Pearl Jam-Greatest band in the known universe

Comments

• Reply 81 of 107
    Reverend Horton Heat Irving Plaza, March 13th and 14th. Already got my tickets.
  • Reply 82 of 107
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    trick:

The Rev Rocks!

I've got Rev stickers all over my box and monitor.

Have you seen him live before?
  • Reply 83 of 107
    Where is Irving Plaza anyway?

As for Phish, saw them a couple of summers ago. Late into the evening (it was outdoors) the crowd suddenly erupted, throwing glowsticks. It was like a metoer shower that didn't want to end. It was the most radical thing I think I ever saw. That's the only Phish concert I ever attended. Is that something that happened a lot at their shows? I suspect here in Hartford we had a lot of "Phish heads" from way back. It's a short drive straight down I-91 from Vermont.
  • Reply 84 of 107
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Sorry, Applenut, I didn't know Phish broke up. Is this true? Living in Hong Kong one doesn't really get the latest news...<hr></blockquote>

Phish broke up a long time ago. At least a year. Seems like it was because Trey was an ass. The minute they broke up he formed his own band and toured.

[quote]

Anyway, Phish are musically one of the most talented bands ever. They can jam forever, and can always come up with something completely new, and overwhelming. Don't diss them until you hear them live.<hr></blockquote>

as long as it sounds like the grateful dead

I hav heard them live numerous times. You don't need to tell me how Phish sound.

If you want jamming bands that don't just bite off of others like Phish then look towards Gov't Mule, Phil Lesh, Bela Fleck and the Fecktones, etc.

[quote]

If you asked them to play like Hendrix, they'd play like Hendrix. Play like BB King, they'd play like BB king.<hr></blockquote>

that's stretching it a bit far. good band but they never sound like either of those 2. the best cover I have heard them do is 5:15.

[quote]If you asked them to play like the average, unoriginal 90's rock and roll style band, they'd play just like Pearl Jam.<hr></blockquote>

rather than a Grateful Dead wannabe? Anything is an improvement

[quote]

And if you asked them to play like Phish, they wouldn't sound like anyone else.<hr></blockquote>

except the Grateful Dead

[quote]

A memorable band has to be original, and Pearl Jam are not.<hr></blockquote>

yea, that was a good one

• Reply 85 of 107
    Groverat I've been fortunate enough to see the Rev twice already. I'd love to get a chance to see him in Texas though!

Roger, Irving Plaza is located in beautiful NYC, not too far from your neck of the woods right?
  • Reply 86 of 107
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Yeah, you gotta see him on his home turf.

His preaching sessions usually involve local figures around here, I can't imagine he knows that much about other places.
  • Reply 87 of 107
    I read just yesterday that one of the guys from Phish was saying "We didn't break up, we're on hiatus." Not that it makes a difference (especially not to me since I don't give a rat's ass about Phish) but I'd hate to have some Phish fan slashing his wrists over slightly inaccurate information about the group's demise.
  • Reply 88 of 107
    [quote]Originally posted by trick fall:

<strong>

Roger, Irving Plaza is located in beautiful NYC, not too far from your neck of the woods right?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I knew that much. I was wondering where in NYC. Manahttan? Brooklyn? If Manhattan, where in Manhattan - midtown?

Never mind. I just found the website.

[ 02-14-2002: Message edited by: roger_ramjet ]</p>
  • Reply 89 of 107
    Applenut, Phish didn't sound like the Dead. They were both jam bands but they had very different sounds.
  • Reply 90 of 107
    Sorry Roger, most people here will generally refer to Manhattan as the city and the other boroughs by their names.
  • Reply 91 of 107
    [quote]Originally posted by sizzle chest:

<strong>I read just yesterday that one of the guys from Phish was saying "We didn't break up, we're on hiatus." Not that it makes a difference (especially not to me since I don't give a rat's ass about Phish) but I'd hate to have some Phish fan slashing his wrists over slightly inaccurate information about the group's demise.</strong><hr></blockquote>

nothing slightly inaccurate. they broke up.

yea, I'm sure the status could have changed to "hiatus" when they realized that none of them had a future as a solo artists and needed cash
  • Reply 92 of 107
    I saw this and thought it might make things interesting. Spin Magazine's top 50 bands of all time:

1) The Beatles

2) Ramones

3) Led Zeppelin

4) Bob Marley and the Wailers

5) Nirvana

6) Parliament/Funkadelic

7) The Clash

8) Public Enemy

9) The Rolling Stones

10) Beastie Boys

11) The Velvet Underground

12) Sly and the Family Stone

13) U2

14) Run-D.M.C.

15) Radiohead

16) The Jimi Hendrix Experience

17) Sonic Youth

18) AC/DC

19) The Stooges

20) Metallica

21) The Smiths

22) Patti Smith Group

23) N.W.A.

24) Kraftwerk

25) The Sex Pistols

26) Pearl Jam

27) Grateful Dead

28) R.E.M.

