the language? Kind of like that whole "Which came first, the chicken or the egg" thing?
  • Reply 8 of 48
    Can somebody look up Google Voice and see what the status is? :-)
  • Reply 9 of 48
    About time they come out with this..
  • Reply 10 of 48
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post


    Put it up on Cydia.



    That's only if you want your app *stolen*. I think this guy wants to *sell* it.



    Seriously lame article though given that this system has been in place like two weeks already.
  • Reply 11 of 48
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post


    I'm usually an early adopter--especially of most things Apple.



    In this case, though, it's just as well that I still have to go down the long runway of learning, C, Obj-C, and Cocoa, etc. before I'll be ready to throw my app submissions on the pile.



    Good to see the process is getting better organized.



    Good god, if you don't even know C what the heck are you doing developing in the first place?



    Don't blame the fact that you have to learn *some* computer language on Apple. It's pretty much a given that to be a "developer" of "computer programs" you might need to know how to code.
  • Reply 12 of 48
    Apple is going to have much bigger problems than unhappy developers if they continue down the road they are currently on. Rejecting MAD Magazine's Bobble Rep because of "offensive" political caricatures is heavy-handed and totally unjustified censorship, plain and simple.
  • Reply 13 of 48
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,946member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post


    That's only if you want your app *stolen*. I think this guy wants to *sell* it.



    Seriously lame article though given that this system has been in place like two weeks already.



    Not that it helps if you're looking to make money, but if an app author submits an app to Cydia, I think that constitutes a gift to the community, not theft by the community.
  • Reply 14 of 48
    Boo-hoo.



    So sick of hearing developers whine about a platform created for them to market their silly wares.



    Maybe Apple should start a bottle & diaper changing service to keep the babies happy too?
  • Reply 15 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post


    Good god, if you don't even know C what the heck are you doing developing in the first place?



    Don't blame the fact that you have to learn *some* computer language on Apple. It's pretty much a given that to be a "developer" of "computer programs" you might need to know how to code.



    Hey thanks for the vote of confidence and the sarcasm. Talk about bad manners. Yours stink.



    I'm not blaming Apple for anything.



    There's nothing wrong with starting at square zero when you have to.
  • Reply 16 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post


    Boo-hoo.



    So sick of hearing developers whine about a platform created for them to market their silly wares.



    Maybe Apple should start a bottle & diaper changing service to keep the babies happy too?



    As part of that community, it is not developers who are whining.



    At more than 2,000 apps being approved weekly now, it is amazing how well the process is working.



    Quote:

    Apple: We receive about 8,500 new applications and updates every week, and roughly 20% of them are not approved as originally submitted. In little more than a year, we have reviewed more than 200,000 applications and updates.



    http://www.stoth.com/2009/08/21/app-...nt-to-the-fcc/




    I wonder how many remember what it was like, "Before Apple introduced the iPhone?" http://counternotions.com/2009/08/26/pre-iphone/
  • Reply 17 of 48
    Damn! when did this become the "whiney little bitch message board"?



    Oh, that's right... always.
  • Reply 18 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post


    This status system is still complete horseshit. No developer can figure out where their app is in the review process when all that's displayed is "In Review".



    Heck, my app has been "In Review" since September 24th. And the fucking itunesconnect team isn't answering my e-mails.



    Actually they answered once, pretty much telling me they'll send me an e-mail notification when the review is finished...as if I can't check myself. Apple's App Review process is a failure.



    I'm this close to just porting my app to Android and never developing for the iPhone/iPod ever again.



    I supose you need a timeline:



    8:20am [Sent to QA to beat on: Pass/Fail]



    11:30am [Passed to Sales for idiot proofing: Pass/Fail]



    4:30 pm [Sent to random employee to test in the Bathroom: Pass/Fail]
  • Reply 19 of 48
    I guess it is progress now that there is a status system in place. They don't need to describe every step of the review process, but it would be nice for them to provide a reasonable ETA and a reasonable explanation if it slips significantly. Afterall, the online Apple Store is smart enough to give ship date estimates for Macs and other products. For rejected apps, the screenshot only shows rejected, but I'd be nice if they directly integrated more detailed explanations, which I'm assuming they currently send out in a separate email.
  • Reply 20 of 48
    jon tjon t Posts: 131member
    Funny thing is, I have NEVER heard any iPhone user complain about this process. Or the lack of apps. Or how their phone can't do this or the other.



    In fact you can hear the Microsofties with their doubletalk saying there are already too many apps for the iPhone and how confusing it is... How's about that for irony!



    While Apple is making you developers shedloads of $$$, you would be well advised NOT to kill the goose that lays your golden egg.
Sign In or Register to comment.