29) Black Sabbath

30) Pavement

31) Fugazi

32) Kiss

33) Pretenders

34) Rage Against the Machine

35) Fela Kuti & Afrika 70/Egypt 80

36) David Bowie and the Spiders From Mars

37) Blondie

38) Bad Brains

39) The Who

40) Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five

41) New Order

42) Hüsker Dü

43) Guns N' Roses

44) Outkast

45) The Beach Boys

46) Massive Attack

47) Lynrd Skynrd

48) KoRn

49) Pink Floyd

50) Red Hot Chili Peppers
  • Reply 93 of 107
    sebseb Posts: 676member
    Wow. Interesting list. I can't agree with the order, but I'd agree with most of the bands.

I'm not much of a Phish fan. I think, being a jam band, they're not the kind of musicians that 'hook you' with a CD. But I don't think they sound much like The Dead, even though they have that kind of fan base etc. They might have the same style, but a different sound.

Once, (some time ago) a friend of mine won two good tickets to go see Phish at Sandstone in KC so we went up there with these uh, tainted cubes. Well, we weren't familiar with the music at all and of course the rest of the crowd was. My friend and I sat, wide eyed, in our chairs the whole time, while everyone around us was singing along and cheering at all the 'right parts'. There was one song where everyone would yell in unison, then clap, or something like that. We looked at each other and just busted out laughing because we realized we had absolutely no idea what was going on.

I'd previously heard a couple of songs through friends but I just didn't know how/when I was supposed to get involved - you just can't tell these things from listening to a CD. I was awfully relieved when they played "bouncing around the room" and that "swinging from my vines" song. At least I wasn't at a complete loss.

You're either into Phish or you're not. I guess I'm not.

The music was pretty good though. And they had a decent light show.

[ 02-15-2002: Message edited by: seb ]</p>
  • Reply 94 of 107
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Weird list. I can agree on many of the names but they screwed up much of the order. For instance: Nirvana at 5 and Sonic Youth only at 17? t should be the exact opposite. And where are any of the bands from the english late80/early90 indie scene? Bands like My Bloody Valentine, Charlatans, Ride, Swervedriver? That scene (esp. MBV) was more innovative than any of the grounge bands (despite the popularity of the latter) and I even saw (and was fan of) Pearl Jam, Nirvana and Smashing Pumpkins at venues with sub-500 audience in early 90s.

Greatest record of the 90s: My Bloody Valentine: "Loveless". It was so radical that it destroyed the whole scene.
  • Reply 95 of 107
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Pink Floyd only 89?!?!? WTF??

At least the Bboys made it in at 10 but putting PF so low invalidates the whole list. I stopped reading spin a while ago. I thought they were out of publication.
  • Reply 96 of 107
    Nice sig Outsider.
  • Reply 97 of 107
    [quote]Originally posted by Anders:

<strong>Weird list. I can agree on many of the names but they screwed up much of the order. For instance: Nirvana at 5 and Sonic Youth only at 17? t should be the exact opposite. And where are any of the bands from the english late80/early90 indie scene? Bands like My Bloody Valentine, Charlatans, Ride, Swervedriver? That scene (esp. MBV) was more innovative than any of the grounge bands (despite the popularity of the latter) and I even saw (and was fan of) Pearl Jam, Nirvana and Smashing Pumpkins at venues with sub-500 audience in early 90s.

Greatest record of the 90s: My Bloody Valentine: "Loveless". It was so radical that it destroyed the whole scene.</strong><hr></blockquote>

uggg... I can't stand Sonic Youth. I sat through their hour of crappy music 3 days in a row because they opened for Pearl Jam. I know a lot of people regard them highly but god I just don't see anything there.

BTW, isn't that Spin list a list of the most "influential" bands and not best bands of all time?
  • Reply 98 of 107
    Well the cover says "THe 50 Greatest Bands of All Time," and the actual article is titled "The 50 Greatest Bands."

But OTOH it does talk about their influence a lot...
  • Reply 99 of 107
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Sonic youth is good stuff. I wouldn't put them as high as anders would, but they're good. The Flaming Lips are also really good. Artistically talented, but they don't get the press. Now, radiohead way below Nirvana? It's got to be an influence thing and not an actual "greatness" ranking because there's no way in hell that should happen. I'm glad P.J.'s on there. They are too underrated, in my opinion. Not just because I love their music, but their politics too. They're not afraid to take a stand on what they believe and I think that they have developed into the role of being role-models nicely. They've matured a lot and will be around for a long time to come. At least I can be assured of buying some new music every once in a while with them around
  • Reply 100 of 107
    The Beatles were not a "boy band". Now, the Monkees - THERE is a 60's boy band for ya...

Dylan or Beatles more influentual? Well, Dylan had a huge influence on the Beatles. Anyone think Dylan was influenced by the Beatles?

As far as hot live bands / "Jam Bands ", no one holds a candle to <a href="http://www.radiators.org"; target="_blank">The Radiators</a>

Think Stevie Ray Vaughn meets Little Feat meets Grateful Dead..... and they are a bar band, so you can actually get up close and SEE what they play. Much like the Dead, they rotate about 500 songs, and no two shows are ever the same, and their fans are, well, VERY devoted.... much like we are with our Macs